Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which BF Member's fleet/collection/stable do you covet?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which BF Member's fleet/collection/stable do you covet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 07:23 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,709 Times in 2,613 Posts
I’ve ridden @gugie’s bikes, and they are real.
Old 01-09-18, 08:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I had not heard this. I hope he is OK.
I'm OK...appreciate the concern. Going through some relationship status changes/living situation changes that are finally pushing me to do what I should have done a while ago. I'm no happier owning 40 bikes than I was owning 4...

There's a level of diminishing returns to this...it's like an addiction. Early on you hit a high, like the Bauer Merckx...and you start chasing rarer stuff. But after a while, like BB said, the thrill is gone. You're excited for a day or two...you have too many bikes to enjoy them...and then it's just STUFF. The bikes I feel a connection with are the ones I ride most often...and those are the ones I'm keeping.

I'd like tobe down to 4 and the tandems. 10 and the tandems is the more immediate goal.

I want this...honestly. I could put them in storage with no problem. I don't want this much STUFF anymore...it owns me, not the other way around. I used to collect vinyl years ago...had thousands of records...I hit my point and was just DONE. Got rid of almost all of it. It didn't mean I stopped listening to music. I've hit my point. It's not desperate, my hand isn't forced...I want this and am making some different decisions.

If I ever "collect" something again, it's going to be smaller! Maybe watches.

Thanks to everyone on the thread.

This is a great community...I'm not leaving it. Just down sizing. I love bikes and biking...and that's actually part of why I'm doing this.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 01-09-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 08:22 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've ridden Neal's bikes, and they are not only real, but plentiful.

Heck, they're real plentiful.
Old 01-09-18, 08:43 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm OK...appreciate the concern. Going through some relationship status changes/living situation changes that are finally pushing me to do what I should have done a while ago. I'm no happier owning 40 bikes than I was owning 4...

There's a level of diminishing returns to this...it's like an addiction. Early on you hit a high, like the Bauer Merckx...and you start chasing rarer stuff. But after a while, like BB said, the thrill is gone. You're excited for a day or two...you have too many bikes to enjoy them...and then it's just STUFF. The bikes I feel a connection with are the ones I ride most often...and those are the ones I'm keeping.

I'd like tobe down to 4 and the tandems. 10 and the tandems is the more immediate goal.

I want this...honestly. I could put them in storage with no problem. I don't want this much STUFF anymore...it owns me, not the other way around. I used to collect vinyl years ago...had thousands of records...I hit my point and was just DONE. Got rid of almost all of it. It didn't mean I stopped listening to music. I've hit my point. It's not desperate, my hand isn't forced...I want this and am making some different decisions.

If I ever "collect" something again, it's going to be smaller! Maybe watches.

Thanks to everyone on the thread.

This is a great community...I'm not leaving it. Just down sizing. I love bikes and biking...and that's actually part of why I'm doing this.
We get to a certain point in our Lives were we realize "material things" are really not that important. Sometime Life just takes over. And individual Happiness is the most important thing. Best of Luck.
Old 01-09-18, 08:56 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Thanks

This is a weird, challenging time...but there's also opportunity to try and pursue some things I really wanted. It's made me really reassess myself and my priorities...and I can honestly say...as tough and depressing as it can be at times...I've never felt better in the important ways.

So many members of this community reached out to me and made a difference. I appreciate you all.

Most of all...CDM. Those of us who know him understand his heart, his compassion and his depth. A more genuine, caring person you will not find. I am lucky to have all of you in my lives.
There you go the healing has already started. In Time you may find this is the best thing that ever happened to
you.
Old 01-09-18, 08:56 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

BF goofed...reposting. (was trying to edit lives to life, and it got strange)

Thanks

This is a weird, challenging time...but there's also opportunity to try and pursue some things I really wanted. It's made me really reassess myself and my priorities...and I can honestly say...as tough and depressing as it can be at times...I've never felt better in the important ways.

So many members of this community reached out to me and made a difference. I appreciate you all.

