Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Talking shop (bikes) at a mixed group event, a foul up

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 09:46 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Interesting thread, and the original post did give me pause for concern. I'm no psychologist or qualified counsellor, but I have counseled younger men at their request on many occasions. My wife and I have been married for 36 years and we've raised children to (mentally and spiritually) healthy adulthood.

The original post had some avoiding behavior in it, where the OP used "they" when he could easily have said "she". I'll guess that he wanted to sound reasonable and not laying blame from the outset. He also didn't relate any aspect of what his wife's expectations were for the evening in question, other than: (a) the day fell coincidentally on Mother's day (? from a later post), (b) the original party was family only and then the guest list expanded impromptu, and (c) the wife reacted to his isolation with his cycling friends with strong emotions.

The emotional escalation belies some other part of their interchange that brought on stronger and stronger language. So, there's likely an underlying communication issue.

The subsequent withdrawal from the OP's bicycling friends is not an emotionally strong response on his part.

I agree with the few reasonable posters who encourage the OP and his wife (later) to begin counseling together. They need to work on communication, expectations, and forgiveness at a minimum.

PG
He didn't say that. That was me talking about my upcoming birthday. Nothing to do with the OP.
Old 01-31-19, 09:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For the above folks asking how other things are, we're pretty good on the other stuff.

We see eye to eye politically, we're good at money/budget stuff, our tastes in food are similar and diverse, our likes in vacation ideas are fun and similar, we're teamed up pretty well on how we corral our kids and handle them, etc... And we get along well and enjoy each other in those things.

I'm just tired of feeling guilty when it's my turn to do stuff. It's not like it's the end of the world, but it's something that comes up a lot and it's time to nip in the bud.

To me, it feels like a jealousy issue over her choosing to not have a hobby or interest of pretty much any kind, but I choose to have one.

There may be some mild depression or condition on her part of some kind making it so she doesn't want to do anything. And since I do still do my things...........well, there you have it.

Let's be clear. This isn't some man eating succubus cheater kind of deal. It's most likely a depressed person who doesn't do their own thing and acts out with animosity against me when (as a non depressed person) still chooses to do my stuff.
Old 01-31-19, 10:16 AM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

incorrect.
They were his personal issues only up until the point he advertised them on the internet. They are now our entertainment.
+1
Old 01-31-19, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Indeed
Old 01-31-19, 11:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Yes
Old 01-31-19, 05:49 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I'd consider marriage counseling.
Old 02-01-19, 05:48 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
My wife doesn’t understand why you would spend over $100 on a bicycle purchase, much more anything to do with riding and such. She is about the same way with my running, though have been doing that much longer. It gets contentious. But I seem to be getting more active as i age, and she gets more sedentary.
Guess the question is - do you have enough going to stay together, or is this just the tip of the iceberg?
Old 02-01-19, 05:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm trying to find some finality here about a pretty specific thing that happened last year. Trying to learn something and move on.

It's been a point of contention with the wife for some time. No amount of confirmation bias is going to sway her opinion of the matter. I'm just seeking out feedback to make sure I don't screw up future possibilities of trying to build friendships.

This whole bit turned into her calling them crazy people and nutters and saying they can't come over. It's really made me withdraw from the group rides a lot since then.

It's difficult to balance a one off thing that had such a violent outburst ...

After this tongue lashing, cuss fest ...

As far as isolated incident or not.....I'll present the following also........three times I was chided ...

It's a pattern of the few events or things that are supposed to be "my thing" turning into a problem.

It just seems a routine occurrence that when it's "my turn" for something, something has to run afoul.

Seek professional help.

I suspect you're not telling us the whole story, but since this still bothers you after a year (or longer), seek professional help.

Last edited by Machka; 02-01-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 05:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ever read a post and think "Iceberg"?

Oh yeah!!!
Old 02-01-19, 06:04 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

To me, it feels like a jealousy issue over her choosing to not have a hobby or interest of pretty much any kind, but I choose to have one.
I
I think you hit the nail on the head. She needs a hobby to calm her down.
On a related note, my wife thinks my cycling buddies are crazy. And I think her yoga crew is super boring.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-01-19, 06:42 PM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I'm trying to find some finality here about a pretty specific thing that happened last year. Trying to learn something and move on.

It's been a point of contention with the wife for some time.

After this tongue lashing, cuss fest I pretty much started riding on my own all the time and took my group stickers off my car. They claim this was daft and has nothing to do with the one "rude event", but I can't come to believe that yet.
Grab your balls and stand up for yourself. Be a man.

She's a control freak, emotionally abusive and successfully gas lighting you.
Old 02-01-19, 10:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
OP, please ignore the negative armchair bike enthusiast marriage counselors. You're doing just fine and will certainly work it all out. Go for a ride.
Old 02-02-19, 07:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Not much to add relationship-wise, though I think @I-Like-To-Bike had a seemingly unique comment about how such in-depth conversations among the cognoscenti could be off-putting.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Maybe some of the cycling buddies' hobby talk came across as jabbering about demonic motorists, "BSO's" and the lowlifes who sell or ride them, fools who don't appreciate the fine people who work or hang out at the LBS, and/or various evil conspiracies against the interests of "Serious Cyclists".

