Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Purchase help request: bike type/features

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 10:36 AM
DadBod79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello - new to posting, but I've learned a lot reading many of the forums here - what an incredible resource this is! thanks!

I'm hoping to get some help from experienced riders determining what category of bicycle would best fit my needs and particular features to prioritize, and maybe some common makes/models I should look for on craigslist or facebook. I've been doing tons of reading about different categories (so please know that I'm trying hard not to be "that guy" who comes on a new forum and just demands "tell me what to get". I'm trying hard to put in the work on research!). However, reading articles can only take you so far - there's no replacement for experience. And, of course, articles usually are written with an underlying agenda (selling me new gear, usually).

So, here's the type of biking I see myself doing:
-Most frequently: short rides (1-2 hours) around St. Louis City, usually in flat paved park settings, 2-4 times a month. On streets and on dedicated paved bike paths. For fitness. I want to be able to sustain 12-16 mph to keep my heart rate at 175 or so for calorie burning. Also just want to feel the wind on my face. I want to feel like I'm going fast, but I'm not interested in optimal aerodynamics and weight-saving components, etc. I want to add the components to track my progress with my Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch. I want to seek to beat my personal bests in distance, mileage, time/speed, etc. I like riding solo.
-Occasionally: hop on the bike to run an errand - grocery store or home improvement store. City streets / traffic. I want to be safe in traffic and be able to negotiate potholes and cracks. STL streets kinda suck.
-Occasionally: longer rides for exploration around points of interest. Probably mostly paved, but could include dirt or gravel.
-Occasionally: family bike outings around paved paths at parks.
-Rare but important: I'd like to bike the Katy Trail, a dedicated jogging/cycling trail in Missouri made of crushed limestone. 240 miles long, Very flat. I want to be able to ride for hours and work my way up to 50-60 mile jaunts. Maybe multi-day rides of such. Perhaps a goal to complete the trail start to finish sometime over several days.

I don't ever see myself wanting to bike mountain or forest trails, hopping logs and rocks and stuff. And I don't plan to road race or cyclocross or any group/organized races or training groups. I might occasionally enter a street-based charity ride around STL. Probably not the naked one.

My experience:
-the only adult bike I've ever owned (still own) is a 1980 chromoly steel Fuji Gran Tourer SE 12 speed, 27 in x 1.25 in tires, which I got in high school to bike the Cabot Trail in Canada with my church youth group. We did 750 miles in two weeks in August. One of the best experiences of my life! The bike is in pretty good shape. No frame rust. Some of the components and cables have lost their shine or maybe have some surface rust. It hasn't been ridden in 10-12 years, and it hasn't been tuned up or professionally serviced since 1995. It's been kept in doors.
-I would just tune up this bike and use it, at least until i have a better idea of the type of riding i want to do and the features i wish i had in a new bike - *however*, it's a 49mm frame and I'm 6'0'' (barefoot). From some online calculators and their measurement guides, i figure i need about a 59mm frame for my size.

First Question - am i right to conclude i shouldn't put time/money into a 49mm bike when i need a 59mm (or so) frame? Or does it really matter that much when my goal is to ride 2-4 times a month and this isn't my only/primary hobby? The seat post is long, so it gives me the length to get my knees almost locked at the bottom of the cycle.

Presuming I should get a 59-ish mm bike and given all the above, I think I've narrowed the categories to these choices:
-Gravel bike / all-road bike. I do love the multiple hand positions of a road bike. I'm 6 foot 195 lbs, and I'm terribly inflexible, so I get crampy/sore and like to change around.
-Hybrid bike with drop bar ends installed so i can have multi positions.
-Light-touring bike - something around 32-35mm tires? lower geared. longer wheelbase.
-Endurance/Sportive - 28mm tires for the park riding and buy an extra set of wheels for adventuring and Katy Trail limestone - like 40mm perhaps?

