Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Megatruck: Bet this hasn't happened to you

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 11:15 PM
nomo4me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Want to be someone here in Utah? You've got to drive one of the deisel powered super-duty sized trucks. They are everywhere, and much more prevalent than in Boise, Denver, Vegas or Phoenix based on my observation.
So I'm riding past a high school parking lot and one of these deisel powered little-weanie-compensators exits the lot 50 yards in front of me. The truck was only a year or two old (Chevy Heavy Duty), but had been seamingly tuned to toss as much black soot out the exhaust as possible. It laid a dense cloud of black smoke and hauled a$$ away from me RAPIDLY; the truck's computer had obviously been re-chipped for max speed.
It was a level stretch so I held my breath for about 50 yards, by which time the breeze had blown it away from my side of the road.
I ride about 1/2 mile, and there is the truck in a driveway on my side of the road, it's bed hanging over the sidewalk. It is stationary, but the engine is at max rpms and i can hear the tires chattering a bit on the concrete as the driver obviously has the thing in gear with the brakes on.
The effect of this, and I believe the drivers obvious intent, was a house-sized cloud of black smoke completely blocking my side of the road. I can't see around it to try to go into the oncoming lane and skirt the smoke. I'm not going to stop before I get to it because a few of sluggo's pals are beside the truck on the lawn and I don't want to give them the satisfaction of seeing me stop.
So I plunge through the damn thing and am engulfed in blackness for a couple of seconds.

I emerge on the other side with no sense of panic or alarm, but rather a sense of amazement that someone might be proud of such an achievement.

Mike
Old 05-19-05, 05:42 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Utah inbreeding has taken it's toll....
Old 05-19-05, 05:44 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the sound and feel of a well tuned diesel, especially when cruising down the highway pulling a 30 foot gooseneck trailer with about 10,000 pounds of horses in the back. I like big trucks too, but what that idiot did really takes the cake. If he was smoking he wasn't tuned for best efficiency and fuel economy. Just a big red-neck trying to show off to his buddies. Too bad you were forced to ride through his pollution. Makes you want to duct tape his lips the the exhaust and then goose that sucker! Yes, I cycle too, and commute by bike.
Old 05-19-05, 05:52 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just makes you want to ride up and fart on the guy....
Old 05-19-05, 06:02 AM
spine of hortus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think black smoke means hes got an oil leak in there somewhere and from how you described how he treats his truck i can see how it coulda happened

probably he didnt even buy the truck himself it was probably a gift from daddy

when you spend 30k of your own money on something tiy tend to appreciate it a bit more

a well tuned deisle wont have noticable smoke and they arent made for going fast their made for haulling
Old 05-19-05, 07:30 AM
nomo4me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
That was an intelligent and meaningful comment. Do you have anything else to add?
Old 05-19-05, 07:33 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take heart. With all that black smoke billowing out of his tailpipe its only a matter of time until his engine goes "kaboom!"

Do they emissions testing in Utah?...probably not.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-19-05, 07:45 AM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue smoke from the tailpipe is from excessive oil burning in the combustion chamber.

Black smoke is from an extremely rich mixture of fuel/air, meaning that he has more fuel going into the cylinders than he is currently capable of burning. You see that alot with kids now-a-days when they get those cheap ass mod chips that change their FtA ratio to be richer. It does produce more power, but poorly. More power could be gained just by tuning the exhaust better and leaving the intake the same.

And while we're at it, white smoke is caused when coolant is introduced into the combustion chamber and burned, which is usually a sign of a faulty head gasket or worse, cracked heads
Old 05-19-05, 01:26 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
There's a guy here at my office with a small diesel in a pick up truck... he has a remote starter maintains a "Raiders" attitude. He is proud of the fact that he can get his truck to "belch" black smoke at will.

Takes all kinds.
Old 05-19-05, 01:34 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
just think - that guy could have paid for a college education instead of that truck. seems a better use of the money to me.
Old 05-19-05, 01:49 PM
Hanzo
Softcore Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big trucks have their place for hauling heavy stuff around but just to drive one around like a car is kind of dumb, especially with the diesal prices. You're looking at an easy $60-100+ every time you fuel up depending on if it has dual tanks or not. I think a lot of people are getting sick of paying that since I see used car lots covered in the things.
Old 05-19-05, 09:58 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kids and their stupid mods on cars annoys me to no end.

