Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Explain Like I'm 5: Don't I need a compression plug to oppose the stem bolt forces?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Explain Like I'm 5: Don't I need a compression plug to oppose the stem bolt forces?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19, 01:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
Is this something that replaces star nuts?
My understanding is that star nuts are ok for metal/alloy steerer tubes but no bueno for crabon fiber steerer tubes. Again, I believe this is "conventional wisdom" but have zero "proof." It does make sense because a star nut would possibly cut into carbon while the expansion plug won't.
Old 09-20-19, 01:45 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Thanks for the video. He did demonstrate how the expansion plug does deform the steerer tube, but that's not really proof that the cap/plug is necessary once the preload is set.
Old 09-20-19, 02:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Aluminum liner tubes, expander wedges and bolts... are we going to be back on quill stems eventually?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-20-19, 02:37 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I confess to this form of weenie anxiety too. My Cervélo came with only a star nut.
The Cervelos have an aluminum liner glued into the steerer to hold the star nut and support the carbon tube. No need for the expander plug.
Old 09-20-19, 02:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If I did that the answer would be something like I'm sure that your father has taken care of that.
Old 09-20-19, 03:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
The Cervelos have an aluminum liner glued into the steerer to hold the star nut and support the carbon tube. No need for the expander plug.
Thank you!
Old 09-20-19, 06:36 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This forum is older than spell check, which gave us asploding frames from massive guads.
Originally Posted by datlas
Not to mention droped hamers.
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
With disc breaks and peddles
And the morans, never forget the morans.
Old 09-20-19, 06:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,546 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
And the morans, never forget the morans.
Who can ever forget morans?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-20-19, 07:43 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I'm guessing a crabon tube that maybe needs a compression plug is heavier than an alooooominum tube with a star nut.

For years I ran a MTB without a top cap or star nut because the steerer tube was stuffed with lighting electronics. Yes, it is perfectly safe, but not idiot proof so maybe the 41 shouldn't go there.
Old 09-20-19, 08:17 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

the top cap used with those types of carbon steerer compression tubes prevent the tube from deforming on the open end where cracking generally occurs, it is necessary for proper function of the compression plug design
No the top cap does not sit flush on top of the steerer. In the video you posted the guy is talking about compression plugs which have a lip that sits on top of the steerer. The cap needs 2-3mm of space to compress the headset to spec. He was just demonstrating how the compression fitting can expand the steerer. He just happened to have the top cap attached in the demo. If it were on the bike there would be 2-3mm of space in order to adjust the headset.

Last edited by jadocs; 09-20-19 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 09:24 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
People have a lot of anxiety about this.

The handlebars and seat tube don't have compression plugs in them, and nobody seems to mind.
Your bars and seatpost aren't clamped on the end of the tube. Haven't you seen carbon bars deformed where the stem clamps them?
Old 09-21-19, 08:18 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs

No the top cap does not sit flush on top of the steerer. In the video you posted the guy is talking about compression plugs which have a lip that sits on top of the steerer. The cap needs 2-3mm of space to compress the headset to spec. He was just demonstrating how the compression fitting can expand the steerer. He just happened to have the top cap attached in the demo. If it were on the bike there would be 2-3mm of space in order to adjust the headset.
I'm talking about this type that is referenced in the video. The top cap need to fit tightly in the steerer tube
Old 09-21-19, 01:07 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Gotcha
Old 09-21-19, 01:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Aluminum liner tubes, expander wedges and bolts... are we going to be back on quill stems eventually?
As an example, having used computers since TRS-80, I'd say probably.
Old 09-21-19, 02:38 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Your bars and seatpost aren't clamped on the end of the tube. Haven't you seen carbon bars deformed where the stem clamps them?
The guy that made the video is wanker. He knows what he’s talking about, but he’s marketing a product that he created, to help prevent an issue that isn’t really an issue.
Old 09-21-19, 06:12 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I especially like how he totally glossed over the importance of getting the top bolt tension correct.
Old 09-21-19, 11:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by noodle soup
The guy that made the video is wanker. He knows what he’s talking about, but he’s marketing a product that he created, to help prevent an issue that isn’t really an issue.
I just hope that's only his ID. Sounds a bit cruel to him.
Old 09-22-19, 03:13 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Thanks for the video. He did demonstrate how the expansion plug does deform the steerer tube, but that's not really proof that the cap/plug is necessary once the preload is set.
Yup.
Old 09-22-19, 03:26 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Funny how this guy says that many manufacturer did not engineer well their factory compression plugs & finds flaws in them (IE, says that Giant should have opted for a straight plug instead). I mean, if the damn product was developed and engineered in a specific way (including shape), I'm confident it's pretty much doing what it should be doing.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-22-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 06:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Regarding the need for a compression plug to support the steerer tube. I owned a Colnago C59 which used a wedge type headset which eliminated the need for a top cap to set the preload. Just mounted the stem a flush as possible and the set preload at the headset.

