Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

52T vs 70T (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 06:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
....if he can do 50 why isn't he a pro biker now or is his small chainring holding him back
Exactly. He keeps talking about how little the "randos" know, but he's approaching this as if spinning out is the one thing holding him back as opposed to, you know, the exponential power requirements to force your way through the air at increasing speeds.
Old 03-19-19, 06:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A fun app is "Bike Calculator". There are a few different ones, but they are all similar.

Bike Calculator

Ok, so for some sample data:
220 lb rider (100 kilos)
20 lb bicycle
tubular wheels
Aerobars
70 degrees F
500 ft
0 grade
0 headwind

20 MPH --> 143 Watts (1.43 watts / kilo)
25 MPH --> 252 Watts (2.52 watts / kilo)
30 MPH --> 408 Watts (4.08 watts / kilo)
35 MPH --> 623 Watts (6.23 watts / kilo)
40 MPH --> 905 Watts (9.05 watts / kilo)
45 MPH --> 1265 Watts (12.65 watts / kilo)
50 MPH --> 1711 Watts (17.11 watts / kilo)

Now, let's try the same with the same parameters, Clinchers/Drops.
20 MPH --> 183 Watts (1.83 watts / kilo)
25 MPH --> 322 Watts (3.22 watts / kilo)
30 MPH --> 523 Watts (5.23 watts / kilo)
35 MPH --> 799 Watts (7.99 watts / kilo)
40 MPH --> 1162 Watts (11.62 watts / kilo)
45 MPH --> 1625 Watts (16.25 watts / kilo)
50 MPH --> 2200 Watts (22.00 watts / kilo)

WHEW!!!

Note the huge power differences when comparing speed with aerobars/tubulars vs drops/clinchers.
Another thing to keep in mind is that these calculations are requirements to maintain speed. To actually accelerate up to that speed is going to require even more power. This will become more and more problematic the further above FTP you go because you're getting to the very pointy bit of your power curve and you need time to actually accelerate.
Old 03-19-19, 07:14 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tellmethetruth
For sure man. Definitely not going to stop because some randos online said it's impossible.
Hey, I'm interested to see the final build and result.

I see a lot of the same people make snarky comments here quite often. I've seen their type on group rides, picking apart every thing wrong a first time riders bike or equipment. The sad part was that many of the first timers would not return.
Old 03-19-19, 07:36 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I absolutely want to see you try it, and I expect you will go very fast, but you do understand that 50 mph on an upright, unassisted, level would beat the world record by several mph, right?
Old 03-19-19, 08:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Hey, I'm interested to see the final build and result.<br /><br />I see a lot of the same people make snarky comments here quite often. I've seen their type on group rides, picking apart every thing wrong a first time riders bike or equipment. The sad part was that many of the first timers would not return.
Have you really not seen the actual statistical backing for the comments that go against the OP? These posters arent picking apart a first time rider's bike or equipment- they are instead commenting on the statistical improbability of an experienced rider being able to do something he is boasting about.
If the boasting didnt exist, the pushback also wouldnt exist.
2 way street and whatnot.

Totally different scenario from your comment about 1st time riders on a group ride.
Old 03-19-19, 08:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
OP, goddamn it ignore the old geezers. Post a video when you make your run. Even if you can't hit 50 mph, I still wanna see you turn that 70T ring.
I respect people who try and fail, not a bunch of armchairs.
I respect people who try and fail vs never trying too.

I also respect people who understand what they are trying to do more than people who ignorantly go into something without a full understanding. Oh, and I respect people who dont mock others while living within their delusion.
Old 03-19-19, 08:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I see a lot of the same people make snarky comments here quite often. I've seen their type on group rides, picking apart every thing wrong a first time riders bike or equipment. The sad part was that many of the first timers would not return.

I'm actually psyched to see what he can do with this. I just think he unnecessarily set himself up for "failure" by ridiculously asserting that 50 mph is a no-brainer (unless he's on a recumbent). He'd be setting a world record if it's not faired, and he'd be very close to a 33 year old world record if it's faired.

