Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Potenza Silver

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy Potenza Silver

Old 09-09-19, 09:51 AM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts
Campy Potenza Silver

Looking to build up a new to me 66cm CAAD5 frame and was strongly considering using Campy Potenza 11 speed, primarily because of the silver color. I'm having a hard time finding groupsets in silver and ran across a note online that said that at least, the silver shifters had been discontinued, black only. Does anyone have an insider knowledge of this? Is it now true that SRAM, Shimano and Campy are almost entirely black/grey now? I think 105 still comes in silver, right? Sigh....
Old 09-09-19, 10:47 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
only 2 left at Chainreaction

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod161461
Old 09-09-19, 10:57 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The Campy website still says that a silver version is available.

IMO, the new Campy Chorus 12 is now the best value, if bought online, at pinkjersey.com or other supplier. It's black only of course. The shifters are more versatile and the gear range is larger. The new maximum smoothness cables also make for more precise shifting down the cassette, to smaller cogs.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 09-09-19 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 12:26 PM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I just built a Cinelli up using silver Potenza Groupset - I have another post on here with a photo of the bike. I found the best price/shipping time from Condorcycles.com - two days from the UK to my door in Cincinnati. Bike24.com stocks the silver, but their ordering process is a mess.

While setting up the FD on the bike, I managed to break the left shift paddle at the pivot point - I think the plastic casting was bad since it broke with very little pressure. Condor was great to work with and warrantied the brifter with a few questions and had it to me within a week.

Since that incident, I replaced the Potenza brifters with Chorus 11 brifters (planetcyclery.com has then for $179 shipped). The quality of the shifting/shifter is worlds better than the Potenza brifter - much firmer and more precise. Even though Campy markets the Potenza as an Ultegra competitor, the brifters are the same body as the Centaur and really do feel low-end. And yes, Campy says the lever don't work with Potenza, but they do.

Brakes and derailleurs from the groupset I have no complaints about, other than the brakes not having a quick release swivel pivot.

John
Old 09-09-19, 01:00 PM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jad3675
I just built a Cinelli up using silver Potenza Groupset - I have another post on here with a photo of the bike. I found the best price/shipping time from Condorcycles.com - two days from the UK to my door in Cincinnati. Bike24.com stocks the silver, but their ordering process is a mess.

While setting up the FD on the bike, I managed to break the left shift paddle at the pivot point - I think the plastic casting was bad since it broke with very little pressure. Condor was great to work with and warrantied the brifter with a few questions and had it to me within a week.

Since that incident, I replaced the Potenza brifters with Chorus 11 brifters (planetcyclery.com has then for $179 shipped). The quality of the shifting/shifter is worlds better than the Potenza brifter - much firmer and more precise. Even though Campy markets the Potenza as an Ultegra competitor, the brifters are the same body as the Centaur and really do feel low-end. And yes, Campy says the lever don't work with Potenza, but they do.

Brakes and derailleurs from the groupset I have no complaints about, other than the brakes not having a quick release swivel pivot.

John
Thanks for the review... Interesting. Your experience has me rethinking my plans, as even at internet discounted prices, Potenza ain't cheap. Question - would you go with potenza again? Move up to Chorus? Ultegra? Just curious.
Old 09-09-19, 01:21 PM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jrg1244
Thanks for the review... Interesting. Your experience has me rethinking my plans, as even at internet discounted prices, Potenza ain't cheap. Question - would you go with potenza again? Move up to Chorus? Ultegra? Just curious.
I like the campy stuff, and I think in silver it looks stunning on my bike. If I did it again, I'd go with Chorus 11 levers and Potenza the rest of the way. It's $180 for the brifters, $110 for RD, $60 for FD, $180 for the crank and $50 for the brakes. I use a Shimano 11spd cassette and chain - again, it does work and is far cheaper than Campy stuff.

I had Ultegra 6800 on my old bike, and yes, once setup it was smooth and precise, but I never really liked the way it looked. Not that we buy bikes based only on looks, but on a charity ride this weekend I had a few people compliment me on the bike and my choice of groupset. I've really come to a appreciate the shifting pattern on the campy too - one lever for one function, and the Chorus levers have the ultra shift functionality - you can dump down 5 gears with a single button press.

I really do think the broken paddle on my brifter was a manufacturing defect and not indicative of a bad design of the brifter.

John
Old 09-09-19, 02:12 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You better hurry if you want Chorus 11 shifters, since they are no longer made and come to think of it, they are not available in silver.
Old 09-09-19, 03:34 PM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You better hurry if you want Chorus 11 shifters, since they are no longer made and come to think of it, they are not available in silver.
Good point. You can swap potenza or centaur levers b over.

John