Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding without gloves - why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding without gloves - why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 07:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
It's like with other things: you know you should wear them, but it just feels so much better without.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-17-18, 08:43 PM
Ryan Olivas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm seeing more and more competitive riders go without gloves, both local club riders and the pros. I'm a fan of gloves to manage sweat on my hands for better grip, plus they're great for wiping away snot. I get that gloves are not necessary for every ride, but when it's cold, I want to keep my fingers warm. While watching spring classics I'm seeing many pros riding with bare handed in cold/wet temps - Why?
Same thoughts and I treat these bike accessories a necessary thing to bring. They're like an additional protection for our daily cycling.
Old 04-18-18, 05:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
You ride through the cold days in the NE winter without gloves? And I've seen several recumbent crashes that included road rash to the rider's hands. Since those are my main reasons for wearing gloves I don't see why they wouldn't still apply when riding a recumbent.
I just dont ride if it is below 65. I suffer thru riding a recumbent exercise machine at the local health club.
Old 04-18-18, 07:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
I dunno... Personal preference? I wear them when I'm cycling (and often when I'm not) to protect my hands, or just because I want to (and can).

I finally had some time to watching Paris-Roubaix (not a cold day, but lots of vibration on the hands); there were riders with and without gloves. One of the TV presenters made a comment that made it appears there is bravado for the pros to ride with bare hands. Pro cycling has a lot of mind games and letting the other riders know that you're not suffering is definitely part of that. IMHO this is a major part of the pros decision to ride without gloves.

Some funny comments through this thread about what the pros do and how us mamils want to emulate everything they do. As the OP, I'll make something clear about me... I don't care to do everything the pros do. I do enjoy watching the pros ride, and I do learn things from them that make me a stronger/faster rider. OTOH I watched Froome descend on stage 8 of the 2016 TdF (clip below), I will never emulate that riding position, I don't care how much faster it is.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-18-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 09:05 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I finally had some time to watching Paris-Roubaix (not a cold day, but lots of vibration on the hands); there were riders with and without gloves. One of the TV presenters made a comment that made it appears there is bravado for the pros to ride with bare hands. Pro cycling has a lot of mind games and letting the other riders know that you're not suffering is definitely part of that. IMHO this is a major part of the pros decision to ride without gloves.
Good point. As with any competition its as much a mental game as it is physical.

Some funny comments through this thread about what the pros do and how us mamils want to emulate everything they do. As the OP, I'll make something clear about me... I don't care to do everything the pros do. I do enjoy watching the pros ride, and I do learn things from them that make me a stronger/faster rider. OTOH I watched Froome descend on stage 8 of the 2016 TdF (clip below), I will never emulate that riding position, I don't care how much faster it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5j2AKgw6r
Functional, or just wackiness?
Old 04-18-18, 09:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Yes
Old 04-18-18, 09:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Functional.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...tour-de-france
Old 04-19-18, 08:22 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonBjr
I wear fingerless gloves all the time when riding. While it provides protection and some padding, the main reason I've worn them is for a more secure grip over what would otherwise be sweaty hands on the bars. This comes mostly from mountain biking though. Even mountain bikers go gloveless however, so I assume it depends on how much your hands sweat or the type of grips you use.
I totally agree with this.
Old 04-19-18, 08:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I had to go gloveless today.

I could use all the Vitamin D I can get this time of year!
Old 04-19-18, 09:33 PM
Zappie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just never bothered with gloves, and see no reason to.
Old 04-20-18, 05:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had to go gloveless today.

I could use all the Vitamin D I can get this time of year!

I totally get that!
Old 04-20-18, 06:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by caloso
I'm not sayin' it's not functional, I'm sayin' it's just too much risk for the average rider... the prizes/awards at the end of my rides/races don't pay enough to justify this level of risk.

Old 04-20-18, 01:41 PM
KraneXL

I'm not sayin' it's not functional, I'm sayin' it's just too much risk for the average rider... the prizes/awards at the end of my rides/races don't pay enough to justify this level of risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzvVc-FFSY
@ :10. All I can say is good thing he was wearing gloves.
Old 04-20-18, 02:01 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

@ :10. All I can say is good thing he was wearing gloves.
Best post of the year!
Old 06-06-18, 12:34 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I'm seeing more and more competitive riders go without gloves, both local club riders and the pros. I'm a fan of gloves to manage sweat on my hands for better grip, plus they're great for wiping away snot. I get that gloves are not necessary for every ride, but when it's cold, I want to keep my fingers warm. While watching spring classics I'm seeing many pros riding with bare handed in cold/wet temps - Why?
Well... I might be a glove-free convert. During a long ride on Friday, my gloves were causing some pressure so I took them off for the last 20 miles, and kinda like it. On Monday, I started my 40+ miles without gloves, no issues except the lack of a snot rag. My new Breezer Radar Pro has bartape that feels good on my bare hands and doesn't lose grip when my hands get sweaty. And my hands don't get as sweaty without gloves. I think this might be the core reason more competitive riders are going gloveless: less sweaty hands and bartape is better for grip and comfort. Saturday will be a big test - Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century).

I'm still not sure I'd want bare hands on a rainy 35F ride... it'll be a few months before I can test that.
Old 06-06-18, 01:53 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I mostly don't find much comfort or grip difference with gloves on versus off. I use unpadded full-finger gloves for warmth when desirable, and usually err towards using them for crash safety, but I do take them off if I'm too warm.

I'm never use glove padding. Hand bones can acclimate to firm contact just like sit bones can, and padding just tends to compress soft tissues and make my hands go numb.
Old 06-06-18, 02:18 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I bet the kinds of answers you'd get would be very different had you posted this in the road cycling forum.
Old 06-06-18, 02:35 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I bet the kinds of answers you'd get would be very different had you posted this in the road cycling forum.
What glove designs and colors are permissible? How many watts can you save with a pair of gloves? In what circumstances will we yell at you for some matter involving your gloves? Is it okay to use aluminum wheels while riding without gloves?
Old 06-08-18, 04:47 PM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why?
Hands have a very big projection in a brain. (The hands and mouth have a much larger area dedicated to them than other body parts.) You can stimulate a brain by stimulating the hands. In gloves it is harder to do.
Old 06-09-18, 12:17 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
I type and have soft hands, so I use fingered gloves, it feels really weird to ride gloveless for me. I ride without when i run out in a hurry I have very sticky grips and tape on most of the stuff I own
Old 06-09-18, 07:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I can honestly say that I don't watch the pros and don't care what they do. I don't even care what other non-pros do. I ride how I want to ride and do what's comfortable for me. Which includes riding with gloves and a helmet, but that's my personal preference.
Old 06-09-18, 08:30 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I asked a guy who was an assistant coach for a local development team. He said it was more like the copycat effect. Some successful rider tried it and then soon everyone is copying him.

He had no other explanation.
Old 06-09-18, 08:32 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by chelvel
Hands have a very big projection in a brain. (The hands and mouth have a much larger area dedicated to them than other body parts.) You can stimulate a brain by stimulating the hands. In gloves it is harder to do.
So many ways to go with this comment.
Old 06-09-18, 08:42 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's like with other things: you know you should wear them, but it just feels so much better without.
Are we still talking about cycling gloves?
Old 06-09-18, 03:03 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Are we still talking about cycling gloves?
Convenient for the task. They all serve the same function: protection, comfort. Its just that your "garden" variety glove wouldn't be as aerodynamic...or, as stylish!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.