Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 02:51 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts

If I ever lost my mind this is what I'd get.
Aria E-Ultegra 2019

I'd have to change to Campy though.
Old 12-12-18, 02:57 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I know I want an Electric Bike pretty bad. Being middle aged I'm not healthy as I used to be and quite frankly it a bit of a uphill battle for me. I just like the idea of being able to keep up with friends, and I think it would eventually get me in shape as I'd be spending more time traveling longer distances and your still moving.
Old 12-12-18, 05:47 PM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I'm mystified by the anti electric bike sentiment in the US. E-bikes are embraced in Europe, as are bicycles in general.
Old 12-12-18, 06:03 PM
nios2

Bikes: XDS CT430

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice

Originally Posted by mackgoo

If I ever lost my mind this is what I'd get.
Aria E-Ultegra 2019

I'd have to change to Campy though.
Now I am a convert.
Old 12-13-18, 06:07 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I think you're out of touch.
False. These are direct observations based on dealing with bike shop owners and managers over the past 3 decades.

Your constant stereotyping and disparagement of conventional cyclists tempts me to lump you into the "anti-cyclist" camp. I hope I'm wrong.
Now you're out of touch. See above.

The bike industry has bent over backwards to reach the non-spandex market (for lack of a better term, no offense intended), for a long time.
And yet more and more shops are closing every year. They've been unsuccessful regardless of their efforts.

The most widely sold bikes are hybrids, cruisers, and MTBs, mostly under 1000 or even 500 bucks. The "city bike" and "commuter bike" are emerging categories. Super record and Di2 are nowhere to be seen on the bikes that pass by my house every morning. That stuff would get stolen in a heartbeat. The prevailing trend is "whatever works, or something nice if you can afford it."
Neither here nor there. Off topic. What's the point?

Here's what the bike industry couldn't do by itself, and can't be blamed for: They couldn't invent lithium batteries or rare earth magnets.
When did I ever "blame" the bike industry for not inventing lithium batteries? You are putting words in my mouth.

Without those things, the e-bike is a non-starter. With those things, it's a foregone conclusion. So the e-bike literally grew out of inventions driven by non-bike-related industries -- laptop computers, wind turbines, electric cars, etc.. It's a lucky accident, not something that the bike industry overlooked or dismissed.
This is just weird, off-topic rambling.

There have been two areas where the technology needed to develop, and it might have been reasonable for the mainstream industry to wait before jumping on the bandwagon. First, the earliest e-bikes looked like contraptions that were hacked together from spare parts, with ungainly hub motors, wires all over the place, and cantankerous controls (according to e-cyclists whom I've spoken to). Newer designs seem to have settled on mid-drive, better integration of the motors and batteries in the frame, and controls that make bikes ride more like bikes. Second, the price of the batteries has been dropping steadily -- I've read 15% per year.
Again, rambling with no point or purpose.

But will the e-bike save cycling? Not by itself. The reason is that physical effort is not the only obstacle to cycling. There's still climate, safety, and infrastructure. And while e-bikes alleviate the distance problem to some extent, there are still going to be distances that can't be covered on an e-bike by most people, so urban planning and public transportation have to fit into the mix.
Again, you are arguing with yourself. This is a pattern throughout your very long, rambling post.
Old 12-14-18, 06:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Yes - Until governments crack down on them and start requiring a motorcycle license to ride them on public roads, and ban them from multi use paths. It will happen, just a matter of time.

(As they get more popular, more and more people will act the fool while riding them and end up in body bags, or injuring/killing pedstrians on MUPs, prompting the public to tell their legislatures to "DO SOMETHING," which will result in the motorcycle license requirement and prohibition on using MUPs)
So you want to ban some 80 year old from MUPS just because his bike or trike has a small motor. Remember that you will be old some day, and having a motor is the only way for some people to get out. I just got an e-mail from two older women friends that just got electric grandma style trikes. With out the motor they would never be to get out on the trails.

