Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 Canondale Supersix?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2020 Canondale Supersix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 10:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
2020 Canondale Supersix?

What do you guys think of the new Supersix?

Ultegra and Dura Ace builds don't include rim brake versions and it looks like the High Modulus frame is disk only as well.

The Ultegra version above has 160 mm rotors in the front. My impression is that most road bikes come with 140's, no?

Seems like the thing is all Canondale branded components apart from the gearset and brakes. Anyone know if this is available as a frameset?

The older generation Supersix was getting a little long in the tooth but there should be some really good deals in the near future.

-Tim-
Old 07-07-19, 11:26 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
It looks interesting but I'll reserve judgement until I read some reviews. The problem for US customers is that it will cost >$4k to get Ultegra. That's out of my range.
Old 07-07-19, 01:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Yep, no rim brakes for the High Mod version. Only disks if you want the lighter frame. That doesn't make weight weenie sense but there it is.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/2020...t-ride-review/
Old 07-07-19, 01:56 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Re: good deals on older models. I just got my 2018 Supersix evo disc Ultegra Di2 for 25% off msrp at my LBS (official dealer). I couldn’t pass up the Di2 at that price (literally the next lowest priced Di2 bike was $1K more) even though I wish this bike had better wheels and a thru axle in the rear. Not that I have anything against QRs, it’s just easier for me to line up a TA. Other than those two things I’m thrilled with everything else.
Old 07-07-19, 03:42 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yep, no rim brakes for the High Mod version. Only disks if you want the lighter frame. That doesn't make weight weenie sense but there it is.

apparently because the non high mod frame still beats the UCI limit and they need to add weight the pro teams just use that with rim brakes for mtn stages and have a more comfortable frame than have to add more weight to a high mod frame.
Old 07-08-19, 07:18 AM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
The bike has a ton of potential in my opinion. The data published by C'dale shows it to be a considerable watt savings at 30mph and a moderate savings at a more modest pace of 20mph.

I'm a fan, and looking for a racier bike. My disappointment? No Ultegra Di2 kit for men, if/when they do the price will mirror the woman's bike at $6,700, that's a lot of coin. The existing Ultegra option doesn't have an Ultegra crank which will make fitting a power meter more difficult. That's super disappointing. Maybe I look at the 105kit and swap the crankset? Seems like unnecessary added cost but many mfg's are now spec'ing their own cranksets.
Old 07-08-19, 12:45 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't like the new trend towards integration, with proprietary stems/ handlebars, etc.
I love my 2013 Evo and was seriously ready to consider the 2020 Evo until I realized I probably wouldn't be able to swap out the handlebars, stem and possibly seat post too, to be able to dial in the same fit I have with my current bike.
FF to 5:50 of this video where the guy pretty much summed up my feelings towards integration using their own proprietary stuff that can't be swapped out. Not just on the Evo, but on a bunch of new bikes that have recently come out.
Likes For BarryJo:
Old 07-09-19, 07:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
The existing Ultegra option doesn't have an Ultegra crank which will make fitting a power meter more difficult. That's super disappointing. Maybe I look at the 105kit and swap the crankset? Seems like unnecessary added cost but many mfg's are now spec'ing their own cranksets.
The Di2 models look like they're shipping with a Power2Max crankset as standard (likely needs to be paid for/unlocked). With the non-Di2 Ultegra, it may be as easy as a spider swap, again with a P2M. This assumes that the crankset on there has the same assembly method as the SI, SISL, etc.
Old 07-09-19, 07:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
The Ultegra version above has 160 mm rotors in the front. My impression is that most road bikes come with 140's, no?ture.

-Tim-
I've seen plenty with both 160 and 140. Sometimes, it's even mixed - 160 up front, 140 in the rear.
Old 07-09-19, 12:26 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
It looks interesting but I'll reserve judgement until I read some reviews. The problem for US customers is that it will cost >$4k to get Ultegra. That's out of my range.
What do you think a review would tell you?
They are all the same.
Old 07-09-19, 12:42 PM
Robert A

A review will tell you everything you want to know about the new frame -- handling, cornering, stability, responsiveness, comfort. And most importantly, how the bike compares to the predecessor and to other bikes.

We really don't know how the new SuperSix (and eventual CAAD13) compare to the prior gen.

Originally Posted by Dean V
What do you think a review would tell you?
They are all the same.
Old 07-09-19, 01:21 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
At this point, you might as well pick a bike based on the paint job. And none of the Cannondale paint jobs interest me in the slightest.
Old 07-09-19, 01:46 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
What do you guys think of the new Supersix?

I want that one right there^^^^ Gimme a 58, please!

Last edited by Clipped_in; 07-09-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 01:55 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
At this point, you might as well pick a bike based on the paint job. And none of the Cannondale paint jobs interest me in the slightest.
I considered paint jobs, from Celeste green to whatever color the 2019 Domane was painted, but I felt that after test riding three different bikes I liked how my Synapse felt the best. There were, I learned, differences other than paint jobs...
Old 07-09-19, 02:17 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
A review will tell you everything you want to know about the new frame -- handling, cornering, stability, responsiveness, comfort. And most importantly, how the bike compares to the predecessor and to other bikes.

