Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I've Got A Beef: Pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I've Got A Beef: Pedals

Old 11-05-18, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gone off?

Ok, so you may need some Psych therapy, for this..
Old 11-05-18, 02:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
IDK. I do know the saddle and tires on my new bike did not get one post test ride trip. They just went in the future projects bin.
i am the same way. But I don’t think we are typical.

When I think about the people i ride road and MTB with, pretty much all of them have particular pedals they like to use. But most will just ride whatever tires the bike cme with unless they really disliked them, and the same with the saddles and grips.

They also don’t spend time talking about bikes on line.

Old 11-05-18, 02:49 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
They also don’t spend time talking about bikes on line.
That is very true
Old 11-05-18, 02:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
since I don't consider the snob appeal points of "no box!"" when I purchase or ride bicycles.
Why do you feel the need to try to take a pot shot at someone. No one said (or implied) anything about custom bikes that don't come in a box being any better or worse than other bikes, except maybe you. I merely pointed out that his claim that all bikes come in boxes is uncorrect. I like custom bikes because I can customize the look and I have odd body proportions. I also like that I had the opportunity to support a local, independent craftsman. It's lamentable that you tried to make that into something negative. Not even going to try to articulate where I think that is rooted, but please keep it out of your comments. It serves no positive function.
Old 11-05-18, 02:55 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I think the reason they put cheaper plastic pedals on most bikes is so people can walk out the door with a rideable bike.

If you're bike shop refused to put cheap plastic pedals on your bike that's very odd, every bike I've purchased from a bike shop has come with cheap usable plastic pedals, and if I'm buying a bike from them will put on any pedals I specifically ask for for no charge.

All of the other options are worse for "being able to ride it out the door".

Clipless: 5 different options for clipless, plus consider that some people prefer flats, now the bike is not rideable out the door for 90% of your customers. That sucks. Plus the cost of buying the bike goes up for something a lot of people are going to throw out.

Flats: I like large flat pedals with pins and a concave curve. Some people will hate huge flat pedals. Some people hate pedals with metal pins - I've never found it to be a problem but some people hit their shin with the pedal and the little pins dig into their shin and leave them bleeding a bit. Try to imagine a customer saying "I bought this bike but these put these terrible pedals for no reason and now my shins are bleeding!". There are other pedals with no pins but a rough edge that grips the shoe but that design hurts my feet on longer rides.

Point is...you want everyone who walks out of the shop to be able to ride right away, cheap plastic pedals are the way to go. Also the best option for people who are going to change the pedals as they don't waste money paying more for more expensive pedals that they just throw out.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-05-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 03:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You are confusing the argument by comparing buying a complete bike with an incomplete one.

It's quite simple.

For a complete expensive bike purchase there are basically 4 things almost all experienced cyclists will personalize or change: tires, saddle, bartape and pedals. The manufacturer provides three of those things at an increased purchase price but not the fourth. The argument for this is that providing them adds to the cost so they are left off. That may be true but is a weak excuse considering the costs accrued by adding those other disposable parts.

Even the idea that you can recoup some cost by reselling the saddle and tires to the shop is weak because, likewise, you could also resell the pedals.

All I am saying is that the "it adds more cost" argument fails the sniff test when you look at the whole picture.

No, you've got the argument for leaving them off all wrong--the calculation the producers have made is that above a certain price point for the "complete bike", the amount of money they can knock off of the price by not including pedals nets them more buyers than including the pedals. Apparently, they believe that doesn't work with tires, saddles, and bar tape. I have to believe they are more in touch with the fine grain of their markets than we are, so I suspect if you want to argue with somebody about being logically inconsistent, you probably need to address your logical consistency argument at the consumers, not the manufacturers. The manufacturers are consistent in trying to sell the maximum number of bikes at a profitable margin--that just happens to make them differentiate in their treatment of different components.

There's also a difference between pedals and the other three components that I think may explain why the calculation works out differently--without any data for this, I think it is reasonable to guess that above whatever the magic price point is, there's a higher likelihood that someone will find the pedals completely unusable from the get-go than with the other items that could be upgraded later. If I've already paid a bunch of money for the shoes, I'm not going to want to leave the store with a bike that isn't equipped with the proper pedals, likewise, I don't have any use for the SPDs if I don't have the shoes and had no plans to get them. Seats, tires and bar tape just don't break down into neat either/or categories of purchasers in the same way.

BTW, Specialized provides crappy-sounding resin pedals with its $14,000 bikes, so if it's really important to you to get the junky things you put your feet on at the store so you can throw them out at home, buy a Specialized.
Old 11-05-18, 06:43 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The only bike I ever bought, after I was out of my teens, that had pedals on it was a 1973 Peugeot PX10. It had crappy French-threaded Lyotard Pedals. One of the first changes I made when I got it home, after getting a pair of clincher "training wheels", was to get the cranks rethreaded to accept 9/16" pedals. This gave me a wide choice of pedals. I've bought 5 "good" bike since then, and none of them came with pedals. It was not a big deal!

