Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How long does it take you to fix a flat?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How long does it take you to fix a flat?

Old 06-03-19, 11:17 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I ride mostly in group rides. So as to not slow the group too much, we tag-team flats. One person usually unseats the bead, pulls the old tube, inspects for cause (and remedies if necessary), another person has the fresh tube ready to go in, and another person has the CO2 ready. I'm almost always doing the heavy lifting with the wheel (unseating, inspecting, installing new tube) because of my shop experience, I'm pretty fast.
I'd say our stops are usually 3-4 minutes.
Old 06-03-19, 11:18 AM
Bnystrom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run sealant in all of my tires - including those that use tubes - and on average I get less than one flat per year. There may be multiple thorns and small wires in them that would have caused flats that the sealant handled, but I'll never know. I used to work in the bike biz and have changed thousands of tubes, so I can do it in just a few minutes on the road, though it's typically for other people. The only thing that takes any real time is pumping the tires up.
Old 06-03-19, 11:19 AM
hplbiking

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do not find 5-10 minutes as rushing it. I don’t remove the axle (unless it’s the rear in my time trial bike with horizontal drop outs), I don’t use the nut, I don’t patch it (unless I go through two tubes and even them I use glueless) and I use CO2. When you ride with others do they wait 20 minutes with you?
I used to ride with someone who took that long and we stopped waiting.

Originally Posted by General Geoff
Having gotten two flats on my rear tire in a week's time, I've found it takes me about 20-25 minutes at a liesurely pace to:

remove a thru-axle,
pull the wheel,
unseat one bead,
leverage the bead over the wheel rim,
remove the tube and presta valve nut,
find the puncture in the tube,
locate corresponding point on the tire,
find source of puncture (both times it was a tiny shard of glass still embedded in the tire),
remove source of puncture from tire,
wipe off puncture section of inner tube with wet paper towel,
scuff with 220 grit sandpaper,
apply vulcanizing rubber cement and spread around puncture area,
peel and apply patch, knead with pressure for a minute,
re-insert tube, reinsert presta valve/affix nut,
tuck tube into tire,
leverage the bead back into the wheel rim,
and pump about a hundred times with a compact hand pump,
then re-mount wheel onto bike and re-insert thru-axle.

I've read on here before that a seasoned cyclist can replace or patch a tube in less than 10 minutes, but outside a race, I just don't see the benefit in rushing when you might botch something and end up with an unsuccessful repair. What are your experiences?
Old 06-03-19, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
It depends. Am I drunk or sober?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-19, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by happy feet
man you guys are fast!

I allocate a full 10 minutes just for the initial cursing, not including actual cursing while working.
ftw!
Old 06-03-19, 12:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
@Wooderson, that's clever!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-03-19, 12:55 PM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my first flat repair on the road a few weeks ago. According to Strava, it was right at 10 minutes. Pulled the wheel off (through axle and disk brakes), popped tire off without tools, found the piece of glass that cut the tube, replaced the tube with a new one, put the tire/tube on and aired with a CO2 cartridge all in one shot, tossed my stuff back in my pack, crammed the old tube in my jersey, put the wheel back on, cleaned my hands off, and rode off to catch up with the group. Probably cold do it faster if I cared to rush, but had decided I was going to ditch the ride and go home till a friend stopped to help me with moral support. He helped me catch the group after the repair!
Old 06-03-19, 01:18 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Most of my flats lately are due to a very fine piece of wire, presumably, shards from the steel in tires. It usually takes a few minutes to find and extract the culprit. Another 5 min to replace the tube and pump the tire. If I'm commuting I'll have a pump, if I'm with a group I'll use CO2.
Somewhere along the way I discovered that the sweepers that they use to sweep roads of sand and gravel etc, lose these fine wires off of the sweeper occasionally. Apparently cheap sweepers are the worst for shedding wires.
Old 06-03-19, 01:27 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I was plagued with flats on my 700MM roadie tires until I got Gatorskin tires. Haven't had a flat since. They have more rolling resistance, but anything beats a flat.

