Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 10:02 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
I visited a coffee shop which used to be one of my favorites. A small "local-ish" chain. The employees used to be top notch. The coffee very good. And the theme of the cafe itself: super clean urban warehouse was just too cool for school. That was 3.5 years ago.

I visit again a few months back. Ugh. What happened? The barista's YELL at the patrons at the top of their lungs about the unruly crooked line. Yeah, you need customers to stay in business, stupid. And then the cashier expects a TIP for tapping a button on the iPad. What for?!? Any monkey can tap a button. I didn't tip. She pouts.

Not to mention the clientele has changed. Drastically. And not for the better.

Retail businesses with their expectation of tips are throwing themselves under the bus. But there are also other reasons why customers prefer to shop from home.
I like how this whole thing boils down to, "I had a bad time at a hipster coffee shop, so screw local bike shops." But whatever. Enjoy your suburban homogeneity -- don't forget to tip your FedEx guy.
Old 01-20-19, 10:07 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
I like how this whole thing boils down to, "I had a bad time at a hipster coffee shop, so screw local bike shops." But whatever. Enjoy your suburban homogeneity -- don't forget to tip your FedEx guy.
The local bike shops are a joke. lol. $75+ to change out a chain. I took care of it for $30 (new chain, new tool), get to keep the park tool, plus I never had to take it in or wait.

I'll let the suckers deal with the bike shops. :-)

Enjoy bike shops while you can; they won't be 'round much longer.
Old 01-20-19, 11:16 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Enjoy bike shops while you can; they won't be 'round much longer.
Will do. Have a nice Wal-Mart.
Old 01-20-19, 11:34 PM
radroad

Will do. Have a nice Wal-Mart.
I don't shop at Walmart. And enjoy your $80 chain replacement lol
Old 01-21-19, 10:53 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

I don't shop at Walmart.
You will, once all your local merchants are gone.

And enjoy your $80 chain replacement lol
$80, my ass. They probably quoted you that because of your charming personality. At my shop, the price of a chain ranges from $12 to $48, and installation is five to ten bucks -- free if it's part of a tune-up.

Look, I get it. You don't like to tip people. Everyone's out to rip you off, from the coffee shop to the bike shop. You get to claim a little victory over the system by ordering everything online, and you get a pleasant tingle when UPS pulls up and brings you a present. But when communities lose their independent merchants, they lose their identities. Real people lose their jobs, their investments, and their livelihoods. These are your neighbors. I know that right now nothing's more important to you than saving four dollars, but when your town's commerce is reduced to Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and CVS, you might wish you had supported some of the locals. But then again, you seem like the type who would be blissfully happy in whatever generic suburb gives you easy access to cheap gas and a Cracker Barrel. You've certainly earned it.

See ya.
Old 01-21-19, 04:05 PM
radroad

You will, once all your local merchants are gone.

$80, my ass. They probably quoted you that because of your charming personality. At my shop, the price of a chain ranges from $12 to $48, and installation is five to ten bucks -- free if it's part of a tune-up.

Look, I get it. You don't like to tip people. Everyone's out to rip you off, from the coffee shop to the bike shop. You get to claim a little victory over the system by ordering everything online, and you get a pleasant tingle when UPS pulls up and brings you a present. But when communities lose their independent merchants, they lose their identities. Real people lose their jobs, their investments, and their livelihoods. These are your neighbors. I know that right now nothing's more important to you than saving four dollars, but when your town's commerce is reduced to Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and CVS, you might wish you had supported some of the locals. But then again, you seem like the type who would be blissfully happy in whatever generic suburb gives you easy access to cheap gas and a Cracker Barrel. You've certainly earned it.

See ya.
LOL, cry more. Change happens. Deal with it bro. More guys like you and we'd still be stuck with a horse and buggy and carrying a gallon of water on our heads from the one and only well 20 miles roundtrip. Adapt or GTFO.

Last edited by radroad; 01-21-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 12:32 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
The idea of tips was always to allow employers to give less to their employees than they were worth. In Europe that has been replaced by guaranteed minimum wages, holiday pay, health schemes etc so tips are no longer necessary.
I just got back from a trip to Europe for work. It was very refreshing to not have to worry about tipping.