Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes in road racing

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 01:30 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

this year is supposed to be the beta test for disc brakes in the peloton. I think it will go well, and that disc brakes will be the future for road bikes.

advantages:
better stopping power
much less rim wear (leading to longer wheel lifespan and long term money savings)
less maintenance on hydraulic components
no more of that haunting squealing

disadvantages:
safety (we're about to find out; I doubt it's anymore dangerous than low spoke count wheels)
cost (greater upfront cost compared to calipers, but imo less long term cost due to long lasting rims)
weight/aero (weight not really an issue. aero needs more data)
rotors easily bend (pita, but manageable)
wheel compatibility (bring your own for the wheel pit)

i personally think the pros outweigh the cons. what do other people think?

anyone work in the industry? will the component manufacturers come out with disc brake options in the near future?
Old 01-07-16, 02:05 AM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems with Bicycles, all the greatest Technology advances occur with Mountain Bikes. When Discs first came to Mtn Bikes, everyone seemed to open to it. Also for Mountain Bikes, there is no question to use discs due to terrain and mud.

For Road Bicycles that ride on paved roads, there is not too much gunk that can get between rim and brake. For Road Bikes, I don't really see the need for them unless you are taking some long and steep descent where brake fade becomes an issue, or you regularly ride in bad weather on muddy road that destroys rims.

For Carbon rims, they are almost a must. We really don't want gunk to get between the pad and the carbon rim, some of that gunk can cut up the carbon rim pretty good. Carbon rims also can get extremely hot on long descents causing blowouts even in dry weather.

My next Road Bike will have disc brakes, but that will be awhile, probably in 3-5 years from now because I just bought a Carbon Fiber Dura-Ace equipped bike this past year, and I just want to get some good use out of this bike before I move on. Hopefully in 3 years they will have all the kinks worked and these road disc brakes will be stronger, lighter, more durable, and cheaper.

I think most Road Bikers will NOT embrace Disc Brakes. Mountain Bikers seems to be more open to try different things. Mtn Bikers have no problem trying new technology, and Mtn Bikers tend to experiment more with different tires, forks, shox, wheels, frames, etc. With Road Bikers, when they like something, they stick to it, be it tires, frame material, or whatever. Also, Road Bikers tend to be more frugal.

Road Bicyclists also tend to be Traditionalist, so expect a lot Hate and Push Back from these Traditionalists. I myself, can't wait to hear what the Traditionalist Haterz have to say!

Last edited by ErichVonCartman; 01-07-16 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 02:24 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yea i don't like the snobbish roadie culture either. maybe i should take up mtbing.

3-5 years seems reasonable to me.. I just wish it could be faster.
Old 01-07-16, 02:54 AM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
yea i don't like the snobbish roadie culture either. maybe i should take up mtbing.

3-5 years seems reasonable to me.. I just wish it could be faster.

Mtn Bike Races tend to be filled with cool people that are chill and like to party.
Also, it may be less than 3-5 years where they become stronger, lighter, more durable, and cheaper.... I am just saying my next Road bike won't be till 3-5 years from now.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-07-16 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Removed inflammatory comments
Old 01-07-16, 02:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I've been seeing them on the road around here more and more (road bikes w/ disc brakes that is).

In the peloton, haven't seen any.

Personally I don't see the need for it, my brakes work just fine dammit!

my race videos
Old 01-07-16, 03:00 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I don't see any need for disc brakes in the racing that I do, although they would be nice to have (but not necessary) on a couple descents a year that I do on training rides in wet weather. I'm not looking forward to the added cost, weight and lack of wheel compatibility on my bikes. So, I probably won't buy a disc brake equipped race bike until I have to.
Old 01-07-16, 04:06 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a disc brake road bike. I commute on it, with wide tires, often in nasty weather, often with a lot of cargo, and often in heavy traffic where I might need a slam stop at any moment. For this kind of riding, I love my discs.

Personally I do not see how any of that applies to the pro racing riders.

If it's any kind of disadvantage, they will quit using them quickly. Not sure whether they care about extended rim life - my guess would be they replace everything long before it wears out.
Old 01-07-16, 04:24 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GCN did a test of rim brakes vs. disks on stopping distance.

Different riders, different bikes (I think), so the validity of their "tests" is suspect, however given the skill of both of the riders I'd assume they both know how to stop as quickly as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHFS...CyclingNetwork

Disks won out in all cases. (Stopped quicker.)

Before I saw that video I thought disks on a road bike were useless, now I'm not sure.
Old 01-07-16, 04:26 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alathIN
I have a disc brake road bike. I commute on it, with wide tires, often in nasty weather, often with a lot of cargo, and often in heavy traffic where I might need a slam stop at any moment. For this kind of riding, I love my discs.

If it's any kind of disadvantage, they will quit using them quickly. Not sure whether they care about extended rim life - my guess would be they replace everything long before it wears out.
who said anything about pros?
Old 01-07-16, 04:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can already lock up both wheels with my supposedly inferior rim brakes. The limiting factor in stopping is the tires against the road, not the pads against the rim. This is a solution for a problem I don't have.
Old 01-07-16, 04:36 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN

For Pros, I see it the same way. In addition to what you said....

Pros run tubulars, so they don't have to worry about blow outs of tubes on long descent that care caused by the rim over heating with caliper brakes.

Only time I see Pros using disc is when it is wet (because Carbon Rims suck at stopping). But then again, if they have long and steep descents, that means they will spend about 400% more time climbing, and if the disc set up can't be light as calipers (which it most likely never will never be), then the ascent will more than negates all their gains on the descent... because no one ever makes up time descending, you only make up time and catch people ascending.

