Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Help me find my Bike

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Help me find my Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 04:50 PM
circa81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me find my Bike

I'm looking for a bike to add to my walking and bus taking routine. I'm 5 feet even, so I need an extra small frame, and I can't spend much more then $150, so used is probably the best way to go. I'll be using it for around the town biking; no offload, and I need multiple gears. I also need the handle bars to be in an upright position. I know that's a tough order, but if you have any suggestions, I'd be grateful.
Old 09-21-13, 05:30 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by circa81
I'm looking for a bike to add to my walking and bus taking routine. I'm 5 feet even, so I need an extra small frame, and I can't spend much more then $150, so used is probably the best way to go. I'll be using it for around the town biking; no offload, and I need multiple gears. I also need the handle bars to be in an upright position. I know that's a tough order, but if you have any suggestions, I'd be grateful.
Yes, in your price point, used will be necessary. Craigslist is the usual suggestion on where to find a used bike. Also ask all of your friends to see if they have one sitting in their garage. Look at garage sales, but estate sales are even better. And you might also see if there is a bike co-op in your town. Where I live there is even one guy who gives away used bicycles. The catch is that you have to volunteer and help him refurbish some bicycles to earn yours. Two of my bicycles were given to me. One of them is my main bicycle. It's an old solid frame mountain bike that sat in somebodies garage for years. So you can get a bike, you just need to be persistant.

Here is a frame size calculator so you can figure out the size you need. It needs your height and your leg size. https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer

What you are probably looking for is a hybrid bike or even a lightly used solid-frame mountain bike(no suspension). With smooth tires, a mountain bike becomes an able street bike. You may also be able to find a used bike with an Internal Geared Hub, like the classic 3 speed.

And in general avoid shoddy bicycles like you might find at Walmart: Next, GMC Denali, Genesis, Kent, Roadmaster, Huffy, Mongoose, Hyper are some of the names to watch out for and avoid. Schwinns may be great or bad. Brands like Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Surly, Scott are respectable brands and should hold up. Raleighs, and Free Spirits can be okay too.

Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions. The more we know about your situation, like how you want to use a bike, recreation riding, utility riding, commuting, etc, the more we can help.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-21-13, 07:37 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Go to a bike co-op and see what they have. Problem with many Craigslist bikes is that many need additional work to make them road ready.

At your price point, I'd be looking at an older mountain bike with rigid fork. 26 inch wheels. Nothing fancy but the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-22-13, 12:09 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know... This bike doesn't look too bad:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwi...Q%26A+Exchange

I do like the idea of getting a used bike--if circa81 knows enough about bikes to select a decent one. Also, at her height, pickings might be slim for used bikes. But I do think the Walmart bike is adequate for her needs, and will come with a warranty. It's going to be difficult to find a small size used bike in the OP's price range.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-22-13, 12:37 AM
circa81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I"m a guy. My name's Mike.
Old 09-22-13, 12:55 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to explore the co-op route, there is a sticky at the top of this (LCF) forum that is essentially a directory of them.

If you end up considering something from the big box stores like Wal-Mart, look at ones that have 24" wheels. Bottom of the barrel parts, heavy as a boat anchor, but if (and that is a big IF) the assembler knew what they were doing, it should be functional until you can get something better. Also, avoid rear shock models at all costs.
Old 09-22-13, 05:54 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
How many gears? Raleigh Colts and Space Riders would work. Both are designed for shorter riders. They only come with 3 speeds. Durable as all get out. Kind of hard to find, but would fit in your price range. I second heading to a co-op or finding a friend that knows bikes and is willing to help you look.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-22-13, 10:45 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I"m a guy. My name's Mike.
Sorry Mike.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-24-13, 04:11 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
circa81, how is your search going?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-24-13, 10:39 AM
circa81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My nephew has a bike that is probably perfect for me. I'm gonna check it out soon; I'll tell you guys what happens soon. Thanks.
Old 09-24-13, 11:35 AM
KlibanQat

Bikes: Origami Crane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a gently used folding bike becomes available in that price range, consider it even if you never intend to fold it. Upright riding position and naturally smaller frame sizes come with the territory.

Quite agree that those of us between 5'0" and 5'1" can look at the upper sizes of children's bikes for a fit, too.
Old 09-24-13, 07:15 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by KlibanQat
If a gently used folding bike becomes available in that price range, consider it even if you never intend to fold it. Upright riding position and naturally smaller frame sizes come with the territory.

