Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are all canti brakes the same?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-21-16, 08:55 AM
OrangeBike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up a bike with cantilever brakes, a first for me.

Looking to upgrade to a nice set and I've noticed that outside of the arm geometry/angle and straddle wires, there's nothing mentioned about the size.

Do all canti's have the same relationship to boss/pivot, pad location, etc? Or am I missing something? Like when side or centerpulls talk about reach...
Old 06-21-16, 09:26 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 196 Posts
Yep, the size and positioning of cantilever studs are standardized - you can swap in whatever cantis you like and they will work. There are differences in shapes, angles, pad style, and there are slight differences in the adjustment procedure between the different kinds of cantilevers, but they all use the same studs.

If you want a recommendation for modern, new canti's, I like the Tektro CR720's: they work well, are relatively easy to setup, look good, affordable, and they come with nice pad holders that use standard road pads and are easily adjusted.
Old 06-21-16, 09:34 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I will second the plug for Tektro 720s. Very nice brakes for the coin.
Old 06-21-16, 09:50 AM
OrangeBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Yep, the size and positioning of cantilever studs are standardized - you can swap in whatever cantis you like and they will work. There are differences in shapes, angles, pad style, and there are slight differences in the adjustment procedure between the different kinds of cantilevers, but they all use the same studs.

If you want a recommendation for modern, new canti's, I like the Tektro CR720's: they work well, are relatively easy to setup, look good, affordable, and they come with nice pad holders that use standard road pads and are easily adjusted.
Excellent, thank you.
Old 06-21-16, 09:53 AM
OrangeBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
I will second the plug for Tektro 720s. Very nice brakes for the coin.
I was looking at those, neat looking. Those with a set of Kool Stops are tempting...
Old 06-21-16, 09:58 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by OrangeBike
I was looking at those, neat looking. Those with a set of Kool Stops are tempting...
They come with pads, so why switch?
Old 06-21-16, 09:59 AM
clasher

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Yep, the size and positioning of cantilever studs are standardized - you can swap in whatever cantis you like and they will work.
This isn't the whole story. The spacing between the posts has changed. Touring bikes from the 80s tend to have the studs spaced 65mm or so while mountain bikes and modern hybrids, cx and touring bikes seem to be in the 80+mm area. For example on a bianchi randonneur i had the only brakes that would work were vintage dia-compe becuase the posts were placed for 27" wheels. Modern cantis also didn't work on miyata 1000 because the posts were too close together. The shimano altus cantis are the only modern brakes I can think of that would work.

I highly recommend measuring your spacing on the studs before buying new brakes if the bike is from the 80s.
Old 06-21-16, 10:18 AM
OrangeBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
This isn't the whole story. The spacing between the posts has changed. Touring bikes from the 80s tend to have the studs spaced 65mm or so while mountain bikes and modern hybrids, cx and touring bikes seem to be in the 80+mm area. For example on a bianchi randonneur i had the only brakes that would work were vintage dia-compe becuase the posts were placed for 27" wheels. Modern cantis also didn't work on miyata 1000 because the posts were too close together. The shimano altus cantis are the only modern brakes I can think of that would work.

I highly recommend measuring your spacing on the studs before buying new brakes if the bike is from the 80s.
It's a 90's Schwinn Crisscross. CX-ish bike with 700 wheels.
Old 06-21-16, 11:51 AM
clasher

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
It probably doesn't suffer from close spacing, I had a 90s miyata tricross that was able to take modern cantis no problem. Easy enough to double check with a ruler if the wheel is off.
Old 06-21-16, 06:48 PM
OrangeBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It probably doesn't suffer from close spacing, I had a 90s miyata tricross that was able to take modern cantis no problem. Easy enough to double check with a ruler if the wheel is off.
I measured, the posts are 65 in front and 80 in the rear.
Old 06-21-16, 07:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Rim width factors into canti performance too. The typically wide Araya mtn rims from the 80's don't play well with modern canti's. Similar problem as the narrow post placement.
Old 06-21-16, 07:34 PM
OrangeBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Rim width factors into canti performance too. The typically wide Araya mtn rims from the 80's don't play well with modern canti's. Similar problem as the narrow post placement.
Rims are 23mm.

I lied, front bosses are 70mm.

Dia Competition XCM on there now.
Old 06-22-16, 03:31 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
As I continue to replace everything on the bike that must have gone around the planet two or three times...

...I found that the Dia Compe cantilever brakes were badly worn. Not the pads, but the bushings that fit the posts. They were incredibly sloppy fitting. So...

Having only one set of cantilevers on hand, an old set of Weinmanns, I tried a swap. No problem. The Weinmanns fitted just perfectly. I can, however, have a set of Dia Compes off of a couple of scrap bicycles at B4H. I must ask to do so and, these days, I always give a nice donation for anything that I get.

I plan to do some picture taking today. I will snap a shot or two of this fix.
Old 06-22-16, 07:20 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts

Exactly!

The difference between different brakes is the difference in being able to make them work or not. This is especially evident when going from 27" to 700c.

FWIW- the front bosses on my Voyageur SP Are spaced at 50mm. For real.
Old 06-22-16, 08:47 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
I agree with the points @clasher points out.

In addition, the brakes themselves have a different relationship between the mounts, the pads and the frame. Clearance for the frame varies by brake manufacturer and model. With pads attached, some brakes will clear the frame/fork easily. Others will not. As far as I know, there is no reporting of this measurement.
Old 06-22-16, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Rims are 23mm.

I lied, front bosses are 70mm.

Dia Competition XCM on there now.
Are the XCMaster cantis not working well? I have them(and XCExpert) on 2 bikes that I ride multiple times a week and they perform great. New pads, of course.
Old 06-22-16, 10:21 AM
OrangeBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Are the XCMaster cantis not working well? I have them(and XCExpert) on 2 bikes that I ride multiple times a week and they perform great. New pads, of course.
Don't know, haven't ridden the bike yet.

I don't like them, they're ugly (no offense), looking to spruce it up.
Old 06-22-16, 01:22 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Don't know, haven't ridden the bike yet.

I don't like them, they're ugly (no offense), looking to spruce it up.
The XCM brakes are the standard DiaCompe low profile design that Shimano copied.

I think they're pretty spiffy looking when they're cleaned up- but then again, the XC Pro cantis are my favorite brake.

If you're lucky, the Tektro 720 will work on there, unless you want to hunt down some XC Pros...