Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

Old 04-03-19, 11:06 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Well @Road Fan you got some 'splaining to do. I search the Members List for Portlander Vixen, then even googled the name.

Could that be the name of your Bike? Are you one of those velosexuals ?
don't ask, don't tell.
Old 04-03-19, 08:05 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I suppose it may have been a while, but you found the right one. A lot of good posts on vintage bikes, as I recall, maybe not so much in 50+.

How about Solveg?
I miss Solveg's posts, and Tom Bombadill always had something interesting to say, too. Easthill in another member I miss, but I know the background on her leaving, I don't blame her for heading elsewhere, but the other party is still active, and gets up in a lather like a little kid, when someone brings up the foolishness they started and caused a good member to head out.

There were many people that helped me out when I first joined up here. Denver, Stapfam, Jim from Boston, Jim Mueller, Easthill, Miss Kenton, the various Diegos, and a host of others, all got me off to a good start here. I had some great mentors when I joined up, everyone here was supportive and encouraging to me. All my health issues were weighing on me big time, and the positive tone here kept me going.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-09-19, 09:01 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I miss Solveg's posts, and ... the positive tone here kept me going.

Bill
Hey Bill! I stopped to poke around and saw this thread. Hope you are doing well. All going pretty well for me. My wife retired over the summer and we've been traveling in the west and plan to do a lot more. I recently became a full member of the local search & rescue team and have already been on some really interesting missions. Haven't ridden for a while, but getting the urge. Need to spend some time in the shed first though. Message me if you ever got on Facebook. I post lots of pictures of our dog, sunsets and camping trips. Gary
Old 04-09-19, 10:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
So, @Road Fan, I owe you an apology. The name velovixen sure sounds alluring, and I looked (her) up on the Members List…only one post in 2010! Well, if that’s your type.

I think @Road Fan might have meant Velocivixen...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-09-19, 11:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I miss Solveg's posts, and Tom Bombadill always had something interesting to say, too. Easthill in another member I miss, but I know the background on her leaving, I don't blame her for heading elsewhere, but the other party is still active, and gets up in a lather like a little kid, when someone brings up the foolishness they started and caused a good member to head out.

There were many people that helped me out when I first joined up here. Denver, Stapfam, Jim from Boston, Jim Mueller, Easthill, Miss Kenton, the various Diegos, and a host of others, all got me off to a good start here. I had some great mentors when I joined up, everyone here was supportive and encouraging to me. All my health issues were weighing on me big time, and the positive tone here kept me going.

Bill
I still miss East Hill, it wasn't just under my avatar.
Old 04-10-19, 07:07 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I don’t know the whole story of Easthill, not even sure I know part of it, just some events around the timeframe of her departure from here. I do know she seems like a good person and rides some of the same geography I knew when I was younger.

There are others I recall as well at various times. People, myself as well, drift away from interest groups and sometimes cycle back around eventually as life events happen.
Old 04-10-19, 07:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...Easthill in another member I miss, but I know the background on her leaving, I don't blame her for heading elsewhere, but the other party is still active, and gets up in a lather like a little kid, when someone brings up the foolishness they started and caused a good member to head out.

Bill
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I still miss East Hill, it wasn't just under my avatar.
Originally Posted by treebound
I don’t know the whole story of Easthill, not even sure I know part of it, just some events around the timeframe of her departure from here. I do know she seems like a good person and rides some of the same geography I knew when I was younger.

There are others I recall as well at various times. People, myself as well, drift away from interest groups and sometimes cycle back around eventually as life events happen.
I didn’t really know East Hill, but I have fond memory from 2008, in reply to my Introductory Post, which I related to @Rollfast in 2015:
Thanks for your reply; I guess it's not a Forum problem, and I can work around it.

BTW, I note your tag line, "I STILL miss East Hill ". When I sent my first post, my cycling biography, "Hello to this Forum from Boston" to BF as an Introduction, East Hill replied,
Originally Posted by East Hill
Hi Jim, it sounds as if you never let go of your love of cycling! Glad to have you here to contribute .

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator
I thought to myself, "What a nice (lady)."

I also noted (her) signature Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?”. When I joined BF back in 2008, I had just learned of Sheldon Brown from his obituary in the Boson Globe. I had been an active cyclist in Boston since 1977, and never heard of him.

In fact I had cycled several times past his shop, Harris Cyclery, and never even noticed it.
Old 04-10-19, 08:07 PM
Jim from Boston

I miss Solveg's posts, and Tom Bombadill always had something interesting to say, too.

