Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is Trek ditching rim brakes on the Domane and Emonda SL?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 07:43 AM
ToiletSiphon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The 2020 Emonda SL is out and it seems that there is now no rim brake option. The 2020 Domane hasn't been announced yet, but the 2019 with rim brake is now on sale (and the same model with disc isn't). Makes me think that there won't be any domane or emonda with rim brakes in a few months.

Where would that leave someone with a rim-brakes frame in case they need a warranty or crash replacement? That would also mean new levers and brakes.

I was really eying the Domane Sl5, not because I don't like the performance of discs, but because it's much cheaper and 1 pound lighter for that price.
Old 07-07-19, 10:39 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Everything is migrating towards disc brakes. I just bought a new bike and went with disc because that is where I see the industry heading, like it or not. To buy rim brakes at this point is to live in the past.

I’ll put on my flame suit and get ready for the heat. But, that’s the way I see it.
Old 07-07-19, 10:40 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon
The 2020 Emonda SL is out and it seems that there is now no rim brake option. The 2020 Domane hasn't been announced yet, but the 2019 with rim brake is now on sale (and the same model with disc isn't). Makes me think that there won't be any domane or emonda with rim brakes in a few months.

Where would that leave someone with a rim-brakes frame in case they need a warranty or crash replacement? That would also mean new levers and brakes.

I was really eying the Domane Sl5, not because I don't like the performance of discs, but because it's much cheaper and 1 pound lighter for that price.
I think disc brakes are worth the weight penalty and there isn’t much of a penalty at the higher end. It’s the only reason I’m thinking of selling my titanium road bike. Your body fat percentage better be optimal if you are going to be complaining about a 1 pound difference and you better be sponsored and ride as a super domestique for Geraint Thomas.
Old 07-07-19, 10:48 AM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

I'll try to answer your question w/o discussing the merits of disc v. rim or telling you to drop a few pounds. My local Trek told me last year that Trek was going to completely eliminate rim brakes within year or two. He told me after his annual dealer meeting. FWIW I trust him as he isn't one who spouts stuff off w/out substance.
Likes For RShantz:
Old 07-07-19, 10:50 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
I'll try to answer your question w/o discussing the merits of disc v. rim or telling you to drop a few pounds. My local Trek told me last year that Trek was going to completely eliminate rim brakes within year or two. He told me after his annual dealer meeting. FWIW I trust him as he isn't one who spouts stuff off w/out substance.

My dealer told me the same thing when I was shopping around.
Old 07-07-19, 05:42 PM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very helpful, although disappointing. Currently there is a 900$ CAD difference between the SL5 rim vs disc. I know discs are better, but for someone who doesn't want to pay a premium, that sure makes every 105 bike much more expensive.
Likes For ToiletSiphon:
Old 07-07-19, 06:08 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
As of 2020 model year, I heard.
Old 07-07-19, 06:12 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Very helpful, although disappointing. Currently there is a 900$ CAD difference between the SL5 rim vs disc. I know discs are better, but for someone who doesn't want to pay a premium, that sure makes every 105 bike much more expensive.
It lower the price of disc bikes. If all bikes are disc, then having those brakes is no longer something special. Companies can’t add a premium to the bike just because they have disc wheels.
Old 07-07-19, 07:27 PM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62
It lower the price of disc bikes. If all bikes are disc, then having those brakes is no longer something special. Companies can’t add a premium to the bike just because they have disc wheels.
So far this has not materialized. Take the Emonda SL5 for example. The rim version was under 2500 cad. Now the disc version is 3300 cad, even if it's now only available in disc version.
Old 07-07-19, 07:58 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
So far this has not materialized. Take the Emonda SL5 for example. The rim version was under 2500 cad. Now the disc version is 3300 cad, even if it's now only available in disc version.
Probably nothing ado about brake systems...and everything to do with raising prices. They only go one-direction. Up.

Remember back when D/A or Record 9s brifters were only $300USD? Or a 105 bike was $1,000? Now, Shimano and everyone else have to "invent" new crappier groups with the very latest in 1990s 8-speed tech to even service the low-end pricepoint.
Old 07-07-19, 08:30 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Don't all bike companies charge more for disc brakes? Frame makers charge more. It will bump up the price, because it cost more.
Old 07-08-19, 12:02 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Probably nothing ado about brake systems...and everything to do with raising prices. They only go one-direction. Up.

Remember back when D/A or Record 9s brifters were only $300USD? Or a 105 bike was $1,000? Now, Shimano and everyone else have to "invent" new crappier groups with the very latest in 1990s 8-speed tech to even service the low-end pricepoint.
News Flash.... Stuff costs more now

My brother bought a 1984 Bianchi with Nuovo Record for $1100(IIRC) back in 1984. A second tier 2019 Bianchi would cost 4x as much today.
Old 07-08-19, 05:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Trek was going disc on all OEM bikes and would offer rim brakes on frames only. But that might have been Specialized. Regardless, don't expect to be able to buy a full rim-brake bike from any of the manufacturers within the next year or two.