Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7500 multitrack

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7500 multitrack

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 11:14 PM
tonyd928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 7500 multitrack

Hey all,

I recently just scored a used Trek 7500 multitrack. It's in pretty decent shape, fun and easy to ride. Bought it at a bike shop near my house for $320 out the door.

It was outside with a red sale sign, didn't wanna pass it up if it was that good of a deal.

Does anybody know anything about these things? Mine is red in front with silver in the back, Im assuming it's the 2006 model.
I use it for a 7 mile commute daily, as well as some weekend riding, 90% on the road, 10% offroad. What's the build quality of these bikes? If this is a 2006, then at 10 years old it's still looking pretty good. Or did I just get ripped off?
Old 02-22-16, 11:31 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
For a 10 year old bike, you might have overpaid.
2006 Trek 7500 - New and Used Bike Value
Old 02-23-16, 08:44 AM
tonyd928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I'm still in the return period, I was looking at the trek 7.1. It seemed really nice but my current bike was 50 bucks cheaper. I'd like to see what everyone's thought is on the 7500 multitrack and the 7.1
Old 02-23-16, 09:34 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyd928
Yea I'm still in the return period, I was looking at the trek 7.1. It seemed really nice but my current bike was 50 bucks cheaper. I'd like to see what everyone's thought is on the 7500 multitrack and the 7.1
Your 7500 is much better than the 7.1 IMO, and bikes don't age much if not used. Entropy hits the tires, tubes, chains, and cables first - all which are replacable

Used bikes should be gauged in practical terms for a keeper. I have received very nice free bikes and I have knowingly overpaid slightly for a bike I really wanted.

OP bought the bike in a store - that might change things. At least it guarantees that you don't have to spend any money fixing it up, unlike most CL and Fleabay purchases. Is it a new unsold bike? Do you have the original guarantee? Does it include free tuneups? These might not be worth much to some but worth it for others.

That 7500 is nicer than most new bikes costing more, specifically the 9 speed Deore all-metal drivetrain. $320 is not bad for a used bike from a bike shop. If you want the used bike prices, brick and mortar bike shops are not where you will find them - hit the listings.
Old 02-24-16, 06:54 AM
tonyd928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Any other thoughts on the 7500?
Old 02-24-16, 12:55 PM
tonyd928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does this bike rate against a 7.0, or 7.1 both FX models
Old 02-24-16, 06:51 PM
MRT2

How does this bike rate against a 7.0, or 7.1 both FX models
How about telling us your impressions.
Old 02-24-16, 09:18 PM
tonyd928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
How about telling us your impressions.
Well, I was hoping someone who previously owned any of those bikes could give me some tips/advice on the matter.

I should explain I am new to biking, new as in I havent owned a bike in about 14 years and my last bike was a mongoose.
Im 27 now, living in Boston and needed something that was good for a commuter college student, driving from my apartment to my campus is about 3.7 miles one way, takes roughly a half hour to 45 minutes.

Im 5'10", 149 lbs. and I like the fit of a 17.5" frame. I tried the 7.2FX first a few weeks ago, it was a 2016 blue colored model. I loved it, it rode great, felt built well, changed gears nicely but was a little on the expensive side at $449.

Then I tried a 7.0FX which Im guessing is just 2 models below the 7.2. Same thing, seemed pretty good out of the box. The last and final bike I tried was the used Trek 7500 Multitrack. I thought it was cool that it had front shocks/springs and it felt comfortable to ride.

***Now a week later

Im starting to have doubts on my purchase.
Seeing how I know little or nothing about bikes, I feel it was a bit crazy that I spent $320 on a used bike when for $30 more I could've gotten a Trek FX 7.0.
Some things (cons) I've noticed:
** the suspension makes it harder to go uphills, living in New England this is a no go.
** Im worried that a 10 year old bike doesnt have much more of a lifespan

The pros are:
**The chain/pedals/brakes all look like theyre in decent shape!
**No rust on the frame or any hardware
**the tires look strong

The shop told me the 7500 would be comparable to an older version of the 7.5FX. Im not gonna not believe them, but again I didn't know much about bikes. When I was a kid if it had two wheels and some pedals it was a bike to me.

I just want to know if I should keep this ten year old Multitrack, and if not, which of those treks would be good for a commuter student putting about 150 miles per week? Something reliable, well built, comfortable and fast.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-16, 09:54 PM
MRT2

Well, I was hoping someone who previously owned any of those bikes could give me some tips/advice on the matter.

I should explain I am new to biking, new as in I havent owned a bike in about 14 years and my last bike was a mongoose.
Im 27 now, living in Boston and needed something that was good for a commuter college student, driving from my apartment to my campus is about 3.7 miles one way, takes roughly a half hour to 45 minutes.

Im 5'10", 149 lbs. and I like the fit of a 17.5" frame. I tried the 7.2FX first a few weeks ago, it was a 2016 blue colored model. I loved it, it rode great, felt built well, changed gears nicely but was a little on the expensive side at $449.

Then I tried a 7.0FX which Im guessing is just 2 models below the 7.2. Same thing, seemed pretty good out of the box. The last and final bike I tried was the used Trek 7500 Multitrack. I thought it was cool that it had front shocks/springs and it felt comfortable to ride.

