Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Women's cycling race forced to pause after lead rider catches men's race

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Women's cycling race forced to pause after lead rider catches men's race

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 11:57 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One can't speculate on the alternative outcome. Nicole Hanselmann got an early lead. At some point she would have seen the men's entourage ahead and decided to close the gap. There were some long straight stretches where they may have been visible on the horizon, even a few miles ahead.

My guess is that she would have continued to pound the course another 10 or 15 miles until MP37 or so, the bottom of the descent after the men/women separated.

At that point, the race might depend a bit on how much of a gap had formed.

There were a couple of chasers ahead of the peloton. They quickly fell back into the peloton, but that may have been a team decision rather than a personal choice. If enough of a gap had opened up, a 3-person breakaway could have been supportable.

Of course, there was a lot of road and a lot of hills ahead.
I'm not trying to speculate. Just correcting the post above that said that she placed mid-teens in a small race.
Old 03-07-19, 12:11 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I don't have a Strava upload for Nicole Hanselmann, so one has to assume she is somewhere in the gap between the women and the men.
No need to assume, you can just watch the race.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

EDIT: There is a link there, but it doesn't appear on my screen. Weird.
Old 03-07-19, 12:22 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
She got 74th place out of 141 starters in a 123km professional bike race with many of the best female professional cyclists in the world.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite Women 2019: Results | Cyclingnews.com
I'm pretty sure my kid did, or was going to do that race. I've been at half a dozen in the area and watched him and others race, although never the women.

Nothing about this situation seems odd other than it is news. Chantal should be getting the attention, but we'd rather give it to someone who finished 12 min back. Anyone can be a jack rabbit - esp before the cobbles.

It was clearly frustrating for her. 140 riders I can see a great argument to move the groups farther apart, or have their own day, but the race venues benefit having multiple events per day in spectators and cost. Typically there are rolling enclosures on these races, so they can have big gaps. In this case, maybe there was no rolling enclosure.

I'm looking at the finishing times. 12 min back, and looks like the cut at 91st place for the finishers was 15:49.

The report says she was 1 min ahead when the woman's field was neutralized - before the cobbles, and pretty early into the race. For someone to be 1 min ahead that early in a 76 mile race is not so unusual. For the group going 120miles (I assume this was the men's pro 200K group) going slow their first quarter race before the cobbles is also not unusual. What is odd is this hadn't happened before with a 10 min gap. But as I mentioned, before, predicting which group will be faster is often tough.
Old 03-07-19, 12:27 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by Doge
Chantal should be getting the attention, but we'd rather give it to someone who finished 12 min back. Anyone can be a jack rabbit - esp before the cobbles.
As you said before, this is not about cycling.
Old 03-07-19, 12:30 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure my kid did, or was going to do that race. I've been at half a dozen in the area and watched him and others race, although never the women.

Nothing about this situation seems odd other than it is news. Chantal should be getting the attention, but we'd rather give it to someone who finished 12 min back. Anyone can be a jack rabbit - esp before the cobbles.

It was clearly frustrating for her. 140 riders I can see a great argument to move the groups farther apart, or have their own day, but the race venues benefit having multiple events per day in spectators and cost. Typically there are rolling enclosures on these races, so they can have big gaps. In this case, maybe there was no rolling enclosure.

I'm looking at the finishing times. 12 min back, and looks like the cut at 91st place for the finishers was 15:49.

The report says she was 1 min ahead when the woman's field was neutralized - before the cobbles, and pretty early into the race. For someone to be 1 min ahead that early in a 76 mile race is not so unusual. For the group going 120miles (I assume this was the men's pro 200K group) going slow their first quarter race before the cobbles is also not unusual. What is odd is this hadn't happened before with a 10 min gap. But as I mentioned, before, predicting which group will be faster is often tough.
It is a UCI world tour event. Pretty cool for your kid to race it. What team is he on?
Too bad you never watched the women.
Old 03-07-19, 12:43 PM
Doge

While it is always unfortunate to neutralize a race, it is often done. Her results were not unlike before.
She is an average, maybe a wee under average woman's pro rider. IMO she made a publicity wise, cycling not-so-much wise move of being a rabbit.