Easthill in another member I miss, but I know the background on her leaving, I don't blame her for heading elsewhere, but the other party is still active, and gets up in a lather like a little kid, when someone brings up the foolishness they started and caused a good member to head out.

There were many people that helped me out when I first joined up here. Denver, Stapfam, Jim from Boston, Jim Mueller, Easthill, Miss Kenton, the various Diegos, and a host of others, all got me off to a good start here.

I had some great mentors when I joined up, everyone here was supportive and encouraging to me. All my health issues were weighing on me big time, and the positive tone here kept me going.
Originally Posted by treebound
...There are others I recall as well at various times. People, myself as well, drift away from interest groups and sometimes cycle back around eventually as life events happen.
To further this “Auld Lang Syne,” a few totems of Fifty-Plus are (were), Pie Rides, Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, and Club Tombay. On this thread, "What is Club Tombay," I reminisced with, and disputed @qcpmsame ‘s recollections:
Jim,

I was only a few months ahead of you in joining here, most of the "regulars" then aren't posting, or participating much at all, here. Beverly comes round every so often, she is into FB so she can interact with her grandkids, Tom Bombadil hasn't been here in a quite a while, save a one time appearance about a year ago,

East Hill got fed up with some of the P&R crap, one guy in particular was very rude, and got personal about her moderator actions, Solvang has not been here in quite a while, either.

Denver had an argument and dust up a few months ago, and he got banned, Weak Link, I won't go there about that situation, and there are several others that were here and very active.

Some when to the Master's Racing Forum, when it split off a few years ago, and some are just pretty much P&R people that like that sort of thng, even a few Road Cycling regulars have moved from our group here, into that forum's discussions.

Stapfam got fed up, I swap emails with him, and he is on FB, as well.

Miss Kenton is infrequent, as she is busy with life things, but she is here and reads a lot. And I know you have had the pleasure of riding with them a few times, lucky thing for all of you to meet up with each other, to me. We got to meet her and Mr. Miss Kenton, last November, wen they were here to have the holiday with her son and daughter-in-law, while he was in Nav training at NAS Pensacola.

RetroGrouch is still a regular, he stuck it out after he had the bad crash, You are someone I see and read posts from, Dudelsack comes around a little from time to time, a few others are from back in that time period from my first recollections.

Not everyone has moved away, just some people that stick out to me.

I agree that we have regulars here, now, just that it is a different place from when I first joined, sorry if that seems wrong to anyone. Maybe its me that needs to get away for a while, as it seems to be changing more rapidly, and not always for the good.

End of my explanation as to why I felt that way about this topic.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that gracious and informative reply. You certainly are a maven of this Forum. I at least recognize all of the names, actively read some, and have corresponded with a few.

I don’t recall seeing East Hill on Fifty-Plus, but she sent me a nice reply to my Introduction to BF.

Reading BF, and especially Fifty-Plus is a daily activity for me...
Jim,

Not a "maven", I had to look that one up, I am just someone grateful for the support I received here, when I was in a bad place health wise.

Please don't classify me in that way, it makes me seem like I am claiming to be more that I am to this forum.

Respectfully,

Bill
No classification intended; just a respectful term, according to one definition as "one who is knowledgeable."

(Not to be a smarty-pants, but I try to select my words carefully; I had considered "habitué." )

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-11-19 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 08:48 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Interesting bit of quotes you nested there, Jim, I had forgotten about posting those bits of my thoughts. East Hill had to be one of the nicest people I have ever encountered in a forum, she was a natural here in the 50+, and in the Introductions forum. A few regulars here managed to stay in touch with her, but time has passed to far I guess. She was really upset about the situation and how things turned out, I pretty much doubt she will re-join us here. I've noticed a few old regulars have put in an occasional appearance here these last few months. I did lurk in every few months, as a visitor, during my hiatus for health restoration, and saw some that had been away for quite a while had posted time or three.

I have encountered a few of the long time regulars, of BF in general, not just 50+ on Facebook, seems that people that you find to be agreeable and someone you can discuss things with on rational terms are the same there as they are here, and those that are jerks here are jerks there also. Without meeting them face to face, it isn't my lace to judge or predict how they are in real life. I will say that the few people from BF/50+ in person, are the same as they come across here. When we got to ride the outskirts of Boston that cold April day, I remember thinking how much the people I had thought of as friends here, were very much the kind of folks I want to call my friends in realworld. When you came over to me in the parking lot and shook my hand, then greeted me warmly and Jim and his lovely stoker, as he always refers to Sharon, came and hugged me, I knew it was going to be a great ride. Despite the rain and cold, it was absolutely great, I wish you had been able to complete the ride. Siting at the General store at our break and talking would have been even better if you'd been still in the pack that Saturday. There will be another group ride, we need to get up to see our son and daughter-in-law here in the next few months, I'll be bugging you and that other Jim character to organize another ride. Stay tuned to this station.