I have doubts he'll get it rolling starting in 70x11, but it's an interesting experiment, and if it doesn't work, he'll just have to add a lower "starting" gear. That should be a relatively easy mechanical fix.

Just to be clear--I wouldn't consider it a "failure" if he doesn't hit 50 mph. Saying he is going to do that for sure is the only truly silly thing he has done.
Old 03-19-19, 08:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
.. .Yet they all have their clueless opinions which are projections of their own inadequacy.
And speaking of projecting one's inadequacy, WTF is this guy trying to compensate for? It's gotta be something deeply personal.

Old 03-19-19, 08:36 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
And speaking of projecting one's inadequacy, WTF is this guy trying to compensate for? It's gotta be something deeply personal.

Well, he is obviously in the mountains, and we know he damned well didn't climb there, so I figured he just wanted to get the most out of his descent.
Old 03-19-19, 08:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Most of us are. The rest, aren't in this thread.

With that sort of leaping ability you ought to consider a career in track and field.

After I read your comment, I went back to the start of the thread. Nobody said anything snarky until @DrIsotope noticed the guy was planning a 70x11 singlespeed---and that struck Dr. Isotope as ridiculous (considering that the gearing goes way beyond human capacity, some might suggest a smaller chain ring for greater utility.) Then the OP tried to explain that he was stronger than Superman, while insinuating that the rest of us were underweight wimps. All good fun so far.

As for how any of us treat new riders at a group ride ... sorry about your problems. Next time you go to a group ride, bring some thick skin and some confidence.

Or maybe ... you feel guilty because the guys you ride with picked on some new rider and you didn't stand up for him or her?

In any case .... you might not have noticed, but this is a website, not a group ride. And the OP has plenty of posts and plenty of experience. Also, the OP seems well able to defend himself.

Dr. Isotope called the idea of a 70x11 singlespeed "nonsense" because he did the math and figured out that to ride to 50 mph on a conventional bike would take more power that Sir Chris Hoy could put out, and would break all existing speed records by a considerable margin--sort of if I came here looking for good running shoes, claiming i was going to run a one-minute mile.

OP responded, "Hey it's the guy who can't climb mild gradients with a 38t-11t. Even 48t-11t must be nonsense for you." So basically, Dr,. Isotope said, "Physics and human physiology," and the OP responded, "You're a weak wuss."

Kind of hard to see who is actually being mean to whom, there.

Whatever. It is assumed that we are all adults here, or experienced internet users, who don't melt when someone says something other-than-laudatory.

This thread seems to offer excellent entertainment prospects for several weeks to come. Let the posters have their fun. Sooner or later this thread will have to deliver cell phone video of a rider trying to turn that gargantuan chain ring which started the thread, and we shall all be entertained, however fast he goes.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-19-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 10:15 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
After following this thread with much interest and with the consumption of no small amount of popcorn I believe I've figured it out. The OP is almost certainly the guy from the Liberty Mutual commercial who likes to customize his bicycle. With all due respect. I should have said with all due respect.

-Matt

Last edited by MattTheHat; 03-19-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 10:45 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
After following this thread with much interest and with the consumption of no small amount of popcorn I believe I've figured it out. The OP is almost certainly the guy from the Liberty Mutual commercial who likes to customize his bicycle. With all due respect. I should have said with all due respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpWXpRy_6oI

-Matt

With the OP's proposed gearing, the rider would go almost 45' with one rpm,

so you would see his leg go one third of a revolution across the frame.
Old 03-19-19, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

-Matt

I might have paid you money not to post that commercial. Man, I hate Liberty Mutual's "funny" ads.
Old 03-19-19, 10:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I might have paid you money not to post that commercial. Man, I hate Liberty Mutual's "funny" ads.
PM me...we can work something out.

-Matt
Old 03-19-19, 11:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Most of us are. The rest, aren't in this thread.

With that sort of leaping ability you ought to consider a career in track and field.