We really don't know how the new SuperSix (and eventual CAAD13) compare to the prior gen.
No it won't. Bikes at this level now are all very good and a "bike test" is purely subjective and isn't really going tell you anything meaningful.
Yes, they will rave about this and that and fill up their "column inches" but it is really just a load of hot air.
I saw one of these yesterday actually. Looks nice.
Old 07-09-19, 02:20 PM
Robert A

Disagree. Last year when I was deciding between the CAAD12 and SuperSix, the reviews I read helped nail down the subtle differences between the two bikes. Yes, reviewers rave because bikes are "so good" these days, but important information can be derived from them.

No it won't. Bikes at this level now are all very good and a "bike test" is purely subjective and isn't really going tell you anything meaningful.
Yes, they will rave about this and that and fill up their "column inches" but it is really just a load of hot air.
Old 07-09-19, 04:48 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts

Weightweenie that I am, cycling value that you don't want to spend energy to reach speed you then have to reduce, and that rotating mass matters for acceleration, I won't be buying discs if I can help it. My kid may insist and I have a grad present. But I hope to talk him out of it.

I mentioned I'm re-building his somewhat normal MASI with steel spindle cranks and pedals to about 12#. That would be 14# with discs and rotating steel with a center of mass ~70mm from the hub adds to the whole centripetal acceleration thing (v^2/r where r is the center of mass). I get it is closer to the hub than the rim. But we still need thick rim tracks for clinchers (and tubulars are already strong) so why not use them for brakes too. That is is you ride is nice dry areas, and I do.

Last edited by Doge; 07-10-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 07:51 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
So is EF riding on non hi-mod versions since they are still using rim brakes in the tour? Honestly asking.
Old 07-10-19, 07:15 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
So is EF riding on non hi-mod versions since they are still using rim brakes in the tour? Honestly asking.
Maybe.

It's not uncommon for companies to make special versions for pro riders, so it is quite plausible that they are on hi-mod versions with rim brakes. (And in some cases, manufacturers are selling rim-brake versions as framesets only.)

At the same time, equipment has gotten so light that many pro teams need to add weight to their bikes to meet the minimum weight standard. (Doge can speak to this as he has had to add weights to his kid's bikes when he was racing in Europe.) As such, they might opt for the heavier non-hi-mod version to help meet that minimum.
Old 07-10-19, 10:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I agree about the value of reviews, but there are differences between bikes because riders have different tastes. You aren't going to get a bad bike at this level, but do you prefer it to respond immediately to steering input or more slowly and dileberately, etc.
Old 07-10-19, 01:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Doge
Weightweenie that I am, cycling value that you don't want to spend energy to reach speed you then have to reduce, and that rotating mass matters for acceleration, I won't be buying discs if I can help it. My kid may insist and I have a grad present. But I hope to talk him out of it.

I mentioned I'm re-building his somewhat normal MASI with steel spindle cranks and pedals to about 12#. That would be 14# with discs and rotating steel with a center of mass ~70mm from the hub adds to the who centripetal acceleration thing (v^2/r where r is the center of mass). I get it is closer to the hub than the rim. But we still need thick rim tracks for clinchers (and tubulars are already strong) so why not use them for brakes too. That is is you ride is nice dry areas, and I do.
I kinda feel the same way and am not really interested in disk for the road.

This and some of the proprietary/integration issues brought up rule out the Canaondale.

-Tim-
Old 07-10-19, 02:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Disc brakes are like derailleurs, not strictly necessary, be definitely an improvement.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-10-19, 02:42 PM
CasualInSoCal

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I agree about the value of reviews, but there are differences between bikes because riders have different tastes. You aren't going to get a bad bike at this level, but do you prefer it to respond immediately to steering input or more slowly and dileberately, etc.
Completely agreed. At this price level, with well-known brands, the most important factor in my purchasing decision is the color, and if the bike excites me or not. And by this measure these new SuperSix Evo's probably wouldn't be on my shopping list.
Old 07-10-19, 03:40 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
...Doge can speak to this as he has had to add weights to his kid's bikes when he was racing in Europe.) As such, they might opt for the heavier non-hi-mod version to help meet that minimum.
The UCI pros have weight to spare. Lead in seat tube, or discs. Generally the team rides what the sponsors provide, but you can see hill climbing GC riders go off brand.

This to me is not about quality, but focus and fit. I think most on this post are pretty experienced.
If living in the PNW then discs might be a big consideration, while if living in SoCal - or racing the TdF they are for marketing.
Old 07-11-19, 05:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Re: good deals on older models. I just got my 2018 Supersix evo disc Ultegra Di2 for 25% off msrp at my LBS (official dealer). I couldn’t pass up the Di2 at that price (literally the next lowest priced Di2 bike was $1K more) even though I wish this bike had better wheels and a thru axle in the rear. Not that I have anything against QRs, it’s just easier for me to line up a TA. Other than those two things I’m thrilled with everything else.
for this new one.. price of entry for Di2 at ultegra level is $7,750, about $3500 over the nonDi2 ultegra model (yes, there are other things they also upgraded including the frame). Not sure why bike manufacturers don't look at Di2 as a groupset that can be attractive to a buyer for any specced level of a frame and complete bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.