Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bad experience with LBS

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bad experience with LBS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 10:04 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I think the LBS miserably failed the OP..

The OP is new to bikes and did not really know what he/she needed. A professional bike shop should be able to spot this a mile away..

It appears they wanted to make a quick sale, send the OP on the way and be done with him/her. This is unacceptable in my opinion.

The LBS should be competent and professional enough to get the OP the right bike, the 1st time..

Originally Posted by MRT2
At a minimum, OP should expect the following.

1. Competent sales, service people. These are people who should live and breath bicycles, and listen to the customer to determine that person's needs, and to steer the customer towards the bike that will suit the customer's riding needs. Such sales staff should be accommodating and should take things in stride if OP wants to think about his options before buying. Indeed, the very best sales people should encourage trying out bikes at other shops, and be willing to highlight why their brand or shop should get your business without bad mouthing other shops, or brands.

2. Once the customer and salesman agree on the type of bike the customer needs, the shop should have enough stock to test ride a variety of bikes for size and quality levels. IMO, this does not mean OP has a right to expect a LBS to order and build up every size and model in the catalog as one poster here suggested lthe other day in a thread, but assuming OP is not extremely short or extremely tall, lbs should have enough inventory to try 2 or 3 models in at least 2 sizes though not necessarily every model in both sizes.

3. Once the new bike arrives, lbs should take the time to set the bike up to the customer's satisfaction and not let the customer take delivery of the bike until customer is satisfied. Minor fit adjustments should be taken in stride and even encouraged. Because a bike that doesn't fit or is poorly adjusted is a bike that will hang in the garage. A happy customer will recommend the shop to his friends and will likely be back to buy additional bikes for his or her kids, or spouses, or even himself.
I agree 100% with this. I think the OP should return the bike and find another LBS to deal with. From the sound of things, the LBS simply wanted to make a quick buck as I see no reason why they would order and sell a bike that is to big for the OP..
Old 06-01-14, 10:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
OP should also consider checking out some smaller shops. I have found that while the behemoths of the bike world, Giant, Specialized, and Trek all make good bikes, in many markets, if you want those brands, you have to buy them at huge corporate stores.

Many times, you will get better service at smaller stores, though you may not be able to get one of the big three. The shop might sell Jamis, Cannondale, Kona, Raleigh, Fuji, All City, or Surly. And that is OK.
Old 06-02-14, 09:08 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nsgators
...I asked the guy if it's 10 days from purchase or from the day I receive the bike. He said 10 days from receiving the bike. Great!!! Will you put the date on my receipt showing I received it today. He say's no...
I'm all for good customer service and agree with what most have said, but actually the staff member probably can't change the date of the receipt because that's the date of the credit card transaction.
In hindsight, maybe you should have insisted on a deposit only when they ordered, and the completed payment on the date of receiving the bike. Then you'd have the final payment receipt, and 10 days refund guaranteed.
In all the years of buying from a bike shop, I've never heard of paying in complete, upon order.

Also I wouldn't sweat it about the fit, you can go back and have them adjust everything (ie. stem, seatpost, saddle etc) free of charge.
Seriously I think you are worrying about not much at all, other than a wanker in a shop. Deal with another staff member when you visit them again.

(of course if you want to get nasty, just pin a bad review on their location on google maps. lol)

Last edited by giantcfr1; 06-02-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 11:02 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I might be missing something here. It seems that most who are posting on this subject think that the average sales person in a LBS is much more in tune to his/her customer than say the average new/used car salesman. Personally I think in most cases they are just different sides of the same coin. It takes a while to find a shop that really gets it for all their customers... not just the roadies (not that being a roady is bad). The first rule of buying anything is checking out the competition.
Old 06-02-14, 01:49 PM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I work for a small local company and appreciate when people do business with us so of course I'm all about supporting the LBSs....but these days some of them make it hard: there is a certain, I dont know, demeaning sort of feeling in the air, like if I'm not riding an $2500 all mountain (and have the body of adonis to go with it), I'm a second class customer.

And manufacturers are no help. I once reached out to one because I didn't feel I was getting any real help from the dealer on something related to their bike. Their response (paraphrased): "please dont bother us...you should talk to a dealer".

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 06-02-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 05:20 PM
ocelotito

Bikes: Specialized Myka sport, Trek Shift 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
I work for a small local company and appreciate when people do business with us so of course I'm all about supporting the LBSs....but these days some of them make it hard: there is a certain, I dont know, demeaning sort of feeling in the air, like if I'm not riding an $2500 all mountain (and have the body of adonis to go with it), I'm a second class customer.

