Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Requesting help/info on integrated-internal headsets.......

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-01-19, 02:42 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

I'm noodling around with a Craigslist project that's gone a little sideways, so I just ordered this Marin hybrid frame from Random Bike Parts (I'm digging that operation!), and I believe I can use the headset from the bike I'm switching parts from, but I'm not sure.
Bothe bikes have 1 1/8" steerer tubes, and use integrated/internal headsets. The headset in the bike I have is from FSA, and that's about all i know.
The ad for the frame I have coming, says it needs this : Upper/Lower: 44mm I.D. Headtube, Semi-Integrated Internal style, 1-1/8"
In case my FSA isn't compatible, I'm currently looking at a economical Ritchie Comp, like this here........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ritchey-Comp-Press-Fit-Semi-Integrated-44mm-1-1-8-Headset-Black/301702039655?epid=2171859591&hash=item463ed7c867:g:r5IAAOSwX7BacxNW
Is my FSA likely to work ok, or will this ^ Ritchie do the trick, or can you make other (economical) suggestions ?
So, what do I need to know here? Any good info, or points in the right direction, are much appreciated...

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-01-19 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 02:30 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Impossible to tell without pics or more information on the frame itself but the Ritchey model appears to be a press fit, not a drop in model. It may or may not be what you need but that's something to pay attention to.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-02-19, 05:06 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Yeah, that's a good point. This is all confusing and frustrating the hell out of me. It looks like "integrated", "semi-integrated", and "internal" are pretty much all the same thing (or so I've read), and they can be drop-in, or have some cups/liners much like traditional headsets (like that "semi-integrated" Ritchie posted above).
The headset on the old frame, that I'm thinking I may can re-use, is pretty much just an upper and lower cartridge bearing, that fits right into the head tube.
The inner head tube on the new frame looks like this.....
Old 07-02-19, 05:41 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Semi integrated means that it has bearing cups that press into the frame with a small lip that rests on the top and bottom of the head tube, the cups do not protrude like a normal external cup headset. Cane Creek refers to them as Zero Stack (ZS) headsets. Your Marin frame needs a Zero Stack or Semi-Integrated headset. That Ritchey headset will work, as long as your fork has an 1 1/8" steerer.

If your other frame does not have cups that can be pressed out and/or they are not for a 44mm ID head tube, the FSA headset will not work.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 07-02-19, 06:08 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Thanks for the good info, dsaul. The Ritchie is still about the best deal I can find, other than a semi-integrated FSA for about the same price. ( like this one.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-No-10-1....c100005.m1851 )
I'm gonna hit the road for a couple hours, and if no one chimes in with any better options, I may pop on one of those when i get back.
Thanks again, guys.....

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-02-19 at 06:26 AM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-02-19, 12:10 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...STAINLESS.html