Is there anything else I should consider? Should I rule out any of the above?
Do any bikes come with brake levers at each hand position anymore? My fuji has levers at the flat and at the drop positions. I'm not seeing that on modern bikes. Why? Seems like you'd want to have brakes available quickly in case of emergency.

Features:
-What features should I prioritize? I thought a steel fork for better ride comfort. I would appreciate lower geared setup in case I want to ride the hilly Alton bluffs area. I'm not racing so i don't care about top-end speed.
-I've been kind of hung up on Disc brakes, which is really limiting my selections on the used market. If I'm in traffic, i'd appreciate the stopping power, or if a kid or a wayward jogger or cyclist crosses in front of me on the park paths. Am I overly concerned? I've never used disc brakes. I don't see myself rushing out to bike in inclement weather, but I may get caught in it sometimes.
-What do you think about a road bike (gravel) with drop handles versus a hybrid with drop bar ends? Pretty much the same thing? There are a billionty flat bar hybrids on CL/FB, and bar ends are relatively cheap. It would really open my selections, but I don't know if I'm making a trade-off i may not like.

Maybe the answer is to think longer-term about having two bikes? A 25mm road bike for the paved parks and streets and a flat-bar hybrid with 40-45mm tires for limestone and other light off-road?

Budget:
-I'd like to stay at $300 or less used. I'm having a hard time finding disc brakes, drop bars, and shimano components at that price. It may make it a lot easier if i look at flat bar hybrids with the intent of adding bar ends.
-I get a corporate discount through my employer at Diamondback and Raleigh that gets me around 15-25% off models i care about. I'm looking hard at the Haanjo 2 - disc brakes and drop handles, shimano components. I can get one for $595. I might also have to budget for a defibrillator for my wife after she sees the credit card bill. She sees the $75 Schwinns on facebook and wants me to just get one of those. Heck, maybe I should? Sometimes I get a little too gear-obsessed. I'm sure no one here suffers from that...
-Are there other DB or Raleigh models I should look at?
-I realize the right thing to do is budget in $80-125 for a pro tune-up and cable/pad replacements, etc, if I buy a used bike that isn't near-mint.

-What make/models am I likely to see on FB/CL that fit my criteria? I see lots of Specialized, Giant, Trek. Some Fuji. A lot of Schwinns, but I've read negative things on Schwinn - basically that it's more brand-name than substance now. Maybe that's not accurate, I don't know.

A huge thanks in advance to anyone here who offers any small or large contribution to this thread. I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 10-12-19, 01:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Small contribution:
  • Definitely get a different bike. At 5'5", my 50cm frame was cramped and I needed a stem swap to make it comfortable - you will find yourself far less sore and crampy riding a bike that actually fits.
  • IMO, the Diamondback Haanjo 2 would be a fine choice. You could put different tires on it for road and off-road use, and it seems built properly for surviving the occasional lock-up at a shop.
  • The modern Schwinns are probably not going to be the best choice; lower-end parts to not stay tuned up as well, which adds expense and frustration. Older "vintage" Schwinns probably do not have the tire clearance you want.
  • A used hybrid or even a fully rigid MTB might be fine for your purposes (some of the 90s steel MTBs are great little machines - I love my Trek 930). The question is whether it would be any savings over what you actually want - after paying for a tuneup, bar ends, and possibly new tires and saddle.
Old 10-12-19, 01:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Unless you are a mouse, you might look at frame sizes in centimeters rather than millimeters.

Before I "knew better", I rode my old Colnago Super on the Katy Trail many times. 23mm or 25mm road tires).

I could always feel the resistance of riding on the packed limestone, but never felt a problem using the road tires. The only issue was riding just after freshly melted snow when everything was spongy wet.
  • 49cm frame is just too small for a 6' person.
    Somewhere from 56 to 60cm would be good, depending on your desires.
  • If you like "Vintage", there are plenty of vintage "touring" bikes that would be good bases for project bikes.
  • Look at the cyclocross bikes for good gravel/road.
    There is also a growing group of "endurance" road bikes capable of taking 28mm to 35mm tires that would be worth considering.
  • On a budget, there are a few high quality hybrid bikes. I've done a drop bar conversion of a hybrid that is a sturdy bike, and takes moderate size tires. Mine is a used Jamis Coda with double-butted 520 steel frame and a rigid fork.
Old 10-12-19, 03:11 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
At $300, I'd lean toward a used flat bar bike. They tend to be less expensive for similar quality components than a road bike. You might be able to find an older CX bike with cantilever brakes for around that price range, used.

