Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Annual 50+ ride this year?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-01-15, 05:14 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts

I've been buried in work this year, sometimes in the USA and sometimes in Germany. Not that I'm tuned up for a lengthy tour, but were any plans agreed on for an Annual 50+ ride this year?
Old 06-01-15, 06:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've been buried in work this year, sometimes in the USA and sometimes in Germany. Not that I'm tuned up for a lengthy tour, but were any plans agreed on for an Annual 50+ ride this year?
Hi Road Fan,

Thanks for bringing this up. Fifty-Plus Rides are always a highlight of my cycling year, and I have started training for something:

This one seems to have the most momentum:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
See this proposal for a Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in Pennsylvania in the Fifty-Plus thread, ”Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike.”

I’d like to stir up some interest in these repeats; the Boston date has not been announced yet, as of last week:

Last week I arranged my work schedule for three (possible) Fifty-Plus weekend events:
  • The planned Pennsylvania Ride in October 9-11
  • A possible repeat of the Annual Onehelluva Ride in Chelsea, MI, July 11
  • A possible repeat of the MassBike Family Fun and Century Ride in Metro Boston, (?) last weekend in July
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Looks like so far One Hell Of A Ride, Irwins gravel grinder, And somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania. Shaping up nicely.
Irwin7638 had mentioned a "gravel grinder" in Western Michigan sometime in September, as I recall, and I think he has lined up several riders.

Finally, this Ride was proposed last year for May 17, 2015 in Santa Fe, NM, but I have not seen any reports.

... Of note, Dnvr Fox has made a proposal for a 7th Annual Ride for next year...
For those unfamiliar with the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides:

…I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One [usually in conjunction with an organized ride by an established cycling group] that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-01-15 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Added note about Irwin's "gravel grinder."
Old 06-06-15, 09:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Looks like so far One Hell Of A Ride, Irwins gravel grinder, And somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania. Shaping up nicely.
I just came across the post about Irwin’s gavel grinder, FYI.
Old 06-06-15, 10:43 AM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jim, no tar strips in gravel grinding. J/k
Old 06-06-15, 10:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks Jim, no tar strips in gravel grinding. J/k
Hi fr1 (Jay),

Thanks for the note and reminder about tar srips. Hope to see you on the OHR this July; still tentative but I'm training. Any others from Fifty-Plus going?
Old 06-07-15, 07:10 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Hi fr1 (Jay),

Thanks for the note and reminder about tar srips. Hope to see you on the OHR this July; still tentative but I'm training. Any others from Fifty-Plus going?
Does anyone have a link on this year's OHR? I just might be able to make it.
Old 06-07-15, 03:12 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Ann Arbor Bicycle Club
Old 06-07-15, 04:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Does anyone have a link on this year's OHR? I just might be able to make it

Ann Arbor Bicycle Club
Specifically, the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society
Old 06-07-15, 05:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Ann Arbor Bicycle Club
Thanx!
Old 06-08-15, 10:22 AM
Jim from Boston

The OHR was the site of the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride. The personal narratives of that ride begin with this post, including freedomrider1's admonition about tar strips.
Old 06-08-15, 12:02 PM
OldsCOOL

The OHR was the site of the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride. The personal narratives of that ride begin with this post, including freedomrider1's admonition about tar strips.
That was a crazy ride. I recall reading this, especially your tar strip wreck and trip to the ER. Thanx for the links!
Old 06-08-15, 01:00 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to look up Admonition.
Old 06-08-15, 04:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm still planning to go to the Bicycle Times Adventure Fest at Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015.
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...11-2015-a.html
Old 06-08-15, 05:18 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
The gravel ride Jim mentioned was not a 50's specific event but just passed along to anybody who might be interested. Unfortunately I won't make the OHR this year but plan to be in Pennsylvania for the ride.

Marc
Old 06-08-15, 08:12 PM
Jim from Boston

...Hope to see you on the OHR this July; still tentative but I'm training. Any others from Fifty-Plus going?

