Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Saddle Bag?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Saddle Bag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 02:06 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Sold out. Not available on Amazon.
Anyplace else? I like it.
Old 01-26-17, 02:25 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy

I bought one from Silca, and another from alwaysriding.co.uk.

They are very hard to find right now. But well worth the effort if you can.
Old 01-26-17, 02:48 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some stylish bags that were aero and cool looking but when all was said and done, I went with this type of bag from Jandd.

Cool looking seat packs were nice but as a century rider, I needed enough space to carry 2 tubes, few tools, some drink mix and a bar. I can over stuff this kind of a bag but not the cool looking smaller hard case types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (17.1 KB, 364 views)
Old 01-26-17, 02:58 PM
vze23c3q

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You must be in the minimalist camp for this option, but it is a pretty clever solution for the spare tube and tools:
Attached Images
SWAT.jpg (96.8 KB, 370 views)
Old 01-26-17, 06:39 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
A boa?! I wish I could tell this bag to "not be such a roadie".

Also, I'd probably buy it if it was in stock.

Old 01-26-17, 10:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Don't the bags that only attach to the saddle rails rock back and forth and move around?

Mine have additional velcro to attach to the seatpost. I find that it holds them in place better so that they don't shift around.

No?

-Tim-
Old 01-26-17, 11:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I can't imagine the flopping about of the bags that just hang by two loops. My Axiom bag was the all-velcro-straps type (3 straps total,) and even that moved around too much for me. First, the top strap got replaced with a quick-release salvaged from a ripped Lezyne bag, then the seatpost straps got replaced with a bolt-on contraption I fashioned out of hardware and a reflector mount. If I'm going to have to take the stupid bag with me everywhere, I'm gonna make damn sure it's not making a ruckus.

...I don't really mean it's stupid. I can fit tons of stuff in my Axion Fondo H2O. The water bottle pouch is only in use during long summer rides, so it carries cargo the rest of the time-- Things I've fit in the water bottle carrier, on different occasions:

-numerous pairs of gloves
-jackets and vests
-five inner tubes
-two 700x28 folding tires
-a bunch of GoPro accessories
-two beef burritos

Honestly, if all I were carrying was a lever, CO2, and a tube, I wouldn't be mounting a bag at all.
Old 01-27-17, 12:16 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Don't the bags that only attach to the saddle rails rock back and forth and move around?
Those bags are much smaller and cinch tightly against the seatpost. When packed full (always), there's simply no way for them to wobble.
Old 01-27-17, 07:25 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The best saddle bag is the one that can not be seen.
Old 01-27-17, 07:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
FYI: to anyone interested in the Cyckit Aeroclam design and features but has been wanting more capacity, Cyckit sent an email a couple of weeks ago saying they are soon releasing an expanded capacity lower shell which can easily replace the standard shell on all models.

This is particularly neat since it allows quick switching to more or less capacity as the ride calls for.

I don't remember when ETA was, so contact Cyckit on that.
Old 01-27-17, 10:30 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mine have additional velcro to attach to the seatpost. I find that it holds them in place better so that they don't shift around.

No?

-Tim-
No, as someone stated, they are cinched pretty tight.
My current one is the Arundel Uno:

But I need something that holds just a little more and is basically the same idea.
I have a Serfas bag that is fabulous, with straps and a 3rd velcro around the seatpost, but it looks doofy becaue of it's size.

The absolute worst thing is seeing people out there are super fabulous bikes but with giant saddlebags hanging loosely off the back, as you said, flopping about, like a giant ballsack.
Old 01-27-17, 11:27 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If given the choice-- and sometimes there isn't one, for example if you want a zebra print bag-- I will always prefer a clam style opening bag to an end-loader for the simpler packing and unpacking.

I also find the quick release Roller Mount Scicon uses to be a great ease-of-use item, which makes removing the bag (to take into a store/cafe, or just to access the stuff in it easier) a simple, quick task. No threading velco straps through seat rails, or fiddling around looking for the end of the strap to pull it free; just twist and go.

As a bonus, the Scicon Roller Mount integrates tire levers into the bag itself, making for one less thing to figure into the pack scheme. Convenient and tidy.

In the pic below, of the Scicon Elan Roller, you can see the ends of one tire lever where it slides under the mount on the bag. The other lever is directly below it, in a sleeve inside the bag.

Over the years, I have literally tried dozens of saddle bags. The SciCon is my absolute favorite for two reasons: 1. no risk of torn bib shorts rubbing against Velcro bag straps, and 2. with 4 bikes, it is easier to move the bag from one bike to the other using the roller mount system.

The only drawback is that the point where the mount platform attaches to the bag itself (not the roller that goes under the saddle, but the platform on the bag itself) is not sufficiently sturdy and it can detach from the bag. A Dremel tool and some zip ties can quickly fix the problem.
Old 01-27-17, 11:38 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Contains tubular tire, pump, tools incl. chain tool & pliers,

1st aid, tape, knife, patch kit, paper & pencil, zip ties, valve core, valve ext, quick link, etc..

