Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paramount RD Cable Housing Guide - What is Material?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 08:32 AM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts

I'm in a bind. I broke half of the RD cable guide on my bike. I've welding capability and materials but can't figure out what material Schwinn (Reynolds?) used for this braze on (RD cable guide).

It's not steel and doesn't appear to be aluminum.

The frame is on the laser welding mount now.

Any insight?
Old 10-10-19, 08:42 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
If you have the year and a couple of photos, it might help.
Old 10-10-19, 08:59 AM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
If you have the year and a couple of photos, it might help.
1975 Paramount

Old 10-10-19, 09:05 AM
cqlink 

Best I can figure is it's manganese/molybdenum steel alloy. Trying to be sure as using the wrong welding rod leads to a number of other problems.
Old 10-10-19, 09:27 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Well we know the frame is Reynolds 531, right? I would THINK they might use the same material to avoid brazing/welding problems. But that's just a guess. Nervex built the lugs, but I'm not sure if they supplied the braze-on bits.
Old 10-10-19, 09:39 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Its brazed on mild steel.

Dont try to weld it, it will only make it worse.

Option 1 to just go ride: Cable clamp onto frame.

Option 2 to fix pretty well: Cut half a circle, and weld internally with mini-mig (aka "zap") and then carefully clean inside and specifically fit the cable housing.

Option 3 restoration: Carefully remove existing stop. Braze on new one from Nova Cycles (or similar). Rechrome frame.
------------------------------------------------
If it was me, I would machine on a lathe a cable stop replica of stainless steel, polish it, and then cut in half.

Then I would carefully "zap" mini-mig weld (hidden internally) to the existing cable stop ABOVE the brazed chrome stay. (this will prevent the existing braze from overheating)

There may be internal burrs (from the tack welds) by doing this, but they will be hidden by design. The intent is to be as non-intrusive as possible, to avoid any heat messing up the original braze or chrome.

Then, the cable housing could be sanded externally as appropriate to fit by the "burrs", and all repairs would be hidden. The color difference between polished stainless repair and 40 year old will be negligible.

------------------------------------

I just came up with another idea: The cable stop doesnt really need to be "split", so you could weld the same polished stainless repair circle along the top, externally. (this should be done with 0.024 stainless wire).
By doing this, you will avoid internal burrs, and can sand and polish the repair on the top.

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 10-10-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-10-19, 11:31 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
I would use a bolt on stop right in front of the broken one, should be able to get it close and hide the broken one first.

If that doesn't work for you, then I would VERY CAREFULLY remove the broken one with a Dremel or the like, then just the bolt on.

OR you could JB weld a ferule to whats left and backstop it with a stainless "zip tie".

Old 10-10-19, 11:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a clamp-on cable guide, as @Reynolds 531 suggests. That's what I'd do if it were my bike.
Old 10-10-19, 11:36 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531

Option 2 to fix pretty well: Cut half a circle, and weld internally with mini-mig (aka "zap") and then carefully clean inside and specifically fit the cable housing.

Option 3 restoration: Carefully remove existing stop. Braze on new one from Nova Cycles (or similar). Rechrome frame.
If it was me, I would machine on a lathe a cable stop replica of stainless steel, polish it, and then cut in half.

Then I would carefully "zap" mini-mig weld (hidden internally) to the existing cable stop ABOVE the brazed chrome stay. (this will prevent the existing braze from overheating)

There may be internal burrs (from the tack welds) by doing this, but they will be hidden by design. The intent is to be as non-intrusive as possible, to avoid any heat messing up the original braze or chrome.

Then, the cable housing could be sanded externally as appropriate to fit by the "burrs", and all repairs would be hidden. The color difference between polished stainless repair and 40 year old will be negligible.

I just came up with another idea: The cable stop doesnt really need to be "split", so you could weld the same polished stainless repair circle along the top, externally. (this should be done with 0.024 stainless wire).
By doing this, you will avoid internal burrs, and can sand and polish the repair on the top.
I was thinking along those lines. 5mm stainless pipe cut to size then silver braze.
Old 10-10-19, 03:14 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts

Photo credit: @randyjawa
Old 10-12-19, 11:16 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by thinktubes

Photo credit: @randyjawa
That may suffice it if Plan A fails. Where did you find that clamp?
Old 10-12-19, 11:23 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
You can't weld or braze onto chrome. It will only make a mess.

Either remove the chrome, which is not an easy job, or just use a clamp on.
Old 10-12-19, 11:24 AM
cqlink 

Found a few Campy versions. $35 for three. Not cheap but I'll try to sell the other two. Thanks for the idea

Old 10-12-19, 11:41 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531

Richard Schwinn and Andy Newlands stepped in. You're right. Mild steel...
-------- Original message --------From: Richard Schwinn gmail richard.waterfordbikes@gmail.comDate: 10/10/19 1:02 PM (GMT-05:00)To: Andy Newlands andy@strawberrybicycle.com,messina57@comcast.netSubject: Re: 531 Braze-Ons - What Material Are TheyHi Mark and Andy,

Split cable stops were produced by Schwinn. They would have been machined at the factory by the millions. Made with a mild steel they on all derailleur bikes for all the reasons we love them today. Up to the mid-70's Schwinn used the Campy cable guide clamps unless requested otherwise, after which they became standard.

Thanks,

Richard

On 10/10/2019 11:05 AM, Andy Newlands wrote: Hi Mark,Thanks for your email. All the braze-on’s I have are mild steel or stainless steel. Can’t say for Paramounts but Richard may be able to enlighten.Best regards,Andy On Oct 10, 2019, at 8:16 AM, mark m <wordpress@www.reynoldstechnology.biz> wrote: From: mark m < messina57@comcast.net>
Subject: 531 Braze-Ons - What Material Are They

Message Body:
Hi,

I broke my RD cable housing braze-on on my 1975 Schwinn Paramount. frame is Reynolds 531. Do you know what the brazed on RD cable guide on the chain stay is made of?

Thanks
Mark

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Reynolds Technology ( https://www.reynoldstechnology.biz)
Andy Newlandsowner/framebuilderandy@strawberrybicycle.comTerra Nova Cycles LLC1535 SW 17th. Ave, Portland, OR 97201 503-224-1215www.strawberrybicycle.comwww.torchandfile.com

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-12-19, 11:43 AM
cqlink 

^^^^

That said, I've just purchased a set of three of the Campy guides/ clamps Richard mentioned. Won't look as clean but I can live with it and it's period correct.

Old 10-12-19, 11:46 AM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
$8.25 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Bic...ss!93722!US!-1

If you prefer Italian.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-...IAAOSwPEhcc1jw