Quite agree that those of us between 5'0" and 5'1" can look at the upper sizes of children's bikes for a fit, too.
DOH! Clean forgot about folders and I have several of them! My bride and I both ride a Raleigh Twenty... she is 5'-1" and I am 6'-2"

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 09-25-13, 01:57 PM
charbucks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 5'3", and I used to ride a 70's kids 5-speed that I converted to an "upright" bike by swapping out the handlebars. It was $10 on kijiji.

It had super polished 24" steel wheels though, and the braking performance in wet weather was basically nil. I ended up giving it away and finding a bike that I trusted to stop within a couple hundred metres. If you plan on riding in the rain or snow, be wary of steel wheels.
Old 09-25-13, 09:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Where did you Leave it? <old joke>

I can't spend much more then $150, so used is probably the best way to go.

I cannot remotely predict what you will find. where have you looked?

got a bike Co Op that reconditions used bikes ?

at least then it wont still need more money sunk in right away on the unseeable bike, in poor condition.

once I calculate the insurance and purchase and operating expenses of an auto .

I have justified and spent more than that to Upgrade the front wheel on my Brompton
to include a hub dynamo light set.

folding bikes make multi mode transportation easier .
Old 09-27-13, 03:55 PM
4everhopeful

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm your height (5'1" but I'm older now so shorter...) and I got you!

I am 5'1" but I've gotten shorter at 53 yrs old, probably, and I have like a 27" standover which has always made biking a challenge. Add a back that isn't all that happy and I had a hard time riding for any longer than the two or three days it took me to get over the "ex-Catholic guild-induced joy" of waking up in pain and riding in pain and going to bed in pain, even with a close-to-custom 46.5cmish Women Specific Design Trek 2300 road bike (back when I had money). Tried the Trek 7something (750? 700?) hybrid cuz I like the big wheels but need gears and some fatter tires for commuting on and off sidewalks in Seattle. Still uncomfy even though it had a more upright seating arrangement.

Now I'm riding an 18" Diamondback Voyager I - the guy's model - (circa 1998 or 1999) designed to look like a beach cruiser but with the gears I need and the upright handlebars and even though it's supposed to be way way too big for me, it adjusted perfectly with the seat and the handlebars and all and I could ride it all day long. The beach cruiser fit for my size would be a 15 to 18" frame, but the mtb frame says smaller, much, although this one works great and I don't know if it's because it's designed to look like a cruiser but it's really a hardtail mtb...or what. But it works. It's a bit heavy at 28 lbs. but you know what? It's easier and more fun to ride than any of the higher end road or hybrids I tried before. I am not actually riding that much since I have had some depression and PTSd going on so the poor thing is sitting in my hallway getting me a different form of ex-Catholic guilt but I can't make myself get rid of it for the fact that it has been the only bike I even rode comfortably everywhere - in the rain and on some ice and up nasty Seattle hills and over curbs and sidewalks and so forth.

The price? I got it free from someone's side of the road pile of moving castoffs. All that was wrong with it was the tires didn't have any air in them. It was even straight-rimmed and lubed well enough to put in some air and go, and it's a really good bike for my size. It sells for around $150 used they tell me, and online they've been as low as $50 though I don't know the condition. This is in great shape though it has a little bitty coupla scratches in the paint here and there. No big. Doesn't look like it's ever been wrecked, and I can't imagine what it would take to do any real damage to anything on this thing other than maybe bending a rim coming off a thirty inch Seattle curb...(I exaggerate. Sorta.). They sold new for $400 or thereabouts, but if you live anywehre near me and want to try it for awhile just to get it out and give it some love so I don't feel quite as guilty, you are welcome to come by and give it a foster home for awhile. I may get back to it someday but probably knowing me not until the Spring now. Or not. But you could try it either way and see if you like the ride, and then get your own or continue fostering mine depending on the way the world goes. Who knows.

I live in Seattle, in the Wallingford neighborhood. Let me know if I can help. Good luck to you! Look for any of the Voyager I, II or III's online - they're great. Like I said, I'm 5'1" with a 27" standover (Japanese descent makes for short legs with normal torso - not so good in fashion terms....) and I'm riding this 18" hardtail mountainbike (supposedly) that looks like a cherry red beach cruiser.....not totally but the frame is a nice swoopy feel....no perfect triangles I mean. They make it in smaller frame sizes and even in a women's 16" or 17" I heard. Good luck.