Making some one with an e-bike have to buy a license is just another example of tax and spend b'crats money grab, and a loss of freedom!!!!!!
Old 12-14-18, 06:47 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
So you want to ban some 80 year old from MUPS just because his bike or trike has a small motor.
Nope. Never said I want it to happen. But it will.

Making some one with an e-bike have to buy a license is just another example of tax and spend b'crats money grab, and a loss of freedom!!!!!!
I agree.
Old 12-14-18, 04:37 PM
radroad

Just 35 pounds! Full carbon frame, 10 mm rear suspension, taillight integrated with the fender, powered by the battery. Center mounted battery. One of the lightest city style e-bikes, with a very competitive $4300 MSRP. Yes, this is the year of electric bikes.
Attached Files
File Type: 28068
bmc-grn18-jpg.28068 (202.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by radroad; 12-14-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 09:53 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
People who are avid cyclists are not going to switch as long as they are healthy. The ebikes appeal to a different market: the infirm and wanna-be cyclists/commuters who want out of their cars and traffic but are too lazy/lack the desire to put in the effort of real cycling.

I beg to ****ing differ. (Excuse the profanity, but I feel strongly about this).

You never, ever know when your health may change. I've been an avid cyclist (some would say obsessed) for over a decade. Then my internal organs decided to try and kill me; they didn't, but I am not yet back to full cycling form, and I may never be. I do not look like someone with a chronic illness or a disability, but I have both.

I didn't want to go back to driving, but I couldn't continue commuting by bike, as it was just draining me too much (and it's not even a long distance, which made it doubly frustrating). And I never had any energy left for recreational rides.

So I tried a pedal-assist e-bike, with trepidation, but within ten minutes I was sold. It still feels like riding a bike, all the parts I love; I still need to use my skills and my muscles. I can just do it for longer without exhausting myself and causing myself days of pain, and I can carry groceries and such home quite easily. Even if I were fully fit I would still consider an e-bike as my primary urban vehicle and I would encourage others to do so.

E-bikes are not for wanna-bes or lazy people; they're bikes, that are suited for specific purposes. Cut the judgement, thanks, it's not a good look.
Old 12-14-18, 11:42 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like radroad is making a lot of editorial comment on other opinions ... To what point? Seems like baiting to me, and kinda gets in the way of following this thread ...

Anyway, someone above said the industry has standardized on mid-drives. Not sure I agree with that.

I really wanted a Bafang H400 full-on solution for my build, but no one in the US or Canada seems to sell it ... Tq sensing and divided power input to the rear wheel with minimal wear and tear on the existing drive train. All good. So that's one vote for rear hub. I think it's big heavy cumbersome rear hubs that we are moving away from ...

And in northern Europe where it snows, there plenty of front hub motor users - why ? It gives them two wheel drive. Motor in PAS 1 mode in front and human power out back. Works quite well when your issue is actually commuting and not playing

I'm not convinced that the world will all be mid-drive ...
Old 12-18-18, 02:48 AM
radroad

Fascinating interview with Chris Cocalis, founder of Pivot Cycles. I had the distinct pleasure of riding a pivot a few years back at an mtb festival and was absolutely shocked (no pun intended) at how dialed the bike was. I felt like if it had had just a tad more suspension travel it would've been just about perfect. Also shocking was the price: nearly $7K for Shimano six components! Not a shabby group, but dang, those bikes don't come cheap!

Anyway, in this interview, he says 70% of high end mtb sales are e-bikes in Europe. Pivot's entry into the emtb market, the Shuttle, was sold out for six months at the time of the interview (mid 2018). Cocalis says demand for emts's is significantly stronger in the US than in Europe, meaning high end mtb sales are taking off.

Cocalis thinks 35 emtb's are possible in the future. Doesn't say when. :-)

Also, the e-bike is a moped meme is just dumb. Mopeds weigh up to 300 lbs, run on gas, are very noisy, are far more powerful, and are typically operated with the throttle.

