Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Totally Disgusting Rider on the Trail Yesterday

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 03-14-11, 04:00 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

So is this guy a member here? Gawd this dude is the lowest form of life on a bike. We're riding on the trail, crowded trail I will add. Mountian to Sea trail heading towards the coast. AGAIN, the trail is crowded and I myself thougth it was a little too crowded to get up to speed. Not sure if it is always this way but if SART was like this trail, I'd stop riding it, and that's from a trial rider.

So I see an old guy on the trail, he's walking unpredictably. Not sure if he's lost or looney, either way, I can't plow into the guy so I slow bigtime, maybe 2 mph to go around safely as there are 4 of us in or group.

Up ahead about 15 yards there is a lady with a stroller that stops in the middle of our lane. Looks as if she's pulling something out. Maybe a diaper, maybe a bottle I don't know. But again, it's crowded and not everybody is a genius when it comes to trail ettiquette.

So we slow roll and I'm making sure our riders all get around the old guy safely. Just then a little child, very small child, maybe 14 months wanders away from the stoller when mommy turns her back. Not a smart idea but a 14 month old baby hasn't yet had a chance to read and understand rules of the road while driving or using a multi path.

So the baby walks across the trail and ends up in the middle of the lane. Yes, the trail is crowded, both directions, joggers, riderss, skaters, strollers and BABIES!

But some moron rolls up racing on his bike has to slow down, like the rest of us taking caution cause the baby got in his way. Baby was not my way, only the mother but knowing there was a baby on the loose, we continued our 3 mph pace. The dude rolls up pretty much slams on his brakes and SCREAMS AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS AT THE 14MONTH OLD BABY!

Poor little baby just shook in her pants! The dude jumps back on the throttle and guns it on by. It's strange but it happened so fast that I was standing there thinking WTF just happened!

Man, I can see getting upset with the parent, maybe passing a few unpleasant words Mommy's way about taking caution but to SCREAM AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS AT A 14 MONTH OLD BABY that way was just totally disgusting.

If I hadn't been so confused with the situation that seemed to only take a split second, I would have shouted something at the moron myself but our little group was pretty much just standing there with our mouths open trying to comprehend what had just went on. I wish I had!

Wow, let's remember, the signs posted states 10 mph for a reason, especially on a crowded trail, Lance didn't do his TT training on a multi path and a 14 month old baby IS A BABY no matter what!

Wow!!
Old 03-14-11, 04:09 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, I won't do that again.
Old 03-14-11, 04:13 PM
SpecialJohnnyG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the weekend is not a good time for hard training on the SART. Not unless you're prepared for frequent significant slowing and occasional stopping (and this should be done with a good attitude since we all share the trail).

I ALWAYS slow down considerably when there is an unpredictable situation up ahead. However, I still get upset at people when they do stupid things after I've done my part and slowed down, but to yell at a baby because your time trial was interrupted on a busy MUP on the weekend? Come on...

I'm pretty tolerant on the SART, but I get pissed at things like walkers taking the whole path just so they can walk side-by-side and then not even caring that others are approaching who need to use the trail, or another cyclist just blindly walking across the trail near a rest stop without even looking (yes both of these and many more have happened to me).
Old 03-14-11, 04:16 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shame on you, Gary...
Old 03-14-11, 04:18 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-14-11, 04:22 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=SpecialJohnnyG;12360402]I agree that the weekend is not a good time for hard training on the SART. Not unless you're prepared for frequent significant slowing and occasional stopping (and this should be done with a good attitude since we all share the trail).
[QUOTE]

The trail I was on on was far more crowded than any section of SART I've ridden. That's an indication of how busy it was that day and time.

I think most of us agree, we get upset with blockers etc but for our own safety, slow down, stop etc. I've seen some walkers 3 and 4 abreast, riders the same, stopping in the middle it's annoying but they should know better (prolly don't) but either way......A BABY!!

Again, shame on you Gary!
Old 03-14-11, 04:36 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Why does Gary have to bear all the ire & shame? What about the diligent, caring parent and apparently higher life form than Gary, attempting a very late-term abortion (or perhaps get rich off a lawsuit?)
Based on your adjective-filled story, I think Gary's response sounds measured & reasonable. Better for this reptile's-offspring to be conditioned to equate walking around on long stretches of asphalt with unpleasant men yelling at him/her, than to spend the rest of his or her life minus an arm or leg, or dead.
Old 03-14-11, 04:44 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree that it's bad form to race on a crowded path but Jeez, people need to use their heads. You don't bring a baby on a trail that is packed with runners, walkers, cyclists, dogs, rollerbladers and assorted skells - and you certainly don't take your eyes and hands off of her if you're too stupid to take the first piece of advice. We see people all of the time who have to walk on the yellow line making it impossible to pass safely - walkers with dogs on 50 foot leashes - young kids on bikes wobbling all over the road. People need to use their heads and be a little more courteous.

Ps - if it was me racing up there; your group, the racer and the lady pushing the stroller would have whizzed past me.
Old 03-14-11, 04:51 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean it wasn't you?
Old 03-14-11, 04:56 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
I agree that it's bad form to race on a crowded path but Jeez, people need to use their heads. You don't bring a baby on a trail that is packed with runners, walkers, cyclists, dogs, rollerbladers and assorted skells - and you certainly don't take your eyes and hands off of her if you're too stupid to take the first piece of advice. We see people all of the time who have to walk on the yellow line making it impossible to pass safely - walkers with dogs on 50 foot leashes - young kids on bikes wobbling all over the road. People need to use their heads and be a little more courteous.

Ps - if it was me racing up there; your group, the racer and the lady pushing the stroller would have whizzed past me.
I agree, that's why I posted in the OP that a few unpleasant words to mommy would be in order, but to the innocent little baby, Nah!

