Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

47.5 versus 50mm chainline

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 05:05 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking to replace a cheapo Shimano M191 crankset that spec's at a 47.5mm chainline with a Shimano LX that spec's at a 50mm chainline. The M191 uses a JIS BB versus the Hollowtech II on the LX, so I really don't have the option of different BB widths. Is that 2.5 mm of chainline going to cause me issues and if so what should I anticipate?

I'm swapping from 8 speed to 9 speed including shifters (LX Dual Control) and Front (XT) and rear (Ultegra) derailers at the same time if that matters.

Thanks..
Old 10-20-09, 06:21 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
See "Chainline Measurement" : https://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html#chainline

MTB Triple is generally 47.5mm, but may be larger at 50.0mm if necessary to clear oversized seat tubes.

According to Sheldon, 47.5 is preferred if the frame can handle it. In this case, Shimano has mandated a 50.0 chainline; I assume so it can be more universally compatible.

Every other bike that has this--and similar--crank and bottom bracket combo work fine, so I imagine yours will, too. I doubt you'll notice anything.

All that will happen is that each chainring will now be moved out just over one-half of a cog's worth (the center-to-center spacing between 9-speed cogs is 4.34mm) https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing
Old 10-21-09, 05:47 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Looking to replace a cheapo Shimano M191 crankset that spec's at a 47.5mm chainline with a Shimano LX that spec's at a 50mm chainline. The M191 uses a JIS BB versus the Hollowtech II on the LX, so I really don't have the option of different BB widths. Is that 2.5 mm of chainline going to cause me issues and if so what should I anticipate?

I'm swapping from 8 speed to 9 speed including shifters (LX Dual Control) and Front (XT) and rear (Ultegra) derailers at the same time if that matters.

Thanks..

The only real issue ..... Depending on which rings you ride on most, a 50mm chainline may be better, or worse for drivetrain wear due to the angles of the chain.
Old 10-21-09, 06:16 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Because the external LX BB is made for both 68mm and 73mm, you can play with the washers to set the chainline to either 50mm or 47.5mm. If you have measuring calipers it's not hard to figure it out the correct combo.
Old 10-21-09, 05:53 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Because the external LX BB is made for both 68mm and 73mm, you can play with the washers to set the chainline to either 50mm or 47.5mm. If you have measuring calipers it's not hard to figure it out the correct combo.
Thanks. I found the Shimano Techdocs, looks like I do have some wiggle room. And yeah, have a nice set of Mitutoyo calipers
Old 10-21-09, 06:46 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Bringing the right crank in will push the left crank out an equal amount, right? Is Hollowtech II centered already?

If re-arranging washers does make the whole assembly off-center, I'd want to weigh that against getting the desired chainline.
Old 10-21-09, 07:25 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just installed a Truvative Stylo on my Bergamont, the chainline required me to tighten the fd cable and adjust the stops a little to compensate, but it works excellent. I did not want the cranks offset to one side.
Old 10-22-09, 07:47 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
With a 2.5mm shift/offset and a seat height of 30" above the pedal, what's the angluar difference?...Using HS trig I get a angular difference of 0.4 degrees (87* on non-drive, 87.4* on drive side). I don't have an issues with high Q cranks, I suppose this is why the 0.4* isn't noticed at all by me (it is less than 0.5% difference).