Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Never seen that before.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Never seen that before.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 03:37 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Desp[ite the unfounded claims being made by people who have strong opinions and zero facts, vaping is just inhaling steam not hot enough to cause burns. People with sensitive lungs might find it irritating ... ...
Personally I don't care if people vape or smoke or whatever, and I don't buy the "raises my insurance" argument.

But I have to think that the health impact of vaping is more about absorbing the nicotine, delivered to your lung tissue with or without the smoke.
Old 06-24-19, 04:39 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
And vaping is no better, but they are known to blow up on you to boot. I just read an article how one blew up in someones face and they broke their jaw, lost teeth and had to have facial surgery.
Much of the info in the article you linked has been updated, retracted, or proven incorrect. For example, the testing method utilized when formaldehyde was found was proven to have been utilizing the e-cigarette in an unrealistic way and a way that is almost impossible for a user to replicated in the real world. The New England Journal retracted their findings citing formaldehyde and other toxins almost immediately after it was published, stating that they should have provided more context and admitted that they were in a hurry to publish their findings. Fact remains - we KNOW that e-cigarettes contain about 5% of the toxins found in traditional cigarettes with some brands as high as 9%. We know that 0 carcinogens have been found in e-cigarette vapor. We know that European countries have embraced e-cigarettes as harm reduction and smoking cessation. European countries have studies showing that e-cigarettes far surpass other forms of smoking cessation in their success. We know that tobacco manufacturers are spending millions lobbying in an attempt to regulate e-cigarettes. We know that big pharma is spending millions for the same purpose. We know that some state governments are seeing less money coming in from the master tobacco settlement and that sudden decrease correlates with the availability of the e-cigarette. We know that these states have sold bonds based on actuarial studies that were conducted prior to e-cigarettes being introduced and they are now scrambling to find a way to pay off these soon-to-be junk bonds. We know that tobacco is a huge industry that employ thousands of US workers.

The truth is that there are a bunch of very powerful people from both the private and public sector who want US citizens to purchase cigarettes because it is good for the bottom line. They will do everything they can to support their cause.

Finally, as for the batteries, and get ready to toss out your phone or other battery powered device if you really want to take this stance, they don't blow up any more than other devices that are powered by lithium-ion batteries. Most batteries explode due to misuse. https://www.ibtimes.co.in/teen-dies-...harging-764326 Your bike light, cadence sensor, bike computer, etc. all use Li-ion batteries
Old 06-24-19, 04:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I don't vape, but I have friends who do, including one who took it up to kick a 2-pack-a-day clove habit. He mixes his own juice-- it's propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, food flavoring, and nicotine. It's flavored fog machine juice with nicotine in it. Nothing nefarious.
Old 06-24-19, 05:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Maybe a ‘fun ride’.
Glad you didn’t step on his buzz.
Old 06-24-19, 07:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Much of the info in the article you linked has been updated, retracted, or proven incorrect. For example, the testing method utilized when formaldehyde was found was proven to have been utilizing the e-cigarette in an unrealistic way and a way that is almost impossible for a user to replicated in the real world. The New England Journal retracted their findings citing formaldehyde and other toxins almost immediately after it was published, stating that they should have provided more context and admitted that they were in a hurry to publish their findings. Fact remains - we KNOW that e-cigarettes contain about 5% of the toxins found in traditional cigarettes with some brands as high as 9%. We know that 0 carcinogens have been found in e-cigarette vapor. We know that European countries have embraced e-cigarettes as harm reduction and smoking cessation. European countries have studies showing that e-cigarettes far surpass other forms of smoking cessation in their success. We know that tobacco manufacturers are spending millions lobbying in an attempt to regulate e-cigarettes. We know that big pharma is spending millions for the same purpose. We know that some state governments are seeing less money coming in from the master tobacco settlement and that sudden decrease correlates with the availability of the e-cigarette. We know that these states have sold bonds based on actuarial studies that were conducted prior to e-cigarettes being introduced and they are now scrambling to find a way to pay off these soon-to-be junk bonds. We know that tobacco is a huge industry that employ thousands of US workers.

The truth is that there are a bunch of very powerful people from both the private and public sector who want US citizens to purchase cigarettes because it is good for the bottom line. They will do everything they can to support their cause.

Finally, as for the batteries, and get ready to toss out your phone or other battery powered device if you really want to take this stance, they don't blow up any more than other devices that are powered by lithium-ion batteries. Most batteries explode due to misuse. https://www.ibtimes.co.in/teen-dies-...harging-764326 Your bike light, cadence sensor, bike computer, etc. all use Li-ion batteries
Yes, I mentioned the battery thing because it is literally the only proven injuries due to ecigs. One of them burst into flames in a guy's pocket as I recall, and he wasn't seriously injured.