If you tell us where you live we might be able to find some used options. Some folks here love shopping with other people's money. Not me, of course.
Old 10-12-19, 04:27 PM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
At $300, I'd lean toward a used flat bar bike. They tend to be less expensive for similar quality components than a road bike. You might be able to find an older CX bike with cantilever brakes for around that price range, used.

If you tell us where you live we might be able to find some used options. Some folks here love shopping with other people's money. Not me, of course.
Live in St Louis, thanks!

I was staying away from cyclocross bikes Bc I thought I may want to add carry racks at some point for day long rides.
Old 10-12-19, 04:46 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by DadBod79
Live in St Louis, thanks!

I was staying away from cyclocross bikes Bc I thought I may want to add carry racks at some point for day long rides.
Yes, sorry, you did say St Louis in your OP.

Some older cx bikes will have eyelets for racks. But even if they didn't there are ways around it.
Old 10-12-19, 04:57 PM
mcours2006

Just took a glance at the St Louis CL at used bikes, and man, slim pickings and over priced. But here's one that might work. It's a size M.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/d...984626494.html
Old 10-12-19, 05:03 PM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking for something bigger. 22-23 in frame, 33 in stand over.

Glad to know it's not just me thinking its slim pickings!
Old 10-12-19, 05:07 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Yes, sorry, you did say St Louis in your OP.

Some older cx bikes will have eyelets for racks. But even if they didn't there are ways around it.
Yep, I had an older Tricross. Got it cheap, but needing some repairs. Eyelets & upper rack mounts for front and rear racks, and it did quite well with a rack.

Unfortunately, eventually that bike got stolen.

My Jamis Coda (Hybrid Conversion to drop bars), 520 steel.. is a solid, tight bike (at least the frame is).
Old 10-12-19, 05:08 PM
CliffordK

Oh, if you're on a budget, and can do some of your own work... also consider www.bikesdirect.com

They've got a variety, may with good prices.
Old 10-12-19, 09:35 PM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Boy, looking at the Tommaso Sentiero, it's really hard not to take that over the DB Haanjo. It seems to me to be very similar...drop handles, wide tires, disc brakes, and shimano claris systems, except for $55 more, I can get the Tommaso with the 3-crank Claris giving me 8 more speeds than the DB with the 2-crank Claris.

How is Tommaso? I read that they make a lot of their own components -- pretty vertically integrated business model. Do they do a good job with their homemade components? Any tommaso fans or haters out there?

BikesDirect seems similar to DB, Raleigh, Tommaso in the direct-to-consumer space. I recognize the "Motobecane" brand, but I assume like the other BD brands, it's not what it once was. Doesn't mean it's not quality/value though.

I can order the tommaso thru Amazon and get assembly and fitting, at my door, for $50 thru Velofix. Anyone used them?
Old 10-12-19, 10:55 PM
CliffordK

BikesDirect seems similar to DB, Raleigh, Tommaso in the direct-to-consumer space. I recognize the "Motobecane" brand, but I assume like the other BD brands, it's not what it once was. Doesn't mean it's not quality/value though.
As far as I can tell, Bikes Direct picked up expired trademarks. So, several of their house brands (Motobecane, Windsor, Mercier, etc) have absolutely zero connection to the former companies. (Raleigh, Schwinn, etc, have substantially changed, but there is at least a thin thread back to the original company).

Approach Bikes Direct with a fair amount of skepticism, but at least some of their bikes appear to be solidly designed.