As more of a cycling fan than social media fan, I don't like that the cycling performances for the 73 in front of her are getting so little attention.
However, it is clear she has brought them more attention than they would have otherwise received.
Congratulations again to Chantal Blaak, ... and 5th place 24 year old USA Alexis on her 1st race this year.
But - yea, I would not have noticed otherwise.

I have no reason to think here results would have been any different if women were the only ones on the road.

74/~140 - this time
This year (barely started, I know):
61/~136
80/~136
85/~136
74/~170
59/~114
Last year similar starting with DNFs
Finished 15/~30 in the ITT
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/nicole-hanselmann
Old 03-07-19, 12:44 PM
PepeM

Nah, had the race not been neutralized she would have mixed it with the men and beat Stybar in the sprint.
Old 03-07-19, 12:53 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This has been whipped up into some sort of controversy when in fact:

1. Neutralization of a race happens all the time for a variety of reasons.
2. A very strange / uncommon set of circumstances had to be present for this to occur: the women's race followed a separate course later in the race so this could only have happened early, the men's race was completely dawdling in the early stages (~30kph) while the women's break was extremely aggressive. It was sort of a perfect storm / bad luck scenario.
3. Given the circumstances, neutralizing the women's race was the best option. Allowing the women's break to mingle with the men's race would have caused havoc with logistics and impacted rider safety. This is a race on public roads with precise road closings designed to limit impact to drivers. That all goes to hell when you have racers / team cars / commissaire cars / motos mixing.
4. The race organizers are to be applauded both for sponsoring a world-class women's race as well as trying to increase the profile of the women's race by having it follow closely behind the men's race and benefit from the crowds. Instead, they're getting sledged in the press as "anti-women" somehow, often by journalists that clearly know nothing about cycling. No good deed goes unpunished.
5. There's a 0% probability that the women's break would have stayed away anyway. It was a standard morning TV-time breakaway, nothing more.

The only criticism I have for the race organizers is that the commissaires should have contacted the men's team cars and told them to tell their riders to get a move on. However, that's an unusual call to make.
Old 03-07-19, 12:54 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by chicagogal
It is a UCI world tour event. Pretty cool for your kid to race it. What team is he on?
Too bad you never watched the women.
I watch women racing a lot. Maybe 50 or so. I did not watch to women in Europe.
I traveled to watch women's racing at the Coors Classic. My wife was a racer and I also saw her friends - Olympians.
Women's road racing is as different from men's road racing as CX is from road racing. It is totally different, and also depends on region. Part of that is the length.

Kid raced juniors for USA as his LUX team, and guested. Some ~40ish Euro races half UCI. They would often get their own day and there were no other fields - women or pros. Thousands of spectators. I got to know the culture, parents, spectators and vibe. Junior racing is huge in Europe. There are scouts looking for talent and the kids are wild. The races are short and very fast. They will often ride faster than the pros. That is not to say they are faster, they just ride faster. Again, the pros are about winning.
Old 03-07-19, 12:57 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The only criticism I have for the race organizers is that the commissaires should have contacted the men's team cars and told them to tell their riders to get a move on. However, that's an unusual call to make.
Other than relaying the information that the women are coming that is about all you can do. There is no "or else" here.
Old 03-07-19, 01:00 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I watch women racing a lot. Maybe 50 or so. I did not watch to women in Europe.
I traveled to watch women's racing at the Coors Classic. My wife was a racer and I also saw her friends - Olympians.
Women's road racing is as different from men's road racing as CX is from road racing. It is totally different, and also depends on region. Part of that is the length.

