Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

It was nice knowing you all. Good-bye.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-29-13, 01:41 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

I just installed my clipless pedals. Used to have a toe cage. I've practiced a few times and road around my neighborhood clipping and unclipping and it is time for a real ride. I will probably die.

If you have any tall-ish people here my cannondale hybrid is a larger frame. I'm 6'2".

Good bye. Thanks for all the help this forum has given me.

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 06-29-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-29-13, 02:41 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Double-dibs on the Cannondale. It'll fit me just fine.

But, you'll be fine. I went from toe clips to clipless without any issues. Unclipping is pretty much the same, except instead of raising your heel, you just twist it instead.
Old 06-29-13, 02:43 PM
WonderMonkey

I didn't have toe clips, I had the toe cage things.

I'm heading out now after having to come back into the house three times for misc things my wife wanted after almost swinging my leg over the bike each time.
Old 06-29-13, 03:38 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will die. The issue is rather more when.

The wonderful thing about clipless is you fall only at very low speeds. So the most damaged part of you is generally the ego.
Old 06-29-13, 04:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Just take your feet out well before you think you need to. I'd do both for a little while. Clip one back in while you're waiting at the light.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your clipless system will probably be tighter when new and harder to clip out of, so give yourself some extra room. Do it earlier so you don't panic.

The ONLY time I've ever fallen with my feet clipped in was when i stopped and thought I could hang on to something and intentionally didn't unclip. The other time was with toe straps that were done up too tight, and that was a doozy - middle of a big 4 lane intersection in the left turn lane... tipping..... tipping.... splat.... laughter.
Old 06-29-13, 04:56 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dying of embarrassment in the case of a fall is likely, but not fatal.

You'll do fine.
Old 06-29-13, 06:05 PM
WonderMonkey

I'm alive. I went over twice. First was when I pulled over, unlocked my foot and then went to give my crank another small push and somehow rec-clipped. Over. Second was after I walked my bike around a wreck and about 1/4 mile up the road a car was slowing down to turn around and was rolling down the window to talk to me. I forgot I was clipped in. Both the couple in the car and I had a good laugh about it.
Old 06-29-13, 06:27 PM
szewczykm

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 7.2, Giant Defy 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only fallen when trying to take a slow tight 180 turn. I've been pretty lucky. I'd never go back though.
Old 06-29-13, 10:07 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I just went to clipless as well. About three weeks under my belt. You just have to make sure you're thinking about unclipping a few seconds before you stop.
Old 06-30-13, 04:58 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I didn't have toe clips, I had the toe cage things.
The "toe cage things" are toe clips. Whether they're full or half, whether they have straps or not, they're toe clips.

And congrats on making the transition.
Old 06-30-13, 05:54 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I am admittedly not the most coordinated person in the world, but I only fell a couple of times and always at nearly a complete stop. A light tension setting and multi-release cleats (assuming SPD) will cut your clip-out fails to near zero.
Old 06-30-13, 05:58 AM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
can i have your stereo and records?
Old 06-30-13, 08:01 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by CraigB
The "toe cage things" are toe clips. Whether they're full or half, whether they have straps or not, they're toe clips.

And congrats on making the transition.
Ah, thanks! I'm a bit smarter now. Thank you for the correction.
Old 06-30-13, 08:01 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by ka0use
can i have your stereo and records?
Sure can, except I'm alive now. So the deal is off.
Old 06-30-13, 11:46 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
You just have to make sure you're thinking about unclipping a few seconds before you stop.
It becomes second nature after a while. At this point whenever I ride any bike, clipless or not, I'm turning my ankle when I come to a stop.
Old 06-30-13, 11:55 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Just take your feet out well before you think you need to. I'd do both for a little while. Clip one back in while you're waiting at the light.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your clipless system will probably be tighter when new and harder to clip out of, so give yourself some extra room. Do it earlier so you don't panic.

The ONLY time I've ever fallen with my feet clipped in was when i stopped and thought I could hang on to something and intentionally didn't unclip. The other time was with toe straps that were done up too tight, and that was a doozy - middle of a big 4 lane intersection in the left turn lane... tipping..... tipping.... splat.... laughter.
I did that with the toe cages once. Went to lean against a pole and ended up in the road.
Old 06-30-13, 11:56 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by adrien
You will die. The issue is rather more when.