After I read your comment, I went back to the start of the thread. Nobody said anything snarky until @DrIsotope noticed the guy was planning a 70x11 singlespeed---and that struck Dr. Isotope as ridiculous (considering that the gearing goes way beyond human capacity, some might suggest a smaller chain ring for greater utility.) Then the OP tried to explain that he was stronger than Superman, while insinuating that the rest of us were underweight wimps. All good fun so far.

As for how any of us treat new riders at a group ride ... sorry about your problems. Next time you go to a group ride, bring some thick skin and some confidence.

Or maybe ... you feel guilty because the guys you ride with picked on some new rider and you didn't stand up for him or her?

In any case .... you might not have noticed, but this is a website, not a group ride. And the OP has plenty of posts and plenty of experience. Also, the OP seems well able to defend himself.

Dr. Isotope called the idea of a 70x11 singlespeed "nonsense" because he did the math and figured out that to ride to 50 mph on a conventional bike would take more power that Sir Chris Hoy could put out, and would break all existing speed records by a considerable margin--sort of if I came here looking for good running shoes, claiming i was going to run a one-minute mile.

OP responded, "Hey it's the guy who can't climb mild gradients with a 38t-11t. Even 48t-11t must be nonsense for you." So basically, Dr,. Isotope said, "Physics and human physiology," and the OP responded, "You're a weak wuss."

Kind of hard to see who is actually being mean to whom, there.

Whatever. It is assumed that we are all adults here, or experienced internet users, who don't melt when someone says something other-than-laudatory.

This thread seems to offer excellent entertainment prospects for several weeks to come. Let the posters have their fun. Sooner or later this thread will have to deliver cell phone video of a rider trying to turn that gargantuan chain ring which started the thread, and we shall all be entertained, however fast he goes.
^^^ 100% Spot on. ^^^

---------------------------
@tellmethetruth What are your accomplishments (speed wise) so far? Have you pushed 45, or 40 mph on the level? You know, standard bike, no fairings, motors or any other "cheats"? Surely you've not only thought this out throughly, but have attempted similar feats many times previously. Maybe you spun out at 45 and went back to the drawing board.

Old 03-19-19, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

PM me...we can work something out.

-Matt

Too late--the damage was done.

Meanwhile, back at the big crank thread.....
Old 03-19-19, 12:32 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
70T?

Did that come in a box marked 'automotive flywheel'?

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/e...l?Ntt=Flywheel
Old 03-19-19, 01:04 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Subbed
Old 03-19-19, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
70T?

Did that come in a box marked 'automotive flywheel'?

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/e...l?Ntt=Flywheel
Those have been on E-Bay for quite some time. I've posted a few links on occasion.

I did pick up a really big 1/2" pitch ring that was about 1/4" wide at the local recycler. I assume made for gocarts or something.

There are also a few 60T rings, and a 61T ring with ramps and pins (or there was at one time).
Old 03-19-19, 03:28 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Well, he is obviously in the mountains, and we know he damned well didn't climb there, so I figured he just wanted to get the most out of his descent.
dumbest bike ive ever seen....
Old 03-19-19, 04:25 PM
tellmethetruth

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
^^^ 100% Spot on. ^^^

---------------------------
@tellmethetruth What are your accomplishments (speed wise) so far? Have you pushed 45, or 40 mph on the level? You know, standard bike, no fairings, motors or any other "cheats"? Surely you've not only thought this out throughly, but have attempted similar feats many times previously. Maybe you spun out at 45 and went back to the drawing board.
I've hit over 65-70 kph on a flat, no fairings, on a 52/11, road/tt bike (non-pro aero frame and tt bars). Just under 5km distance.
The reason I jumped to 70t, was because of how easy the 52t felt. I don't want to buy new chainrings every few weeks jumping 2-3 extra teeth. So I bought what I think I can handle, and I work up to that.
I've been cycling all my life as many have, and I think it's natural for me.
The reason I'm converting to single speed is to gain gear efficiency, and because ever since I started cycling, I've only used the highest gears, for climbing, flats, etc.

