Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2009 Cannondale Capo

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2009 Cannondale Capo

Old 09-05-08, 03:24 AM
G60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Cannondale Capo

spec differences from '08 models are:

rims- '08=Mach1 510 w/machined sidewall, 32 hole 09'=Jalco GX460, 700c, 32h

Crank- '08=FSA Vero 48T '09=Awful looking 4-arm Truvativ 5D 42T

specsheet lists the same handlebars and brake levers, however the image obviously has some funky track/flat/road style bars with cross style levers. and purple tape/grip condom. and purple chain. i'm a fan of all things purple so i'm not complaining. actually i'm complaining because that's lavender, not purple.

i actually prefer the black frame to '08's BBQ color scheme, sans the white fork and seat tube.
Old 09-05-08, 04:31 AM
kennykaos
sweathogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah those cranks are hideous, and whats with those bars?
Old 09-05-08, 05:13 AM
frankstoneline
stay free.

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that tapered down tube looks gross.
cannondale would do well to maintain a quality product rather than catering to people who color matched fixed gear road bikes so they can do wheelies. They have a great thing going with the rep of old cannondale tracks, why are they bungling it up in such a hurry?
Old 09-05-08, 05:19 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ you have no idea what that bike - or any modern Cannondale - rides like, do you?

with the number of posers fiendin' for the old school Track frames, you'd think C'dale would pull their heads out of their asses and just do a run. Don't get me wrong, the Capo is a nice, nice frameset for its intended use, but people want that Track frame.

last - I agree with the OP about the white on the black frame, esp. on the seat tube. With any real hard riding conditions, the paint in that area gets chipped and discolored. It looks like $hit after a couple months.

Last edited by kergin; 09-05-08 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 05:24 AM
frankstoneline
stay free.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kergin
^^ you have no idea what that bike - or any modern Cannondale - rides like, do you?

with the number of posers fiendin' for the old school Track frames, you'd think C'dale would pull their heads out of their asses and just do a run. Don't get me wrong, the Capo is a nice, nice frameset for its intended use, but people want that Track frame.
my only real experience with anything modern from cannondale is a late 90/early 2000's touring frame and older cannondale tracks/road bikes besides a few quick test rides.
not sure what you are implying they ride like, and I think posers and folks who legitimately enjoy track frames fiend after those old cannondale tracks.
My indication was more intended at my distaste for the aesthetics of that frame and the selection of build parts than the way it rides.
Old 09-05-08, 05:33 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, the reason they taper the down tube like that is to get a really stiff BB. Its just something they like to do with their road frames for power transfer. My CAAD 9 is the same way...

I agree tho, they should just bring back the track model, and the build list on the Capo is bad... really bad. If they're using the same freewheel for '09 as '08, then it will have no sealing, so it'll be gone after one ride in the rain.
Old 09-05-08, 05:40 AM
frankstoneline
stay free.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kergin
Yeah, the reason they taper the down tube like that is to get a really stiff BB. Its just something they like to do with their road frames for power transfer. My CAAD 9 is the same way...

I agree tho, they should just bring back the track model, and the build list on the Capo is bad... really bad. If they're using the same freewheel for '09 as '08, then it will have no sealing, so it'll be gone after one ride in the rain.
ugh, I mean, I can live with foul frame aesthetics I SUPPOSE, but that build list, good lord...
can you feel a noticeable difference in the stiffness with that weird tapered downtube?
thats an honest question, btw, not just me being a dick.
Old 09-05-08, 06:53 AM
bicycleptic
epilepsy advocate

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale touring bike, Cannondale Black Lightning and a Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes me glad I bought my Capo last spring and got a 2008. I have always liked Cannondales frame but have been disappointed before by some of the cheap components that comes with it. I rode several different brands last year including a Langster and in my opinion none of the other frames were as responsive as the Cannondale. I couldn't have bought any of them I rode though without making some modifications right away.