However, expect a $300 Bikes Direct bike to be, well, a $300 bike.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-13-19, 07:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Just popping in to say that 3x8 isnt 8 more gears than 2x8. Mathematically yes its 8 more, but practically speaking it isnt. You arent going to use some of the gearing combos on a 3x8 and others are redundant, so they effectively arent gearing combinations to consider.

Not saying 3x8 is bad though. Both 2x and 3x have benefits in my view.
Old 10-13-19, 08:23 AM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just popping in to say that 3x8 isnt 8 more gears than 2x8. Mathematically yes its 8 more, but practically speaking it isnt. You arent going to use some of the gearing combos on a 3x8 and others are redundant, so they effectively arent gearing combinations to consider.

Not saying 3x8 is bad though. Both 2x and 3x have benefits in my view.
Interesting, I'd love to get your thoughts on the differences/benefits of each when you have time.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-19, 08:49 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've got a Diamondback Haanjo Metro, which is a flat bar version of the Haanjo 2. And a friend of mine has the Haanjo 2. It's certainly a quality bike. I use it for almost exactly the kinds of riding that you describe. I'd say that it can go anywhere except trails that are designed to be difficult for MTB'ers. I'm not saying you have to buy that exact bike, but I think something of similar quality would be great. If you already know that you like drop bars, you're ahead of most folks trying to choose a new bike.

I love the wider tires on all surfaces, including pavement. Roads aren't getting any smoother in the midwest, and it doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing speed.

The cheapest route is to get one of those $75 schwinns in your size, and transfer the parts from your existing bike. You're lucky if you're tall, because the taller bikes are harder to sell. A lot of people (myself included) bought the wrong size long ago.
Old 10-13-19, 09:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Bikes have changed a lot since your last one (or even my '06 road bike). You may want to visit a shop to test ride some road, hybrid, etc. type bikes to see which you might like now. Geometry has changed somewhat, as has technology. I wouldn't worry an awful lot about disc vs rim brakes, unless you're riding in inclement weather, or flying down hills, as modern brake pads, as well as some brakes, are lots better than on your 80's bike. And the right size tire run at less than max pressure may soak up some of the bumps (assuming the bike can fit wider tires which you can run at lower pressure-making fork mat'l. less important). First things first--try some different types of bikes--that way you'll know what type to start looking for--and best o'luck! I've been thinking of adding a hybrid, but haven't much luck either finding a good used one with specs I want--thinking if I do add one, that I'll have to go with new.
Old 10-17-19, 07:25 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I live just across the river over in Belleville, Illinois. I've ridden the Katy Trail many times including going end-to-end 9 times.

-- The Katy isn't perfectly flat. Once you are southwest of Boonville it's a little hilly with long 3-4% climbs in places. You'll want some lower gears.

-- I've used two bikes with both with 700x32 tires on the Katy. They were more than adequate and I weigh around 215 lbs. The smallest that I'd go for any long distances on the Katy would be 700x28s. I've ridden 700x25s for shorter distances, but it wasn't comfortable nor did I feel confident on the crushed limestone surface a lot of times.

-- A hybrid bike is just about perfect for the Katy. Better yet would be a flat bar bike that doesn't have suspension. One of my past bikes was a Windsor Tourist from BikeDirect.com. It has eyelets for touring racks. I didn't like the cantilever brakes all that much but is was a good all around bike. I gave it to my son.

-- Your idea of getting two bikes could be a good idea. Heck I have 5 bikes and that's after giving one to my son!
Old 10-17-19, 09:23 PM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I live just across the river over in Belleville, Illinois. I've ridden the Katy Trail many times including going end-to-end 9 times.

-- The Katy isn't perfectly flat. Once you are southwest of Boonville it's a little hilly with long 3-4% climbs in places. You'll want some lower gears.

-- I've used two bikes with both with 700x32 tires on the Katy. They were more than adequate and I weigh around 215 lbs. The smallest that I'd go for any long distances on the Katy would be 700x28s. I've ridden 700x25s for shorter distances, but it wasn't comfortable nor did I feel confident on the crushed limestone surface a lot of times.