Bill

Old 04-11-19, 04:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Interesting bit of quotes you nested there, Jim, I had forgotten about posting those bits of my thoughts....

I have encountered a few of the long time regulars, of BF in general, not just 50+ on Facebook, seems that people that you find to be agreeable and someone you can discuss things with on rational terms are the same there as they are here, and those that are jerks here are jerks there also.

Without meeting them face to face, it isn't my lace to judge or predict how they are in real life. I will say that the few people from BF/50+ in person, are the same as they come across here.

When we got to ride the outskirts of Boston that cold April day, I remember thinking how much the people I had thought of as friends here, were very much the kind of folks I want to call my friends in realworld.

When you came over to me in the parking lot and shook my hand, then greeted me warmly and Jim and his lovely stoker, as he always refers to Sharon, came and hugged me, I knew it was going to be a great ride...

There will be another group ride, we need to get up to see our son and daughter-in-law here in the next few months, I'll be bugging you and that other Jim character to organize another ride. Stay tuned to this station.

Bill
Thanks for that, as usual, gracious reply.

Regarding your comments about encountering other subscribers in person, @miss kenton started this thread in 2014,
“Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike (link); and I posted to this now-closed thread, How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face,” opened 07-12-13.

I have referred to those “jerks,” as pills, and as a seasoned subscriber posted to a now-closed thread:
For me the heady days on the Forums were from about 2008 to 2016, in particular participating in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, which have since disappeared.

I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy. Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
BTW, on a more personal note, @jimmuller most often calls Sharon his sweetie.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-11-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 06:04 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
One huge difference with this Forum's members leaving compared to another Forum I frequent is that the departure here is generally by choice, the other forum is by death. Let me just mention, PCa (Prostate Cancer) does kill and having a yearly PSA can alert one of possible complications. BTW, I have the killer - Gleason 10- PCa and that is why I am attempting to continue living, cycling, as if nothing has changed. Believe me, it has changed and quite drastically, but the joy AND PAIN I get from bicycling is confirmation that I am still alive.

Be safe, be well and enjoy your rides.
Old 04-11-19, 06:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
One huge difference with this Forum's members leaving compared to another Forum I frequent is that the departure here is generally by choice, the other forum is by death.

Let me just mention, PCa (Prostate Cancer) does kill and having a yearly PSA can alert one of possible complications. BTW, I have the killer - Gleason 10- PCa and that is why I am attempting to continue living, cycling, as if nothing has changed. Believe me, it has changed and quite drastically, but the joy AND PAIN I get from bicycling is confirmation that I am still alive.

Sobering post @OldTryGuy , and I have been impressed by your ride reports.

My most serious health crisis was a bad cycling accident in 2012, but even before that I had contemplated and posted on a few threads about my most metaphysical reasons to cycle:
For all you folks that are so sure you can dodge a crash...

...Since you brought up mortality… two striking quotes about mortality that I read / heard in the 70’s have stuck with me to this day:

1. By Ashleigh Brilliant, a cartoonist of Pot-Shots who wrote epigrams (“Brilliant Thoughts In 17 Words Or Less”), in particular to paraphrase,” I hope it’s a nice day, the day after I die."

2. The Moody Blues from “You and Me""
"What will be our last thought

Do you think it's coming soon?
Will it be of comfort
Or the pain of a burning wound?"

On a few threads on BF, I posted about how I live my ante-mortem life:
Ever contemplate your mortality on the road?

Actually, in one of my most serious contemplations of mortality, the Road served as a relief:
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trivial symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-11-19 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 04:50 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
One huge difference with this Forum's members leaving compared to another Forum I frequent is that the departure here is generally by choice, the other forum is by death. Let me just mention, PCa (Prostate Cancer) does kill and having a yearly PSA can alert one of possible complications. BTW, I have the killer - Gleason 10- PCa and that is why I am attempting to continue living, cycling, as if nothing has changed. Believe me, it has changed and quite drastically, but the joy AND PAIN I get from bicycling is confirmation that I am still alive.

