Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Soft and dry Brooks seat

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Soft and dry Brooks seat

Old 06-10-18, 12:01 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,373 Posts
Soft and dry Brooks seat

I purchased a Raleigh Super Course with what appears to be the original seat.
Seat was both dry and soft (supple). If I pushed it with a finger the leather would flex. I had always thought that Brooks seats were somewhat stiff. I applied some proofide because the bike had sat for at least 15 years. I used two coats and perhaps that was a little heavy.

My questions:

1) Can I/should I stain or dye a scuff to the leather top? The scuff probably just looks bad but again, just want to be sure it's not something I shouldn't miss?

2) Should I coat the underside or just leave as is? The rust under there is very light, was going to try to buff it out.

3) I have not touched the tensioner screw. The seat does sag downwards slightly when I push lightly on it with a finger. I haven't ridden yet because I want be sure that it is normal for that sag to be there and am concerned that I might tear the leather or stretch it.

Dry leather scuff on right rear top side

Do I put "anything" under the seat to preserve it??

Seat now. scuff still shows, can I do anything for it (dye?)?
Likes For WGB:
Old 06-10-18, 12:11 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Cuttle bone is a gentle way to go at scuffs.

Underside will absorb much more emollient than top.

Dye comes out on clothing.

​​​​​​​-----
Old 06-10-18, 12:35 PM
WGB 
WGB

Sorry - never heard of Cuttle bone (what is it, where do I get it?)

Also do you mean I should I put proofide on the underside? I have since found a Youtube video showing someone that, just want to be sure. Lastly I have added a photo showing bolt position which is fully forward. Should I tighten it a turn? I dabbed on PB Blaster on threads incase I have to loosen it because it has sat for so long....
Old 06-10-18, 12:45 PM
juvela

-----

Cuttle bone comes from cuttle fish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

It is sold through the pet trade for pet birds to use to groom their beaks.

If your local grocery has a pet section they may have it on display.

Bolt/nut in this position because it is the way the come from the factory.

Evidently previous owner never touched it.

If saddle soft it could probably be taken up a bit to preserve tension; you do not want to stretch the top, just take up any looseness.

​​​​​​​-----
Old 06-10-18, 01:17 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Thread moved to C&V.

Old 06-10-18, 01:22 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
If the appearance of the scuff bothers, a Sharpie, brown crayon, small bit of black shoe polish would disguise it. I just ride mine as is. You're not wearing white right? You've already applied Proofide so I would take it for a ride. It may be perfectly comfortable as is and could be why it has never been tensioned any further.
Whether you do the bottom is up to you, but you might find it nigh impossible to get into the furthest nooks and crannies without drowning your saddle in the stuff.
What I want to know is what year Raliegh you have. I believe older saddles don't have date stamps on their cantles and I have an old cantle with the same saddle bag eyelets as yours and don't know what years these were used.
Old 06-10-18, 01:46 PM
WGB 
WGB

bertinjim ran serial through and so appears a 1974

WC 4000864 W = Worksop built G = May 4 = 1974 000864 = production sequence number
Old 06-10-18, 02:10 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
I have had good results using a Kiwi product "Scuff Coat" to restore the surface of old leather saddles. Don
edit: Misremembered, it's called "Scuff Cover", black & brown work well, haven't tried the white. Here's a link
https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-8529-Scu...ff+cover+brown

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 06-10-18 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-10-18, 02:44 PM
WGB 
WGB

I should add that the only markings I found beyond the name plate were the letters WAJ stamped on the underside with dye.
Old 06-10-18, 02:52 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
I think you’re saddle looks great as is! The scuffs on it should go well with a bike the age of yours. I have a 1975 Raleigh International that I bought used and it came with a Brooks B17 narrow saddle on it. Unbeknownst to me, someone used shoe polish on it and it all came off on my pants. It all came out in the wash (I didn’t think it would). Still, I’m not sure how I’ll get the rest of the shoe polish off of the saddle as I’m not prepared to risk another pair of pants. I love this saddle but I can’t use it. I wish the saddle scuffs had just been left alone. Just my experience.
Old 06-10-18, 02:57 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by WGB
I should add that the only markings I found beyond the name plate were the letters WAJ stamped on the underside with dye.
-----

The underside of the cantle appears to be stamped "MADE IN ENGLAND." Sometimes there is a date in this area as well.

The underside of the top also has the marking K A G[?].

​​​​​​​-----
Old 06-10-18, 03:03 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
If you want to get a smooth effect where that scuff is, lightly dampen down that small area, let the moisture absorb into the fibres for a few minutes and then work the area to a smooth surface.
Rub the dampened fibres vigorously and the fibres will pack down smooth. Finish with a light rub of Proofide over that small area.
I use a bookbinding 'bone', but the back of a spoon would be adequate for that spot.

Do a search on 'leather slicking' or 'leather burnishing' and you will see the technique.

