Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Are Fixies Legal?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Are Fixies Legal?

Old 05-01-19, 11:52 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Are Fixies Legal?

In Georgia (as well as most states from what I have read) all bicycles must have at least a rear brake capable of locking the wheel and causing a skid. If bikes have a front brake, then they must also have a rear brake.

How are you fixie-riders getting around that?
Old 05-01-19, 12:01 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Avoid the po-po.
Old 05-01-19, 12:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
If bikes have a front brake, then they must also have a rear brake.
Are you sure? Seems like an unusual requirement.
Old 05-01-19, 12:16 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
Have you considered putting brakes on your bike? I'll bet that's a reasonable solution.
Old 05-01-19, 12:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The secret is, probably no one cares. Some places like NYC have cops out ticketing cyclists (and everyone else) in a harassing sort of way. If your town is like that, they might get you for it, but only because they were going to get you for something. My city and county will only do you for speeding on a bike trail and enforcement is like a few weekends a year. This is the kind of law that will only be enforced on you if you cause a big loss that draws the police and inspires them to throw the book at you. There are lots of laws on the books like this... the stretchy dog leashes we all like to complain about are illegal here, the law requires a <6ft lead, but they're still for sale and widely used. No one is getting cited unless their dog bites a face off. A driver who buzzes a cyclist <3ft is going to be ignored unless he buzzes the cyclist <0ft and then gets caught.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-01-19, 12:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In Georgia (as well as most states from what I have read) all bicycles must have at least a rear brake capable of locking the wheel and causing a skid. If bikes have a front brake, then they must also have a rear brake.

I think you are mistaken. Here is the requirement in Georgia:

Ga. Code Ann., § 40-6-296§ 40-6-296. Lights and other equipment on bicycles; helmets by persons under 16 years of ageCurrentness(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a light on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of 300 feet to the front and with a light on the back which shall emit a red light visible from a distance of 300 feet to the rear. Any bicycle equipped with a red reflector on the rear that is approved by the Department of Public Safety shall not be required to have a light on the rear of the bicycle.(b) Every bicycle sold or operated shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level pavement.(c) No bicycle shall be equipped or operated while equipped with a set of handlebars so raised that the operator must elevate his or her hands above the operator’s shoulders in order to grasp the normal steering grip area.(d)(1) No person under the age of 16 years shall operate or be a passenger on a bicycle on a highway, bicycle path, bicycle lane, or sidewalk under the jurisdiction or control of this state or any local political subdivision thereof without wearing a bicycle helmet.(2) For the purposes of this subsection, the term “bicycle helmet” means a piece of protective headgear which meets or exceeds the impact standards for bicycle helmets set by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) or the Snell Memorial Foundation.(3) For the purposes of this subsection, a person shall be deemed to wear a bicycle helmet only if a bicycle helmet of good fit is fastened securely upon such person’s head with the straps of such bicycle helmet.(4) No bicycle without an accompanying protective bicycle helmet shall be rented or leased to or for the use of any person under the age of 16 years unless that person is in possession of a bicycle helmet at the time of the rental or lease.(5) Violation of any provision of this subsection shall not constitute negligence per se nor contributory negligence per se or be considered evidence of negligence or liability.(6) No person under the age of 16 failing to comply with any provision of this subsection shall be fined or imprisoned.Ga. Code Ann. § 40-6-296 (West)

There does not seem to be any specific requirement that the brake be mounted on a particular wheel. And FWIW, the requirement is identical to California's.
Old 05-01-19, 12:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I believe Oregon's statutes read the same. Now Portland has a lot of brakeless fix gear riders. Haven't heard of any court cases n recent years but I have not had my ears close to the ground.

I ride fix gears with good brakes, front and rear, and have since I started 43 years ago. I enjoy passing the brakeless riders going downhill. (Still something of a kid at heart. I find downhill speed fun!) I also know well how much the old injuries of my twenties hurt now that I am in my later sixties.