-- A hybrid bike is just about perfect for the Katy. Better yet would be a flat bar bike that doesn't have suspension. One of my past bikes was a Windsor Tourist from BikeDirect.com. It has eyelets for touring racks. I didn't like the cantilever brakes all that much but is was a good all around bike. I gave it to my son.

-- Your idea of getting two bikes could be a good idea. Heck I have 5 bikes and that's after giving one to my son!
wow, congrats on the extensive katy trail exploration! sounds awesome.

you're recommending a flat bar bike, which I've been considering - given that it's much more prevalent and therefore cheaper, and I can add bar ends and bullhorns, etc.
Old 10-17-19, 09:30 PM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
On the other hand ... there's this:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/d...999284231.html

It's originally this: specs --->

Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes | Cyclocross | Cross Bicycles by Motobecane USA | Motobecane Fantom CX Cyclocross | Save up to 60% off New bikes with full warranties

Thoughts on the deal? I've already been offered $175, and i think i might be able to talk them down to $150. $175 came pretty easy.

The paint is scratched up in places, but i don't care about aesthetics. It seems like an inexpensive way to get wide range of gears based on integrated shimano sora system with triple cranks!

Here's the rub: it's a 56 cm, and according to the chart, i should get a 58. My goal is to ride this for a few months, decide how much i like it, use it to learn to tool on my own ride, and then try to sell it for nearly what i paid --- and then use all that knowledge to invest in something new/better with more confidence based on the knowledge of how/where i ride and what i prefer.

Thoughts?

thanks!
Old 10-18-19, 02:56 AM
andyto2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im not sure about that deal.

All i can add for you is that it is possible to get a cyclocross/gravel bike with brake levers on the flate and curved part of drop bars. I'm guessing you would be more comfortable with the levers on the flat part since youre considering riding a bike that is too small for you
Old 10-18-19, 06:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes | Cyclocross | Cross Bicycles by Motobecane USA | Motobecane Fantom CX Cyclocross | Save up to 60% off New bikes with full warranties

Thoughts on the deal? I've already been offered $175, and i think i might be able to talk them down to $150. $175 came pretty easy.

The paint is scratched up in places, but i don't care about aesthetics. It seems like an inexpensive way to get wide range of gears based on integrated shimano sora system with triple cranks!

Here's the rub: it's a 56 cm, and according to the chart, i should get a 58. My goal is to ride this for a few months, decide how much i like it, use it to learn to tool on my own ride, and then try to sell it for nearly what i paid --- and then use all that knowledge to invest in something new/better with more confidence based on the knowledge of how/where i ride and what i prefer.

Thoughts?

thanks!
It looks like a solid deal. Most riders can comfortably span several sizes. At 5'11" I have comfortably ridden 55-58s. You should easily be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Do it.
Old 10-18-19, 05:52 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Thoughts?

thanks!
One thing that doesn't add up is the tires/wheels. The Craigslist add says 27" while the BikesDirect says 700c. 27" are an old American standard and are difficult to find compared the the more universal 700c wheels. If it has 700c wheels; in otherwise good shape; and, most importantly, somewhat fits you, it's a good price.
Old 10-18-19, 08:40 PM
DadBod79

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK - I couldn't wait any longer. I didn't get that cyclocross bike - i couldn't bring myself to invest in a frame that wasn't quite my size.

I abandoned the road bars and embraced the hybrid idea, and got a 2018 Specialized Sirrus Sport, used, barely ridden, $400.

Tektro Hydraulic brakes
18 speed with rear Shimano Sora on Shimano cassette
Alum frame
Carbon fork

Here are the specs:
https://www.northwestcycles.net/7588...e-in-grey.aspx

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...225852-154511#

Pretty excited!

Now, how do i work this thing?

Last edited by DadBod79; 10-18-19 at 08:46 PM.
Likes For DadBod79: