Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is an old stock Cannondale tandem worth?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 08:14 PM
binderjb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm looking at an old stock Cannondale road tandem at College Park Bikes (Mt Airy Bikes is their sister shop) just outside DC. Road tandem, white with red lettering, Ultegra, White hubs and Sun rims (maybe 2011-13?). It was built in USA and the shop said it was the last year they were built here before they came up with a new frame design built in Taiwan, they couldn't tell me the year (even though it's new old stock so they know when they bought it). Does anyone know the good/bad of either frame? I like the thought of made in America but if the frame from Taiwan is a newer design it could be a better frame. We've ridden both and they feel different but we can't put our finger on why. Wackily, the bike shop needs to get back to us this week on how much they are asking for the bike. Not sure even what to say about that... What is this old stock bike worth? Oh yeah, and it's got a lot of miles on it looking at the tires. The 2016 Cannondale T2 is $3300 through REI so has the Taiwan built frame, DT wheels, and 105. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 04-24-16, 10:01 PM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know about the Cannondale specifically but here is a handy calculator that may help you think about your decision. It estimates the value of a tandem based on a percentage of the cost of a new tandem.

Used Tandem Price Estimating Tool
Old 04-25-16, 09:29 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Tons of tandems at this shop. A little quirky on figuring-out prices and sometimes very hard to get waited on at the Mt Airy shop. I'd be more inclined to get the US made bike but that's just me. You do wonder what the pricing should be as it is an older bike and has miles on it already, it shouldn't be priced as new. We visited the Mt Airy shop a few times and rode an older used Santana and had a hard time getting a price on the bike. They said they needed to figure out what components we wanted and then go from there, I just wanted to know as it sat.
Old 04-25-16, 12:39 PM
RedRockRider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They bike shop sounds like it's run by a very inept owner/manager.

Makes you wonder how they stay in business.
Old 04-25-16, 04:34 PM
New2Two

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
With the Ultegra components, it sounds like that is the RT2. Bicycle Blue book lists the "like new" as $1450 to $1498. New was $3300. Seeing as it hasn't been ridden, perhaps go in and offer them $2000 and see if they'll take it.
Old 04-25-16, 05:43 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I bought a new/old stock 2011 RT2 about 3yrs ago. Paid $2000.

There are a couple of differences between the 2010-2012 and the 2015-2016
Frame USA VS Taiwan
Fork Straight 1.125 vs tapered
Components Ultegra vs 105
Hubs White Inc vs DT swiss
wheels 40h vs 36h
Tires 28 vs 25
Cassette IRD vs Tiagra
Old 04-25-16, 06:55 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRockRider
They bike shop sounds like it's run by a very inept owner/manager.

Makes you wonder how they stay in business.
Mt Airy Tandems is one of the largest tandem dealers in the USA (if not THE largest). But yes, sometimes they can be quirky. They like you to make an appointment to look at tandems, which I guess is ok if they take the time to fit you and all that stuff. Regardless, they usually have a very good selection of both new and used tandems from most if not all of the main manufacturers.

I'm confused by the OP saying the C'dale is "new old stock" and then that it "obviously has lots of miles on it." Maybe it is/was a rental? I don't know that I'd give all that much cachet to the Made in USA vs overseas version of the frame.
Old 04-25-16, 07:45 PM
binderjb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. After doing a little research I found this tandem started showing up in Cannondale's catalog in 2009 and soldiered on until 2012. They didn't offer tandems in 2013 as they transitioned to building in Taiwan and the new tandems have been the same basically from 2014-2016. Nice folks at the shop and a great selection, I'll talk to them again to see if they can come down from the $3800 price they've quoted.
Old 04-25-16, 07:57 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had too many roadblocks when trying to get tandem information from Mt Airy. I even followed their contact instructions to the letter. Anyway, we reached out to Mel from Tandem's East and had a great experience and purchased a new Cannondale T2 tandem for not much more than what you were quoted.
Old 04-25-16, 08:02 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

AFAIK the 2009-2012 all had the same frame, made in a big batch in 2009 prior to the transition to overseas production, the specs changed from ultegra 6600 in 2009 to ultegra 6700 2010-2012

At that price I would take the new one at rei for $3300 (plus i believe you would be eligible for the 10% dividend)
Old 04-25-16, 09:23 PM
qspencer

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-027 (road), Miracle Bikes MC-286 (cyclocross), 1986 Raleigh Olympian, X-Peria 5200 (tandem)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the last couple of years I've followed a few of those tandems on eBay and bid on them a couple of times but never won. My recollection is that they often sell for somewhere between $2500 and $3000. I don't think I'd pay more than 3000 for one of the old ones even if it was unused.