Ben
Old 05-01-19, 12:52 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Here is the requirement in Texas:

"(a) A person may not operate a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a brake capable of making a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement. (B) lamp that emits a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the bicycle."

So, you can also be ticketed for not having a tail light, but I never have been. The brake requirement is worded in such a way that it only makes sense when applied to a rear brake. Therefore, a cop could probably ticket me for only having a front brake on my fixed gear, unless I could somehow demonstrate the ability to skid my bike on dry clean pavement without high siding my bike first.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-01-19, 12:56 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Pretty interesting (stupid as ****) how these brake laws are so focused on making bikes skid, which is kinda the opposite of making bikes stop.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 05-01-19, 01:17 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
As a resident of Savannah, Ga. there are plenty of fixed gear riders, even the ultra stupid brakeless riders. To my knowledge, nobody has ever been ticketed for this. Most local law enforcement is very strict on the light laws though. I would imagine a lot of police officers don’t actually know what the law specifically states about this, so as long as a cyclist isn’t endangering themselves or others, there won’t be an issue. As far as the lights, I have been told by more than one officer, that they look very carefully for a bike riding after dark, to have both a light and a red rear reflector. (Same requirement as car taillights, mind you). I don’t know if anyone has hd issues with front lights though. I’ve shard the opinion that all bicycle front lights should have a certain output (brightness) to be road legal, but that’s another discussion. I put out 5,000 lumens, so I’m good anyway.

i don’t know how the laws are enforced in Atlanta or some of the other smaller cities like Augusta, Athens, etc. But I would say you won’t have any issues riding a fixed bicycle here. Of course my city is a bit different because of the high number of bicycle commuters.

also, FYI, I only have a front brake on my SS commuter.
Old 05-01-19, 01:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I only have a front brake on my FG, but it's an ultegra caliper with koolstop pads and I can make it skid. (I'd rather not, though.)
Old 05-01-19, 04:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
99% of my riding is in the Roswell/Alpharetta/John's Creek area. I have never seen a cop hassling a cyclist here, about anything. Except once when I was stopped entering the Greenway at night, but that wasn't traffic code related.
Old 05-01-19, 04:28 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Here is the requirement in Texas:

"(a) A person may not operate a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a brake capable of making a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement. (B) lamp that emits a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the bicycle."

So, you can also be ticketed for not having a tail light, but I never have been. The brake requirement is worded in such a way that it only makes sense when applied to a rear brake. Therefore, a cop could probably ticket me for only having a front brake on my fixed gear, unless I could somehow demonstrate the ability to skid my bike on dry clean pavement without high siding my bike first.
With a fixie you could ride backwards to skid the front wheel. If you can't ride backwards, I guess you're in violation.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-01-19, 06:45 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Ok... A lot of fun answers. It was kind of a "hmmm...." question, so don't take it too seriously. Still... If they don't have a brake, they're not actually legal.

I don't think a cop is ever going to hassle a cyclist on a fixie - unless he plows into someone. I also don't think any bike shops will get raided for selling non-compliant bicycles.
For the most part I figure it's just a law that does not get enforced much, if at all. And let's be honest... we get away with stuff because we are on bikes. I've been known to exceed the posted speed limit, maybe not come to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign, and I may have passed a cop...on the outside of the lane...while exceeding the speed limit by quite a bit (not ticket... he just laughed). These are all things we could get a ticket for, but we kinda get a pass because we're on a bike.

And skidding the rear wheel is from Uniform Vehicle Code, not Georgia. Muh bad, y'all.
And I'm not actually a fixed-gear cyclist (clutch the pearls), I'm just reading a book on Bicycles and he Law, and the question popped into my head, so I asked it here.
Old 05-01-19, 07:14 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
As a resident of Savannah, Ga. there are plenty of fixed gear riders, even the ultra stupid brakeless riders. To my knowledge, nobody has ever been ticketed for this. Most local law enforcement is very strict on the light laws though. I would imagine a lot of police officers don’t actually know what the law specifically states about this, so as long as a cyclist isn’t endangering themselves or others, there won’t be an issue. As far as the lights, I have been told by more than one officer, that they look very carefully for a bike riding after dark, to have both a light and a red rear reflector. (Same requirement as car taillights, mind you). I don’t know if anyone has hd issues with front lights though. I’ve shard the opinion that all bicycle front lights should have a certain output (brightness) to be road legal, but that’s another discussion. I put out 5,000 lumens, so I’m good anyway.

