Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Power Grips

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Power Grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 10:20 AM
trickdog

Bikes: 2005 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Power Grips

I just stumbled across this website, has anyone tried these grips? It would seem like a good compromise between regular pedals and clipless for city commuting..

https://powergrips.com/

Old 04-11-05, 10:45 AM
aiguy
Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 'em, I like 'em. Particularly nice for winter months when I used with warm shoes and boots.

I suppose they would also be good if like to ride with the shoes you work in. I keep dress shoes at work, so not a consideration for me.
Old 04-11-05, 12:56 PM
babaluey
OlyCommuter

Bikes: Spot Ajax for commuting, Jamis Dakota Sport for dirt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used toe clips for a few months, then switched to powergrips for about a year and have just made the move to clipless in the last couples of weeks. IMO, Powergrips are far superior to toe clips for commuting - much easier in and out and a more secure connection between foot and pedal than toeclips with loose straps. They are not quite up to the performance of clipless, but are close and a very good compromise for commuting. The slight disadvantages I experienced are: 1) like toe clips, the strap always hangs down due to gravity so you have to develop the technique of flipping the pedal before you can "go in". 2) Over a longer distance (20+ miles), they start to numb my toes. This wasn't an issue for my commute as it is only 6.6 miles. The main reason I went to clipless is that I am doing more long rides, outside of commuting.
Old 04-11-05, 01:25 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought these because I find it is impossible to buy good quality toe clips any more. I just couldn't find any toe clips that were big enough to put the ball of my foot in the proper place, over the spindle. I don't have particularly large feet (size 10.5) but the only clips I can find these days put the spindle under my toes, which gives the feeling of riding on tippy-toe.

I find they work about as well as the toe clips I was able to buy ten years ago. I think they are more accomodating of odd-shaped shoes. I use them on my comfort bike and on my commuter in the winter when I'm wearing boots. They are more convenient than clipless but not as suitable for long rides. Also, if my feet were any bigger they would be too small, although I understand they make an extra-large model.
Old 04-11-05, 01:36 PM
fsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the others I found that trips over 20mi started to numb the toes. Otherwise they were a really easy intro to clipless as the same exit motion is used. I never did like toe clips much as I am rather clumsy, but found the powergrips easy to use. Only one of my bikes has them, however, I really prefer the speedplays on the rest of my bikes. Ultimately, if you can tolerate special shoes, clipless works better...IMHO
Old 04-11-05, 05:26 PM
phillybill

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been commuting with clipless for some time now. But I have ordered a pair of the powergrips as the traffic in philly seems to have gotten worse this year and I want to get in and out of the pedals a bit faster.
Old 04-12-05, 08:34 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree on "not as good as clipless" - if you've already got platform pedals and don't want any extra expense then they're not bad - way, way better than toe clips and starps especially in traffic.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 04-12-05, 11:08 AM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced my toe clips with powergrips last week. The powergrips are somewhat more secure, and about the same in ease of getting into them.

I'd say they're better than toe clips, but not drastically so.
Old 04-12-05, 05:08 PM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replaced my toe clips almost a yr. ago with powergrips. I highly recommend them. Of course I bought some real cycling shoes and plan on going totally clipless. I hope to get a second bike or maybe get my wife to try them... Go for it. They are really a good deal.

Keep Cycling,
Old 04-13-05, 05:45 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Power Grips on my 'bent and like them. They aren't as efficient as a good clipless system, but they work for me as I generally need to ride in street shoes. In the future I'm going to go clipless with an MTB shoe or sandals. They work better than the toe clips on my Trek road bike. I like the fact that I can get a better foot position on the pedals. I've found that toe clip cages are too deep for me. (small feet). The realease action seems to be similar to clipless systems to they could be a great pre-learner when I do go clipless.
Old 04-13-05, 07:53 AM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh, heh... I started with no clips of any kind, then tried clipless for a while - didn't like them at all... went the toe clip route and loved them... recently tried Powergrips (got them for free from a custodian at a place I worked at in Mass) and didn't like them at all.. went and got me another pair of toe clips... might try the mini (strapless) toe clips they have at REI at some point... but... Powergrips, seemingly I'm in the minority.. didn't like that at all... adjusted and adjusted, but always a pain... once I got my feet in comfortably though, not too bad... just didn't like futzing with them anymore.