Most of all...CDM. Those of us who know him understand his heart, his compassion and his depth. A more genuine, caring person you will not find. I am lucky to have all of you in my life.

Anyway...I'm not too into oversharing on line, these posts aside. I do want folks to know it's OK, and probably less bad than some assumed. In the words of Babylon 5 - "(I'm) alive, the rest is negotiable."

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 01-09-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 09:21 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 103 Posts
I had the opportunity of meeting CdM at the Westminster bike swap last year. Super guy, and like an encyclopedia when it comes to knowledge of vintage bikes.

Aaron, I went thru something similar about 20 years ago. It isn't easy. In many ways it's like a new beginning, at least, that's how I viewed it.

Best,

Kurt

BF goofed...reposting. (was trying to edit lives to life, and it got strange)

Thanks

Most of all...CDM. Those of us who know him understand his heart, his compassion and his depth. A more genuine, caring person you will not find. I am lucky to have all of you in my life.

Anyway...I'm not too into oversharing on line, these posts aside. I do want folks to know it's OK, and probably less bad than some assumed. In the words of Babylon 5 - "(I'm) alive, the rest is negotiable."
Old 01-09-18, 09:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by satbuilder
I had the opportunity of meeting CdM at the Westminster bike swap last year. Super guy, and like an encyclopedia when it comes to knowledge of vintage bikes.

Aaron, I went thru something similar about 20 years ago. It isn't easy. In many ways it's like a new beginning, at least, that's how I viewed it.

Best,

Kurt
You can get buried in grief...feeling sorry for yourself...or you can look at what has transpired...take away the learning opportunities...grow the positives...and do better. The first is easier; I prefer the second option.
Old 01-09-18, 09:55 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-09-18, 09:58 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

As always- best wishes @KonAaron Snake

As far as who's bike to steal...

I'll say @Flog00's Tomii.

"Hey Scott- look over there! It's the Goodwrench Blimp!!!"

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-09-18, 10:11 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Not a BF member but a very good friend of mine. This is only a 1/3 of what he has.

Holy cow. I need to be organized, that would drive me crazy. Not that they are not organized some, I am just a little OCD.

I have the bikes I want although who wouldn't want some of the members bikes here. Too many to name but those are theirs and I associate them that way.

My tastes are for many bikes but I also have a number I will not exceed. Its just enough for my available space and to cover the types I want. If I get another, something leaves. Fortunately I am in a great market that allowed me to get mostly what I want initially based on my taste and most moved ones were parts buys. I have the obvious high end bikes and then my preferred oddities or riders with some that remind me of the past. I would not turn down something amazing or different at the right price but also am quite content.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 01-09-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 10:56 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Holy cow. I need to be organized, that would drive me crazy. Not that they are not organized some, I am just a little OCD.

I have the bikes I want although who wouldn't want some of the members bikes here. Too many to name but those are theirs and I associate them that way.

My tastes are for many bikes but I also have a number I will not exceed. Its just enough for my available space and to cover the types I want. If I get another, something leaves. Fortunately I am in a great market that allowed me to get mostly what I want initially based on my taste and most moved ones were parts buys. I have the obvious high end bikes and then my preferred oddities or riders with some that remind me of the past. I would not turn down something amazing or different at the right price but also am quite content.
His good bikes are displayed on the walls, and all his parts are bagged, boxed and labeled. But it's totally insane of all he owns. He and his wife told me I'm the caretaker of his collection if anything happens to him. He owns around 300 lower end steel road bikes and around 100 top end bikes. And more parts and frames to build another 100 bikes.
Old 01-09-18, 11:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don't think I covet anyone's bikes. But maybe that's not true. I don't know. Maybe I look at some and say, "Ooh, I'd like that," but the feeling doesn't last. I realized a couple of years ago that I don't need any more bikes. Opportunities to acquire more have come, and it has not been hard to resist. I haven't acquired any more.