Old 09-22-19, 09:30 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Not sure what vid you're referring to; my comment about clamping a tube on the end isn't based on anything but the 5mm spacer and steerer poking out of the stem rule.

FWIW, none of my carbon steerers poke out of the stem, but I ensure my compression plugs are a good design and are set up properly, and the bottom bolt on my stems is tighter than the top. Seems prudent to remember we're dealing with fibre reinforced plastic...

Originally Posted by eduskator
Funny how this guy says that many manufacturer did not engineer well their factory compression plugs & finds flaws in them (IE, says that Giant should have opted for a straight plug instead). I mean, if the damn product was developed and engineered in a specific way (including shape), I'm confident it's pretty much doing what it should be doing.
'Fraid not... you'd think the threat of folks lawyering up after smashing their teeth out might spur some competent design, but there's a lot of rubbish out there. Like this:

That one's utter crap, and there are worse than that.

I guess the risk of your stem popping off your carbon steerer must be pretty minimal if Darwin has allowed these poxy units to continue to be a thing... I like to sail pretty close to the wind, but this is a risk I'm going to mitigate, albeit to less of an extent than the accepted wisdom.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-22-19 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 10:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

... you'd think the threat of folks lawyering up after smashing their teeth out might spur some competent design, but there's a lot of rubbish out there. Like this:

That one's utter crap, and there are worse than that.
Nonsense. The only rubbish here is your unsubstantiated statement claiming there is something wrong with this steering tube-compression plug design.

There isn't. Stop perpetuating a myth.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-22-19, 10:14 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Nonsense. The only rubbish here is your unsubstantiated statement claiming there is something wrong with this steering tube-compression plug design.

There isn't. Stop perpetuating a myth.
You know these plugs, then? And have experience with a range of plugs as a basis for comparison?

Some are so bad they struggle to grip enough to preload the bearings, let alone support the steerer internally (the necessity of which is apparently a matter of controversy), others don't stand a chance of performing the latter despite managing the former, and the one pictured above manages to introduce a new degree of crapness by trying to be clever and integrating the top cap, which turns against the stem as you're preloading the headset, which is plain nasty, and makes it a fiddly hassle for no good reason. The rest of its design is equally nasty.

It's crap, and if you insist on disagreeing, I submit that you lack the discernment to perceive that.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-22-19 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 10:27 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

You know these plugs, then?
I can read a drawing, and there appears to be nothing wrong with the design depicted in the drawing. It looks like so many other designs from so many other manufacturers.

Point to the place in the drawing that shows the claimed design flaw in this compression plug that prevents it from providing a bearing pre-load.

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-22-19 at 10:49 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-22-19, 11:38 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

I never said this plug in particular couldn't do that; I said it was crap in its own special way - if you can read a drawing you might be able to see the problem. Unlike plugs from other companies, the top cap is the tension bolt, which in practice, sucks.

Also, from memory, the tapers are a bad angle and it needs to be lubed (something I always do but is otherwise rare) to work at all, and the short length that bears on the inside of the steerer is badly placed; too low IIRC.

I'm reminded of a whole bunch of undercooked me-too internal cable routing in frames that I've come across, which only passed muster because you can't see it. The assumption that a big company employing qualified engineers will necessarily make parts that a bloke on the street couldn't find problems with, is false.

Whether compression plugs have one job that matters or two is a matter of debate. Whether some are absolute crap shouldn't be. I've even seen a rubber sandwich!

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-22-19 at 11:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.