Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding without gloves - why?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding without gloves - why?

Old 06-09-18, 04:27 PM
jlandry462

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear em for comfort for the most part
Old 06-10-18, 02:48 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

So many ways to go with this comment.
Don't overdo it!

My trackstands are immediately better when I stimulate brain that way. You can check it for yourself. Sqeeze the grips several times and see the effect. Sharp hard grips will work better.
Old 06-11-18, 07:07 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Well... I might be a glove-free convert. During a long ride on Friday, my gloves were causing some pressure so I took them off for the last 20 miles, and kinda like it. On Monday, I started my 40+ miles without gloves, no issues except the lack of a snot rag. My new Breezer Radar Pro has bartape that feels good on my bare hands and doesn't lose grip when my hands get sweaty. And my hands don't get as sweaty without gloves. I think this might be the core reason more competitive riders are going gloveless: less sweaty hands and bartape is better for grip and comfort. Saturday will be a big test - Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century).
I completed the Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century) on Saturday in driving rain - ~7 hours of wet to the core riding. I rolled out with bare hands and gloves in my pocket if I changed my mind. I never thought about getting the gloves out, bare hands all day were great for grip even in the pouring rain and totally comfortable. IMHO it really comes down to the right bar-tape, the Breezer has great tape for grip and comfort. I'm not sure that be happy with bare-hands on other bikes in my stable.
Old 06-11-18, 07:23 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by chelvel
Don't overdo it!

My trackstands are immediately better when I stimulate brain that way. You can check it for yourself. Sqeeze the grips several times and see the effect. Sharp hard grips will work better.
Oy vey!
Old 06-11-18, 08:36 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I asked a guy who was an assistant coach for a local development team. He said it was more like the copycat effect. Some successful rider tried it and then soon everyone is copying him.

He had no other explanation.
You don't have to take your gloves off to wave.
Old 06-11-18, 08:58 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You don't have to take your gloves off to wave.
Ah, my private stalker returns.

Don’t you have some chicken breasts to bread and deep fry?
Old 06-11-18, 09:50 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's like with other things: you know you should wear them, but it just feels so much better without.

Good one!
Old 08-20-18, 08:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

I'm seeing more and more competitive riders go without gloves, both local club riders and the pros. I'm a fan of gloves to manage sweat on my hands for better grip, plus they're great for wiping away snot. I get that gloves are not necessary for every ride, but when it's cold, I want to keep my fingers warm. While watching spring classics I'm seeing many pros riding with bare handed in cold/wet temps - Why?
OP here ... I guess I'm a full convert. I rode The DAMn on Saturday without gloves - 240 miles of gravel roads.

There were a few times I was struggling with sweaty hands, but no worse than gloves getting wet with sweat and I can dry my hands off quicker rubbing them on my shorts and some air flow.
Old 08-20-18, 09:23 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
no glove, no love
Old 08-20-18, 10:25 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I started riding a road bike when I was in school in Philly. My Univega Nuovo Sport came with that cello type tape, that offered no padding whatsoever. Riding in the city daily, glass was unavoidable. One of the local bike club guys that I did laps around the Schuylkill with showed me how to rub my front and rear tire to get off any glass before it made its way into the tire. Wouldn't want to try that without gloves. So I guess I just got into the habit back then, and still wear gloves today.

Tom
Old 08-20-18, 03:33 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

Last Sunday I showed up at a ride with two right hand gloves. It was a warm humid day for a ride along the California coast. I decided to go "au natural". I'm usually a glove guy, and this felt a little wierd at first, then I realized how comfortable it was. I wouldn't do it every day, but every so often it's nice to change things up a little, even if it is by accident. Just don't have an accident without your gloves. Years ago I had a bad crash and broke my arm and wrist, and some other important stuff. The EMTs cut off a nice Specialized glove I was wearing. I still have one nice one. And a cut one that I saved as a souvenir. The gloves did their job. No hand injuries, but lots of other places, though. Back to Sunday's ride, I use Brooks leather bar wrap on my Raleigh, and the leather got stained from my sweaty, gloveless hands.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-20-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 09:08 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Last Sunday I showed up at a ride with two right hand gloves. It was a warm humid day for a ride along the California coast. I decided to go "au natural". I'm usually a glove guy, and this felt a little wierd at first, then I realized how comfortable it was. I wouldn't do it every day, but every so often it's nice to change things up a little, even if it is by accident. Just don't have an accident without your gloves. Years ago I had a bad crash and broke my arm and wrist, and some other important stuff. The EMTs cut off a nice Specialized glove I was wearing. I still have one nice one. And a cut one that I saved as a souvenir. The gloves did their job. No hand injuries, but lots of other places, though. Back to Sunday's ride, I use Brooks leather bar wrap on my Raleigh, and the leather got stained from my sweaty, gloveless hands.
Word. ^^ Gloves also increase grip strength.
Old 08-21-18, 06:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Word. ^^ Gloves also increase grip strength.
Yes and no - it depends on the bar-tape. I have some bar-tape that requires gloves or it's slippery. However, the two bikes with Origin8 Pro Cork are great without gloves. I've struggled with pinched nerves and numbness in my hands during 100+ mile rides. Bare hands with the right tape has resolved this issue for me.

