Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

"The Great Ride" PBS show on the GAP/C&O

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

"The Great Ride" PBS show on the GAP/C&O

Old 09-02-19, 07:59 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by th0
Is this available without a PBS account?
You need to be a member to unlock the PBS archives at the $60/year or the $5/month sustainer level. I watch past shows including "The Great Ride" on my TV and sound system through a Roku streaming device or directly on the computer screen, either method requiring membership.

Last edited by BobG; 09-02-19 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-02-19, 08:25 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
The "Cycle Around Japan" shows which aired within the past 365 days are available for free on the NHK website:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...ype=tvEpisode&
Old 09-02-19, 10:52 AM
th0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone here done the towpath section during Late October?
Old 09-02-19, 06:36 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by th0
Anyone here done the towpath section during Late October?
I’ve ridden it in all seasons and all weather conditions except snow.
Old 09-12-19, 05:50 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
"The Great Ride" repeats tonight at 9 p.m. on Richmond's PBS WCVE-TV Channel 23.1. Might be doing so elsewhere, as well.
Old 09-13-19, 05:49 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by DCwom
Having ridden the GAP, I found this show disappointing, it was more about the set of people they were following then the trail itself. Not that there was anything wrong with these peoples stories, I was just expecting to see and hear more about the trail itself.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Would be great if they completely ignored the people, and went deep into the weeds about the trail route, gradients, major climbs, as well as the bikes. Frames, tires, wheels, component groups.
I didn't see the show. These comments left me wondering. I am sure DCwom meant what they said, but can't tell if Lemond1985 was being serious or not. If so on the latter, really? I could see interest in the trail details, but would anyone really want a show that went into the weeds about all the small details of people's bike choices for ride on a rail trail? I am kind of a gear head and that would bore even me, for the general audience I am sure it would be a real snooze fest.
Old 09-13-19, 05:57 PM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I didn't see the show. These comments left me wondering. I am sure DCwom meant what they said, but can't tell if Lemond1985 was being serious or not. If so on the latter, really? I could see interest in the trail details, but would anyone really want a show that went into the weeds about all the small details of people's bike choices for ride on a rail trail? I am kind of a gear head and that would bore even me, for the general audience I am sure it would be a real snooze fest.
I let it go back in August, but since you brought it up, I was hoping Lemond1985 was being funny also, like I said, there was nothing wrong with the riders stories. I was just disappointed that there wasn't as much about the trial's conversion from the Western Maryland railroad, to the trail it is today.
Old 09-14-19, 06:13 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I let it go back in August, but since you brought it up, I was hoping Lemond1985 was being funny also, like I said, there was nothing wrong with the riders stories. I was just disappointed that there wasn't as much about the trial's conversion from the Western Maryland railroad, to the trail it is today.
As I said, I haven't seen the show and for what it is worth was hesitant to ask about the posts. I was really kind of puzzled by the comments and wondered which way they were intended to be taken. Given the some of the post I have seen here I thought it could go either way. I was leaning toward it trying to be funny at your expense, but wasn't sure.

As far as what I'd like to see in a PBS show about the GAP and/or C&O... It would be a story about the people riding it and what their experience there is like. Ideally it would be infused with a lot of details about the geography and history of the trail. No need for any details about the bikes IMO.
Old 09-14-19, 10:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
It uses the former WM right-of-way from Cumberland to Connellsville. From there it uses the former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie right-of-way. Yes. I’m a bit of a train geek.
Old 10-11-19, 03:01 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Our local PBS station had the video on their website in its entirety for a brief period, but it's gone now. But you can see some extra bits of video from the production here: The Great Ride - WQED . Just click on the bike wheels on the map on the link. I checked some of the videos and they play fine here. Enjoy!
Thankyou for this, and the link to be able to buy the DVD, will enjoy, on TV, what I will never ever see in person.
Old 10-11-19, 11:13 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrunner
Thankyou for this, and the link to be able to buy the DVD, will enjoy, on TV, what I will never ever see in person.
No problem! The GAP is a fantastic trail. Will a DVD purchased in the US play on equipment in Australia?
Old 10-11-19, 11:32 AM
alan s 

No problem! The GAP is a fantastic trail. Will a DVD purchased in the US play on equipment in Australia?
What is a “DVD”?
Likes For alan s:
Old 10-11-19, 12:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
What is a “DVD”?
IKR. He probably still uses toilet paper too.

Old 10-11-19, 12:29 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. He probably still uses toilet paper too.
Old 10-11-19, 11:02 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, It will, I have a few DVD's from the US, that plays no problem over here. And for the other poster, A DVD is a Digital Video Disc, just like a CD, but plays high definition video or music.