Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What tires do you all run?

Old 04-19-19, 06:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Everyone should keep in mind that no tire can overcome poor cornering technique.

I thought my tires sucked until it was pointed out that I was cornering all wrong. When I learned to do it right I realized that my tires were surprisingly good.

User @Spoonrobot pointed out the Skills with Phil videos which are excellent, espeically "Flat Turns Explained". It will help you get the most out of your tires.

-Tim-
Old 04-19-19, 11:12 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
curious about these...any thoughts about how they perform? I could probably fit the 700x48 version, but have never tried a tire this slick (well, besides wholly inadequate 23mm road tires). I’m thinking at low pressure they’d be great for 90% of what I’d ride, but not sure how they’d do when I need traction, like looser gravel and steeper hills.
This is the only gravel tire i have ridden besides a Schwalbe G-one (only a few times on these). Fast on pavement and fast on packed-fine gravel. Good on dirt and rocks. Good in wet conditions. Not good in mud. Overall a very good and durable tire that does not have good mud performance. I would say the rubber is a medium soft compound - when i first got them they were real pebble chuckers.
Old 04-20-19, 01:10 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I run Vittoria's on all my bikes. Corsas on the road bike and my wife and I have 33c Terreno Drys on the Gravel bikes.

Ive got 700 miles on this pair and they are slightly worn in the middle with good shoulder still left in them.

Vittorias have a great road feel to them. Very supple and great at soaking up the bumps. The downfall is that they probably will wear a little quicker than most tires with firmer rubber. They also have a bad wrap for flatting. I have not had any more flats with them than I do with the continentals, schwalbe and hutchinsons that I have used.

The Terreno dry is a good mix for some off road, some packed dirt and tight gravel. Not bad on the thicker stuff and heavier rock but doesn't have thick enough tread for the muddy thick slush you might see on a CX course. You also might want a different tread if you are up and down single track in the hills and mountains.

I know there will be many experiences and much advice here but its important to know where and what they are riding on. Slicks on a 42c on urban paths are very different than slicks on 32c being used for cross or putting slicks on a 650 going down a mountainside. Different tires for different surfaces.

Id also take a look at the panaracer sk's for road/hardpack and some hills.

Ive had bad experiences with schwalbes and hutchinsons in the past. The Hutchinson tire I had a problem with had dry rot. My experience with support from them was non existent. Vittoria usually emails me back.

Note that Team Sunweb is sponsored by continental but their entire team rode unlabled Vittorias at Paris-Roubaix. They are a popular tire with the pros. At least on the road side for sure. Theres a wide mix of good tires for gravel.

-Sean
Old 04-20-19, 06:15 AM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am another in favor of the Hutchinson Overides. I am using the 35mm tubed on a Jamis Renegade Expat. Can average 18-19 mph on road rides (20-40 mile rides). 16-17 on mixed rides (same distances) (all on Strava). The gravel is a mix of hardpack to some loose in sections and most paved roads suck around here. Able to keep up with our cycling group on longer rides around 18mph with no issues. I've only had one flat in the back when going over a railroad track, a piece of metal went through. Otherwise no issues. After 1200 miles still looking new. Plan on running tubeless here soon. I would assume the 38mm version would be very close if not just as fast as the 35mm. Hope this info helps!
Old 04-21-19, 11:27 AM
wheelsmcgee

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
This is the only gravel tire i have ridden besides a Schwalbe G-one (only a few times on these). Fast on pavement and fast on packed-fine gravel. Good on dirt and rocks. Good in wet conditions. Not good in mud. Overall a very good and durable tire that does not have good mud performance. I would say the rubber is a medium soft compound - when i first got them they were real pebble chuckers.
Thanks...I went ahead and ordered a set of the 700x48, looking forward to trying them out. I typically don’t ride much mud (during events, I don’t always have a choice).
Old 04-21-19, 11:51 AM
Wilmingtech

These are the Terreno Dry's. 740 miles on them as this pic was taken.
Old 04-21-19, 04:26 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
I found the Hutchinson Overides on sale on Biketiresdirect for 39.99. I might place an order this evening, looking at the 35s since I’m on 70% pavement 30% hard pack gravel. The county keeps paving the gravel roads but they are not actually smooth. The Schwalbe Marathons are ok and bomb proof just slooooow. I want to fly
Old 04-21-19, 05:01 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
So far been using Compass black extralight sizes and Schwalbe Thunderburts. Big fan of both when conditions are suitable for each.

Been riding more very steep hills lately which have a fairly loose surface so went hunting around for a fairly lightweight tyre with some knobs.
Settled on the Schwalbe X-One Allround LE, weighing 330gm. 700x35. Tubeless.

