Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's that shifter called?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-22-19, 06:00 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts

all I can think of is "des-dromonic" but I know it isn't correct.

it's a rear derailleur, downtube shifting system with two cables. there is pull in the up & down shift, so it is probably required the rear derailleur be paired with it.

any help appreciated.
Old 07-22-19, 06:04 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Sounds like one version of the Shimano Positron but they were all stem shifters, I believe.
Old 07-22-19, 06:08 AM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
There were a number of pull-pull twin cable systems, so there’s no specific name they go by.
Old 07-22-19, 06:12 AM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by thumpism
Sounds like one version of the Shimano Positron but they were all stem shifters, I believe.
Shimano did in fact make a downtube version of the early positron shifter, although it is rarer. They also had a twist shifter for the Lark-W.
Old 07-22-19, 06:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The OP is thinking of desmodronic. It is most commonly used to describe an internal combustion engine whereby the valves are both opened and closed by the camshaft action, not relying on springs for the latter. In the early days, valve springs were unreliable, particularly at high RPM, so desmodronic valve systems were the choice in high performance engines. Bicycles shift systems whereby the cable(s) acts in a pull mode for both the up shift and down shift can also considered desmodronic, though dual cable or pull-pull is probably more common terminology.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-22-19, 06:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The OP is thinking of desmodronic. It is most commonly used to describe an internal combustion engine whereby the valves are both opened and closed by the camshaft action, not relying on springs for the latter. In the early days, valve springs were unreliable, particularly at high RPM, so desmodronic valve systems were the choice in high performance engines. Bicycles shift systems whereby the cable(s) acts in a pull mode for both the up shift and down shift can also considered desmodronic, though dual cable or pull-pull is probably more common terminology.
Think Ducati, Best example of a desmodromic head I could come up with. Wikipedia uses the definition, (paraphrased) having controls to actuate a device in both directions of its action.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-22-19 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 08:05 AM
Kuromori

Calling that desmodromic seems like a real stretch to me, to make something commonplace sound exotic. Really the only place I’ve heard the term used is engine valves(and trying to make something pedestrian seem exotic). Would you really call window blinds desmodromic because there’s one cord to open then and another to close them?

edit: After doing a little more research French people really like the word desmodromique, it is not common in English language patents though. Nor does it seem to imply the Wikipedia definition at the top that says different controls for different directions. It just means no float or springs to prevent float.

Last edited by Kuromori; 07-22-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 08:33 AM
southpier

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The OP is thinking of desmodronic.. . . shift systems whereby the cable(s) acts in a pull mode for both the up shift and down shift can also considered desmodronic, though dual cable or pull-pull is probably more common terminology.
yes; thank you. I first was exposed to this magic via The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles

by Jan Heine. ( of course I don't have the page number!)
Old 07-22-19, 09:14 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Calling that desmodromic seems like a real stretch to me, to make something commonplace sound exotic. Really the only place I’ve heard the term used is engine valves(and trying to make something pedestrian seem exotic). Would you really call window blinds desmodromic because there’s one cord to open then and another to close them?

edit: After doing a little more research French people really like the word desmodromique, it is not common in English language patents though. Nor does it seem to imply the Wikipedia definition at the top that says different controls for different directions. It just means no float or springs to prevent float.
You could say this about any technical/engineering term. The purpose of having a word for it is so that you don't have to say "A mechanical system actuated by a different controller for each state" every time you want to refer to it.

It's nice to be able to say "threadless headset" instead of "A steering bearing system that uses a compression cap and clamp to adjust bearing preload rather than a threaded nut".
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 07-22-19, 09:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Calling that desmodromic seems like a real stretch to me, to make something commonplace sound exotic.
Not exotic, just not English. Sometimes someone else gets there first. Aviation is full of French words (fuselage, aileron). Maserati Quattroporte sounds fancy too, doesn’t it? Just feel lucky it didn’t come from German. It would be called a pushpull-lever-thing
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-22-19, 09:29 AM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
You could say this about any technical/engineering term. The purpose of having a word for it is so that you don't have to say "A mechanical system actuated by a different controller for each state" every time you want to refer to it.

It's nice to be able to say "threadless headset" instead of "A steering bearing system that uses a compression cap and clamp to adjust bearing preload rather than a threaded nut".
Except in English it’s usually just known as pull-pull controls, desmodromic doesn’t actually seem to mean that and pull-pull is actually more specific.
Old 07-22-19, 09:41 AM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Not exotic, just not English. Sometimes someone else gets there first. Aviation is full of French words (fuselage, aileron). Maserati Quattroporte sounds fancy too, doesn’t it? Just feel lucky it didn’t come from German. It would be called a pushpull-lever-thing
That’s really not how desmodromique is used in historical patents. It’s not a thing or an invention, it’s an adjective describing not having an excess of degrees of freedom in the system (exact constraint)