And update this thread with your results.
Likes For Big Block:
Old 06-10-18, 03:07 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Brooks makes Proofide to restore/ condition the underside . Directions say not to use it on top side. Great results but a bit pricey . I've had success with Lexol leather conditioner as well . Lexol is cheaper and Wal-Mart carries it . As mentioned, Kiwi works well on scuffs.
Old 06-10-18, 03:20 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
Brooks makes Proofide to restore/ condition the underside . Directions say not to use it on top side. Great results but a bit pricey . I've had success with Lexol leather conditioner as well . Lexol is cheaper and Wal-Mart carries it . As mentioned, Kiwi works well on scuffs.
Brooks has a page on the maintenance of their saddles. Saddle Maintenance and Care
HOW DO I DETERMINE WHETHER I HAVE THE CORRECT LEVEL OF TENSION IN MY BROOKS SADDLE?
Your saddle tension should have been correctly set by Brooks during manufacture. This tension should be good for the first six months that you own the saddle.
Brooks recommend that you inspect your saddle after every six months; there are two guidelines to help you decide whether, or not, to add more tension: -
The aim is to maintain a fairly flat profile on the leather, when viewed from the side, just like when it was new.
To increase the tension, you should turn the Tension Pin nut so that it moves towards the rear of the saddle (when viewed from the front of the saddle, this will be a clockwise turn on the spanner). This will retighten the leather and ‘’pull up’’ any sagging.
Normally just between ¼ and one complete spanner rotation should be sufficient to correct the tension issue. You need also to wary of over-tensioning*; Imagine that the leather is like the hamstring of a professional athlete; adding too much tension in any one adjustment period will pull, and may even tear, the inner fibres of the leather.
(*This is especially prevalent on saddles that use the Allen Key adjuster.)
Never adjust a wet saddle .

HOW OFTEN SHOULD I APPLY PROOFIDE TO MY BROOKS SADDLE?
The primary function of Brooks Proofide is to nourish the leather to keep it supple and to prevent it from drying out with age. With this in mind, it is generally not necessary to apply Proofide to a new saddle. Instead, it is recommended to apply it after every 6 months.
Proofide should be applied sparingly to the upper surface of the leather using just enough to cover the entire upper surface area. This should then be left on the leather for several hours (perhaps overnight) in order to allow penetration through into the inner fibres, before buffing off thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Some Brooks saddle owners use Proofide for two further purposes:
a/ If the saddle is giving excessive discomfort after some time of use, then Proofide will soften the leather and hence encourage it to break-in more readily
b/ If riding regularly over wet surfaces (especially if you bicycle does not have mudguards), then a coating of Proofide applied and left onto the underside of the leather will offer some moisture shielding to the leather
HOWEVER , in both of these two cases, it is very important to be mindful of the irreversible damage that can result from excessive application of Proofide. There is a risk that the leather will over soften and then no longer be able to support the rider’s weight.
Proofide is a tried and trusted product, the ingredients of which are all know to Brooks. This is the only dressing, therefore, that we can endorse for use on a Brooks leather product. The use of any other product is frowned upon and will also jeopardize your warranty rights.
The tin of Proofide should last for many years if you use it in accordance with the instructions. If you are feel that the tin is too small/expensive then you are using far too much and are damaging the leather.

Last edited by Big Block; 06-10-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 12:23 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Riding the saddle will burnish it nicely; especially if you ride in cotton pants. Apart from a little Proofide, don't really need to go for goops and colors.

​​​​​​​ If it feels soft and saggy, I would definitely give the tension screw a few turns. Unless you like it soft and saggy; some people do.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-12-18, 01:43 PM
WGB 
WGB

Big block

I will be seeing bertinjim tomorrow morning and getting a 2nd opinion before I go a step further. In the past my enthusiasms have cost me dearly so trying to think before I jump...
Old 06-13-18, 02:47 PM
WGB 
WGB

Juvela - You were right KAG Not WAJ (not sure where that came from)

Big Block - I showed the seat to bertinjim who felt that while bolt could be turned to add tension but I should just ride it.

The small cracks to the seat appear to just be on the surface but will watch carefully. I applied PB Blaster to rag them rubbed the seat bolt so hopefully nut will move easily.

Will give it a whirl and report back
Old 07-20-19, 12:52 PM
optimusprime8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a company that will restore these old saddles?
Old 07-20-19, 04:26 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Our own RHM on BF works with saddles which need new tops.
Old 07-21-19, 05:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I think you’re saddle looks great as is! The scuffs on it should go well with a bike the age of yours. I have a 1975 Raleigh International that I bought used and it came with a Brooks B17 narrow saddle on it. Unbeknownst to me, someone used shoe polish on it and it all came off on my pants. It all came out in the wash (I didn’t think it would). Still, I’m not sure how I’ll get the rest of the shoe polish off of the saddle as I’m not prepared to risk another pair of pants. I love this saddle but I can’t use it. I wish the saddle scuffs had just been left alone. Just my experience.
I know this is an OLD post but someone else may have the same problem and hopefully this can help them. Years ago I had a Wright saddle that was staining my pants. I bought a small cheap knit stocking cap and stretched it over the saddle with a piece of light colored cloth under it. I'd check the condition of the cloth periodically and change it every so often until it quit showing signs of dye then I removed the stocking cap and cloth for good.
Old 07-21-19, 10:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
If it feels soft and saggy, I would definitely give the tension screw a few turns.
Wrong forum.

Unless you like it soft and saggy; some people do.
Hmm... Ok, that's just wrong.

How 'bout lacin' the skirts?! It's easy, and it looks sooo hot!

Use a sharpie to mark the four (or more) holes, a little drill bit, lace from a dress shoe, and pull it real tight like I know you want it!

Old 07-23-19, 02:58 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Riding the saddle will burnish it nicely; especially if you ride in cotton pants. Apart from a little Proofide, don't really need to go for goops and colors.

If it feels soft and saggy, I would definitely give the tension screw a few turns. Unless you like it soft and saggy; some people do.
If you are going to tighten the screw, I would ride it a few times to make sure you know how it feels at first. Then I would only tighten it a quarter turn at a time, riding it enough to again know what the effect was. I’d also keep an eagle eye on the leather around the rivets. If anything is going to tear it’s probably near a rivet.