Most people on here who are shocked about this, and measure up to world records, don't realize that not everyone wants to be a pro cyclist, a world record holder, or famous, and there is always someone better than the best.
I think most people here are stuck in the mindset that cycling is strictly an endurance sport. It is to some degree, but it's not.
Old 03-19-19, 04:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've hit over 65-70 kph on a flat, no fairings, on a 52/11, road/tt bike (non-pro aero frame and tt bars). Just under 5km distance.
Making some necessary assumptions based on the OP's vaguish nature, but for a cyclist of average height and weight (5'10", 150lbs) in a phenomenally aero position with a 52/11 gear, 65kph (40.4mph) would require a cadence of ~110rpm and a power output of roughly 1,000W. Not outside the realm of possibility until the distance becomes 5km. OP states "just under" so let's round it down to 3 miles even. At 40.4mph, a mile clicks by every 89 seconds, so the above-mentioned power would need to be sustained for 4m27s, give or take.

Take the power and divide it by the rider's weight to get a figure of 14.7W/kg. This is an utterly exemplary amount of power, as the best Tour cyclist in the world can sustain just under 8W/kg for that duration. If the OP could produce even 2/3 of the effort he is now claiming, he would be one of the most-- if not the most-- powerful cyclist(s) in the world. What he's claiming now is simply implausible.
Old 03-19-19, 05:07 PM
tellmethetruth

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Making some necessary assumptions based on the OP's vaguish nature, but for a cyclist of average height and weight (5'10", 150lbs) in a phenomenally aero position with a 52/11 gear, 65kph (40.4mph) would require a cadence of ~110rpm and a power output of roughly 1,000W. Not outside the realm of possibility until the distance becomes 5km. OP states "just under" so let's round it down to 3 miles even. At 40.4mph, a mile clicks by every 89 seconds, so the above-mentioned power would need to be sustained for 4m27s, give or take.

Take the power and divide it by the rider's weight to get a figure of 14.7W/kg. This is an utterly exemplary amount of power, as the best Tour cyclist in the world can sustain just under 8W/kg for that duration. If the OP could produce even 2/3 of the effort he is now claiming, he would be one of the most-- if not the most-- powerful cyclist(s) in the world. What he's claiming now is simply implausible.
Oh my poor friend...don't you know hitting 500 watts by a 5'5" 100ibs, 20% bf, is much different than a 6'5" 245ibs. 9% bf?
It's great you can throw some numbers into a cycling calculator, but there's more to it. Did you factor in frame size, leg inseam, muscle mass, VO2, crank arm length, etc? Do you understand the physics of what an extra 5-20 mm crank length, or + avrg 3-6 in length inseam, what kind of difference that makes in watts? Maybe you can weld some metal together, but you should brush up on your physics, anatomy and physiology.

Last edited by tellmethetruth; 03-19-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 05:12 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Without a large tailwind? You should take up track racing.

World record in the 4km individual pursuit is 58kph. That's from a standing start on a fixed-gear bike, but even so, someone of your abilities should be able to beat it by a few kph.
Old 03-19-19, 06:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Oh my poor friend...don't you know hitting 500 watts by a 5'5" 100ibs, 20% bf, is much different than a 6'5" 245ibs. 9% bf?
It's great you can throw some numbers into a cycling calculator, but there's more to it. Did you factor in frame size, leg inseam, muscle mass, VO2, crank arm length, etc? Do you understand the physics of what an extra 5-20 mm crank length, or + avrg 3-6 in length inseam, what kind of difference that makes in watts? Maybe you can weld some metal together, but you should brush up on your physics, anatomy and physiology.

Yeah, the bigger guy needs significantly more power than the little guy. Further, body fat percentage has absolutely nothing to do with power production. Neither do most of the factors you mentioned. A longer inseam doesn’t magically allow you to ignore physics. Power is power, and you’re claiming to make numbers no human being has ever made. Ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.