***Now a week later

Seeing how I know little or nothing about bikes, I feel it was a bit crazy that I spent $320 on a used bike when for $30 more I could've gotten a Trek FX 7.0.
** the suspension makes it harder to go uphills, living in New England this is a no go.

The pros are:
**the tires look strong

The shop told me the 7500 would be comparable to an older version of the 7.5FX. Im not gonna not believe them, but again I didn't know much about bikes. When I was a kid if it had two wheels and some pedals it was a bike to me.

I just want to know if I should keep this ten year old Multitrack, and if not, which of those treks would be good for a commuter student putting about 150 miles per week? Something reliable, well built, comfortable and fast.

Thanks!
Any reason you fixated on Trek? Nothing wrong with Trek, but there are other choices. giant, Cannondale, Jamis, Surly, Specialized, Raleigh, Fuji, Bianchi, etc, etc. Trek is OK, sort of the Toyota or Ford of bikes. Reliable but a bit bland.

A couple of other points. The older 7500 is not the equivalent of the current 7.5 FX. It is much heavier with a energy sucking suspension fork. If you decide to keep it, maybe consider replacing it, as those older forks were nothing special.

Re: bike size. At 5'10", you might want to consider a bit larger bike than the 17.5" frame. I am 5'8" and rode an 18" frame for years before realizing it was actually too small.

If you really want a new Trek, the fx 7.2 is about as low in the Trek lineup as I would personally go, especially if you plan to use it every day. The 7.1 and 7.0 are alright, but really not a whole lot better than department store bikes.
Old 02-24-16, 11:43 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

***Now a week later

The pros are:
**the tires look strong

Thanks!
The 7x00 line was replaced by the 7.x fx and diversified into further options, like the DS line. in terms of lineage, the old 7500 is directly related to the 7.5FX, but there are differences of course.

Yes, cheap suspension sucks. But that biopacing can be reduced by smooth pedaling. If youre bobbing on a road while seated you got some technique to sort out. Better yet, put a rigid fork on it

There is nothing on that bike that is outdated. V brakes still work just as good as they used to; while disk brakes are nice V brakes were a bigger game changer than disks were, and cheap suspension is just as bad now as it was back then. Disk brakes existed when that bike came out and new bikes are
still being made with V brakes. 9 speed quality parts are still available. 10 years isnt old for a bike. My "new" MTB is ten years old.

If there's anything outdated, it would be the wheels: they are a product of a time when T used Rolf wheels and their paired spoke technology trickled down. The upside is that you have a cassette which can run any modern drivetrain*, the downside is that the proprietary spoke pattern is a bummer if you need to eventually replace rims or hubs. Proprietary parts are not the best idea for long term keepers.

Regarding sizing, youre right at the limit for 17" so you could stay there for a nimble ride. Im 5-10 and use 17" on compact.
Old 02-25-16, 04:27 PM
tonyd928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
The 7x00 line was replaced by the 7.x fx and diversified into further options, like the DS line. in terms of lineage, the old 7500 is directly related to the 7.5FX, but there are differences of course.

Yes, cheap suspension sucks. But that biopacing can be reduced by smooth pedaling. If youre bobbing on a road while seated you got some technique to sort out. Better yet, put a rigid fork on it

There is nothing on that bike that is outdated. V brakes still work just as good as they used to; while disk brakes are nice V brakes were a bigger game changer than disks were, and cheap suspension is just as bad now as it was back then. Disk brakes existed when that bike came out and new bikes are
still being made with V brakes. 9 speed quality parts are still available. 10 years isnt old for a bike. My "new" MTB is ten years old.

If there's anything outdated, it would be the wheels: they are a product of a time when T used Rolf wheels and their paired spoke technology trickled down. The upside is that you have a cassette which can run any modern drivetrain*, the downside is that the proprietary spoke pattern is a bummer if you need to eventually replace rims or hubs. Proprietary parts are not the best idea for long term keepers.

Regarding sizing, youre right at the limit for 17" so you could stay there for a nimble ride. Im 5-10 and use 17" on compact.
I just figured since this thing was so rare, that maybe people just didn't like it or something. It's hard to find any information about this particular bike on the web aside from the trek archives:

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2...k/7500/details

which doesn't really help me in terms of how users rated the bike.
Old 02-25-16, 05:04 PM
DorkDisk

I just figured since this thing was so rare, that maybe people just didn't like it or something. It's hard to find any information about this particular bike on the web aside from the trek archives:

2006 7500 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

which doesn't really help me in terms of how users rated the bike.
That bike is the opposite of rare.

There is really nothing remarkable about that bike to make someone write about it. Al frames don't have as much a following. For instance, lots of people still seek the 7x0 series which came before the 7x00 series because it was made of steel. You can find lots of people riding those Al 7x00 series in this forum, check the "Poast your..." threads

Anyways, big brands don't make junk and everything about that bike is a known quantity. What's your concern?
Old 02-25-16, 06:56 PM
tonyd928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help!
Gonna try riding pretty hard the next few days.