And manufacturers are no help. I once reached out to one because I didn't feel I was getting any real help from the dealer on something related to their bike. Their response (paraphrased): "please dont bother us...you should talk to a dealer".
That's exactly what I felt in the first Trek LBS I went to. The guy didn't even move from the counter. I asked if they had a "low price" bike and he just pointed at something and said "there's the verve, same thing". 40 something woman asking for a comfort bike: not worth their time. Luckily for me there's another Trek nearby and they were more helpful. I bought my previous bike in a Specialized LBS and they treated me so much better. I recently took my bike for tune-up and the mechanic was amazing, even with my $400 mountain bike.
Old 06-02-14, 05:59 PM
Italia1970

Bikes: Trek FX 7.7 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only $400 bike?

That is more than most people ever think about spending on a bike, so don't diminish the amount.

A good LBS will treat you the same as if you buy a $2000 bike, if they are looking at the big picture.

This is just the 1st purchase of establishing a relationship, not a 1 time transaction.

The LBS that get this concept will thrive, the others will get bad publicity and eventually that will effect their bottomline.

You should post the name, location and sales person that aren't worth a **** so others can avoid them
Old 06-02-14, 06:14 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I might be missing something here. It seems that most who are posting on this subject think that the average sales person in a LBS is much more in tune to his/her customer than say the average new/used car salesman. Personally I think in most cases they are just different sides of the same coin. It takes a while to find a shop that really gets it for all their customers... not just the roadies (not that being a roady is bad). The first rule of buying anything is checking out the competition.
Yes, they should, and most, at least in my area, are. There are a few shops that seem to cater more or less exclusively to spandex clad roadies, and if you are looking for a single speed or a comfort bike, you would do well to look elsewhere.

That said, I was at my LBS this weekend to drop off my bike for its final free tuneup under the service agreement I got when buying my bike new 2 years ago. I watched the owner sell a woman a comfort bike. Though I know his preferences, he didn't try to dissuade the customer from the comfort features of the bike, like the suspension fork or step through frame. And when asked about how his product (Jamis) compared to Trek, he managed to handle the situation gracefully and honestly. He didn't say Trek was crap or that the customer would be an idiot to go with the Trek, but rather pointed out that for the money, the Jamis was comparable and that his shop offered 2 years free service and adjustments.

I was impressed with how he handled it. It is tempting to turn your nose up at people looking for a comfort bike, rather than some hipster looking single speed, or fat bike, or full on roadie.
Old 06-04-14, 07:27 PM
nsgators

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the store where the owner works to speak with him. He wasn't there, nor did he call me as requested. I did contact the LBS where I purchased the bike and was able to speak to someone that was willing/wanting to help me. They were willing to let me return my large bike for a medium sized bike. However, I was able to test my large bike and the medium sized bike they had in stock. The medium was definitely a bit small. He took the time to fit the bike for me, and it rides great. I am finally extremely happy with my new purchase. I will not return to this store. I wanted this bike. I got it. Now I will establish a relationship with some other LBS.

Too bad for them, I work with approximately 300 people. Rather than giving praise to the place I purchased my bike, I will make sure not to send them any business.

I finally get to begin my training and get this 44 yr old body into shape. Thank you once again for everyone's feedback.
Old 06-04-14, 07:41 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by nsgators
I went to the store where the owner works to speak with him. He wasn't there, nor did he call me as requested. I did contact the LBS where I purchased the bike and was able to speak to someone that was willing/wanting to help me. They were willing to let me return my large bike for a medium sized bike. However, I was able to test my large bike and the medium sized bike they had in stock. The medium was definitely a bit small. He took the time to fit the bike for me, and it rides great. I am finally extremely happy with my new purchase. I will not return to this store. I wanted this bike. I got it. Now I will establish a relationship with some other LBS.

Too bad for them, I work with approximately 300 people. Rather than giving praise to the place I purchased my bike, I will make sure not to send them any business.

I finally get to begin my training and get this 44 yr old body into shape. Thank you once again for everyone's feedback.
Sounds like they made things right. At least stick with them for free routine adjustments for the first year.
Old 06-04-14, 07:52 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm so happy that things worked out well for you, Nsgators!
Old 06-04-14, 09:32 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty sure all you need to register with Giant is the serial number, which should be on the bike. As for the manual, the one I got with my escape 3 was just generic giant manual, nothing about my specific bike.
Old 06-04-14, 10:03 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Glad it all worked out. You got the bike, and those weasels got the finger. I went from shop to shop up where I live, pretending to be a neophyte and asking lots of questions. It was like my "Naughty & Nice" list. And I'm more than happy to share my findings with all takers. The best people get new customers, and the skunks (we got 'em) are dining on Alpo.
Old 06-05-14, 02:32 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't bought a lot of new bikes, but when I have (1979 and 2003) I never saw an owners' manual. For nostalgic reasons, I bought a used bike identical to what I bought in 1979, and sought out an owner's manual, and bought it too... And, I have seen a few owners' manuals for other bikes.