500g
Attached Images
IMG_1888.jpg (99.8 KB, 299 views)
Old 01-27-17, 12:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Contains tubular tire, pump, tools incl. chain tool & pliers,

1st aid, tape, knife, patch kit, paper & pencil, zip ties, valve core, valve ext, quick link, etc..

500g
Can't see it. Attachments are now tiny sized.
Old 01-27-17, 12:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Buying a bag that needs to be modified with a dremel and reinforced with zip ties in order for it to work properly is a non starter for me.

I'd have thrown the thing in the garbage or returned it long before it got to that point.

-Tim-
Old 01-27-17, 01:31 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Here's my peeve- the little tube boxes don't fit the bags. Yeah, you can take 'em out, but I use the box to keep the tube from getting beat up while it's waiting 6 months for a flat to happen.
most peeps put the tubes in a ziplock bag and, within the seat pack, point the sharp bits of your tools in the opposite direction of the tube. not a guarantee but better than nothing.
Old 01-27-17, 01:32 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I have a timbuk2 seatpack on my hybrid and a bontrager elite (medium) bag on my road bike.

Bontrager Elite Medium Seat Pack | Trek Bikes
Old 01-27-17, 01:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Ortlieb Large:

These are very common in the PNW where we tend to do long rides in variable conditions. Saturday's 71 mile SIR ride will start at 35° and finish at 55°. Overflow from jersey pockets will go in this bag which will already have extra food, wallet, extra gloves, wind vest, 2 tubes, patch kit, boot kit, spare tire, and the usual small tools. This bag is waterproof, very durable, and clips easily from bike to bike.

Our tandem carries 3 bags: this bag, a small Co-Motion bag under the stoker stem, and a FuelBox on the captain's top tube.
Old 01-27-17, 01:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
most peeps put the tubes in a ziplock bag and, within the seat pack, point the sharp bits of your tools in the opposite direction of the tube. not a guarantee but better than nothing.
Also test the valves to be sure they can be opened by hand and leave the valve caps on. Never had a tube damaged in the bag.
Old 01-27-17, 02:21 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I dust my tubes in baby powder, wrap them in saran wrap, and write the size on the plastic wrap with a sharpie.
Old 01-27-17, 02:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Buying a bag that needs to be modified with a dremel and reinforced with zip ties in order for it to work properly is a non starter for me.

I'd have thrown the thing in the garbage or returned it long before it got to that point.

-Tim-
I hear you, but as a counterpoint, I've not experienced that problem with either of the two SciCon bags with Roller mount. I've even been in two multibike crashes with one of them, the second of which broke the mount at the saddle, not the bag.

I'd just caution against making generalizations about SciCon based on one user's experience. Perhaps they had an earlier version than the current Roller 2.1, who knows?
Old 01-27-17, 02:51 PM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Competitive Cyclist has it on their website. I have my eye on it but I'm waiting for some reviews to come in before I chuck $50 on a new saddle bag.
Old 01-27-17, 03:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by howheels
Competitive Cyclist has it on their website. I have my eye on it but I'm waiting for some reviews to come in before I chuck $50 on a new saddle bag.
To me, but not having tried it.. it looks like a lot of this bag's bulk is made up of the individual pockets and a lot of excess material. For similar size (by appearance), my Arundel dual holds a good amount more than shown here, including a 2nd tube, spoke wrench, patch kit and tire boots, tire levers, and some nitrile gloves. Also not clear if you can get anything out of this bag without removing it from the bike first?

Old 01-27-17, 03:31 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howheels

I don't see it available at Competitive.

I'd recommend it as a great minimalist bag. I have 2 tubes (superlights), one lever, patches, small multi-tool, one tire boot, and a quick link in mine. And it's all in there pretty tight. If you use heavier tubes, you're only going to get one of them in there. If you need more than this in your bag, this is not the right one for you.

The waxed canvas material should be really durable. The boa closure system has a padded wrap to protect the saddle rails from the wire (and vice-versa), and the system holds the bag really tight to the saddle which eliminates any movement. The whole package is small, which is great for visual aesthetics as well as eliminating any leg-rubbing issues.

I have 2 of them, and am very happy with the product quality and design.
Old 01-27-17, 03:33 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
To me, but not having tried it.. it looks like a lot of this bag's bulk is made up of the individual pockets and a lot of excess material. For similar size (by appearance), my Arundel dual holds a good amount more than shown here, including a 2nd tube, spoke wrench, patch kit and tire boots, tire levers, and some nitrile gloves. Also not clear if you can get anything out of this bag without removing it from the bike first?

Bag has to be removed from the bike to access contents.

I liked my Arundel Dual, except it would always slip out of the velcro strap that was supposed to secure it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.