In comparison, e-bikes currently weigh on average, around 50 lbs, but some models are already weighing in as low as 25 lbs. The motors are relatively quiet, battery powered, and as I have pointed out before, none of the big 3 even make an e-bike with throttle anyway. That means you MUST pedal.

I do agree with Cocalis that 2019 is the year when e-bikes are actually starting to look like quality products. The quality is no longer embarrassing, as it certainly was as recently as 5 years ago. The big 3 and just about every other brand has embraced e-bikes, not out of any hatred of standard bicycles, but because practically speaking the demand is overwhelming.

Last edited by radroad; 12-18-18 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 07:38 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, as long as they don't have throttle - I'm very cool with saying eBikes are just another bike.

But, as soon as you add a throttle, they are mopeds in Europe. Prolly be that way here soon ...

And that's OK. There will be a market for electric mopeds too.

Bultaco, for one, is really trying to fill that market
Old 12-18-18, 07:54 AM
radroad

A lot of direct to consumer models have throttles, especially if they have hub motors. Two caveats: 1) throttles are always limited to 20 mph max, and 2) you can't rely on the throttle exclusively: your battery will drain very, very quickly. On flat terrain, you can drain a huge 1K amp hour battery in maybe 20-30 miles. Uphill, you might only get single digits.

Even then, simply adding a throttle doesn't make an e-bike a moped; there are just too many gross differences between e-bikes and mopeds to even entertain the notion that the comparison is even halfway plausible. E-bikes will become far lighter over the next few years and battery capacity will increase significantly as well. Pivot, Focus, Specialized and other smaller startups are pushing the tech envelope very hard. The transformation in the industry in 2019 alone took me by surprise. Seriously, what kind of weirdo thinks a 25 lb ebike which is visually indistinguishable from a standard bicycle and 300 lbs gas guzzling, noisy, smelly emissions spewing moped are one and the same?

As sales increase, R&D budgets will improve, resulting in better bikes and therefore stronger sales in a constant cycle (no pun intended). Previous gen. e-bikes have not been especially impressive, but there is just no turning back at this point. The technology is improving rapidly and demand is close to insatiable. Both direct to consumer brands as well as some boutiques like Pivot can't keep up with demand at all. Pre-orders, often taking many months to fulfill are the norm. Even some smaller startups are backed up on orders just a few months out of the gate.

Whether one loves, hates or ignores e-bikes, there is little question that they will take a place of leadership in the bicycling industry. Will e-bikes save the bicycling industry? No, it will take the industry to heights it has never seen.
Old 12-20-18, 08:29 AM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
.... Seriously, what kind of weirdo thinks a 25 lb ebike which is visually indistinguishable from a standard bicycle and 300 lbs gas guzzling, noisy, smelly emissions spewing moped are one and the same?
Seriously, you want to call other members "wierdo" ...

It's not me being weird, the EU and their laws. Add a throttle and you are not an e-bike - their stance. I just happen to agree with it.

Since the discussion leading into these last posts was trending into the question of whether an eBike was/is just another bike, or not ... In my mind, an eBike is a PAS machine only. Add a throttle and you are not "just another bike" (one that requires pedaling to move), you are now fully motorized transportation ...

I've been riding motorcycles for over 50 years and never in my wildest nightmares met a "300 pound" moped. Not even close. Even 200 pounds would be pushing it for 99% of them. There are now a number of fat eBikes that are pushing 48 kilos, so things are not that different, weight wise.

And please introduce me to a 25 lb eBike with a range of over 7 feet, and the capability to mount a luggage rack (to actually haul something...).

There has to be a logical break-point between motor assist bicycling and motorized transport. How would you define the logical boundary? Presence or absence of throttle is an easy one for law enforcement. You are on a non-motorized trail and you get caught with a throttle bike - you get cited. No radar traps, no speed runs, nada.

Speed limits are much harder to judge and enforce, especially since we know that fit riders on slippery bikes can exceed them easily w/o any motors ... So It seems speed is the wrong focus. Assist levels, non-pedaling activity, and power ratings are much better places to take those actions.

