Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southwest
Reload this Page >

Google Maps Says That Vegas Is a Reasonable Place for an Urban Rider - Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Nevada

Google Maps Says That Vegas Is a Reasonable Place for an Urban Rider - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 03:20 PM
ChurchMouse

Bikes: Full suspension mountain - RadRover City Electric - Brompton soon (maybe)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After spending 20-something years as a bicycle commuter in Salt Lake City I am safely retired - and the house is sold.
I've had a lifelong fascination with Vegas, and - when I use the bicycle overlay on Google Maps - a lot of that town turns green.
This is encouraging, but I don't think it's the whole story.
I know there are fast arterials where bikes aren't welcome. I understand that trying to ride the Strip would be a bad idea. And I know that it gets warm in summer.
Aside from the above, any residents here who can comment on day-to-day riding in that town?
Old 06-05-19, 06:50 PM
ChurchMouse

Bikes: Full suspension mountain - RadRover City Electric - Brompton soon (maybe)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a couple of days I was nervous that perhaps there were no urban riders in Vegas - and that was why there were no responses.

I did receive a reply however, via private message (a message which I cannot read here, due to some coding errors I assume, but which was e-mailed to me) and I would like to thank whoever took the time to compose such a comprehensive report.

Vegas remains, for me, a fascinating place - and perhaps I'll be riding there in the near future. And many thanks to my anonymous informant.
Old 06-06-19, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
had a colleague retire there after selling his business to my boss. his Wife still plays a roll with our company remotely. haven't spoken to him in years, but by all accounts, they are happy there
Old 06-13-19, 02:32 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
had a colleague retire there after selling his business to my boss. his Wife still plays a roll with our company remotely. haven't spoken to him in years, but by all accounts, they are happy there
Hopefully, she's not playing with the bankroll... lol
Old 06-13-19, 05:00 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Vegas has many Urban riders. Some commute to and from work. The RTC set up a bike Valet in the downtown area. The trails around town are extensive and enjoyable. There is now a Century loop around the entire Valley. You can also enjoy the River Mountain loop, though the 3 sisters do kick some booty. This is summer and heat is a huge factor. Since I have been here for 20 years, I know all the shortcuts to Convenience stores and coffee shops. So fat tires or skinny, I can survive.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.