Here's a nice pic of the bike!

Attached Images
Old 02-25-18, 09:03 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a nice pic of the bike!

Nice looking bike Tony! I had a '12 7300 for a few years and it served me well. Not a single issue.
Old 02-26-18, 10:49 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Not a bad bike for the money, but it might be worth complaining to the LBS about the "bobbing fork" - saying it is terrible!

Ask if they would consider swapping a correct non suspended fork in, to replace it! (This would be cheaper for them, than replacing or even rebuilding that old suspension fork)

Never hurts to ask! Plus,, you would like it a LOT better!
Old 02-27-18, 08:13 PM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
For a 10 year old bike, you might have overpaid.
2006 Trek 7500 - New and Used Bike Value
Those bicycle blue book values are always lower than what used bikes sell for, at least in my area.
Old 02-28-18, 09:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
welcome to bikeforums. lots of ppl from the area here

I had a bike w front shocks once & I wound up tightening them cuz it would dip in front when I stopped. liked that bike a lot. I see you have paired spokes. I wound up torturing mine w a similar spoke setup & had to have it repaired & some spokes replaced. eventually got a stronger wheel w 32 conventional spokes. anyway, good luck!
Old 02-28-18, 10:10 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
This thread is 2 years old.
Old 12-07-18, 09:36 PM
Plainsdriftr65

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaybirdAZ
Hi, Tony! I know I am very late to this game, but I am "the one" you've been looking for. Not sure if you still have this beauty, but if you do, you've got a sweet bike. I bought my 7500 new in 1999: Mine was white with gold lettering, amazing suspension seat post, but NOT a suspension fork (as someone else said). Had it for 15 years until it was stolen out of my garage....very sad day. I rode everywhere on that bike....ocean trails, forest trails, city, river beds, commuting to school and work, you name it. Loved it. Since this was the last year TREK made their bikes in the US, you got a great deal. NO ONE has these bikes anymore...I know...I've looked. So, hopefully you didn't listen to detractors and you kept it.

Lately, I've decided to try and find a replacement, but the new TREKs are disappointing to say the least, and the value aspect is sad. But I have found new hope through Haro with the Bridgeport ST (disc brakes, lock out 65mm fork, beautiful symmetry, but no suspension post) and also have discovered an interesting "new" development with the Haro/Del Sol LXI 7.2 (a lot of bike for the money and unusual looks!). Feel free to ask me anything you'd like about the TREK 7500.
Hi JaybirdAZ - I realize your post was from Feb. hope you are still connected to this forum.
My husband passed away in August and I've decided to sell his bike. It hasn't been ridden for 3 years
and never was ridden extensively.
If you could give me any suggestions, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Last edited by Plainsdriftr65; 12-07-18 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 02:48 PM
jeffreyhsi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaybirdAZ
Hi, Tony! I know I am very late to this game, but I am "the one" you've been looking for. Not sure if you still have this beauty, but if you do, you've got a sweet bike. I bought my 7500 new in 1999: Mine was white with gold lettering, amazing suspension seat post, but NOT a suspension fork (as someone else said). Had it for 15 years until it was stolen out of my garage....very sad day. I rode everywhere on that bike....ocean trails, forest trails, city, river beds, commuting to school and work, you name it. Loved it. Since this was the last year TREK made their bikes in the US, you got a great deal. NO ONE has these bikes anymore...I know...I've looked. So, hopefully you didn't listen to detractors and you kept it.

Lately, I've decided to try and find a replacement, but the new TREKs are disappointing to say the least, and the value aspect is sad. But I have found new hope through Haro with the Bridgeport ST (disc brakes, lock out 65mm fork, beautiful symmetry, but no suspension post) and also have discovered an interesting "new" development with the Haro/Del Sol LXI 7.2 (a lot of bike for the money and unusual looks!). Feel free to ask me anything you'd like about the TREK 7500.
I just came across this post as I was looking up info about the 1999 Trek 7500. I picked one up cheap on good condition off Craigslist. White with gold lettering, just like you said. Lol
Old 03-09-20, 05:38 PM
ttodd65

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

I know this is an old thread - just hoping to get some advice on a bike that is for sale. It's listed as a Trek 7500 MultiTrack. It's the Sienna Red Color. Not sure how it works but I found this website that lists colors and models
it's vintage-trek (dot com)/model_numbers1.htm

The only year I see listed for that color is 05
05, sienna red/brushed aluminum
So does this mean that in 05 they only made this in that color? Doesn't sound right

Anyway - not sure if I'm allowed to list the actual C-List link but description says

Trek 7500 multiTrack hybrid bicycle with 22.5” aluminum frame; Shimano Deore derailler; grip shifters; 24 speed; Bontrager wheels;700x38c tires; Bontrager comfort leather seat; bike computer; shock on seat post; kickstand; used but works well with no repairs required

They are asking $160.

I haven't really biked in the last 20 years. Looking to get into it as there are a lot of scenic trails near where I live. Given that I intend to ride on paved trails at a leisurely pace and I am 6-1 235#, is this a good bike at a good price? Can I assume from that link that this is a 2005 model bike?

Thanks in advance!