Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Anybody Racing Tubeless Clinchers?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 08:09 AM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

New to CX racing and was contemplating trying a tubeless clincher disc setup. Looking to get some of the benefits of tubular setups without the gluing / changeability downside. Was planning on a wide profile / tubeless specific wheelset (most likely Stan's Iron Cross) along with a true tubeless CX tire. I weigh ~ 165lbs and was hoping to run pressures in the mid to upper 20s. Not too worried about burping issues given the wide tubeless rim / tubeless tire combo but wondering / little concerned about tire roll over. Currently running tubed clinchers @ 40 psi. Anyone have any experience with this type of setup? Pros / Cons?
Old 11-05-14, 12:02 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been racing a combination of Clement MXP and LAS all season, tubeless, on Stans IronCross rims.

Cons? They're not tubular.

Pros? They're easy to mount. Easy to swap tires. Lower pressure. No pinch flats. And all the other "Pros" of tubeless.

I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs
Old 11-05-14, 12:23 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
Been racing a combination of Clement MXP and LAS all season, tubeless, on Stans IronCross rims.

Cons? They're not tubular.

Pros? They're easy to mount. Easy to swap tires. Lower pressure. No pinch flats. And all the other "Pros" of tubeless.

I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. Just out of curiosity what spoke count r u running on the Iron Cross (I was planning on 24F / 28R) and r u running Stan's hubs?
Old 11-05-14, 12:30 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the Stans wheelset, so it's 24fr/28r with the Stans 3.30 hubs
Old 11-05-14, 03:13 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about tubeless, but read too many bad stories about burping and rolling. However maybe that's solved, seems bdcheung is having good success. My conclusion was that tubeless is relatively new tech for road bikes, and the kinks are still being worked out. On the actual road where you'd be riding at reasonable pressures, say over 80psi, ok there's a lot of force to hold that bead in place. But in 'cross where you're deliberately underinflating the tire and then trying to twist the tire off the rim on off camber slopes etc, it seems like you're taking too many chances. Plus there's not a lot of selection yet and you have to buy everything new - $$.

I went tubular and am about to glue up my second wheelset. Got the wheelsets used for cheap - the second pair cost me $100 off craigslist. Gluing is a bit of hassle, but on the plus side with cyclocross getting it perfect isn't as important, I mean it's a wide knobby tire running at <30 psi, you'll never notice that little imperfect wobble in your glue job. Just make sure they are on solidly.

So now I'll have two wheelsets, one with an all-purpose tread and one mud tread. Swapping them is easier than changing tires on a tubeless wheelset. I figure total cost about the same. They feel great and have improved my riding and my enjoyment of it significantly. Of course I still have my clinchers for training and farting around. Ok I'll have more wheelsets, is that a bad thing?
Old 11-06-14, 07:56 PM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grambo
I weigh ~ 165lbs and was hoping to run pressures in the mid to upper 20s.
I don't have tubeless experience, but I do have about 12 races under my belt with tubes. I routinely run those pressures and lower (down to 22/24 front/rear) with Clement PDX's at roughly your weight (160). I have gotten two pinch flats over that time, including in practices; unfortunately, one of the two was in a race. However, that happened in a wreck, and resulted in a slow leak. My point? Depending on your cross season length, you may not have much time to experiment this season with tubeless. However, you can mess with tire pressure regardless if you are careful with your lines. Just a thought for something to do while you mull over your options.
Old 11-06-14, 08:52 PM
Grambo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fotooutdoors
I don't have tubeless experience, but I do have about 12 races under my belt with tubes. I routinely run those pressures and lower (down to 22/24 front/rear) with Clement PDX's at roughly your weight (160). I have gotten two pinch flats over that time, including in practices; unfortunately, one of the two was in a race. However, that happened in a wreck, and resulted in a slow leak. My point? Depending on your cross season length, you may not have much time to experiment this season with tubeless. However, you can mess with tire pressure regardless if you are careful with your lines. Just a thought for something to do while you mull over your options.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have experimented with running lower pressures on a tubed setup but like you have run into pinch flat issues. Even at 40 psi I have had a couple of close calls during races where in the heat of the moment and trying to put the power down I have felt my rear tire bottoming out against the rim when rolling over a root or obstacle. I have raced tubeless setups on my mtb bike over the past couple of years with very good success so I'm pretty optimistic that tubeless CX will work for me assuming a dedicated tubeless rim and tire combo.
Old 11-11-14, 10:32 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone have luck with a ghetto tubeless set up? I've had a couple issues pinch flating lately but not wanting to drop the cash on a tubular set quite yet. I normally don't run too low of pressure, maybe 45ish psi at 510 155 but I tend to take pretty aggressive lines that have caused me grief.