P.S. I forgot a bike, a new 1993 Trek 820 still in the box that I bought 4-5 years ago a few years; it did come with pedals.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-05-18 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 07:06 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Because you need pedals, you have to figure in their cost when you buy a new bike, unless, of course, you are putting on pedals that you already own. So when a bike is selling at the LBS for, say, $2000, it really is costing you that plus the price of the pedals. I wonder why sellers put saddles on bikes? There are even more of them to choose from than pedals. And then there are stems. How many buyers change stems from the get go? When you buy a new bike you should consider all that you have to add to it or replace as part of the overall cost. A good LBS will offer you discounts and swaps, but some do not. Ultimately, if you think about it, you will know what that new bike will really cost you.
Old 11-05-18, 07:37 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I swear the thread could be about which is the best Starburst flavor, and you'd find a way to post that photo.

It is such a beautiful bike that I am always happy to see it again.
Old 11-05-18, 07:55 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I dunno. It's always struck me odd. The "bike that didn't come in a box," but has a setback seatpost with the saddle all the way back on the rails, and a stem with quite a bit of rise. That's always raised an eyebrow. For me.
Old 11-05-18, 10:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, no. We have enough people crashing at stoplights with clipless pedals where all you have to do is kick out your heel slightly. Can you imagine the carnage if those riders had to reach down, loosen the strap, and wriggle their feet out like we had to do in the Good Old Days?
I always catch myself telling people who wonder about going clipless "Clipless pedals are easy." Then thinking to myself, "Well, they are easy if you spend 15 years riding around in toeclips first."
Old 11-05-18, 10:06 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
111 posts on a thread started by a guy whining about not getting pedals he didn't pay for. Amazing....
Old 11-05-18, 10:08 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
In a total “feed the troll” moment...

I’m pretty sure if you told the dealer you’re ready to buy the bike but won’t make a deal unless the bike comes with pedals, they’d find a way to make it work. They’re gonna slap on a $12 set of resin take-offs from the last bike they sold, or they’ll work out a deal with you on a quality set of your choice. Either way, a deal can be made.

Someone upthread said, and I’ll echo — I’ve never paid full retail for a bike. With or without pedals.

-Kedosto
Old 11-05-18, 11:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Just curious, has anyone ever bought a new bicycle at any store, be it LBS or Big Box, custom made or plebeian, or at any price, and left the establishment with the bicycle partially disassembled and still in a box?
Old 11-06-18, 12:01 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Riveting
Back in the day (and possibly still?), floor mats and hub caps (for those of us who remember them) were not included in the cost of the car. Though those items aren't "needed" to drive a car, I still bet the trolls on CarForums.com got all worked up about it then. The times may change, but complaining about minutia is eternal.

...hopped on a random Honda dealership website, and yeah the floor mats are add ons.

That said, most bike shops I've been to will slap a crappy set of plastic platforms on for free if you ask. But that's kind of a waste for most of the enthusiast crowd since most people stick with one particular kind of pedal (SPD for me).

Just curious, has anyone ever bought a new bicycle at any store, be it LBS or Big Box, custom made or plebeian, or at any price, and left the establishment with the bicycle partially disassembled and still in a box?
I have.

I got a good deal (better than it'd be in Japan at least) on a bike and was flying back to Japan soon, so I asked if they could leave it in the box.
Old 11-06-18, 12:15 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
I've sold boxed bikes to people. I sure hope they knew what they were doing!

And I've never bought a bike for full MSRP.

And the shop I work at now rarely sells any bikes at full MSRP, they must've gotten the idea from bikesdirect.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 11-06-18 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 12:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've sold boxed bikes to people. I sure hope they knew what they were doing!
Did you give those people a discount for your reduced labor cost? Why would anyone do that unless these people were not planning on riding it but rather shipping it somewhere else like another poster mentioned?
Old 11-06-18, 05:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I purchased 3 different bikes from 3 different bike shops and they were all fully assembled, included pedals and none were in a box.
Old 11-06-18, 06:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
It is such a beautiful bike that I am always happy to see it again.
We should start a thread where we all post a photo of it. It is nice looking
Old 11-06-18, 06:10 AM
locomotion1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice
Old 11-06-18, 07:34 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 4,609 Times in 2,115 Posts
I live near (60 miles) a place that specializes in international mail-order but does have a regular walk-in shop, too. When you buy a bike, you pay the unassembled price from the net and you can either carry it out of the place or you can pay an upcharge of $100 to have it assembled.

Even then, I haggled free assembly out of them at the mail-order price because it was a closeout.

Edit: Bike did come with cheap plastic pedals and it was a Colnago.

Old 11-06-18, 07:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
So let me get this straight....

I'm going to spend $2,000 for a bike without a motor and it can't be ridden until I buy some pedals for it. And I can't ask for 10% off the bike because the bike industry just doesn't operate that way.

Highway robbery.
FWIW a set of Ultegra pedals is cheaper pretty much than a set of GP4000 tires when they're not on big discount.

Yes, tires more than pedals. Try again......
Old 11-06-18, 08:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I purchased 3 different bikes from 3 different bike shops and they were all fully assembled, included pedals and none were in a box.
I have never seen a bicycle still in the box on display on the sales floor of any brick and mortar retail establishment, or go out the door with a customer ever.
Old 11-06-18, 08:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

I think that people would change out pedals right off the bat far more often than saddles, bar tape, or tires.
Might or might not be true. I'm likely to be pre-loaded with the pedals and saddle of my choice just waiting to be installed. Bar tape...yup, I might change that promptly. Tires? Well, I might ride on them for 10 miles to confirm that I already hate them and that they have to go to the tire bin.
Old 11-06-18, 08:08 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I understand the OP’s point.

OTOH, all my recent bike purchases have been a la’carte. I choose every single component so I know what I am getting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.