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm still planning to go to the Bicycle Times Adventure Fest at Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015.
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...11-2015-a.html
Thanks for that note. I’m also in training for that one. I was planning to waffle in my training schedule tomorrow, but now I’m provoked to ride.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
The gravel ride Jim mentioned was not a 50's specific event but just passed along to anybody who might be interested. Unfortunately I won't make the OHR this year but plan to be in Pennsylvania for the ride.
Nonetheless, Marc, your ride does seem to recreate the élan of previous 50+ Rides.
Old 06-08-15, 08:19 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
We are still in for Entriken, as well!
Old 06-12-15, 09:42 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Hi fr1 (Jay),

I plan to go and to bring Mrs. Road Fan. She should by then have her new Georgena Terry to sail off on, and I might have my newer Mondonico in good trim.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-12-15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 04:09 PM
Jim from Boston

I plan to go and to bring Mrs. Road Fan. She should by then have her new Georgena Terry to sail off on, and I might have my newer Mondonico in good trim.
Hi @Road Fan, Mrs. RF, @freedomrider, @OldsCOOL, et al.

My still-tentative plans for the OHR is to incorporate it into a visit with family in the Northeastern Detroit suburbs, as I did in 2010. Like we did in 2010, I was thinking about a Friday afternoon ride and/or later dinner. A possibility might be another favorite Ann Arbor ride when I was in school there, riding out Whitmore Lake Road, for a round trip of maybe 20 miles at most. It parallels I-23, so traffic might not be too heavy.

Now from Fraser MI to Ann Arbor (and Chelsea, MI) is a bit of a schlepp for me, especially on a summer Friday afternoon on a whirlwind visit to see my large family, so if anybody has any plans for the OHR ride, could you keep me posted? If there is enough interest in Friday activities, I might get a motel near AA or Chelsea. For me, socialization with other 50+ members is the draw, more than the Ride.

I would like to start the OHR early, as soon as possible after the 6:45 AM check-in, and if we decide to ride together, by mutual decision, on the 39, 64, or 75 mile routes. I ride solo at about a 13-14 mph pace, maybe slightly faster in a group…I have ridden in pacelines. I would want to get back to Detroit late Saturday afternoon at least, since I'll leave for Boston on Sunday.

So, that’s my story, but I’m flexible, and not sticking to it.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-14-15 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 04:42 PM
OldsCOOL

Hi @Road Fan, Mrs. RF, @freedomrider, @OldsCOOL, et al.

My still-tentative plans for the OHR is to incorporate it into a visit with family in the Northeastern Detroit suburbs, as I did in 2010. Like we did in 2010, I was thinking about a Friday afternoon ride and/or later dinner. A possibility might be another favorite Ann Arbor ride when I was in school there, riding out Whitmore Lake Road, for a round trip of maybe 20 miles at most. It parallels I-23, so traffic might not be too heavy.

Now from Fraser MI to Ann Arbor (and Chelsea, MI) is a bit of a schlepp for me, especially on a summer Friday afternoon on a whirlwind visit to see my large family, so if anybody has any plans for the OHR ride, could you keep me posted? If there is enough interest in Friday activities, I might get a motel near AA or Chelsea. For me, socialization with other 50+ members is the draw, more than the Ride.

I would like to start the OHR early, as soon as possible after the 6:45 AM check-in, and if we decide to ride together, by mutual decision, on the 39, 64, or 75 mile routes. I ride solo at about a 13-14 mph pace, maybe slightly faster in a group…I have ridden in pacelines. I would want to get back to Detroit late Saturday afternoon at least, since I'll leave for Boston on Sunday.

I had to breathe in a big lung of air and sigh after reading that. Now, that is one full weekend. Our downstate plans changed to the 4th so I'm out.
Old 06-14-15, 05:04 PM
Road Fan

I'm still up for OHR, but ... I had a crash yesterday and the beautiful silver Mondonico some of you have seen is now history. I may get the bent main tubes replaced, but it will total out around $900 from Matt Assenmacher's and $500 from Franklin Frames near Columbus, OH. In any case I doubt that bike will be back together by then. But I now have an issue over what to ride. I have a Trek 610 (a kind of low score), my Terraferma 650b (a medium score), and another Mondonico (high score if I can sort out the fittin's better).

My health came out surprisingly well: No concussion, good range of movement except for stiffish neck, no headache or amnesia, and the sore shoulder seems only to be bruised. My helmet is a total loss, however, badly fractured. It did its job.