I might wait till the season is over then experiment with it and see how well I like it since it doesn't cost me race fees when I flat out on a trail.
Old 11-14-14, 02:11 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Anyone have luck with a ghetto tubeless set up? I've had a couple issues pinch flating lately but not wanting to drop the cash on a tubular set quite yet. I normally don't run too low of pressure, maybe 45ish psi at 510 155 but I tend to take pretty aggressive lines that have caused me grief.

I might wait till the season is over then experiment with it and see how well I like it since it doesn't cost me race fees when I flat out on a trail.
Don't do it.

Sounds pretty clearly that your problem is technique.
Old 04-04-15, 06:24 AM
rusheleven

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it.

Work on your technique!

They can happen at the same time. There is no reason you can't work on bike handling, line choice, and gear choice all at once.

Tubless has its own set of flaws and options just like running tubed clinchers and tubulars. Ghetto tubless is cheap and simple to set up and try. Gorilla Tape + Sealant + Valve = (+-)$20
Compare that to start up for tubulars and you have a lot of reasons ($) to just try it.
Old 04-10-15, 05:02 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rusheleven
Do it.

Work on your technique!

They can happen at the same time. There is no reason you can't work on bike handling, line choice, and gear choice all at once.

Tubless has its own set of flaws and options just like running tubed clinchers and tubulars. Ghetto tubless is cheap and simple to set up and try. Gorilla Tape + Sealant + Valve = (+-)$20
Compare that to start up for tubulars and you have a lot of reasons ($) to just try it.
I think tubeless is still a big liability. I thought I was an exception, works great for me on the MTB, used tubeless rims + tubeless tires and am a smooth rider. Made it 2 laps before it burped and I had to run 3/4 lap to pits.

It may be cheap to try, but how much is driving and paying for a race only to find out it doesn't work worth? Practicing is one thing, racing is the only time I feel like I can properly stress components consistently.

Tubulars are a PITA and expensive but they work...
Old 05-20-15, 05:09 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding stans Crest ZTR rims with Clement MXP (not tubeless ready) tubeless for about a year, and have had no problems. The MXP's kind of sucked to mount, but with some sealant in there they've been running fine. Usually do 32 in back, 30 in the front, myself being about 140#
Old 09-22-15, 12:20 PM
digita6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding Specialized Trigger 2Bliss on Pacenti SL25 rims tubeless for about 6 months with no issues. Did a 95 mile gravel fondo over 3 mountain passes with up to 14 mile stretches of horrible rutted chunky rock road descents with no issues. Have been running at about 32 psi in cross so far this season, and no issues so far.
Old 09-25-15, 11:56 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Yes. I am running racing ralphs tubeless on a bicycle wheel warehouse wheelset. I am probably going to go back to tubes. The tires seated up and sealed fine. But if I go below 40, they burp...about 40, and I might as well use tubes. (Rec'd tire pressure is 45 psi. I am 210 lbs. YMMV)
Old 10-03-15, 07:17 PM
atp0726

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro / Fuji Altamira CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding/racing Stans Grails at 24 psi front 26 back with Kenda Kommando pro x tires. Have never burped them and had them as low as 22 in the front 24 in back. Just set them up with WTB Cross Boss tires and will be trying them out tomorrow.
Old 10-12-15, 12:48 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
I think tubeless is still a big liability. I thought I was an exception, works great for me on the MTB, used tubeless rims + tubeless tires and am a smooth rider. Made it 2 laps before it burped and I had to run 3/4 lap to pits.

It may be cheap to try, but how much is driving and paying for a race only to find out it doesn't work worth? Practicing is one thing, racing is the only time I feel like I can properly stress components consistently.

Tubulars are a PITA and expensive but they work...
I don't see how tubulars are a PIA. I've had the same tires glued on my race and pit wheels now for 4 years. No problem at all and still on nice and strong. Expensive? Yes true.
Old 10-12-15, 08:29 PM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running tubeless on my current setup (stock wheels and tires of a Giant Advanced Pro I) and have been really happy. No issues at all. I'm ~150 lbs and run pressures in the mid to low 20s