Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Crosstrail Question?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-25-19, 07:04 PM
JJonsy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was thinking about getting the Specialized Crosstrail. I want to ride on the street but also do some low key flow trails in the woods behind my house. I currently have a sirus and blew out the back tire doing a wheelie. I know why would you do a wheelie on a sirus. I use to race but now I just want to do flow trails and minor jumps. What do you think? Is the Crosstrail a good option for off road and minor jumps? Thanks
Old 08-25-19, 07:27 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
A good option for you might be a basic hardtail MTB with decent tires that will tolerate a mix of surfaces. The reason I like an MTB over something like a Crosstrail for your situation is you can upgrade the fork down the road with many more options (100mm travel forks have great aftermarket options, but 63mm travel forks do not). I'd recommend an MTB with 584mm wheels (also called 27.5", or 650B) -- you'll be able to run large volume tires that work well on both dirt and pavement. I have a few tire recommendations for you if you want to go this route.
Old 08-25-19, 07:56 PM
JJonsy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't need anything big. I just want something that goes on a dirt path in the woods.
Old 08-26-19, 05:51 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Dirt path in the woods, yes. I'm not so sure when you say "minor jumps" though.

Most bikes can handle more than people give them credit for, and a lot depends upon how exactly you ride a bike when you're not on the intended terrain that the bike was designed for. I have a 38 mm tire (like the Crosstrail) commuter bike that I like best on pavement and gravel roads. It's good enough on smooth singletrack that I won't hesitate and still will have fun, but I have to be a little bit careful to dial back speed on curves for traction and ahead of roots and sharp bumps so that I don't pinch flat.

I hope the above helps. I don't think there's a binary, yes/no answer to your question.
Old 08-26-19, 06:46 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
My suggestion to the op would be: think of your 'primary' use for the bike.

Bikes like the Crosstrail are -- just as the name suggests -- intended for 'cross-terrain' riding: reasonably efficient on pavement, reasonably effective on non-technical off-road surfaces such as dirt roads/trails and so on. But they are not intended for the kinds of riding one would do on a full-on mtb. Simple little bunny hops, drops off curbs, and the like -- sure. Six foot drops-to-flat or singletrack descents at speed? Uh uh.

Conversely, a proper mtb is intended for full-on mountainbiking, and an xc hardtail certainly can be used to reasonable effect on the road with a sensible tire change. However, it will never be as efficient on-road as a bike like the Crosstrail, simply because the frame angles etc. are optimized for off-road.

So, your 'primary' use becomes a factor. If you anticipate that your riding will be 60+% on-road, and around 40% or less on non-technical off-road, the Crosstrail or similar makes a great deal of sense. OTOH, if you were anticipating a reversal of that, with 60+% off-road, and especially if you think you might be tempted to try 'bigger' stuff off-road, go with an xc hardtail and two sets of tires.
Old 08-26-19, 08:03 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Gravel kind of trails and very very light mountain trails, my Crosstrail can handle. But jumps or anything more, no. Going over rocks and I ruined the original wheel. Do jumps and you will ruin the simple suspension it has. Upgradeable, yes the Crosstrail is, boy did I upgrade mine. But it's not something I would jump or climb rocks with.

I like badger1 and others suggest a xc hardtail. Cannondale, Trek offer some really nice mountain bikes that are close to being a hybrid bike, but can handle what you are suggesting.

Example: Trek Marlin, Cannondale Trail.
Old 08-26-19, 09:13 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by JJonsy
I don't need anything big. I just want something that goes on a dirt path in the woods.
You first mentioned, wheelies (manuals?), flow trails, and minor jumps. A typical "dual sport" type of bike like the Crosstrail won't handle that sort of stuff very well in the long run. But "just going on a dirt path in the woods"? Sure; it'll do that fine.

I have a light hardtail MTB. It's a Redline Zander, but is a rebadged Diamondback Overdrive. I paid $155 for it on Walmart.com on closeout and have upgraded the tires, some of the drivetrain, and the brakes. The stock cheap XCT fork remains, but I'll eventually get to that. I have a total of about $300 in it and this type of bike would be perfect for what you're looking to do. It's basically like a Specialized Rockhopper Sport with 27.5" wheels. I love it for cruising around any terrain I feel like; I have relatively plush Vittoria Mezcal tires in 2.1" size on it that roll over anything. Shimano hydraulic discs stop it right now.

I also have a Giant Roam (basically the same as a Crosstrail) and I've got it setup more for road use, with slick tires, and I keep the suspension locked out on it pretty much all the time now. I used do "do it all" with the Roam, but found that I wanted to go a little faster off road and a little deeper in the woods than the Roam was really comfortable doing. And the Redline MTB is super for that.

Like others have suggested, really think about where and how you'll be riding most often.
Old 08-27-19, 06:45 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'd recommend an MTB with 584mm wheels (also called 27.5", or 650B) -- you'll be able to run large volume tires that work well on both dirt and pavement.
If you get an MTB, you'll be able to run large volume tires regardless of the wheel size. It's not a hybrid or a gravel bike where you have to size down the wheels to put a fatter tire on, it has been designed with fat tires in mind.

Last edited by subgrade; 08-28-19 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-28-19, 05:54 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by subgrade
If you get an MTB, you'll be able to run large volume tires regardless of the wheel size. It's not a hybrid or a gravel bike where you have to size down the wheels to put a fatter tire on, it has been designed with fat tires in mind.
Yes, absolutely. My intent in saying that was to point out that you can run the larger volume tires on an MTB (regardless of wheel size), unlike on most hybrids, but it didn't come out that way at all. Thanks for the clarification.