They may exist, but I haven't seen a bicycle owner's manual that has been worth the cost of printing... They are usually generic, i.e. mine was for "Schwinn Lightweights" and covered information I could have found in any generic 10 speed manual from any manufacturer.

All that to say that I wouldn't sweat not getting a manual.

Also, both of my hybrids, if I bought by the 2" (or even 1" rule) I would be riding smaller, but my bikes work perfectly for me. Stand-over is one factor of sizing, but being comfortable when riding is much more critical to me than having extra clearance when I stand over the tube for 20-30 seconds...

The rules in any manual I have seen related to size is not absolute, it is a guideline, and it could well be that the person who sold you the bike guessed that you could use a larger frame. I know I am very happy with my bikes... Trust me, you'll protect your testicles, and it is worth it if otherwise the bike rides better for you.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-06-14, 10:49 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Stand over is one measure, but not the only one. If you have short legs or a long torso, you may need to go up a size. How tall are you, and how does the bike fit when riding it?
jumping in this late, bingo.

I'm 6' tall and wear 30" inseam pants, so thats me to a Tee... long torso, short legs. having started riding in the days where road bike frames were sized so you could just barely flatfoot over the top tube, I'm quite comfortable riding a frame much taller than today's rules-of-thumb, and I like a bike with a 'long cockpit' (seat to bars), also prefer a longer wheelbase (more comfortable ride, better for carrying panniers, etc). so, I ride a size L in most bike designs, even tho that flunks the 2" standover rule.
Old 06-06-14, 09:33 PM
WVU_Engineer

Bikes: Raleigh Venture

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
In all the years of buying from a bike shop, I've never heard of paying in complete, upon order.
I had to pay for mine on order, they don't carry the largest sizebikes normally.
Old 06-06-14, 10:39 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
bike shops around here will order a bike in a size they don't have if they think they can sell it, if you don't buy it, they'll use it to replace a floor bike someone else buys. it they are overstocked, they might want a $100 deposit or something.
Old 06-08-14, 07:47 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Originally Posted by WVU_Engineer
I had to pay for mine on order, they don't carry the largest sizebikes normally.
That's a bit of bad luck, what happens if it's not what you want, or they ordered the incorrect size?
Seems like this system doesn't guarantee any buyer protection.
Old 06-08-14, 11:33 AM
WVU_Engineer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a bit of bad luck, what happens if it's not what you want, or they ordered the incorrect size?
Seems like this system doesn't guarantee any buyer protection.
That's what their return policy is for. My bike actually came in the wrong color, the box had the correct color printed right on it, I guess the guy who packed it was color blind. The bike shop called me and told me and asked if I would come in to take a look at it to see if it was ok. I went in expecting to tell them to return it and get me the correct color, turned out the color was a much nicer looking color than the picture on the website and catalog and I actually liked it a lot so I took it.

I wouldn't expect them to buy something just in case I want to buy it that they would have a hard time selling, especially since I am not their typical customer and spent far less than their typical customer would. They still treated me great.
Old 06-08-14, 04:51 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Originally Posted by WVU_Engineer
That's what their return policy is for. My bike actually came in the wrong color, the box had the correct color printed right on it, I guess the guy who packed it was color blind. The bike shop called me and told me and asked if I would come in to take a look at it to see if it was ok. I went in expecting to tell them to return it and get me the correct color, turned out the color was a much nicer looking color than the picture on the website and catalog and I actually liked it a lot so I took it.

I wouldn't expect them to buy something just in case I want to buy it that they would have a hard time selling, especially since I am not their typical customer and spent far less than their typical customer would. They still treated me great.
Yeah my concern was the mismatch of colours between the catalogs and reality.
Old 06-08-14, 08:32 PM
WVU_Engineer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah my concern was the mismatch of colours between the catalogs and reality.
The fact is that they were willing to do whatever they had to do over something as trivial as color (and it was the wrong color, silver instead of blue, not the catalog color matching actual color, I only mentioned the colors not looking the same because I thought the silver was ugly but smoke gray is more of what the color looks like in person) then something like the size being incorrect etc like you mentioned they should have no issue with. Besides there are consumer protection laws regarding returns to retail stores, and finally if all else failed credit card companies have purchase protection and would have stopped payment at request.