The wonderful thing about clipless is you fall only at very low speeds. So the most damaged part of you is generally the ego.
Unless I fall into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
Old 06-30-13, 12:38 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
I just went to clipless as well. About three weeks under my belt. You just have to make sure you're thinking about unclipping a few seconds before you stop.
In my experience, you're super-paranoid about falling for the first week or two so invariably nothing happens. Then you get complacent because you haven't fallen... and that's when you end up falling over. At least that's the way it always works for me!
Old 06-30-13, 03:10 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One place to keep an eye out for is starting out on a steep hill. It's easy to stop in a high gear, then get back on and realize you can't pedal and then learn your feet are not in a balance. I've not gone over from this but I've come close. I have fallen twice in the same day before I realized my cleat was loose and twisting my foot did nothing....
Old 06-30-13, 03:49 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by digibud
One place to keep an eye out for is starting out on a steep hill. It's easy to stop in a high gear, then get back on and realize you can't pedal and then learn your feet are not in a balance. I've not gone over from this but I've come close. I have fallen twice in the same day before I realized my cleat was loose and twisting my foot did nothing....
I think I may have gotten a bit of training by using the toe cages. Though they are not like the clipless they do keep your feet contained. Using these new clipless did not feel odd to me at all. The falling sensation was a bit different....
Old 06-30-13, 04:31 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Unless I fall into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
Sadly, that has happened.

One tip -- pick a foot. Always unclip the same foot and lean the bike the same way. That will help. Others will tell you learning to do both (or either) is safer, but I'd recommend starting with one. For me, I change out the right cleat 3 times for every left cleat I wear out...
Old 06-30-13, 05:20 PM
DoninIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One tip -- pick a foot. Always unclip the same foot and lean the bike the same way. That will help. Others will tell you learning to do both (or either) is safer, but I'd recommend starting with one. For me, I change out the right cleat 3 times for every left cleat I wear out...
What? No, you unclip the LEFT foot, and flip the pedal so as to not accidently clip it back in just before you come to a stop. Let me tell you my (in)ability to do track stands has really shown up in the time since I switched to clipless pedals, which I absolutely love, in fact I even love them if I'm not wearing my shoes and I'm using the platform side instead, because it's easier than standing on the straps or using clipped pedals upside down. I also thought the adjustment was pretty easy, and although there have been numerous violent and awkward looking kick outs, I haven't fallen yet. But I did have years to get used to clipped pedals, so maybe that's practice.
Old 06-30-13, 05:21 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

The last time I fell over from in clipping was actually from over-confidence. I was just regaining my strength after my leg surgery. It was at the end of a 15 mile ride with a fairly brutal 300 yard hill right at the end. I made it to the top and was feeling quite good about myself. Came to a stop like a million other times and quickly found out I should have tried to unclip sooner. I tried and tried to twist my heel out. I tried for what seemed to be about an hour (which was the amount of time it takes to come to a stop and fall over- in slow motion time!). I just didn't have the strength, and the clips were set pretty loose, too. Just laid there laughing. So was my friend who saw me do it. Untied my shoes and left them on the bike. Overall, it was a good day!
Old 06-30-13, 07:05 PM
WonderMonkey

This is the same advice the guy at the store gave me. He said it helps build habit, etc. Right now I'm unclipping the left first (for habit) then the right for safety. Here and there when I had a wide open space I'd do just the left BECAUSE I'M NUTS LIKE THAT! ok.
Old 06-30-13, 07:06 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by DoninIN
What? No, you unclip the LEFT foot, and flip the pedal so as to not accidently clip it back in just before you come to a stop. Let me tell you my (in)ability to do track stands has really shown up in the time since I switched to clipless pedals, which I absolutely love, in fact I even love them if I'm not wearing my shoes and I'm using the platform side instead, because it's easier than standing on the straps or using clipped pedals upside down. I also thought the adjustment was pretty easy, and although there have been numerous violent and awkward looking kick outs, I haven't fallen yet. But I did have years to get used to clipped pedals, so maybe that's practice.
I'd never considered flipping the pedal over, I'll give that a try. Thanks for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.