Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Women's cycling race forced to pause after lead rider catches men's race

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Women's cycling race forced to pause after lead rider catches men's race

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 11:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In every road race I've ever done, the rule is that the group that gets caught is neutralized. That should have been done here, or before that step was necessary, the officials should have been on the radio to the team directors that their riders needed to start pedaling or get caught, neutralized, and embarrassed on TV.
I really think it would be a good turn on events.

No doubt one would see a new group of women racers. Track cyclists and sprinters heading out for that first flatter 20 miles or so to "reel in the men". Somewhat like chasing down a break-away with a 10 minute handicap headstart.

Then blowing up or getting killed on the real climbs and falling back to 73rd place.

The next step, of course, might be parity in the race courses though.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-04-19, 12:04 PM
CliffordK

or before that step was necessary, the officials should have been on the radio to the team directors that their riders needed to start pedaling or get caught, neutralized, and embarrassed on TV.
I can imagine the message going out.

"You've got someone coming up on your tailpipe really hot. Get moving, or get out of the way!"
Old 03-04-19, 12:25 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I pretty much dont like all the name calling but stopping the woman was stupid and sexist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-04-19, 12:41 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 729 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I pretty much dont like all the name calling but stopping the woman was stupid and sexist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, the sexist thing was to let them have a seperate race in the same event. I support the decision to do so, because fysically they can't compete with the men and they can't carry their own weight either in the sense that they have enough of an audience to have their own events. But it is sexist and it comes with a priority for the men's race.
Old 03-04-19, 12:41 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In every road race I've ever done, the rule is that the group that gets caught is neutralized. That should have been done here, or before that step was necessary, the officials should have been on the radio to the team directors that their riders needed to start pedaling or get caught, neutralized, and embarrassed on TV.
This. But there should be some discretion on the part of the officials. I was in a "women's race" once where a "man's race" that had started before the women caught the women in the women's finishing sprint and they neutralized the women so that they could get passed instead of sprinting. The men still had another lap to go because they never give the women as much distance. End result for the women was that the race was completely ruined and we all just left and went home... after paying an entrance fee, driving long distances, paying for hotel rooms... and putting in hours of training. This, too, shouldn't have happened.
Likes For chicagogal:
Old 03-04-19, 12:42 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
It's a 200km single day race that has been organized since 1945 and the women have their own race in the event for about 13 years. The women's race was stopped after about 30km, which means that some of the women have really stepped on it on the flat from the go while the men have been taking it easy before the first climbs. That happens in races, and it was not very likely this start was a serious attempt by Hanselmann to win the race allthoug their race was 80km shorter, but probably an attempt to catch the men to make a statement and for publicity.

I don't see a good reason why the women's race should interfere with the men's race, and the organization made sure it didn't. It's complicated and dangerous enough with the support vehicles of one race, if it's not good enough for the women this way, they should organize their own event.
This is so offensive, it makes me want to never return to the forum.
Likes For chicagogal:
Old 03-04-19, 12:47 PM
CliffordK

Too much mixing of cyclists and cars in a race can be problematic.

Although it was apparently only one cyclist that had caught up with the Men's entourage which wouldn't be much different from a rider getting a tire/bike replacement for one reason or another, then chasing down the Peloton.

Except, coming up on the race vehicles from the rear, but the pace motorcycle should be the first one to pass and clear the road.
Old 03-04-19, 12:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
This. But there should be some discretion on the part of the officials. I was in a "women's race" once where a "man's race" that had started before the women caught the women in the women's finishing sprint and they neutralized the women so that they could get passed instead of sprinting. The men still had another lap to go because they never give the women as much distance. End result for the women was that the race was completely ruined and we all just left and went home... after paying an entrance fee, driving long distances, paying for hotel rooms... and putting in hours of training. This, too, shouldn't have happened.
Good point. If one group is winding up for the sprint and the catching group has a lap to go, that's dumb. What did they do about placing? Upgrade points? That's terrible.

Safety first, but also you have to honor the spirit of racing, no matter what the field.
Old 03-04-19, 12:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Too much mixing of cyclists and cars in a race can be problematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJbHd9ygDag

Although it was apparently only one cyclist that had caught up with the Men's entourage which wouldn't be much different from a rider getting a tire/bike replacement for one reason or another, then chasing down the Peloton.

Except, coming up on the race vehicles from the rear, but the pace motorcycle should be the first one to pass and clear the road.
The Hoogeland crash was a spectacular exception to the rule and was entirely the fault of the driver.
Old 03-04-19, 01:03 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good point. If one group is winding up for the sprint and the catching group has a lap to go, that's dumb. What did they do about placing? Upgrade points? That's terrible.