Sobering indeed, BF has had a few deaths over the years, two that touched me. The latest I know of was moderator Photo Joe, last year. damned cancer took him from us much, much too young/early. I have read many of your posts, @OldTryGuy, over the years, it has always amazed me how you have persevered, I gather strength from those here that are cancer survivors, and have either remained of become regular cyclist as a part of doing exactly what you are saying above. Eventually, we all are going to leave this life, its how we treat others while we can that makes it worthwhile to have been here at all.

@Jim from Boston, having faced mortality a few times in the decade between 2000 and 2010, I can understand those thoughts. Realizing you are being told to consider having Last Rites is as sobering as it gets. Thankfully, cycling, and in a big way, the people here and in the C&V have gotten me away from that cliff and going long pretty well these days.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-11-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 05:12 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Sobering post @OldTryGuy .............

Sobering indeed, BF has had a few deaths over the years, two that touched me...............Bill

Thanks guys. IMO living a satisfying life boils down to "perspective." Reading posts by individuals WAY WORSE than myself whether here on BF or elsewhere humbles me and shines a light on how I should proceed to improve my life and possibly Inspire others. Owning up to one's mistakes, learning by them, making the needed course corrections, facing challenges head on with the understanding that some might simply be insurmountably and giving it another go hoping for the best but if success is not in the cards, so be it and move on. You-all have Inspired me and may today be better than yesterday with tomorrow better than today.
Old 04-25-19, 01:38 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I saw that I got mentioned a few posts back (via e-mail), and thought I would come back to say hello to all who miss me!

I left for good reasons which don't need to be mentioned here, but I've wound up not riding very much any more because my hands go numb within a few minutes of riding. I wound up moving to a 2.25 acre farm in the more rural part of King County, WA, and ride horses instead.

I rescue senior Arabians, and have several who get ridden about once a week. I have a couple which are extremely gentle with little kids and so I often have kids with various disorders come to interact with my horses. The photo is one of my 'therapy' horses. She will be 26 years old in just a few days (she was still in her winter fur coat when the photo was taken).
Likes For East Hill:
Old 04-25-19, 04:25 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
So lovely to read your post, East Hill. We might not have see entirely eye-to-eye when you were regular here, but you do get mentioned a little bit from time to time, and I wonder what you got up to. Not great to read that cycling isn't so regular anymore, but the horse rescue bit living on a 2.24-acre farm is wonderful.
Old 04-26-19, 10:54 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
So lovely to read your post, East Hill. We might not have see entirely eye-to-eye when you were regular here, but you do get mentioned a little bit from time to time, and I wonder what you got up to. Not great to read that cycling isn't so regular anymore, but the horse rescue bit living on a 2.24-acre farm is wonderful.

I found that my experiences here with trying to welcome new members feel more at home translated very well to working with horses, especially sensitive ones like my Arabians.

Kindness goes a long way.
Old 04-27-19, 05:14 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

I found that my experiences here with trying to welcome new members feel more at home translated very well to working with horses, especially sensitive ones like my Arabians.

Its so nice to have you reply here East Hill, your rescue of those Senior Arabians seems fitting for you to be doing. That last sentence sums up what you imparted on me, and many of the others here. They are what I strive to live by each day. Thank you, Mam.

Now, if someone could persuade @Beverly to post what she is doing now.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-27-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 06:18 PM
Rowan

Just little more about East Hill with reference to the little bit under her membership name. That little quote from Sheldon really brings it to me these days.

Machka and I missed by minutes meeting Sheldon in person at his bike shop when we were in that part of the world for the Boston-Montreal-Boston 1200, and that resulted in a little bit of email communication between him and me prior to him dying. And that really got me when he did depart.

One of the long-distance brilliances was the the piece he did about his wife doing PBP and using a roasted chicken in her handlebar bag as one of her sources of food in the event.

His website was extraordinary in its content and I still reference it from to time because most of our bikes are old enough to warrant using that information.

Thanks East Hill for keeping his history alive like that.
Likes For Rowan:
Old 04-27-19, 07:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts

I wasn't so much an old horse when you welcomed me in, but the tail has greyed...nice to hear from you, stay well.
Old 04-27-19, 08:57 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its so nice to have you reply here East Hill, your rescue of those Senior Arabians seems fitting for you to be doing. That last sentence sums up what you imparted on me, and many of the others here. They are what I strive to live by each day. Thank you, Mam.

Now, if someone could persuade @Beverly to post what she is doing now.

Bill

What a pleasant surprise to get an email saying my name had been mentioned here. I've read the thread and am happy to see several names I still recognize. I enjoyed catching up with what many have been doing.