I'm sure there's been much worse from lighter mishaps.
Old 06-24-19, 08:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I believe RJ Reynolds owns Vuse ... tobacco companies didn't get rich by being stupid, just cruel and heartless.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-24-19, 08:25 PM
Gunga Dan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I know there was a meta-analysis of all the studies to date on vaping, and the only confirmed hazard was exploding batteries.
Speaking of which https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/healt...udy/index.html

I live in WA & enjoy a bit of cannabis, but have never had it in my system during a ride. Could be fun, could be dangerous, maybe even illegal, at least if you're on public roadways. What experiences has anyone had with this?
Old 06-24-19, 08:36 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunga Dan
Speaking of which https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/healt...udy/index.html

I live in WA & enjoy a bit of cannabis, but have never had it in my system during a ride. Could be fun, could be dangerous, maybe even illegal, at least if you're on public roadways. What experiences has anyone had with this?
No experience with cannabis, I'm more of a vaping massive quantities of cocaine oil and racing around screaming at people on the MUP kind of cyclist.
Likes For Humpy:
Old 06-24-19, 09:00 PM
Gunga Dan

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Humpy
No experience with cannabis, I'm more of a vaping massive quantities of cocaine oil and racing around screaming at people on the MUP kind of cyclist.
I only use cocaine oil on the chain & sprockets, definitely makes the bike go FASTER!
Old 06-24-19, 10:59 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I only use cocaine oil on the chain & sprockets, definitely makes the bike go FASTER!
Maybe it only seems faster.
Old 06-24-19, 11:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
Maybe it only seems faster.
Time flies on a 'fun ride'.

especially if riding with rainy day women!
Old 06-25-19, 07:14 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
To those who think explosions & fires are limited to e-cigarettes: https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/tech/...sks/index.html

"This is by not the first time lithium-ion batteries have hit the headlines.Although the Samsung phone's battery is different to those in airliners, Boeing faced similar issues with lithium-ion batteries in their Dreamliner aircraft. Their entire global fleet was grounded in 2013 after multiple instances of overheating batteries in Boston and Tokyo.Investigations by the National Transportation Safety Board determined that manufacturing defects and allegedly unsatisfactory oversight of the manufacturing of the batteries by both the FAA and Boeing were the root causes of the incidents.At least two fatal cargo jet crashes are believed by investigating authorities to have been caused by fires on board as a result of these lithium-ion batteries. In 2010, a Boeing 747 crashed in Dubai, killing two crew members while an Asiana Airlines 747 crashed off South Korea the following year, also killing two crew members."

I find it interesting that when other Li-ion battery power devices have battery failures & injure people, it is always the battery and the reporters find ways to show completely different devices powered by the same technology failing. It is always linked to the battery. When an 18650 battery (same battery used to power many other devices) inside of an e-cigarette fails & injures someone, it is all about e-cigarette failure. It also doesn't help that millions of counterfeit 18650 batteries are imported from China. The limited markings on these batteries make them easy to counterfeit, using inferior and mislabeled products. Just go to Google and type in "counterfeit 18650" and you will find endless videos and articles discussing the problem. What am I trying to say here? This is not a e-cigarette problem. This is a battery problem.
Old 06-25-19, 09:09 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Too messy... I prefer cannabis wax.
Old 06-25-19, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by medic75
To those who think explosions & fires are limited to e-cigarettes: https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/tech/...sks/index.html

"This is by not the first time lithium-ion batteries have hit the headlines.Although the Samsung phone's battery is different to those in airliners, Boeing faced similar issues with lithium-ion batteries in their Dreamliner aircraft. Their entire global fleet was grounded in 2013 after multiple instances of overheating batteries in Boston and Tokyo.Investigations by the National Transportation Safety Board determined that manufacturing defects and allegedly unsatisfactory oversight of the manufacturing of the batteries by both the FAA and Boeing were the root causes of the incidents.At least two fatal cargo jet crashes are believed by investigating authorities to have been caused by fires on board as a result of these lithium-ion batteries. In 2010, a Boeing 747 crashed in Dubai, killing two crew members while an Asiana Airlines 747 crashed off South Korea the following year, also killing two crew members."

I find it interesting that when other Li-ion battery power devices have battery failures & injure people, it is always the battery and the reporters find ways to show completely different devices powered by the same technology failing. It is always linked to the battery. When an 18650 battery (same battery used to power many other devices) inside of an e-cigarette fails & injures someone, it is all about e-cigarette failure. It also doesn't help that millions of counterfeit 18650 batteries are imported from China. The limited markings on these batteries make them easy to counterfeit, using inferior and mislabeled products. Just go to Google and type in "counterfeit 18650" and you will find endless videos and articles discussing the problem. What am I trying to say here? This is not a e-cigarette problem. This is a battery problem.
I'm pretty sure Samsung got hit pretty hard when its phones started bursting into flames--if the device contains a battery that blows up, that is a defect to the device. If the devices are being sold with defective batteries, that is the fault of the manufacturer and/or the distributor of the device. It would make a lot more sense to advise people on how to avoid such products rather than worrying about the accounting problem of whether it should count as a danger of vaping. When people are talking about potential health problems with vaping, 99%+ of them are not referring to battery burns. You've done a good job of debunking the "health concerns" people are really talking about, but this turn sounds more like you're defending bad practices in the industry.
Old 06-30-19, 06:56 PM
Gunga Dan

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Time flies on a 'fun ride'.

especially if riding with rainy day women!
Well, I would not feel so all alone...
Old 06-30-19, 11:10 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
As the OP, I can't believe this thread is still alive. I was only relating a strange looking phenomenon. People I know who ride would never smoke. People (what few) that I know who still smoke don't ride. This guy surprised me, that's all. I'm in a bike club with around 300 members, can't think of any who smoke.
Old 07-01-19, 04:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
As the OP, I can't believe this thread is still alive. I was only relating a strange looking phenomenon. People I know who ride would never smoke. People (what few) that I know who still smoke don't ride. This guy surprised me, that's all. I'm in a bike club with around 300 members, can't think of any who smoke.
Vaping isn't smoking. That's kind of the point.

Nicotine is a mild but addictive stimulant, but vaping doesn't have the negative effects on fitness that smoking does. What you saw was more like someone having coffee during a ride than lighting up a cig.
Old 07-11-19, 06:15 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Could be a weed pen as well
This.