I discovered long ago that especially with high pressure tires, just put a new tube on. The brand makes no difference IMO. Otherwise you'll spend countless hours fixing then refixing then rerefixing etc.
Old 06-03-19, 02:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
How many ever have another rider come to a complete stop to offer any kind of assistance? Or is it a quick drive-by "You OK?"

In the U.S. we typically call it a "flat" and in Europe its a "puncture".
Frequently, and even drivers on my commute have stopped and hollered out if I needed any help.

I don't come to a complete stop unless they look out of sorts or hesitant, and I have fixed a few flats for people who were hesitant at first. The majority have it covered though, or they're too stubborn and would rather walk it back to the car.
Old 06-03-19, 04:39 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I had a tube go flat from a pin-hole leak so I patched it. Several weeks later the tube formed another pin-hole leak and there was no puncture of the tire and nothing to puncture or pinch it where the new leak appeared without warning. That is why I no longer patch inner-tubes. For $6 I replace them. If I patched a tube on the road to get home I would still replace the tube as soon as possible.
Old 06-03-19, 05:21 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I don't patch, I just put in a new tube (in fact, I have never mastered, even when at home, patching)...when i first started doing this 20 years ago, it took me FOREVER. Now I can change one in reasonable time (but have never checked with my stop watch), sometimes, even quick, but: I can STILL screw up and take forever...and I often have a hard time getting that last six inches of tire over the rim
Old 06-03-19, 05:24 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by dkatz1
I don't patch, I just put in a new tube (in fact, I have never mastered, even when at home, patching)...when i first started doing this 20 years ago, it took me FOREVER. Now I can change one in reasonable time (but have never checked with my stop watch), sometimes, even quick, but: I can STILL screw up and take forever...and I often have a hard time getting that last six inches of tire over the rim
I forgot: I have a hand pump along, but only use it to put enough air in the new tube to make it a bit round...then I use CO2...which I've found: doesn't get tires anywhere near as full as I'd like...
Old 06-03-19, 06:03 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
[QUOTE=Witterings;20954953]

I've always held back on using the spare tube mainly because they're so much more compact from the shop than I'm ever going to be able to pack them back down to after they've been inflated.

Like most everyone I check to find the source of the problem, work a new tube in and fix the tube at home. As far as putting in back in the saddle pouch, hold the fixed tube flat and suck all the air out. It helps to pinch the tube so it doesn't close off the suction, then use your finger the other way to keep any air from re-entering the tube, screw the valve shut and fold about 6" flat and roll the rest around that 6" strip. If you start with the valve on the opposite side from where you start folding then you should have a reasonably small tube to put an elastic band on. I don't normally check my repaired tubes in water. I assume they're ok.

Once while touring, before realizing the maple tree spiked balls were doing me in, I had 5 flats in a quarter mile and used all the glue in my patch kit and had to make a bee line to the nearest bike shop.🙄
Old 06-03-19, 06:08 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I forgot: I have a hand pump along, but only use it to put enough air in the new tube to make it a bit round...then I use CO2...which I've found: doesn't get tires anywhere near as full as I'd like...
I don’t get this bit. How does inflating the tube slightly to give it shape, make it easier to install? Surely that would make it more susceptible to getting pinched or punctured in the process? I roll my tubes up so that when I unroll it and insert the valve, the tube lays flat and sort of falls into place on its own and I can just push it into the inner wall of the tire as I’m reseating the bead. No chance of pinching it with the bead or the tire lever.

what size c02 cartridge or you using? What size tire? You need to use the proper size cartridge. I use the standard 16g, which for a 700x32 at roughly 80psi, is pretty much perfect. Expel the entire cartridge and I’m done. I only have to blow off and waste as small amount in the front, at 60psi.
Old 06-03-19, 06:15 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I can get a flat faster than I can fix one
Old 06-03-19, 06:43 PM
Mikier