Sandy

Last edited by 4everhopeful; 09-27-13 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typos. and to mention this is a guy's bike
Old 09-27-13, 07:26 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4everhopeful
I am 5'1" but I've gotten shorter at 53 yrs old, probably, and I have like a 27" standover which has always made biking a challenge. Add a back that isn't all that happy and I had a hard time riding for any longer than the two or three days it took me to get over the "ex-Catholic guild-induced joy" of waking up in pain and riding in pain and going to bed in pain, even with a close-to-custom 46.5cmish Women Specific Design Trek 2300 road bike (back when I had money).
Sandy, you are only 53. Visit the 50+ forum and you'll see lots of us are still cranking many years later.

Whatever you do, don't assume 53 is a time to slow down. It's a great time for a new beginning
Old 09-30-13, 01:56 PM
circa81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I got my nephew's bike, I don't know the specs, but here's my thoughts so far. First, the size, for the money, anyway, is nearly perfect, but my feet keep rubbing into the front tire when I make most turns. Second, for whatever reason, I can't seem to keep my my bike in a straight line, which is terrible for someone who wants drive around town. Maybe it's because I haven't ridden in 20 years, maybe it's because this is the first bike I've ridden with gears, or I just need more practice. Third, I need to get a new seat, this one's just not comfortable at all. That's all for now.
Old 10-01-13, 05:30 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

OK, I got my nephew's bike, I don't know the specs, but here's my thoughts so far. First, the size, for the money, anyway, is nearly perfect, but my feet keep rubbing into the front tire when I make most turns. Second, for whatever reason, I can't seem to keep my my bike in a straight line, which is terrible for someone who wants drive around town. Maybe it's because I haven't ridden in 20 years, maybe it's because this is the first bike I've ridden with gears, or I just need more practice. Third, I need to get a new seat, this one's just not comfortable at all. That's all for now.
Feet hitting the tire is called toe overlap, are you putting the balls of your feet on the pedals or riding flat footed? Straight line riding is a learning curve that some people never master. I would try a different bike too, I have had a couple of bikes that were out of alignment, or where the geometry wasn't quite right for my riding style that were hard to control.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-01-13, 10:53 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Are you riding crooked all the time? One cause could be that you're going too slow. Bikes are wobbly at very slow speeds, especially for a beginner. A death grip on the handlebars won't help either. And don't focus your attention on all the things you don't want to hit. Instead, point your eyes in the direction you do want to go, and you will go there. IOW, don't look at the lamp post and the brick wall, look at the empty space between them.

Or are you just swerving around when you're concentrating on the gears or whatever? Again, focus on going where you want to go. Put the bike in an easy gear and forget about changing gears for a few rides. Then start using the front gears only for the next few rides, since there are only two or three of them. Then add in the rear gears last of all, of which there are seven to ten.

Anytime you practice something new, do it in a location where you don't have to worry about traffic or hitting any walls. I crashed into a stone retaining wall when I was learning how to shift gears. ouch!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-02-13, 10:28 AM
circa81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding flat footed and going too slow; thanks for the advice guys

Last edited by circa81; 10-02-13 at 10:28 AM. Reason: edit
Old 10-27-13, 08:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
Guess I'm a little late, but here's your bike, only $75

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4139990530.html

Old 10-27-13, 09:22 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4everhopeful
They sold new for $400 or thereabouts, but if you live anywehre near me and want to try it for awhile just to get it out and give it some love so I don't feel quite as guilty, you are welcome to come by and give it a foster home for awhile. I may get back to it someday but probably knowing me not until the Spring now. Or not. But you could try it either way and see if you like the ride, and then get your own or continue fostering mine depending on the way the world goes. Who knows.

Sandy
I love this idea of fostering bikes for people who can't/prefer not to ride during the rainier months or whenever the rider is taking an extended break. As you said, it gives the bike a chance for a litle more love, plus who knows but what someone might become so enamored of a particular kind of bike that they wind up wanting to adopt one just like it for themselves. Kind of what the Humane Society does only this would be the Campaign to End #Bikelessness .