I do NOT see any advantage for the Pros, I only see Disc as an advantage to me. I run clinchers, I like my rims to last, I want more stopping power on the long descents, I want to stop regardless of rain or road conditions. That is why my next bike will have discs.

Last edited by ErichVonCartman; 01-07-16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 04:48 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I can already lock up both wheels with my supposedly inferior rim brakes. The limiting factor in stopping is the tires against the road, not the pads against the rim. This is a solution for a problem I don't have.
I used to think the exact same thing you do. It's not an issue if you can lock the wheels up. The issue is with modulation. Disk brakes supposedly give you greater modulation, which means you can get closer to the "lock wheels up" line which means you stop quicker, see the video I posted above.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rim brakes on my road bikes. I doubt I'll ever willingly buy disk brakes from my road bikes, but if they do stop you quicker, it MAY save some people from getting hurt.
Old 01-07-16, 04:57 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I used to think the exact same thing you do. It's not an issue if you can lock the wheels up. The issue is with modulation. Disk brakes supposedly give you greater modulation, which means you can get closer to the "lock wheels up" line which means you stop quicker, see the video I posted above.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rim brakes on my road bikes. I doubt I'll ever willingly buy disk brakes from my road bikes, but if they do stop you quicker, it MAY save some people from getting hurt.
Yup yup... Calipers are like a light switch, the wheels lock up to easily. It's all about controlled stopping as quickly as possible. Car Brakes these days are much improved since 30 years ago, the pads are better and the disc are better... cars can stop much faster now and it's NOT because they can lock up their brakes easier. It is because they have CONTROLLED STOPPING.

In addition to that....
1) Rim Brakes have "brake fade", disc does not. Once a Rim and Brake heats up, the brakes will seem like it fails to stop.

2) Disc Brakes does not care about rain or mud, they stop in the rain and mud just as well as when it is dry and clean. Rim Brakes at times will fail to work in the rain and mud.
Old 01-07-16, 05:01 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichVonCartman
Yup yup... Calipers are like a light switch, the wheels lock up too easily.
I wouldn't go THAT far. But yes, your subsequent points are true.
Old 01-07-16, 05:22 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I wouldn't go THAT far. But yes, your subsequent points are true.

Please allow me to clarify our miscommunication....

Caliper brakes do take a lot more pull on the levers, so in that sense they are not "easy to lock up".

However, when I said "lock up to easy" in the above, I meant in one instance you do not have enough brakes, then the next instance you lock up. That basically what it means to have NO modulation.

Now if we want easy lever pull, we go v-brakes. But V-Brakes still has the no-modulation.
Old 01-07-16, 06:55 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isn't the major barrier here the issue with neutral wheel support?
Old 01-07-16, 07:24 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That's one of the issues. Not the main issue in my opinion, and not even a major issue at that. Bring your own wheels. And if there are wheel support, the rotor positions should all be compatible
Old 01-07-16, 07:56 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the issue is standardization. Once all of the manufacturers settle on a standard for axles, spacing, and all of that other crap, then I'll think about it. Just because the UCI says they want something, doesn't mean the manufacturers are going to jump on board immediately. This is going to take years to sort out to the mid and lower tier bikes.

I've tried road cable discs (BB5/BB7) and cable-actuated hydro. They were alright, but nothing that made me jump up and down and immediately convert. I haven't had the opportunity to try full hydro on a road, so I'll reserve judgement. I ride a lot in the rain, and I do a fair amount of descending. I'm at least interested in the concept.

Another factor for me is the money I have tied up in 10 speed components. I like what I have and see no reason to change until it's unsupportable at the current level of components. That hasn't happened, and nothing I've seen or tried with 11 speed (including Di2 and hydro) has made me want to jump ship. Maybe later, but I'll let other people be the early adopters.
Old 01-07-16, 09:39 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Are discs a drag? Wind tunnel testing disc brake road bikes - VeloNews.com
Old 01-07-16, 10:17 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pros run tubulars, so they don't have to worry about blow outs of tubes on long descent that care caused by the rim over heating with caliper brakes.
no one really does on modern carbon
Old 01-07-16, 10:19 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
no one really does on modern carbon

no one really does what with modern carbon? Get blow outs?
Old 01-07-16, 10:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Yup yup... Calipers are like a light switch, the wheels lock up to easily. It's all about controlled stopping as quickly as possible. Car Brakes these days are much improved since 30 years ago, the pads are better and the disc are better... cars can stop much faster now and it's NOT because they can lock up their brakes easier. It is because they have CONTROLLED STOPPING.

In addition to that....
1) Rim Brakes have "brake fade", disc does not. Once a Rim and Brake heats up, the brakes will seem like it fails to stop.

2) Disc Brakes does not care about rain or mud, they stop in the rain and mud just as well as when it is dry and clean. Rim Brakes at times will fail to work in the rain and mud.
Don't know much about disc brakes. Our rim brakes have no such issues. They don't fade, don't heat, don't lock and stop very well in the rain.
Old 01-07-16, 10:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
modern carbon wheels and pads don't generate heat like they used to. I rode carbon clinchers at EC and I'm a coward so there was plenty of drag breaking.
Old 01-07-16, 10:21 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Correct. One reason is it is a poor heat conductor.
Old 01-07-16, 10:25 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
modern carbon wheels and pads don't generate heat like they used to. I rode carbon clinchers at EC and I'm a coward so there was plenty of drag breaking.
Well that is good to hear. I see you are in Redwood City!

I am not really worry about the blowouts myself, I have rode road bike around your way a couple of times, rode down Highway 9 from 35 to Saratoga. It is about 2000ft elevation drop in 7 miles, and I was with my Cheap Chinese Carbon Clinchers and I did not have issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.