Last edited by BrocLuno; 12-20-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-23-18, 10:19 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of direct to consumer models have throttles, especially if they have hub motors. Two caveats: 1) throttles are always limited to 20 mph max, and 2) you can't rely on the throttle exclusively: your battery will drain very, very quickly. On flat terrain, you can drain a huge 1K amp hour battery in maybe 20-30 miles. Uphill, you might only get single digits.

Even then, simply adding a throttle doesn't make an e-bike a moped; there are just too many gross differences between e-bikes and mopeds to even entertain the notion that the comparison is even halfway plausible. E-bikes will become far lighter over the next few years and battery capacity will increase significantly as well. Pivot, Focus, Specialized and other smaller startups are pushing the tech envelope very hard. The transformation in the industry in 2019 alone took me by surprise. Seriously, what kind of weirdo thinks a 25 lb ebike which is visually indistinguishable from a standard bicycle and 300 lbs gas guzzling, noisy, smelly emissions spewing moped are one and the same?

As sales increase, R&D budgets will improve, resulting in better bikes and therefore stronger sales in a constant cycle (no pun intended). Previous gen. e-bikes have not been especially impressive, but there is just no turning back at this point. The technology is improving rapidly and demand is close to insatiable. Both direct to consumer brands as well as some boutiques like Pivot can't keep up with demand at all. Pre-orders, often taking many months to fulfill are the norm. Even some smaller startups are backed up on orders just a few months out of the gate.

Whether one loves, hates or ignores e-bikes, there is little question that they will take a place of leadership in the bicycling industry. Will e-bikes save the bicycling industry? No, it will take the industry to heights it has never seen.
I had a throttle installed on my Tern eLink as I had one on my Brompton and A2b. It allows me to takeoff from a stop and to start pumping and to navigate slowly through tight sidewalk obstacles such as the homeless and poles and near curbs where there is no bike lane and pumping is too slow. Two inches either way could mean disaster where it is best to stand on the left pedal, pump the throttle while steering and ready to engage the brakes to slow or stop.

Testing the throttle, the bike accelerated slowly and reached a peak speed of 15mph on the flats. Fat tires had 60lbs. I dont cruise with throttle only as it has only one speed.

I believe ebikes are the first major initiative to add to non-motorized bikes in the US sold by ebike and regular ongoing dealers. Though new to the US, they have been popular in Asia and Europe.

That is my experience so far with a hybrid throttle applied to a Tern eLink, the only one in existence.
Old 12-24-18, 01:15 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Also, the e-bike is a moped meme is just dumb. Mopeds weigh up to 300 lbs, run on gas, are very noisy, are far more powerful, and are typically operated with the throttle.
At least here in PA, a moped is defined as such.

In the state of Pennsylvania, a motor-driven cycle is considered to be a moped if it has:
  • Operable pedals.
  • A motor that does not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower OR an electric battery-powered motor.
  • A cylinder capacity which is no more than 50 cc.
  • An automatic transmission.
  • A maximum speed of no more than 25 mph.

A few years ago the PA leglsature passed a law to define e-bikes thusly:

"Pedalcycle with electric assist." A vehicle weighing not more than 100 pounds with two or three wheels more than 11 inches in diameter, manufactured or assembled with an electric motor system rated at not more than 750 watts and equipped with operable pedals and capable of a speed not more than 20 miles per hour on a level surface when powered by the motor source only. The term does not include a device specifically designed for use by persons with disabilities.
750 watts is roughly 1 horsepower, so the legal difference here between a moped and an ebike is almost nothing. 1.5 vs 1 horsepower, and 25 vs 20 mph top speed on level ground.

Also, as many others have mentioned, I've never heard of a moped weighing close to 300lbs. They're almost all between 100 and 200 lbs.

300lbs is full size motorcycle territory. A 2019 Honda CB300R is 313 lbs ready to ride with a full tank of fuel.

Last edited by General Geoff; 12-24-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 07:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
nobody but ebikers have posted for the last 11 posts. I think we are done here. Closing.