Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

California Senate bill 127 for safer bicycling

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 01-30-19, 12:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

(I know this is technically politics but hopefully is uncontroversial in this context and acceptable here. If not, please delete post and I apologize.)

Bill Text - SB-127 Transportation funding: active transportation: complete streets.

Search for "California Senate bill 127 transportation funding" for more into. Supported by California Bicycle Coalition (CalBike) and Adventure Cycling association.

Last edited by tyrion; 01-30-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 03:08 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
"automobile delay shall not be used as a performance measure."

count me in.
Old 01-31-19, 07:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
(I know this is technically politics but hopefully is uncontroversial in this context and acceptable here. If not, please delete post and I apologize.)

Bill Text - SB-127 Transportation funding: active transportation: complete streets.

Search for "California Senate bill 127 transportation funding" for more into. Supported by California Bicycle Coalition (CalBike) and Adventure Cycling association.
Is it now the standard to apologize to be a messenger?
Old 01-31-19, 08:02 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Sorry, reading that sort of document puts me to sleep. Can anyone provide a synopsis and let me know how this is going to effect me? From what I can tell it's going to provide more bike lanes and places to lock my bike(?)
Old 01-31-19, 08:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
The bill would require the department to establish a project development team for each project, as specified.
More project development teams! Excellent.

The bill would require, until January 1, 2021, or by which time the department can demonstrate that it has met these requirements, the department to use 3% of State Highway Operation and Protection Program funds from the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Account for bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
More funds "for bicycle and pedestrian fatalities", though it doesn't specify whether the money will be spent preventing them or causing them. A relatively minor detail. As long as we get the project development teams, as promised, I have complete faith that they will do ... whatever project development teams do.
Old 01-31-19, 10:48 AM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
More project development teams! Excellent.

More funds "for bicycle and pedestrian fatalities", though it doesn't specify whether the money will be spent preventing them or causing them.
I vote for prevention.
Old 01-31-19, 10:49 AM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Is it now the standard to apologize to be a messenger?
I was conditionally apologizing for possibly breaking the rule against political posting.
Old 01-31-19, 11:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Sorry, reading that sort of document puts me to sleep. Can anyone provide a synopsis and let me know how this is going to effect me? From what I can tell it's going to provide more bike lanes and places to lock my bike(?)
There is a synopsis. It's called the Legislative Counsel's Digest. It's right at the top of the bill and it summarizes existing law on topic and how this bill would change it. How it affects you, only you can know that.
Old 01-31-19, 11:06 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
"automobile delay shall not be used as a performance measure."
While there are good ideas within the proposal things like this scare me. Beware the self-anointed whose sole purpose is to force the rest of us to conform to their ideals. Sooner or later they will demand you conform to something you won't be too keen on.
West
Old 01-31-19, 12:42 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

such as another freeway (expansion)...or carbon.
Old 01-31-19, 03:38 PM
2seven0

Well I take 2 freeways on my commute to/from work and in the last 40 years both have been expanded. The population has also got up a bit. The basic infrastructure needed to support society is different from the "social engineering" projects designed to alter people's lifestyles. Perfect example imagine how many streets could be widened, bike lanes added (or made continuous) and bike paths built or extended with the money being wasted on the High Speed Rail project.
Old 01-31-19, 04:24 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
I also spent 40 years driving from Seal Beach to LAX and vicinity. I remember when the 105 was opened and it was such a great thing... until everyone started using it. Expansion of our roads i.e. adding lanes will do nothing to alleviate the overcrowding on our roads. Widening a freeway is like giving an alcoholic a bigger bottle.
Old 01-31-19, 04:36 PM
2seven0

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
such as another freeway (expansion)...or carbon.
I need to add that my original response on this thread was not intended as a rebuttal to or a dig against your post as it may have seemed. I was responding to the statement cited in the bill, not your reply which is why I didn't include it in the quote.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
West
Old 01-31-19, 05:10 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
State highways, many of which go through cities in california and tend to get neglected for people not in cars because the department considers that a local problem. PCH in Long Beach has lanes only where it was a no brainer, so it starts and stops. Most dangerous sections get no attention at all. Backwards.
Old 01-31-19, 08:01 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Seems kind of vague in its intent, not very well written. It states the need to factor in the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians (and other non-mtorized transport), and to accommodate those methods of transportation, it says its to be done on state highways. Does that mean accomodations for bicyclist who want to use the 405 freeway through Orange County, L.A.'s South bay area, the West Side, or other similar state rroads? Garden Grove Freeway, Ortega Highway, etc? And what will be acceptable accommodation: a stripped bike lane on the shoulder, a separate lane with a curb, maybe an elevated bike lane above the highway? Seems like it wasn't thoroughly analized before being submitted to the State Senate.
Old 02-01-19, 04:16 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by 2seven0
I need to add that my original response on this thread was not intended as a rebuttal to or a dig against your post as it may have seemed. I was responding to the statement cited in the bill, not your reply which is why I didn't include it in the quote.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
West
no sweat no bad. los angeles is the 800 lb gorilla in terms of vehicular hegemony. just happy to see that there are potentially significant thought processes involved regarding
other forms of low-tech transportation vs just resubscribing to the same old. i wouldn't say that i'm not appreciative of the particular automotive sway/influence that socal has
exerted for the last seven plus decades. i am and i understand it. time tho for other voices to be heard, believed, planned for and valued vs being summarily dismissed because...
well...cars. the la basin has been full for quite some time. as neighborhoods start to reemerge, so should "small" transportation. the days of living in long beach and driving up to hollywood
for lunch, then over to santa monica/wilshire district for shopping or museums, then down to palos verdes to catch the sunset are (generally) long gone. the new model needs to imagine
freeways still conveying (hundreds of) thousands of people daily but also light rail, subways, buses, bike lanes, ped corridors, scooters to either connect people to that destination
or get them closer. automobiles are both the solution and the problem but are no longer (and should not be) the only factor in the equation.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-01-19 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 08:16 AM
2seven0

Agree completely. As you probably guessed I'm slightly libertarian in thinking when it comes to govt. The means & resources already exist to fix many of the existing problems. Provide money for local jurisdictions to make improvements as needed. Start with the obvious low-hanging fruit by maintaining roads that are badly in need of repair. Spending tax money as it was intended on infrastructure and fix & improve problem areas first.
Yeah we used to leave school at 3 to hit OCIR on Wed. nights we could make it in 20 minutes from Anaheim without even speeding!
Old 02-02-19, 10:02 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I also spent 40 years driving from Seal Beach to LAX and vicinity. I remember when the 105 was opened and it was such a great thing... until everyone started using it. Expansion of our roads i.e. adding lanes will do nothing to alleviate the overcrowding on our roads. Widening a freeway is like giving an alcoholic a bigger bottle.
Totally agree. So small minded.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-06-19, 11:50 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Somebody needs to introduce CalTrans to the concept of "induced demand"... and maybe take a look at that 24? lane freeway in Houston to see what adding more lanes does to traffic.