Kid raced juniors for USA as his LUX team, and guested. Some ~40ish Euro races half UCI. They would often get their own day and there were no other fields - women or pros. Thousands of spectators. I got to know the culture, parents, spectators and vibe. Junior racing is huge in Europe. There are scouts looking for talent and the kids are wild. The races are short and very fast. They will often ride faster than the pros. That is not to say they are faster, they just ride faster. Again, the pros are about winning.
Very cool. I have never raced in Europe... or even gotten to watch a race in Europe!!!!
Yeah, lots of support for juniors racing there... more support for women's racing in Europe than in USA too. All I hear is about what a great environment it is for bike race. Again, awesome that you (and your son) got to experience some of that.
Old 03-07-19, 01:01 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I'm sure it gets a much greater audience when one group passes, then 10 minutes later the next group passes.
That's probably why they didn't make the gap bigger than 10 minutes, better for the crowd and therefore for the exposure the women get.

It likely helped PR a lot when the women actually caught up with the men, even just for a moment.
With the emphasis on the P of personal. I don't think it made any impression on any cyling fan concerning women's cycling.
Old 03-07-19, 02:02 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I've heard the same complaints about basketball.

Men's (collegiate) basketball is all about strategy. Essentially playing "keep-away", and running down the clock.

Women's (collegiate) basketball is running the ball down the court and putting it in the hoop. I think they may also have a shot clock that keeps them moving.
You don't watch basketball do you? Both men's and women's college basketball have had a shot clock for decades.
Old 03-07-19, 02:07 PM
OBoile

True...

Threaten the men with disqualification if they get passed (or any of the women got within 50 yards/meters of them), and one might have seen quite a horse-race.

My guess is the gap would have naturally widened on the next hill after the neutralization point anyway, but could have closed once again on the plateau above.

The support vehicles could easily have dropped 5 minutes back for the next 10 miles, and then caught up later. Flat tire or crash ==> Neutralization?

Perhaps get some TV crews mixed into the Women's race.
The women's peloton was only 90 seconds back. Having the support vehicles drop back would have meant having roughly 150 cyclists navigate their way past a train of cars. At the very least, it would have created a situation where they would have to only use part of the road (with the cars pulled over), but I'd be surprised if it didn't lead to people trying to move up by weaving in and out of the parked traffic. It would have been a bad situation.
Old 03-07-19, 03:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
The women's peloton was only 90 seconds back. Having the support vehicles drop back would have meant having roughly 150 cyclists navigate their way past a train of cars. At the very least, it would have created a situation where they would have to only use part of the road (with the cars pulled over), but I'd be surprised if it didn't lead to people trying to move up by weaving in and out of the parked traffic. It would have been a bad situation.
It is in and out of urban environments with traffic control at every intersection. They could have directed the cars to take a right while the cyclists went straight. Then a quick loop around the block and they're behind the next group of riders.

But, moving the support vehicles out of the way would only gain a minute or so. That may well have been enough as terrain was changing (and perhaps a stern reminder that racers were behind the men).
Old 03-07-19, 03:20 PM
OBoile

It is in and out of urban environments with traffic control at every intersection. They could have directed the cars to take a right while the cyclists went straight. Then a quick loop around the block and they're behind the next group of riders.
Logistically, I think this would have been pretty difficult to do given the short amount of time they had to organize such a move. One could also argue it is more disruptive overall than pausing the women's race but preserving the time gaps.
Old 03-07-19, 03:37 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by PepeM
No need to assume, you can just watch the race.

https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSpo...1060175811537/

EDIT: There is a link there, but it doesn't appear on my screen. Weird.
Thanks...'

Watching some of it now., My computer and Facebook really don't like the file size, so it is coming down slowly.

Wow, Nicole Hanselmann is really moving out with a great tuck... It is quite a difference from watching the leader and those in the back of the Peloton.

I could imagine the benefits of cornering solo rather than cornering in the middle of a crowd of 100 bikes. Perhaps a few other benefits of being out front.

However, that would be a long ride to go solo. I'm surprised Nicole didn't bring any of her teammates on the breakaway. 2 or 3 of them and they might have had a chance.
Old 03-07-19, 03:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
She wasn't really punished. She was allowed to keep the gap she had on the peloton when the race restarted. She also wouldn't have gained any advantage by joining the men's peloton, since that peloton was moving slower than the women's peloton.
Do you race? When someone is on a break and has the motor running at full throttle, most of us anyway can't just turn it off and back on. Rarely do breaks survive such stoppages unless it has enough strong riders to match who is in the field. The race officials knew full well they were almost certainly killing her effort. Race-winning small breaks do far, far more effort than anyone in the field.