I'm still cycling but switched to a recumbent trike a couple of years ago. A childhood back injury, a year of successfully fighting breast cancer, and old age finally caught up with me. I still have the uprights and ride them for short distances but everything else is done on the Catrike. I even installed an electric assist on it so I can continue to ride hills and longer distances.

After 15 years of volunteer bike work with the local MetroPark and 6 years of volunteer work with GOBA (Great Ohio Bike Adventure) I've turned all my volunteer positions over to the younger cyclists and I just ride. Most riding is done with the Dayton Cycling Club and other rides in the area. One I've done the past couple years and enjoy is the Bourbon Country Burn in Lexington, KY. Most of my riding is still done with my long-time biking friends, Richard and John.

There was no particular reason or event that caused me to stop posting. I'm sure it was just getting busy with other activities. I do post on FB. If anyone is there look me up - Beverly Stanley Owens.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-27-19, 09:08 PM
Rowan

Another great post from a long-time BF member. It has been a lovely week seeing them here again, even if only for guest appearances.
Old 04-28-19, 04:54 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Beverly
What a pleasant surprise to get an email saying my name had been mentioned here. I've read the thread and am happy to see several names I still recognize. I enjoyed catching up with what many have been doing.

I'm still cycling but switched to a recumbent trike a couple of years ago. A childhood back injury, a year of successfully fighting breast cancer, and old age finally caught up with me. I still have the uprights and ride them for short distances but everything else is done on the Catrike. I even installed an electric assist on it so I can continue to ride hills and longer distances.

After 15 years of volunteer bike work with the local MetroPark and 6 years of volunteer work with GOBA (Great Ohio Bike Adventure) I've turned all my volunteer positions over to the younger cyclists and I just ride. Most riding is done with the Dayton Cycling Club and other rides in the area. One I've done the past couple years and enjoy is the Bourbon Country Burn in Lexington, KY. Most of my riding is still done with my long-time biking friends, Richard and John.

There was no particular reason or event that caused me to stop posting. I'm sure it was just getting busy with other activities. I do post on FB. If anyone is there look me up - Beverly Stanley Owens.
Beverly,
Thanks for replying, I had a feeling you might Prairie-Dog, if I gave you a mention. I remembered that you had told me you were spending time with grandchildren, and that you had your battle with cancer a few years back. I'm certain your club considers you a cyclist emeritus member, its a well earned place.

Now if I can summon up @stapfam, my job here will be complete. Any chance you have a lead on @Tom Bombadil?

Bill

Old 04-28-19, 08:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a great thread.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-29-19, 03:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Beverly
What a pleasant surprise to get an email saying my name had been mentioned here. I've read the thread and am happy to see several names I still recognize. I enjoyed catching up with what many have been doing….
Originally Posted by Rowan
Another great post from a long-time BF member. It has been a lovely week seeing them here again, even if only for guest appearances.
Beverly,
Thanks for replying, I had a feeling you might Prairie-Dog, if I gave you a mention.
Hi @Beverly ,

Dittoes to the above. I hope you recall that we met on the Fifty-Plus Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen.
…Beverly and her “posse” of Louis, Bob and John were a remarkable crew and it was a laff-riot to hear of their previous tours over the “campfire” at their site. If Bev is looking for a nickname, with all due respect, in the spirit of the bad biopic, the title “Ma Barker” came to mind.
Was @rtool there too, or was he mis-named by me as “Bob? I met him (again) at the Third Annual Ride in Chelsea, MI, and when he came to Boston for the Sixth.
…Freedomrider, Irwin, John, rtool and I found each other at about 7:00 AM….[with a photograph of us the night before]
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston).
After hearing about GOBA, I have a stated yearning to do it, but
2016 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

My similar situation too; generous amount of annual vacation days but limited to how many as can be enjoyed consecutively...maybe two weeks long at most under special circumstances, especially in the summer.

This year I have been seriously looking at GOBA (Great Ohio Bicycling Adventure), an annual organized five day circuit in June in Ohio; I would do it credit-card style. That however would involve besides five days riding, two travel days to and from Boston, and two days visiting family in Michigan. Three riding days would be more feasible. So plans are tenuous.
Also they have ended the organized Motel option, instead leaving riders on their own to make arrangements, seemingly a complicated logistical task for the unfamiliar.
… (Our previous tours were all self-supported and self-guided. If I/we were to resume touring, it would at least be a credit card style, if not an organized tour.) …
and I stayed in a motel in Watkins Glen.

Finally, Beverly you might find this thread amusing, to which I posted:
50+ the way that it used to be

...Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person.

I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts.
Sincerely,

Jim

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-29-19 at 04:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.