I saw Aaron's Specialized Diverge, and I thought I would like that. But it's currently in production, so there's nothing rare about it. Now I'm planning to rebuild my 1971 Raleigh Super Course. It's already my gravel bike, and with its new drivetrain, it will be just about as good as modern all-road bikes or whatever you call them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-18, 11:46 AM
Flog00

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
As always- best wishes @KonAaron Snake

As far as who's bike to steal...

I'll say @Flog00's Tomii.

"Hey Scott- look over there! It's the Goodwrench Blimp!!!"
If you wanted to borrow it for a tour I'd send it to you, no kidding.
And that would be a short list brother.
Old 01-09-18, 11:53 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I covent the next good deal on Craigslist.
Old 01-09-18, 01:24 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by Flog00
If you wanted to borrow it for a tour I'd send it to you, no kidding.
And that would be a short list brother.
Thank you-

When I get past this stretch of stuff going on - I need to throw the bike in the car and go for a 6hr drive.

"Be the person Flog00 thinks you are!"

Old 01-09-18, 06:54 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by toavii
Thanks. Probably helps when two of my 5 keepers are ones you adored right? Ha
So glad you have them. They'll be treated well and thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm riding dirt more and more.

My new Yeti sb5+ frameset showed today.

Can't wait to try a 27.5 (will fit 2.8's!) this year.

Specially one with this much travel.

The new tech in these translates to fun on trails. Moab and Fruita this summer and Death Valley over our next winter break.

Last edited by gomango; 01-09-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 01:24 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
The collections I most admire, and could actually fit/ride are @pcb’s, @northbend’s, @gugie’s (may be a trifle small for me) and @RiddleOfSteel’s. The last stable I get to see in person, and we’ve been known to get together for a temporary bike swap/ride session. One great aspect of gugie’s, pcb’s and northbend’s bikes is that they are set up like my own as sport touring bikes that get used for long rides, although I doubt that I could use pcb’s latest 1xn setups very effectively. What I really covet the most is northbend’s motor, and what he accomplishes with it!

As others have stated more eloquently, all the bikes that show up in this forum are worthy of the pride bestowed by their owners, and the unique ways that they are enjoyed.

I find that I appreciate what others see and love about their bikes, but when I consider my own very modest pair, and think realistically about how I use them and what they represent to me, I am extremely satisfied.
Old 01-10-18, 08:18 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by noglider
I don't think I covet anyone's bikes. But maybe that's not true. I don't know. Maybe I look at some and say, "Ooh, I'd like that," but the feeling doesn't last. I realized a couple of years ago that I don't need any more bikes. Opportunities to acquire more have come, and it has not been hard to resist. I haven't acquired any more.

I saw Aaron's Specialized Diverge, and I thought I would like that. But it's currently in production, so there's nothing rare about it. Now I'm planning to rebuild my 1971 Raleigh Super Course. It's already my gravel bike, and with its new drivetrain, it will be just about as good as modern all-road bikes or whatever you call them.
I'm not fond of it actually...there's nothing about it that, on balance, I really like more than some other bikes that I have. I outright dislike Shimano's shifting, I think the more modern headset and BB feel a bit wonky...it just feels...cheap...compared to my more traditional bikes. I like it a bit more than my other bikes in real mud and rougher terrain, but it's significantly less than on more packed gravel and pavement. It also really isn't terribly agile and I don't trust it at any real speed. Overall...I'd rather ride the Cinelli or Pete Matthews a but more gingerly when it gets rougher and enjoy it more all of the other times.

I'll tell you...that Pete Matthews...now that's a bike. It's not one of the ones people look at when they check out my fleet, but I think they might if they rode it. It's what I wanted the Raleigh International to be.

The disc brakes on the diverge are nice (when they're not squealing).

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 01-10-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 08:52 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder

Best,

Kurt
I think that was when I bought a Raleigh Team frame from you... via the CR list. It's still one of my best and favorite bikes!

So, for anyone thinking about thinning the herd, think of it as a chance to simplify your life as well as a chance to make someone else very happy!