Unless my shoulder starts a delayed stiffening, I should be fine for OHR as long as I stay on two wheels. If the shoulder does start to act up, I'll need PT and we'll just see what that entails.

As far as socializing, I think it would be great. Jim, if you can't be available after the ride, I have no trouble meeting you guys on Friday. Could do a pub dinner, ice cream, just a quick coffee or beer, or whatever. And we can socialize on the ride.

I do have some work to do for confidence over 40+ miles at 14 mph! As for Mrs. Road Fan, if you guys can keep up with her, you're all much better than I am.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-14-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 05:44 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be up early sat. for the donut buffet at the registration building. LOL. I will start early and probably do the 64 mile route. I been picking up the speed lately so have to see about that. Pacelines on those roads are a tough thing to do, they are very bad. Iam open for anything after the race Oops i mean ride.Hey how about B.P. is he going?
Old 06-14-15, 08:54 PM
Road Fan

I don't know, I think he mentioned it in another thread, but I've been trying to let the leaves of grass grow at their own paces.
Old 06-14-15, 10:02 PM
Jim from Boston

...My still-tentative plans for the OHR is to incorporate it into a visit with family in the Northeastern Detroit suburbs, as I did in 2010. Like we did in 2010, I was thinking about a Friday afternoon ride and/or later dinner...

I had to breathe in a big lung of air and sigh after reading that. Now, that is one full weekend. Our downstate plans changed to the 4th so I'm out.
I hope that deep sigh was one of disappointment, not exasperation at my (slightly) long post. Usually these Fifty-Plus Rides have been at least two-day affairs, since some attendees travel a considerable distance to attend. Plans are usually pretty flexible, as suggested by the “host” (instigator) of the Ride.

I'm still up for OHR, but ... I had a crash yesterday and the beautiful silver Mondonico some of you have seen is now history…

My health came out surprisingly well: No concussion, good range of movement except for stiffish neck, no headache or amnesia, and the sore shoulder seems only to be bruised. My helmet is a total loss, however, badly fractured. It did its job.

Unless my shoulder starts a delayed stiffening, I should be fine for OHR as long as I stay on two wheels. If the shoulder does start to act up, I'll need PT and we'll just see what that entails.

As far as socializing, I think it would be great. Jim, if you can't be available after the ride, I have no trouble meeting you guys on Friday. Could do a pub dinner, ice cream, just a quick coffee or beer, or whatever. And we can socialize on the ride.

I do have some work to do for confidence over 40+ miles at 14 mph! As for Mrs. Road Fan, if you guys can keep up with her, you're all much better than I am.
Wow, RF, sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a “major” crash, especially with such damage. I won’t ask “what happened?,” but posting details for me at least gives me renewed attention to such situations on the road.

I’m not too conversant with bike models, but yours sound exotic. In 2010 I was riding a Bridgestone RB-1 which I was told is a classic, touted even by Sheldon Brown. I was hit from behind by a “distracted” driver in 2012 – no lesson there – and the RB-1 was totaled (see attached). I now ride a superb Specialized S-Works.

I will be up early sat. for the donut buffet at the registration building. LOL. I will start early and probably do the 64 mile route. I been picking up the speed lately so have to see about that. Pacelines on those roads are a tough thing to do, they are very bad. I am open for anything after the race Oops i mean ride.Hey how about B.P. is he going?
So you are a no go for Friday. Seems there is no interest in a Friday ride, so unlikely I would drive up until Saturday. Is Mrs fr1 attending? If we’d like to ride together we’ll have to agree on a distance. Maybe we could do lunch after the ride.

No way we (I) can keep up with BP, as I recall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike4 - Copy.jpg (101.0 KB, 45 views)
bike3 - Copy.jpg (98.7 KB, 49 views)
bike6 - Copy.jpg (71.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-15-15, 02:03 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to hear about your crash RoadFan, but it sounds like you are ok. and thats the main thing. No Jim Mrs.FR1 will not be able to attend. Lunch in Chelsea would be great. And you are correct on keeping up with B.P.
Old 06-15-15, 06:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm planning on coming down (weather permitting,) although The Missus may have a word about it - we leave for Oregon on the following Monday. Haven't decided which bike to use this year, my 'tall' bent or my butt-dragger.

Considering the weather so far this season, it might be a good idea to plan a lunch get-together in case of rain...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.