Reference, 240 miles in one day, on gravel, no gloves:
https://tmbimages.com/Cycling/Gravel...es/i-VJkq9cS/A

For the record, I'm not talking anybody outta using gloves, but I'm saying you needs to use gloves.
Old 08-21-18, 11:57 AM
chelvel

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No gloves - it is not yet cold.
Old 08-22-18, 06:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yes and no - it depends on the bar-tape. I have some bar-tape that requires gloves or it's slippery. However, the two bikes with Origin8 Pro Cork are great without gloves. I've struggled with pinched nerves and numbness in my hands during 100+ mile rides. Bare hands with the right tape has resolved this issue for me.

Reference, 240 miles in one day, on gravel, no gloves:
https://tmbimages.com/Cycling/Gravel...es/i-VJkq9cS/A

For the record, I'm not talking anybody outta using gloves, but I'm saying you needs to use gloves.
I find the Fizik 2mm tape to be excellent for bare handers.
Old 08-22-18, 07:38 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I stopped wearing gloves a year ago.
On my standard 20 - 35 mile rides they served no purpose for me so once my last pair wore out I was done.
No issues with discomfort or numbness and handlebars are not difficult to hold onto securely in any conditions on the road.
One less thing to worry about
Old 08-23-18, 09:12 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Not wearing gloves is a good excuse to shave the back of your hands.
Old 08-23-18, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I find that gloves have very little effect on numbness on rides over 100 miles, and I generally don't get it on shorter rides. I stopped wearing them for a while for comfort reasons and because I felt like I had a better grip without them and they were nasty when it was really hot. However, I just bought a pair of cheap Pearl Izumi that are quite comfortable and reduce (not eliminate) some of the callousing on my hands, and aren't too terrible in the heat.

I still consider them optional, however.
Old 08-23-18, 09:58 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
What I like about gloves is how they allow my hands to maintain a good grip even when I am sweaty. What I don't like is how fitted gloves' fit can vary so much from pair to pair, or from wet to dry, causing tightness -> numbness in fingertips. My solution is loose fitting cotton gardening gloves. They still provide grip when I'm sweaty, but there are no fit issues. And they're really cheap, so if you lose or misplace a pair, no big deal.
Old 08-23-18, 11:42 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was born in 1974 where we road bikes all the time in all season without helmets, and gloves and any other protective wear. We jumped on everything we can find and rode everywhere.

So why no gloves as well as no helmets? Don't need it!
Old 08-26-18, 12:03 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I am not a competitive rider. My "racing days" ended several years before they started.

I ride without gloves, mainly because I misplaced them.
Old 08-26-18, 02:41 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
I was born in 1974 where we road bikes all the time in all season without helmets, and gloves and any other protective wear. We jumped on everything we can find and rode everywhere.

So why no gloves as well as no helmets? Don't need it!
On the other hand:

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
Old 08-26-18, 04:59 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
On the other hand:

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
This is a lot more fun. No interest in growing up.
Old 08-26-18, 05:28 AM
raja_mastana

Bikes: Ridgeback Rapide Motion

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding without gloves since a month - just bought a pair from 100% as its starting to get cold
Old 08-26-18, 06:18 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Just don't have an accident without your gloves.
This is what keeps me wearing them. I too went down ended up with a broken humerus right up at the head. Still doing some PT and only back on the bike seriously in the past couple weeks. Without gloves, feeding myself, shaving or combing my hair would have been painful and difficult for a time, skin savers they are.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 08-26-18 at 06:44 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.