Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My 2013 Trek 8.4 DS is uncomfortable !!!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 05:10 PM
WarrenC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I own a 2013 Trek 8.4 DS bike from new and really like it . . . except for it's not comfortable. Within 15 minutes or so, my hands start getting numb and usually my shoulders and neck start aching. I have tried adjusting just about everything, from moving the seat back to front, the height of the seat and angle. I ended up changing the stem to a much shorter one, raising the stem and even replaced the handle bar to one of those butterfly trekking bars. It's better than before but I still have issues, even after 6 years. I kept telling myself that I'll get used to it, but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it me or the bike? Is the discomfort normal.
Old 07-15-19, 11:06 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
What you explain could be a result of incorrect frame size, incorrect seat position or height, incorrect stem length or your handlebar being too low. It could be that all you may need to do is to raise your handlebar even further. A stem riser doesn't cost much, so it may be worth to try it.

My wrists and hands were getting numb on my flat bar, but it went away as soon as i swapped the bar with an FSA Metropolis bar and put Ergon grips on it.
Old 07-16-19, 03:41 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Could you post a photo of your current bike setup and your height. Better if you are on it so we can see how you fit.

There is a subforum about bike fit by the way - https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/