Very happy with their grip uphill. They roll pretty fast on paved also, for what they are.
Old 04-21-19, 07:36 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I found the Hutchinson Overides on sale on Biketiresdirect for 39.99. I might place an order this evening, looking at the 35s since I’m on 70% pavement 30% hard pack gravel. The county keeps paving the gravel roads but they are not actually smooth. The Schwalbe Marathons are ok and bomb proof just slooooow. I want to fly
The $39.99 Overides on biketiresdirect look to be the tubed only (non tubeless ready) ones. Not sure if that will be an issue for you, but wanted to give you a heads up incase you didn't catch that already! Either way I think you'd fly with those tires! They at least do well for me

Last edited by Derekve; 04-21-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 08:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by Derekve
The $39.99 Overides on biketiresdirect look to be the tubed only (non tubeless ready) ones. Not sure if that will be an issue for you, but wanted to give you a heads up incase you didn't catch that already! Either way I think you'd fly with those tires! They at least do well for me
Thank You for pointed that out I will have to see if they are tubeless only I believe you are correct. If that is the case I will look at another tire. Mounting tubeless ready tires with tubes in my experience is not fun. One set of wheels I had to stand on the tires in the 100 degree heat just to break the beads loose and I had some bloody thumbs I got clincher rims and tires for my MTB so can can fix flats fast in the middle of nowhere. I need to go tubeless but I’m a stubborn holdout.
Old 04-21-19, 08:40 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Yes tubed only I reread you’re post. I’m a bad proofreader I’m running tubes so the Hutchinsons on sale shouldn’t be a problem.
Old 04-22-19, 07:27 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I am running Schwalbe marathon plus Tours 700Cx42mm on my Centurion Pro Tour here in Cambodia, lots of potholes, wires, nails and screws on both main roads and dirt. Ride 50/50 dirt/tar. Heavier tire, not as supple but no flats.
Old 04-22-19, 07:46 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
These are the Terreno Dry's. 740 miles on them as this pic was taken.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e3d2b16c13.jpg
What width rims are those? I was looking at Terreno's earlier this weekend and the lugs seem higher up the casing than I prefer but the tires were on very wide rims, something like 28mm internal.
Old 04-22-19, 08:12 AM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
What width rims are those? I was looking at Terreno's earlier this weekend and the lugs seem higher up the casing than I prefer but the tires were on very wide rims, something like 28mm internal.
These are the HED GP Plus Disc rims. 21mm inside and 25mm external.

The Tires are 700x33c inflated to 70psi in the picture. Inflated they come to about 34-35mm across.

-Sean
Old 04-22-19, 08:16 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the measurements. Once the 700x38 comes out I think I'll try a pair.
Old 04-22-19, 09:16 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am running Schwalbe marathon plus Tours 700Cx42mm on my Centurion Pro Tour here in Cambodia, lots of potholes, wires, nails and screws on both main roads and dirt. Ride 50/50 dirt/tar. Heavier tire, not as supple but no flats.
I’m running the regular Marathons 700x35 I don’t race, I’m in it for general fitness. Though heavy and slower they refuse to wear down and are flat proof. Only one flat in years and that was a mesquite thorn which is like a nail. I some gatorskins in the parts bin for smooth road treks but haven’t been on many of those lately.
Old 04-22-19, 07:53 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Yes tubed only I reread you’re post. I’m a bad proofreader I’m running tubes so the Hutchinsons on sale shouldn’t be a problem.
😁... I am like you and have been holding out going tubeless, but I think I am willing to give it a shot. The tubeless ready overides with tubes feel quick, so I'd imagine the tubed version would be just as fast. The overides were not as bad mounting on the rims. I have 32mm panaracer gk slicks tubeless ready on my hybrid running with tubes and they were a pain in the a$$ to mount.
Old 04-22-19, 08:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I have heard many say the Panaracers are hard to mount. I haven’t pressed to buy button yet I’m still looking at all tire options.
Old 04-23-19, 05:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I can tell you what I"m NOT riding anymore:

Maxxis Ramblers 700x38. Nope. No mas.

Care to elaborate? These tires are on my "might try" list.
Old 04-23-19, 07:28 AM
jono_

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm curious as well. I'm now on my second set of Maxxis Ramblers in 700x40 and other than when things get muddy they've been great.
Old 04-23-19, 08:00 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Any thoughts on the Vittoria Terreno Zero tires? I’m on 50/50 pavement-gravel routes where I ride from my house.
Old 04-23-19, 09:58 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I've come to the conclusion there's probably not one tyre good enough for year round as we hit some mud in the winter so now go with GK SK's in the winter which are great and handle some mud pretty well and have just swapped to Vittoria Voyager Hypers which I used on my 29er in the summer last year

Last edited by Witterings; 04-23-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 03:29 PM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Panaracer Gravel King SK in both 650bx48 and 700x43 for rides that include a lot of dirt, but recently I've been doing rides that have a higher percentage of road vs. dirt on new Challenge Strada Bianca TLR 700x36. I'm running them tubeless (I also run the Panaracers tubeless) on 22mm internal carbon rims and they've grown up to 39mm. These tires are supple, fast and can really take a beating, I just hope they last as they are already showing some signs of wear with less than 400 miles on them. They don't do so well in loose sand, but really no slick tire does.
Old 04-24-19, 12:09 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
I lost four of them to random cuts, and two of them from separations. And I'm on what I consider fairly clean trails/roads.

They don't roll particularly efficiently either.

I switched to Specialized tires and am pretty happy so far.
Old 04-24-19, 06:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I lost four of them to random cuts, and two of them from separations. And I'm on what I consider fairly clean trails/roads.

They don't roll particularly efficiently either.

I switched to Specialized tires and am pretty happy so far.
Thanks for that feedback on the 38mm Ramblers. I've seen plenty of other complaints about the separations.

It's hard to tell whether to write off the Ramblers entirely, though, since there are a whole bunch of varieties: different sizes (38 and 40), with and without the sidewall protection, etc. I've not been able to figure out whether the problems are will all of them, or only certain versions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.