Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a spare tube and patch kit?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 08:40 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I see many people and forums suggesting that riders should carry a spare tube and patch kit. Local LBS has group rides planned and they recommend carrying spare tubes and tools.

I am riding between 13-25 miles right now. Just wondered what the consensus is.
Old 05-30-14, 08:47 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a flat 12 miles from home. If some kind cyclists hadn't helped me, I was in for a long walk. I now carry tire levers, puncture kit, portable pump, a small multitool and bandaids. I've stopped to help lots since, and the most used object has been a bandaid.
Old 05-30-14, 08:55 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
yes I carry both.. tube for the first flat and patches for the next.
Old 05-30-14, 11:54 PM
oot

Bikes: 2013 Giant Roam 2.( Previous bikes 1993 Avanti Illusion (hybrid) 1980 Healing (road ))

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry 1 tube and tools on local rides.Carry an extra tube when riding further afield.Running puncture resistant tires.Haven't had a flat in the last 20 or so years.
Old 05-31-14, 01:03 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Ditto on carrying both. If you have a second flat, you need a patch kit. If your tube has a split/slice, you need a spare tube.
Old 05-31-14, 04:02 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't leave home without a spare tube and a patch kit. I'd rather patch a tire than use a spare tube. Patching only takes a couple more minutes. Patches are cheaper and you'll still have your tube for the next time, when a patch won't really help!
Old 05-31-14, 06:56 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
I don't leave home without a spare tube and a patch kit. I'd rather patch a tire than use a spare tube. Patching only takes a couple more minutes. Patches are cheaper and you'll still have your tube for the next time, when a patch won't really help!
I'm with this - you already have it apart, might as well patch and be done.
Old 05-31-14, 07:02 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I carry a spare tube.. I don't bother trying to patch because finding the hole can be a serious pain depending..

If I am going on long rides of 60+ miles I bring 2 tubes..
Old 05-31-14, 07:44 AM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't trust patches long term. So will change the inner tube when I can. Definitely carry tire levers, patches, inner tube, 2x CO2 cartridges, air valve.
Old 05-31-14, 08:32 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Carry all 3-tube patches various tools
No fun pushing a bike home 2 miles-takes 45 minutes
13 miles-6 hours-or a CALL OF SHAME to wife SO Girl Friend Boy Friend
A small fanny pack(yeah it looks....) can easily carry tube patches tools reading glasses for oldsters
Never ride without a way to fix a flat-and other minor problems
Old 05-31-14, 08:35 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I carry tire levers, pump, and spare tube. Up,till now, I have not carried patches, but I am reconsidering my position.
Old 05-31-14, 09:01 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I find that locating the hole in the tube, is a road map for the offender in the tire, which not always visible.

An easy way to find a very small hole in a tube, is to overinflate the tube, and pass it by the most sensitive part of your body ----- your lips. Easy, every time.

Found the hole, three minutes to permanently patch,(not with one of those self stick patches) and your new tube is still available should you really need it. In 50+ years, I have NEVER had a permanent patch fail, and have ridden many tubes that were polka dotted!

Scuff the tube, apply the "cement", let it dry, roll the patch on with a round rock or round handled tool using pressure, and it is fixed forever.
Old 05-31-14, 09:27 AM
tubekiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My trek mtb made me change tubes MANY times. So many that I quit using it. I wasn't much of a rider anyway...just short trips with kids. So, I now know that it has something in the tire that is just barely there.

Now, I bought a hybrid and have been using it. My first ten mile ride I lost a tube. Thankfully, at the end. It was a rock that looked like a cat's baby tooth in black, it was tough to find. I now have a saddle bag with my levers, the patched tube as a spare, and a patch kit. Now that I am here, I will be browsing to decide what I want for a pump, and maybe a gauge.
Old 05-31-14, 09:46 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Mountain Morph/G, or Road Morph/G --- either will pump to 125# easily. The Mountain Morph will be quicker.
Old 05-31-14, 09:52 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Usually 2 spare tubes, patch kit, inflator with cartridge+2 more co2, and often a mini pump.
Old 05-31-14, 09:53 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
yes I carry both.. tube for the first flat and patches for the next.
yep..
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 05-31-14, 02:43 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I don't but that's only because I'm poor. Spent the tax refund on the bike the end of winter and now have kids' doctor bills to pay for, so haven't bought the rest of the stuff.

I have $50 worth of Amazon cards to spend, but I need a pump and a bag to carry the stuff as without that, it would be useless to bother with the spare tube or patch kit, and those 2 are more than the $50 gift cards. Not much more, but more enough that I don't have it.

As soon as I gather up the rest though... I do worry because I ride gravel roads and they just laid more gravel. Last week, the roads were pretty much dirt, now they are covered in gravel. I only ride about 7 -9 miles out because I'm coming back to home, but I ride most often when my wife has left for work so I don't have someone to come rescue me.
Old 05-31-14, 09:06 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Sounds like I will have to start collecting these things. Mr. Rodgers - join the club! 8-)

I picked up a small sized saddle bag. Hopefully it is big enough to carry the things.
Old 05-31-14, 10:04 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One benefit of riding with an OCD rider as a buddy is that they always carry enough for both of you. (I can leave the stuff at home).

Another benefit (in this case riding *after* work) is that the wife's always at the ready for my phone call to come pick me up if anything happens on my evening rides.

Ditto on group rides as I wouldn't want to hold everyone up. I'd just as soon get picked up & fix things at home.

But if I don't have any of those options, I won't leave home without pump & patches.
Old 05-31-14, 10:29 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
New tube & patch kit. Funny, I loaned both to a roadie last summer and after a 2nd failed attempt to pump up he discovered glass embedded through the casing. I always check the inner tire surface (carefully) for wire, glass etc.
Old 06-01-14, 04:39 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first got into cycling I got a flat tire on a rural road about 10 miles from home and I had a long walk. Like my grampa always said "once annoying, twice a pervert". I won't let that happen again.

I always carry a flat tire repair kit with me, one tube, tire levers, CO2 inflator or mini pump along with a patch kit.

Two tips; carry a pair of rubber gloves(I put mine in the plastic bag I store my spare tube in) in case you have a rear flat so you don't have to ride home with your hands covered in chain grime/oil. Practice changing flat tires at home so you won't have an issue doing it on the road.
Old 06-01-14, 04:45 PM
blacksapphire08

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Electra Cruiser Custom 3i

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont carry a spare tube but I plan to eventually. My bike has those flat resistant tires but im not going to put blind faith in them. Not sure about the patch kit though, is that to be used as another backup?
Old 06-01-14, 04:54 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Patch-Kit with no excuse not to carry one:

Park Tool Co. » GP-2 : Super Patch Kit : Tube & Tire
Old 06-01-14, 04:57 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Yes-spare tube, levers, a tiny brass presta-to-schrader adapter, and a patch kit in my saddlebag. I carry a Spin Doctor micro-pump mounted on the frame just above the front derailer. The adapter is in case I need to help someone else out that may have schrader valves and they need to use my pump or in case I'm without my pump and need to borrow someone else's fit for schrader valves.
Old 06-02-14, 07:54 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry all that stuff because I am "supposed" to and I want to be a professional. No seriously though, its one of those things that's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If you were to have a flat and just change the tube but don't find the cause you can patch one of the tubes the second time and still be rolling. Even if you don't know how, as long as you have the stuff, a helpful biker will probably stop and change it for you. I haven't had a flat on the road but the first time I ride without a spare I will have one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.