I'm a little curious about the Shimano 105 group on the newer one. The new Shimano 105 group is 2x11 only (I have it on one of my single bikes and it's an outstanding value for the money), but I don't think it comes in a 3x10. Is it possible Cannondale is using old stock of the previous iteration of 105?
Old 05-27-16, 08:28 PM
binderjb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your advice. We bought the T2 from REI after the bike shop wouldn't lower the price from above original MSRP of the old stock Cannondale from around 2011...$3800???. Can't be mad at them because we love this bike. Very happy with our choice and gotta say, the frame paint and bits and pieces are awesome...except for the seats. It's like Cannondale has stock in Selle Italia since we had to buy two new seats to replace the factory installed. See everyone out on the road, enjoy the summer!
Old 05-27-16, 09:52 PM
ahultin

Congratulations, now you must post the obligatory photo in the "happy tandem couples" thread
Old 06-29-16, 01:20 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by briwasson
.... I'm confused by the OP saying the C'dale is "new old stock" and then that it "obviously has lots of miles on it." Maybe it is/was a rental? I don't know that I'd give all that much cachet to the Made in USA vs overseas version of the frame.
Actually he didn't say New Old Stock. NOS means NEW item produced in the past sometime and unused or uninstalled. It would be as new, save possible shelfware. He actually said "old stock" and added that it had lots of miles so he meant "old, stock and well used"
Old 06-29-16, 01:29 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by binderjb
Thank you all for your comments. After doing a little research I found this tandem started showing up in Cannondale's catalog in 2009 and soldiered on until 2012. They didn't offer tandems in 2013 as they transitioned to building in Taiwan and the new tandems have been the same basically from 2014-2016. Nice folks at the shop and a great selection, I'll talk to them again to see if they can come down from the $3800 price they've quoted.
OP; Wow that is a high price... frankly if someone quoted me $3,800 for an old, significantly used generic production tandem such at that one I would just thank them politely, walk out and find another shop! I think the $1,500 price others suggested is more in line. $1,500 is the most I have ever paid for one of those. Could only suggest need to remain detached emotionally when shopping.
Old 06-30-16, 09:36 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Actually he didn't say New Old Stock. NOS means NEW item produced in the past sometime and unused or uninstalled. It would be as new, save possible shelfware. He actually said "old stock" and added that it had lots of miles so he meant "old, stock and well used"
Check again. Original post, second line, in parentheses, "new old stock".
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 06-30-16, 03:25 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
Check again. Original post, second line, in parentheses, "new old stock".
1G;

Ok I see where you saw the "new old stock" buried down on the forth line (on my browser) of OP's query. Mea Culpa. My apologies.

But in some fairness, even though I missed the factuals, upon another review I think the cite is referring to the state at the point of original buyers purchase not really the state at the point of OP trying to buy it as old and well used in current situation. So lets see how he makes out shopping... Just hoping he doesn't grossly overpay.

=========================================
Hello all,

I'm looking at an old stock Cannondale road tandem at College Park Bikes (Mt Airy Bikes is their sister shop) just outside DC. Road tandem, white with red lettering, Ultegra, White hubs and Sun rims (maybe 2011-13?). It was built in USA and the shop said it was the last year they were built here before they came up with a new frame design built in Taiwan, they couldn't tell me the year (even though it's new old stock so they know when they bought it). Does anyone know the good/bad of either frame? I like the thought of made in America but if the frame from Taiwan is a newer design it could be a better frame. We've ridden both and they feel different but we can't put our finger on why. Wackily, the bike shop needs to get back to us this week on how much they are asking for the bike. Not sure even what to say about that... What is this old stock bike worth? Oh yeah, and it's got a lot of miles on it looking at the tires. The 2016 Cannondale T2 is $3300 through REI so has the Taiwan built frame, DT wheels, and 105. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 07-05-16, 05:16 PM
DrMarkR

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Old Stock....or Old Stock......$3800 for that tandem, USED, is ridiculous.
Old 07-23-18, 11:42 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I don't know anything about the value, but we have what sounds like the same bike, and we're happy with it.