It would help explain why she thought her husband's cycling buddies were a bunch of "nutters and crazy people."
Here on Bike Forums IMO, is a nice example of congenial biketalk:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Metro Boston:Good ride today?

…I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales
But when discussing cycling with non-cyclists:
Personally, I find any discussions about cycling with motorists futile, especially those exchanged while en route, often with hostility.

When off the bike, e.g. at work they are usually pleasant, but vacuous, for example when I’m called a saint. When they complain, it’s often about cyclists riding two or more abreast, no lights, ninjas, etc…valid complaints IMO…
.”
However I have found this commonality to relate my cycling to non-cyclists:
My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.” Always asked with amusement and respect.

I in turn often ask people where they live, because invariably I have ridden in their neighborhood, and that question usually sparks an engaging conversation….
PS:
Just this week I attended a lecture by a physician about healthy lifestyles. Though he touted cycling, he also commented about the dangers, particularly here in Boston, and he admitted to be a former cyclist.

Afterwards I asked him about it, and he further rapped on about anecdotal hazards.
He then claimed about a “Bike Cartel” of about 300 cyclists in Boston; I think he was describing Critical Mass.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-02-19 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-02-19, 09:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
A few thoughts:

1- Maybe your riding buddies are, in fact, a bunch of crazy nutters.

2- I would actually pay for a BF membership if it included being able to read your wife’s side of this story.

3- However pissed your wife was over your crazy nutter friends, it will likely pale in conparison to the s#!tstorm that awaits you when she sees you are talking about this to complete strangers on the internet.

Good luck my friend.
Old 02-02-19, 10:25 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
OP, please ignore the negative armchair bike enthusiast marriage counselors. You're doing just fine and will certainly work it all out. Go for a ride.
Yes, and quit inviting them to your parties...
Old 02-02-19, 11:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I tend to trust the opinion as a person privy to the happenings at the party in asking the BIL.

Her and him don't necessarily agree or walk in lock step on things like this. So, it's not like he would readily agree with either of us.

I'd guess he'd say something like a few people being a bit odd or too "into it" with the shop talk, but probably wouldn't have wrote it off as a disaster.

But, it's worth an ask.
Yes, I would definitely get your wife's brother involved here
Old 02-02-19, 11:43 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
A few thoughts:

1- Maybe your riding buddies are, in fact, a bunch of crazy nutters.

2- I would actually pay for a BF membership if it included being able to read your wife’s side of this story.

3- However pissed your wife was over your crazy nutter friends, it will likely pale in conparison to the s#!tstorm that awaits you when she sees you are talking about this to complete strangers on the internet.

Good luck my friend.
Regarding #3, above. My wife continually lurks here, “checking up” on what I post.

I occasionally post stuff here just to p*** her off and to teach her to stop spying on me.

At this point in my life I couldn’t care less who I p*** off. Just as long as I have my dogs and my bikes I am a happy camper.

To the OP, fix the problem now or you are going to find yourself at a point, 20, 30, or 40 years down the line feeling trapped and unhappy. It ain’t worth it.
Old 02-02-19, 02:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
- I would actually pay for a BF membership if it included being able to read your wife’s side of this story.
Heart of the matter, what?
Old 02-02-19, 02:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Koyote
Some of the more recent posts have been disturbingly sexist.
Agreed.
Old 02-02-19, 06:17 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Care to elaborate?
Or are you just throwing it against the wall and hoping something sticks?
Old 02-02-19, 06:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Care to elaborate?
Or are you just throwing it against the wall and hoping something sticks?
Read the recent posts. And if you can’t see it, I won’t waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-02-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 07:10 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Read the recent posts. And if you can see it, I won’t waste my time trying to explain it to you.
Swing and a miss!
Old 02-02-19, 08:58 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Grown men spending the price of a used car for a bicycle then dressing up in spandex and going out riding those bicycles in the winter's cold or the summer's heat.........sounds like a bunch of nuts to me.

In all seriousness. Were there any hot single women among your cycling buddies? If you really think your wife has some mental issues you need to convince her to get help. Sometimes they can't realize they need help and the misery they are making for you is periodic but the misery they are living in is constant.
Old 02-04-19, 10:05 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

Read the recent posts. And if you can’t see it, I won’t waste my time trying to explain it to you.
I'm not seeing it either. There are a couple that aren't perhaps 100% PC, but they're also not particularly serious. What post met the level of "disturbingly" sexist to you?
Old 02-04-19, 10:22 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You need to involve her in your "hobby." Get a tandem. It will definitely add a new dynamic to your partnership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.