The thing I noticed about this trail is that it is a few feet away from thousands of apt units. There are walkways and park areas leading out from the units. Far more congested that SART and much more of finding a baby on the trail. Doesn't make bay on the loose any more right, but you've got to expect something in this area.

Ridng the trail, I expect anything and everything form everyone. Walkes, yes, pain in the but but lots of good ones. Kids on bikes, yes, pain in the but but lots of good ones (better than some off the adults ). Riders, yes, pain in the butt but also lots of good ones. I've seen cycling clubs, rae clubs that I would think would promote cycling safety but uhhh when you see a group of 10 riders blocking the entire trail, group of 20 riders 4 and 5 abreast taking both lanes, riders talking on cell phones around blind turns on the wrong side of the trail, I refuse to make it an us against them issue. We all suck!

I'm not anti walker, anti hiker, anti skater, anti dogwalker, anti driver, anti rider, I am anti stupid people!
Old 03-14-11, 05:07 PM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr. Beanz
i'm not anti walker, anti hiker, anti skater, anti dogwalker, anti driver, anti rider, i am anti stupid people!:d
bingo
Old 03-14-11, 06:13 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
The only thing that I wonder is what was going on in the cyclists head at the time ? I think his biggest mistake was not to slow down. His reaction was probably a combination of adrenaline and fear of hittling the little girl. I still would blame it more on the mother for putting the child in that situation.
Old 03-14-11, 07:02 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I guess the kid has gotta learn there are a-holes at some point in his/her life. What better way than from a dude in spandex riding a bicycle thinking he's all that?
Old 03-14-11, 07:18 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
His reaction was probably a combination of adrenaline and fear of hittling the little girl. I still would blame it more on the mother for putting the child in that situation.
On a trail with a 10 mph speedlimit ? How would that fly in court?
Old 03-14-11, 07:28 PM
LAriverRat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
About 12 boys, from 12 to 16 years, all on different bikes were blocking the exit path from Liberty park. I could have screamed at them but i just stopped, asked them to clear a path because other riders share the path and need a safe area to get through. They quickly moved, asked if there was enough space and soaked up the info. I smiled, said yes, told them to enjoy and went on my way. Can't say i never scream however most of the time i try to speak in a normal, sarcastic, tone with just enough venom to shake them up.
Old 03-14-11, 07:40 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
About 12 boys, from 12 to 16 years, all on different bikes were blocking the exit path from Liberty park. I could have screamed at them but i just stopped, asked them to clear a path because other riders share the path and need a safe area to get through. They quickly moved, asked if there was enough space and soaked up the info. I smiled, said yes, told them to enjoy and went on my way. Can't say i never scream however most of the time i try to speak in a normal, sarcastic, tone with just enough venom to shake them up.
I'm the same, will use a sacrcastic voice, authoritive if needed. Especially with those that should know better. I use , "hey, nice roadblock" But if I see a loose baby, I am stopping well in advance no matter who is at fault. And I'm surely not shouting in the baby's face leaving her shaking in her booties.

Along the same lines, if we stop to talk, I'll suggest the others move to the side with me, some don't that's on them. If for some reason I do block the lane and another riders makes a comment, I'm guilty. I don't like it so why should they?
Old 03-14-11, 08:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I'm not anti walker, anti hiker, anti skater, anti dogwalker, anti driver, anti rider, I am anti stupid people!
Every new school year, I get a student who asks me if I'm racist. I always reply "No, but I discriminate against stupid people"
Old 03-14-11, 11:27 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better to yell at a kid so he stays out of your way than to say nothing and run him over.

A few years ago, I slowed as I approached a family on the path. They all stopped and looked at me as I passed. Their 4 year old daugther darted right under my front wheel as I passed. We all ended up on the ground. I was expecting a fight, but her family just looked at my blankly. I learned you can't trust others to look out for their own kids.
Old 03-14-11, 11:34 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rooftest
Better to yell at a kid so he stays out of your way than to say nothing and run him over.

A few years ago, I slowed as I approached a family on the path. They all stopped and looked at me as I passed. Their 4 year old daugther darted right under my front wheel as I passed. We all ended up on the ground. I was expecting a fight, but her family just looked at my blankly. I learned you can't trust others to look out for their own kids.
I'm thinking I should have typed "ended up standing in the center of the lane" instead of "baby walked across and ended up in the center of the lane" just to be a little more clear. Baby was standing in the center of the lane by the time the rider approached.

Either way, we al know that people aren't going to do the right thing, half are ignorant to any kind of trail rules and the others lack common sense.

I learned you can't trust others to look out for their own kids ........another Bingo!...........and we all know this by now.
Old 03-15-11, 08:21 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I learned you can't trust others to look out for their own kids
We all know the blame for that falls on those teachers who neglected to raise the kids for their parents.
Old 03-15-11, 09:17 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
We all know the blame for that falls on those teachers who neglected to raise the kids for their parents.
Yeah, teachers have let down the system. If they raised our kids with values, there would be far less crime in the world.

I actually got into a big heated debate with a friend. Some kid took a gun to school, shot another kid and this person seemed to think it was Dick Clark's fault cause he didn't pay the child's burger slnging mother a high enough wage. You can't blame Dick Clark, he's not a teacher.
Old 03-15-11, 09:27 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Kids and animals are unpredictable.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-15-11, 10:52 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Nachoman
Kids and animals are unpredictable.
Tell me about it. I work with about 250 adolescents every day and not one of them is consistent. I've seen the biggest bully cry at the most petty thing, the nicest kid get caught selling drugs, and the smartest student plagarise a paper in the dumbest way (i.e. copied a bibliography with a book only available in German).