The crank on the 2009 model is horrendous. I would have to change that when I bought it. Maybe they are looking more to the hipster crowd that wants to do tricks. I live in a fairly flat area and I like my 48/16 combination. But then I don't care to skid because my mom isn't buying my tires. The handlebars look horrible but then the handlebars on my 2008 were the 3rd thing I changed right behind the horrible choice in pedals and the seat. I don't mind the tapering of the tubes as I find all of Cannondales frames very responsive. That paint scheme with the white/gray/lavender looks like puke.
Old 09-05-08, 07:30 AM
kergin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frankstoneline
ugh, I mean, I can live with foul frame aesthetics I SUPPOSE, but that build list, good lord...
can you feel a noticeable difference in the stiffness with that weird tapered downtube?
thats an honest question, btw, not just me being a dick.
yeah, it makes a big diff with stiffness. I compare this to Ciocc and Miele lugged steel frames as well as a Giant OCR aluminum frame.
Old 09-05-08, 09:25 AM
TR909

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really glad I got my Capo when I did as well in bbq black (of course the only part left stock on it now is the headset). Those paint schemes make a seriously good frame look cheap and toy-like.

Kergin, I know the capo's based on the older generation CAAD road/crit frames so I was wondering how you like your CAAD9 and how you think it compares to the capo in stiffness, etc. I'm looking to build up an aluminum road bike in the spring and was specifically looking at getting either a CAAD9 or importing an older Ciocc 7005, Principia Ellipse, or Coppi frame.
Old 09-05-08, 09:34 AM
ahand
alright now

Bikes: some bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lost me on the bars and four bolt crank.
Old 09-05-08, 09:48 AM
ubernesss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i actually really like those bars; they look like vampire's teeth!
Old 09-05-08, 01:15 PM
dddave

Bikes: 2012 redline conquest pro / 2008 yeti 575 / motobecan fantom cross uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there an online spec sheet for this?
Old 09-05-08, 01:16 PM
bakaster

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, homegrown fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
overall i kind of like the look of that bike (if you ignore some of the details)
Old 09-05-08, 01:28 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
i like the grey/white frame.

also, we have very similar avatars :-)
Old 09-05-08, 01:34 PM
G60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dddave - there was last night, however cannondale took their '09 site down since then =(

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/ - got the link from weight weenies, and it was up yesterday.

delicious - yes! i was lucky enough to see kraftwerk in 2004 while they were touring for Tour de France Soundtracks. managed front row and center, absolutely the most incredible concert i have ever been to.
Old 09-05-08, 02:49 PM
imoscardotcom
jawesome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm dissapointed with the wheel downgrade and the hideous cranks. they def should have more color options, considering its just grips and a chain
Old 09-05-08, 02:55 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, the black one would give me such a ***** if it was all black with just the "cannondale" on the side of the top tube.

And also just a frameset.
Old 09-05-08, 03:38 PM
TTM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody know how much they are charging? I managed to get my Capo this summer from a shop ~3 hours away that actually had a silver 07 for $700. I bet these 09s are $900-$950 with lesser components (how they managed that I do not know)
Old 09-05-08, 03:42 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTM
Anybody know how much they are charging? I managed to get my Capo this summer from a shop ~3 hours away that actually had a silver 07 for $700. I bet these 09s are $900-$950 with lesser components (how they managed that I do not know)
Cashing in on fg craze, blame it on the price of oil, economy, etc. etc.
Old 09-05-08, 03:49 PM
TTM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi
Cashing in on fg craze, blame it on the price of oil, economy, etc. etc.
its understandable, all bikes seem like they are getting more expensive. I just want to know the difference on the exact same bike
Old 09-05-08, 06:29 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
The only thing worth keeping on the stock '08 capo is the frameset. Even the headset on it is shyte.
Old 09-05-08, 11:03 PM
dealingwithit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would there be any way to put a threaded headset on a capo, or would you be stuck with an integrated one?
Old 09-06-08, 12:52 AM
thinkLove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can't find anything enjoyable at this bike. then again, i've never been able to get into modern cannondales.

you are pretty much stuck with the integrated headset unless you want to try some heavy modifying, which then afterwords will most likely look really awkward with that humongous tubing and skinnier threaded stems/forks.
Old 09-06-08, 06:27 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dealingwithit
would there be any way to put a threaded headset on a capo, or would you be stuck with an integrated one?
You are stuck with it. They take campagnolo hiddensets. You can't change it, the frame was designed that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.