Bikes: 1974 Falcon Olympic ,1982 Trek 710(both all Reynolds 531), 1974 Raleigh Sports, the'Keep Portland Weird'Montgomery Ward Open Road 10sp with basement sourced modern parts, 1989 TREK 400, 1980s Nishiki mixte, 1981 VINER Special Professional,Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Flats a go go

Ditto...ditto... I usually carry two tubes tucked under the saddle and repair at home on a leisurely weekend along with a beer. I often also carry an old folding tire in the advent of the dreaded sidewall cut.
Old 06-03-19, 07:03 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Fix flat don't remove tube

pump tire, find leak and its cause, remove one side tire bead (about 6 inches either sides of leak), remove cause of leak from tire, run fingers inside tire for remaining pieces of class sharp wire etc, patch tube per patch kit instructions, also if big hole in tire apply patch to inside of tire, re-install tire bead on rim, inflate tire, check that tire is holding air, and then peddle away.
Old 06-03-19, 07:38 PM
dkatz1

Putting some air in the tire (I'm talking: barely any) makes it easier to get inside the tire....I don't use a tire iron to put tire back on...
Old 06-04-19, 05:45 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Man you guys are fast!

I allocate a full 10 minutes just for the initial cursing, not including actual cursing while working.
You are not alone!
Old 06-04-19, 06:04 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
This guy might not be the fastest but he still is very good. Oh, and he has no hands and just one arm.

Old 06-04-19, 08:27 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
What kind of lunatic patches a tube on the side of the road?
Old 06-04-19, 10:44 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I can patch as fast as I can replace the tube, geez by the time you roll up a tube and get all the air out I have the darn thing patched. Not only that but if I replace the tube on the side of the road instead of patching then I have to go home and fix the damn tube which means unroll it, inflate it, find the hole and patch, reroll it back up and put it the saddle bag, why do all of that when most of the time the leak is easy to find when it occurs. Then I read some years back on a forum where he didn't even take the wheel off the bike, if he knew where the leak was at he simply removed about 1/2 of the bead on one side of the wheel with the hole area in the center, then pulled the tube out as much as he could, find the leak and patch and reinstall. I thought that was odd when I first read it but then one day I got a flat and knew where it was at so I thought I would try that method...I'll be dang if it didn't work! That method doesn't work on all flat situations but that one time it did it saved me a lot of time, it doesn't work on steel or wire beaded tires at all.

I'm not riding with a bunch of people when I ride so trying to save time to benefit a crowd of hurryups isn't a problem. But if I'm motivated, and not using the leaving the wheel on the bike method, I can fix a flat as fast as 5 to 10 minutes if I'm loofing; if I replace the tube it takes about 5 to 8 minutes; the time I did that leave the wheel on the bike it took me about 3 1/2 minutes but I was seeing how fast I could do it too. But those 2 or so minutes I save replacing the tube on the side of the road I have to go home and spend around 5 to 8 minutes fixing the tube, the reason for the extra time is due to inflating the tube and then try to find the leak, then let the air back out of the tube so I put a patch on it. So I can save myself around 7 minutes by just fixing the flat on the road.
Old 06-05-19, 10:09 AM
mjd420nova

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have rarely had the experience of getting a flat while riding. After many decades of biking, I learned early on that multiple layers of tubing helps insulate things. Then Mr Tuffy came out. After wrapping the spoke ends in the rim with two layers of electrical tape (one layer the thick pliable, waterproof and vinyl on top). Heat in the summer will cause unexpected blowouts when things aren't protected. Mr Tuffy goes between a heavy duty tube and the tire. Went ten years on one wheel between flats. They work.
Old 06-05-19, 11:22 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Have not had a flat in over four years since switching to Bontrager Hardcase Series tires. I don't even carry flat repair tools anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.