Edit: see my post (page 4, #84 ) for an easy, simple and rather fun solution in the future.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-07-19 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 03:47 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Do you race?
Yes.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Rarely do breaks survive such stoppages unless it has enough strong riders to match who is in the field.
Solo breaks from the start of the race never win. Her chance of winning from that position was pegged at 0%.

EDIT: Referring to WT level racing here. In the amateurs all kinds of stuff happens.
Old 03-07-19, 04:29 PM
CliffordK

Solo breaks from the start of the race never win. Her chance of winning from that position was pegged at 0%.

EDIT: Referring to WT level racing here. In the amateurs all kinds of stuff happens.
RARELY....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_d...ful_breakaways

The longest successful post-war breakaway [in the Tour de France] by a single rider was by Albert Bourlon in the 1947 Tour de France. In the stage Carcassone-Luchon, he stayed away for 253 kilometres (157 mi).[7] It was one of seven breakaways longer than 200 km, the last being Thierry Marie's 234 km escape in 1991.[7] Bourlon finished 16 m 30s ahead. This is one of the biggest time gaps but not the greatest. That record belongs to José-Luis Viejo, who beat the peloton by 22 mins 50 secs in the 1976 stage Montgenèvre-Manosque.[7] He was the fourth and most recent rider to win a stage by more than 20 minutes.
Old 03-07-19, 04:34 PM
PepeM

Of course.

Although I would say that it is more likely to occur in a stage race, where the leaders are more worried about time gaps among them than who wins the stage.
Old 03-07-19, 07:27 PM
Doge

I'm just curious. Did anyone watch ALL the race video?
Race Video " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Race Video " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSports/videos/381060175811537/" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSports/videos/381060175811537/ " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSports/videos/381060175811537/" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSports/videos/381060175811537/ " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
Old 03-07-19, 07:29 PM
Doge

I'm just curious. Did anyone watch ALL the race video?
Race Video
https://www.facebook.com/ProximusSports/videos/381060175811537/
Did you(the link was hidden, so I had to quote myself)?
Old 03-07-19, 10:07 PM
CliffordK

Did you(the link was hidden, so I had to quote myself)?
When you post, there are several options that you can disable.
  • Automatically parse links in text
  • Automatically embed media (requires automatic parsing of links in text to be on).
  • Automatically retrieve titles from external links

I presume it is the "embed media" that is crashing your link.

My computer is still disliking the download, but I've watched about half of the video so far (a bit past the break).

Unfortunately they didn't show the footage from the second half of the break and as the race resumed.

I could see the apparent congestion just before they stopped the race, but not any actual cyclists in front of the women.

I found the break rather odd.

Most of the women got off their bikes. Some were rearranging clothing. Some apparently headed to a restroom. I saw at least a couple of team helpers filtering through the crowd delivering nutrients and liquids. Some women were eating.

I didn't see a single person come forward to talk to Nicole Hanselmann. Not one teammate came forward to congratulate her on a spectacular breakaway. I don't think she even unclipped from the bike.

During the period of the race I saw following the break, I couldn't see any numbers, but I think Nicole was frequently in the front 10 riders, often taking a fair amount of wind. Narrowly missing the crash on the cobbles.

A couple of teams were clearly working the lead together. But, not a single teammate around Nicole.

Those hills would have been killers as fatigue of the breakaway began to settle in, but it is hard to say what would have happened if the momentum hadn't been broken up.

During the lead, Nicole had kept the gap between herself and the chasers about the same, and slowly was opening the gap between herself and the Peloton. Whew, those chasers were rapidly rotating their draft line.
Old 03-08-19, 12:07 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Why separate races for men and women? They could race together, maybe after some kind of qualification if there's a max number of riders allowed. I assume the fastest women are faster than the slowest men.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.