Safety first, but also you have to honor the spirit of racing, no matter what the field.
It was just a total mess. One woman went for the sprint, thinking there was no way we were being neutralized on the finish. She was DQ'ed. Placing was just about who rolled over the finish first in a state of confusion and dismay. Upgrade points resulted because the results were certified.
Old 03-04-19, 01:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
If there is so little difference in male and female cycling performance, does it even make sense to run separate races? Run them together; you could still base awards on gender, if that's important, just like you have separate awards for age categories in some races.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-04-19, 01:17 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 729 Posts
This is so offensive, it makes me want to never return to the forum.
Offensive? Maybe you want a safe space with an alternate reality where women's cycling is just as big and popular as men's cycling?
Old 03-04-19, 01:20 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If there is so little difference in male and female cycling performance, does it even make sense to run separate races? Run them together; you could still base awards on gender, if that's important, just like you have separate awards for age categories in some races.
I don't think anyone has said this.
Old 03-04-19, 01:25 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Offensive? Maybe you want a safe space with an alternate reality where women's cycling is just as big and popular as men's cycling?
Sidelining women's cycling is not how to make it popular. Are you ok with women getting to play tennis at Wimbledon? Are you ok with women competing in any sport at the Olympics? If not, then you don't respect women as athletes. If you think that women should be able to compete in other arenas, just not in a bike race, then you don't think women can be competitive cyclists. Either way, this is offensive to women who work hard at their sport.
Old 03-04-19, 01:28 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Combined fields are really tricky. If a woman gets up the road with a group of men, then the men have no impetus to drop her or make her work, because they aren't actually competing against her. Then the women in the field have to chase down the men off the front because they have a competitor up the road getting a free ride. And this is even if the rest of the women are even aware that one woman got OTF with the men. With a mixed field, it is really difficult to tell what is going on and who is competing against who.
Old 03-04-19, 02:18 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
That guy in the blue jacket should be fired. Otherwise, it sends out a message that the women race is less important.
That is the point. That is the message.... and it is a message shared by many, including by stadjer, above.
Likes For chicagogal:
Old 03-04-19, 02:27 PM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Caution - egos ahead

Fragile male egos couldn't handle being passed by a woman?
I can't think of any other problem...
Old 03-04-19, 03:22 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Poor event planning on the organizers part. A ten minute time gap? It really isn't hard to see a scenario where a strong female rider or group catches the men, especially if the courses are different and different riding strategies are being taken into account.

Just curious how that would work in this situation. The one woman catches the men, so all the men are neutralized, and all the women go by. Then, the men are released, likely catch the women again, and then the women are neutralized?

Sidelining women's cycling is not how to make it popular. Are you ok with women getting to play tennis at Wimbledon? Are you ok with women competing in any sport at the Olympics? If not, then you don't respect women as athletes. If you think that women should be able to compete in other arenas, just not in a bike race, then you don't think women can be competitive cyclists. Either way, this is offensive to women who work hard at their sport.
I actually have a huge problem with them being awarded the same prize money for 3/5 the work. If they want to play and be paid the same as men, they should also play five sets.

Originally Posted by jpdemers
I mean other than the numerous reasons listed, including by at least one woman.
Old 03-04-19, 03:46 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Just curious how that would work in this situation. The one woman catches the men, so all the men are neutralized, and all the women go by. Then, the men are released, likely catch the women again, and then the women are neutralized?

The men would not be neutralized until the whole women's field comes through. They would be neutralized for the one woman who caught them. If the rest of the women's field caught them later, the men would be neutralized a second time.
Old 03-04-19, 04:03 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The men would not be neutralized until the whole women's field comes through. They would be neutralized for the one woman who caught them. If the rest of the women's field caught them later, the men would be neutralized a second time.
Ah gotcha, but I guess that still leaves me with the same question, what happens when they caught back up to her? Would she then have to pull over and let them go by?

I mean logically, I would just fix this with better event planning, but since we are into what-if land I am curious how something like this would go on.
Old 03-04-19, 04:20 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah gotcha, but I guess that still leaves me with the same question, what happens when they caught back up to her? Would she then have to pull over and let them go by?

I mean logically, I would just fix this with better event planning, but since we are into what-if land I am curious how something like this would go on.
Yes. If she got caught by the men, she would have to pull over and let them go by. The question is what happens to the rest of the women's field in that scenario. Officials could choose to neutralize them to maintain the gap that the lead rider has on the rest of the field. However, they could choose to only neutralize the lead rider and then the field gets to make up ground.
Old 03-04-19, 05:18 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Agree. It was a difficult situation that should have been anticipated. Stopping the women's race (and I am assuming that when restarted the time gap was restored) probably had no significant affect on the outcome. Allowing Ms. Hanselmann to continue and mix with the men's race would certainly have had a bigger impact on the outcome.
i beg to differ. Her pace was broken and she probably lost her wind. I think she was sabatoged to not seem as fast as the men in the group. I read a lot of comments on other news outlets on this and the amount of egos that were spilled onto the pages were disgusting. I am a man and took total offense to the comments that were made about her. She simply out rode her counterparts
Old 03-04-19, 05:21 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Poor event planning on the organizers part. A ten minute time gap? It really isn't hard to see a scenario where a strong female rider or group catches the men, especially if the courses are different and different riding strategies are being taken into account.

I actually have a huge problem with them being awarded the same prize money for 3/5 the work. If they want to play and be paid the same as men, they should also play five sets.

I mean other than the numerous reasons listed, including by at least one woman.
Really that is how we as the spectator saw it. I would have loved to see her catch up to the slowest men and pass them. This is cycling, all about the legs and the machine not the ego. But eeeh
Old 03-04-19, 05:23 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdemers
facts
Old 03-04-19, 05:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
...She was riding at an unsustainable pace and would have been caught anyway. But she did her job, got lots of free press for her sponsors.
Good point. There's a lot of psychology and psyche jobbing in bike racing that's completely different from any other sport and defies comprehension to outside observers.

Group races often start slow for various reasons. Maybe the roads were wet and the men's pack were waiting for the day to warm up a bit and dry the roads before they turned on the power.

It's not clear from the article whether Hanselmann knew she could catch the men's group, but she may have been motivated to try a solo breakaway to enhance her own status, or that of her team sponsors. Lots of reasons why this was a winning move for her regardless of the outcome.

I don't usually follow the classics but now I'm curious whether these one day races typically offer primes and material incentives for breakaways, sprints, first past the post opportunities, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.