Steve in Peoria
(with a relatively small stable, and just love looking at other people's bikes)
Old 01-10-18, 09:05 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I am more than delighted with what I have, both to ride and to stare at. I have been very fortunate to be able to track down frames (in my size) that I lusted after early in my cycling days, and even more fortunate that they have turned out to be great fun to own and ride - they truly are the gift that keeps on giving.

But while I have loved seeing so many gorgeous and fun bikes on Bike Forums and elsewhere (you really have to go to an Eroica event - eye candy everywhere), I can honestly say I have not coveted them, not even the Confentes I've seen the past two years at Paso Robles. Covet the chance to see more of them in person, yes; covet owning them, no. Many of the usual suspects for the "I wish I could see them in person" covet have already been listed.

And since my bikes and I are "freakishly large" (to quote bigbossman), I couldn't make use of most of the bikes folks here have anyway.
Old 01-10-18, 09:52 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 103 Posts
Hey Steve,

Glad you're getting lots of enjoyment out of her. Cleaned up really nice!

Finances at the time weren't good as my wife couldn't work any longer due to chronic spinal issues which are still ongoing. However the finances have worked themselves out and I went back to my old habits...trying to keep the herd under 10.

What I had mentioned to Aaron was another life altering event that had happened in 1999. Life's full of surprises!

Kurt

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I think that was when I bought a Raleigh Team frame from you... via the CR list. It's still one of my best and favorite bikes!

So, for anyone thinking about thinning the herd, think of it as a chance to simplify your life as well as a chance to make someone else very happy!

Steve in Peoria
(with a relatively small stable, and just love looking at other people's bikes)
Old 01-10-18, 10:12 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I just like machinery, particularly bicycles. I bought a couple from shops, but every bike I have came from someone who didn't want it any more. They saw it as potential $$ and we conducted a bit of market capitalism.

I run across many really interesting bikes, but only once in a while does something resonate. The times we live in and our technology has vastly enlarged the selection available. I enjoy seeing the results of other BF members encounters and the beautiful machines that resulted. Can't say it rises to the level of coveting. Don
Old 01-10-18, 10:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I'm not fond of it actually...there's nothing about it that, on balance, I really like more than some other bikes that I have. I outright dislike Shimano's shifting, I think the more modern headset and BB feel a bit wonky...it just feels...cheap...compared to my more traditional bikes. I like it a bit more than my other bikes in real mud and rougher terrain, but it's significantly less than on more packed gravel and pavement. It also really isn't terribly agile and I don't trust it at any real speed. Overall...I'd rather ride the Cinelli or Pete Matthews a but more gingerly when it gets rougher and enjoy it more all of the other times.

I'll tell you...that Pete Matthews...now that's a bike. It's not one of the ones people look at when they check out my fleet, but I think they might if they rode it. It's what I wanted the Raleigh International to be.

The disc brakes on the diverge are nice (when they're not squealing).
Interesting. Maybe I'll try a modern gravel/all-road bike, but I'm not buying a bike any time soon, old or new. Maybe I'm better off not knowing what I'm missing. I don't need to covet anything. I've already ridden my Super Course a lot and know I like it a lot. I expect I'll be happy with my upcoming rebuild.

How do you "feel" a bottom bracket? And what's wrong with the headset?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-18, 10:21 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by noglider
Interesting. Maybe I'll try a modern gravel/all-road bike, but I'm not buying a bike any time soon, old or new. Maybe I'm better off not knowing what I'm missing. I don't need to covet anything. I've already ridden my Super Course a lot and know I like it a lot. I expect I'll be happy with my upcoming rebuild.

How do you "feel" a bottom bracket? And what's wrong with the headset?
I don't know how to explain it...other than it doesn't feel SMOOTH. It's the first time I've ever noticed them, and I can't put it into words. They feel rough. Pedaling isn't as smooth. Even moving the bars when off the bike feels...I don't know. Different. Bad different.

Next time you're in town, take it for a spin.

There are other things I don't like too...for instance needing a torque wrench to tighten a seattube.

I'm looking forward to selling it truthfully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.