i don’t know how the laws are enforced in Atlanta or some of the other smaller cities like Augusta, Athens, etc. But I would say you won’t have any issues riding a fixed bicycle here. Of course my city is a bit different because of the high number of bicycle commuters.

also, FYI, I only have a front brake on my SS commuter.
No issue in Atlanta. I have a front brake only and have been riding fixed here for almost 3 years. As others have stated before, my gut feeling is that as long as you have lights and turn them on at night, you are good. The Silver Comet Trail is a popular spot for cyclists, and is also aggressively patrolled by Police in Paulding county. They don't seem to notice or care that I only have a front brake. As long as you aren't a danger to others, chances are, you are good.

Dave
Old 05-01-19, 07:34 PM
phobus

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Pretty interesting (stupid as ****) how these brake laws are so focused on making bikes skid, which is kinda the opposite of making bikes stop.
The OP's example just says the brake must be capable of making the rear skid, as a minimum standard of performance. If you're writing a law that says a rear brake is the minimum, that seems like a reasonable way to ensure it's functional.

In other news:
Old 05-01-19, 07:39 PM
phobus

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Also, I think you could argue that any fixed gear bike, by its nature, has a rear brake. It probably won't get you out of a ticket (let's face it, if a cop wants to write you a ticket, they're going to write you a ticket) but I think it's a valid argument.
Likes For phobus:
Old 05-01-19, 08:38 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i once got pulled over in seattle on my brakeless fixie for running a red light. the cop was mostly focused on my bike rather than the law i actually broke (running the light) and was sweating me for not having brakes. i told him i did, in fact, have a rear brake. it was a foot brake. he asked me to demonstrate, so i did a couple skids for his entertainment and he let me go.

i don't recall what the actual brake laws were up there, but i remember seeing a few fellow fixies running brakes that weren't even hooked up. iirc, the law just stated you must have a brake, and didn't go into where it had to be located or if it actually functioned as a brake.
Old 05-01-19, 09:02 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I kinda remember discussion about a guy that went to court, told the judge that he could use his legs to skid therefore they qualified as brakes.
Old 05-01-19, 10:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The problem with not running a brake relative to the law happens after you get hit or run over.

No brake means that you broke the law - the guys insurance doesn't pay for your injuries or bike, you get ticketed, a motorist could have run you over from behind but you don't have a brake and so the whole thing is your fault, etc.

-Tim-
Old 05-02-19, 06:07 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
I kinda remember discussion about a guy that went to court, told the judge that he could use his legs to skid therefore they qualified as brakes.
And what was the outcome to this?
Old 05-02-19, 07:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The problem with not running a brake relative to the law happens after you get hit or run over.

No brake means that you broke the law - the guys insurance doesn't pay for your injuries or bike, you get ticketed, a motorist could have run you over from behind but you don't have a brake and so the whole thing is your fault, etc.

-Tim-
This is a very good argument for riding with a brake people!!!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-02-19, 07:48 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
FWIW, British cycling regulations for bicycles ridden on the road have required a brake on both front and rear wheels on all bicycles, including childrens' bikes, since the early '30s; British law also regards a fixed-wheel/fixed-gear with a lockring as a sufficient rear brake. They still require a front brake, though, and a cyclist was convicted and sentenced to 18 months after killing a pedestrian while riding a brakeless fixed-gear in 2016. Here's the link.
Old 05-02-19, 09:16 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
never had an issue, don't think they give a flip long as you aren't weaving through traffic or blasting red lights. they must have more important things to worry about.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 05-02-19, 09:28 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
if i ever manage to catch a ticket for riding brakeless i'll blow it up and hang it in my garage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.