Old 04-21-19, 10:43 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
OC Bus

I have been considering using the bus to enhance my rides and was wondering if any of you may have done the same thing or have an opinion.

Most of my rides are out and back from Seal Beach down to various points along PCH. Right now my comfort zone is to Crystal Cove and back (50 miles). In order to take a little bit of the monotony out of these rides I was thinking about catching the OC Bus Route 1 and taking it from PCH/Warner down to Dana Point or San Clemente and then doing the ride back. This way I get to ride parts of PCH that I would not normally see while still being able to ride a comfortable mileage.

The fare for me as a senior looks very attractive. I was just wondering if any of you have done something like this before i.e. strapping your bike to the front of a bus?
Old 04-21-19, 12:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have only used the train to expand the range
but we all need new roads to ride. one word
of advice...i’d lock your bike to the bus bike rack.
Old 04-21-19, 12:08 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
TMT,

I've never tried the bus, but Metrolink is very cycling friendly.

I caught the 8XX train from Orange station and exited at Oceanside. From there, start many rides inland or simply come back up PCH. Last time I scouted an inland route it was to Double Peak and back, but this seemed a little too challenging at my current fitness level.

Chances are you will meet like minded folks on the train riding in the bike car and security will not be a problem.

You can ride anywhere in a day for $10 (last time I checked).
Old 04-21-19, 02:21 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Another vote for the train: Amtrak, Coaster, Metrolink, Sprinter, and all of the trams have been utterly awesome. I'm training my bike up to either Paso or SLO next week and riding back down. It's just the coolest damned thing in the world.

Old 04-21-19, 02:34 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I’ve also used the train, but unlike you I live three miles from the Irvine train station. Unfortunately for it’s a long way from Seal Beach to any train station. The bus might work to extend your range. Probably just need to try it and see. Good advice about locking it to the bus rack.
Old 04-21-19, 03:17 PM
TakingMyTime

Thanks for all the input.

+1 on locking the bike. I had given that some thought. Bus instructions ask you to remove any pumps or bags that may fall off (stolen?)

As stated above, there really isn't a convenient station for me to take a train from. I would basically ride from about El Dorado Park to Bolsa Chica (9 miles) and then catch the bus. Then it's just a 40 mile ride back home (depending on where I disembark). I guess it's up to me to jump in with both feet and give it a try sometime soon.

I did take the train down to San Diego one and then took 2 days to ride back home but that was a whole lot of years ago. I do enjoy the train. I just need to see how I can fit it into my current riding schedule.

Edit: I did just check and the Fullerton Amtrak station is only 12 miles from my house. I think I'll give that a look too.

Last edited by TakingMyTime; 04-21-19 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-21-19, 03:32 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
If you do try the train, be aware MetroLink goes to Oceanside, no farther south. Amtrak goes all the way to San Diego. You do not need a reservation for Metrolink, you can just board the train and roll your bike on. The regular cars have space for a couple of bikes and then there is the bike car with lots of room for bikes. You DO need an advance reservation for a bike on Amtrak.

If if you do try Metrolink, I recommend their phone app for ticketing. The machines at the stations can be unreliable.
Old 04-21-19, 03:47 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I did take the train down to San Diego one and then took 2 days to ride back home but that was a whole lot of years ago. I do enjoy the train. I just need to see how I can fit it into my current riding schedule.

Edit: I did just check and the Fullerton Amtrak station is only 12 miles from my house. I think I'll give that a look too.
Next time, I recommending riding down to San Diego, then take the train back to F'ton, so you can ride on the west/ocean side of PCH (better views & upwind of the auto exhaust), and you'll most likely be able to take advantage of the prevailing, quartering tailwind. I've noticed that a few bike paths on the ocean-side of the road tend to be wider, so you just have to keep an eye out for autos more intent on finding a parking spot at the beach than on bicyclists.

Old 04-21-19, 07:06 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by jimincalif
If you do try the train, be aware MetroLink goes to Oceanside, no farther south. Amtrak goes all the way to San Diego. You do not need a reservation for Metrolink, you can just board the train and roll your bike on. The regular cars have space for a couple of bikes and then there is the bike car with lots of room for bikes. You DO need an advance reservation for a bike on Amtrak.

If if you do try Metrolink, I recommend their phone app for ticketing. The machines at the stations can be unreliable.
After starting this post I realized that these is a difference between MetroLink and Amtrak. I guess I had never given it any real thought. It does look like I can catch MetroLink out of Buena Park which is relatively close. I was also looking into the app and ticket prices. Although the bus takes a little more time I think I'm going to try that first but it's good knowing all the other options that are available.
Old 04-22-19, 07:14 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 984 Posts
If you're retired and have the time, try taking the Route 1 bus down to Dana Point Harbor or San Clemente. That'll let you see the route and give you an idea of what to expect. Get off in Dana Point, check out the harbor area, have some lunch, then ride the bus back to Seal Beach. I don't thing you'll find many issues you haven't faced before - PCH gets narrow though Laguna Beach and San Clemente (called El Camino Real down there), but its no different than navigating through Sunset Beach and the Mariner's Mile and CdM areas of Newport beach. Also note that PCH gets a lot busier in the summer months. I used to ride the Route 1 bus up to CSULB (decades ago!) but have not been on it since then. Also note that if you ride a bicycle back from south OC you'll be riding into the prevailing winds - they typically start mid-morning and get heavier (anywhere from 10 - 20 mph) in the late afternoon.
Old 04-22-19, 08:07 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
After starting this post I realized that these is a difference between MetroLink and Amtrak. I guess I had never given it any real thought. It does look like I can catch MetroLink out of Buena Park which is relatively close. I was also looking into the app and ticket prices. Although the bus takes a little more time I think I'm going to try that first but it's good knowing all the other options that are available.
The norwalk station is pretty close to the start of the coyote creek train, which would make for an easier ride back home for you (assuming Los Al is right)

Another +1 for extending your rides with public transit from me though! It's probably better to ride south and transit back north though, since the winds are generally more favorable for you heading southwards.