Last edited by Kuromori; 07-22-19 at 09:44 AM.
Likes For Kuromori:
Old 07-22-19, 09:59 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Except in English it’s usually just known as pull-pull controls, desmodromic doesn’t actually seem to mean that and pull-pull is actually more specific.
Yeah, in a Ducati it’s more push-push. I get the controlled both directions sense but can’t think of an equivalent English phrase off the top of my head
Old 07-22-19, 12:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
so you have dromedary camels and desmondronic llamas?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-22-19, 12:51 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
I'm tempted to open up a steeply-banked short track, and stage races going in both directions at the same time, and call it the "Desmodrome".
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-22-19, 12:56 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
The White Industries derailleur is also a pull pull derailleur. https://dirtragmag.com/articles/blas...ailleur-system
Old 07-22-19, 03:05 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread

That's how the military would describe it if they were looking for tenders. Then they would end up paying $35,000.00 for a $35.00 part.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 07-22-19, 03:10 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Seems like the ship has sailed on the "bike parts should have names that make sense" boat. Bottom bracket -- not a bracket. Clipless pedals for a system that unmistakably involves clips? Your saddle is attached to a seat post? Ad infinitum.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-22-19, 03:17 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
The White Industries derailleur is also a pull pull derailleur. https://dirtragmag.com/articles/blas...ailleur-system
Contemporary examples include Rohloff and NuVinci.

I have a twin-cable Le Cyclo rear derailleur on my Jack Taylor. It is uniquely finicky to set up, but works much better than I thought it was going to, when I was going through rebuilding it. Granted that's in a stand. The real world may have other things to say.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 07-22-19, 03:39 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Contemporary examples include Rohloff and NuVinci.

I have a twin-cable Le Cyclo rear derailleur on my Jack Taylor. It is uniquely finicky to set up, but works much better than I thought it was going to, when I was going through rebuilding it. Granted that's in a stand. The real world may have other things to say.
You mentioning Rohloff reminded me of the Pinion Gear Box and made me wonder if it's a dual cable system. It is indeed. Not sure if it's pull-pull. https://pinion.eu/en/accessories-2018/#module-id-11
Old 07-22-19, 03:42 PM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yeah, in a Ducati it’s more push-push. I get the controlled both directions sense but can’t think of an equivalent English phrase off the top of my head
It's not so much that it's technically wrong, but I think the label of desmodromique is not historical, nor is is even a particularly more concise way expressing the specific mechanism in question. It's not the proper word, it's just a suitable suitable and to me, pointlessly exotic (gruppo) word. The usage appears to be modern and Ducati marketing really does play it up to be exotic. Even doing the patent search, it seems where desmodromic comes up a lot is Belgian (in French) patents, like someone once dodged a patent by including a desmodromic mechanism somewhere.
Old 07-22-19, 04:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
That's how the military would describe it if they were looking for tenders. Then they would end up paying $35,000.00 for a $35.00 part.
My employer is one of the companies running up those tabs. True story, one of our suppliers told us SpaceX came to them and asked for the same kind of parts they sell us, except without all the testing and certification. Then SpaceX had a big embarrassing launch failure. Sometimes you trust but verify.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-22-19, 08:43 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by ksryder
Seems like the ship has sailed on the "bike parts should have names that make sense" boat. Bottom bracket -- not a bracket. Clipless pedals for a system that unmistakably involves clips? Your saddle is attached to a seat post? Ad infinitum.
yuppers. and heaven forbid we have any references or influence from outside of our homeland.

now what's the word for . . . .xenophobic?
Old 07-22-19, 11:36 PM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by southpier
yuppers. and heaven forbid we have any references or influence from outside of our homeland.

now what's the word for . . . .xenophobic?
Demosdromic is pseudo-latin. It's not about xenophobia, it's about playing up Euro-flair, even without any obvious historical basis (say derailer vs derailleur), just like people who think Asian bikes bad, since you seem to be trying to imply something.

If you take a look at the old cyclo catalog it literally just says "single wire" and "double wire" but apparently me not attaching exotic sounding words to make things sound fancy in the modern day to things is being xenophobic. Maybe to be culturally sensitive, I should ignore the plain English name for STIs and start calling them "duarukontoroorurebaa" like they call them in Japanese or better yet, use a pseudo-Japanese name for them that was never officially used like "burifutaa" but someone used it somewhere because that's obviously less xenophobic.

Last edited by Kuromori; 07-23-19 at 12:08 AM.
Likes For Kuromori:
Old 07-23-19, 05:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Think Ducati, Best example of a desmodromic head I could come up with. Wikipedia uses the definition, (paraphrased) having controls to actuate a device in both directions of its action.

Bill
Yes, I was going to mention Ducati but I wasn't sure if they still used the desmodromic valves or if the reference would be foreign to the membership. Back in the early 1980s I almost bought an early 1960s Ducati Diana (250cc single), Instead, I acquired a Cinelli of similar vintage and a relatively modern Mariposa. Both were nice bicycles but I disposed of them within about a year and I've always wondered if the Diana would have been a better acquisition.
Likes For T-Mar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.