There's plenty of cheap mods that can be done to get extra HP. Chips are supposed to be polish for the finished product...at least that's how I learned how to do it.
Old 05-19-05, 10:02 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So it would seem
Originally Posted by nomo4me
That was an intelligent and meaningful comment. Do you have anything else to add?
As if your's was particularly useful there Sparky.
Old 05-20-05, 05:28 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. Just add a chip by itself? Yeah, you'll get more power, but the engine will never be right if that's all you do. Hence the black smoke, running rich. Just adding a chip and doing nothing else will also lead the engine to a premature death. Which negates one of the major reasons for getting a diesel in the first place.
Old 06-05-05, 03:56 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
So it would seem
As if your's was particularly useful there Sparky.
sparky. God I love that one.

Hey, why not do something james-bondian? Get some horribly nauseating stink bomb smoke maker or something, and set it up under your seat. Then give them a taste of your own "exhaust" as you ride by.

Oh man, I really like that idea. Too bad I never get dicks like that where I live.
Old 06-05-05, 05:31 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like his turbo's on the way out.
Old 06-05-05, 06:06 AM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just me or do the macho diesel pickups sound just like the Frito Lay delivery trucks?
Old 06-05-05, 06:17 AM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pj7
Blue smoke from the tailpipe is from excessive oil burning in the combustion chamber.

Black smoke is from an extremely rich mixture of fuel/air, meaning that he has more fuel going into the cylinders than he is currently capable of burning.
I once knew somebody who put transmission fluid (?) in their beater's washer fluid bottle, and put the end of the little hose in their carburator, so hitting the washer fluid button would produce a big cloud of 007 smoke screen out the tailpipe.
Old 06-05-05, 02:44 PM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back when diesel was cheap and injection systems simpler some truckers would "shim" the injection system to deliver more fuel. The idea was to provide more power (unlikely) and smoke. They really seemed to like to leave a smoke trail.
Old 06-05-05, 04:47 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diesel engines are highly efficient. Much more that gasoline engines. This is because of the much higher compression ratio of diesels - 23:1. When a diesel drivers steps on the 'diesel' peddal, more fuel is injected into the engine to produce more power. More fuel = more smoke out the tail pipe. The good thing is, with a diesel, most of the smoke is soot, which is very small solid particulates - not even a gas, much less a greenhouse gas. The soot is carbon, just like a charcoal briquet. The soot settle harmlessly to the ground.
Old 06-05-05, 05:10 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diesel engines are highly efficient. Much more that gasoline engines. This is because of the much higher compression ratio of diesels - 23:1. When a diesel drivers steps on the 'diesel' peddal, more fuel is injected into the engine to produce more power. More fuel = more smoke out the tail pipe. The good thing is, with a diesel, most of the smoke is soot, which is very small solid particulates - not even a gas, much less a greenhouse gas. The soot is carbon, just like a charcoal briquet. The soot settle harmlessly to the ground.
Then gunks up your bike.
Old 06-05-05, 05:23 PM
bottom-bracket
Bike Honky

Bikes: KHS touring thing that's old, French? fixxie, 69 schwinn stingray show bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
two words...... Veggie Oil!!!!!
Old 06-05-05, 05:52 PM
pseudobrit
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diesel fuel, being denser, also has more kinetic energy per gallon.

Let me preface this by saying I drive a derv:

The particulates do not settle harmlessly to the ground so easily. They hang in the air for quite awhile and cause respiratory problems. Now, the particulates are a highly localized pollution problem. They do not have wide regional or global implications but they can cause problems in cities.

Nitrous oxides are a high component of diesel exhaust, and they cause regional smog.

Newer technology is reducing the particulates in exhaust, and overall, a diesel produces less worrying pollution than other ICE designs. CO2 exhaust in a biodiesel-burning car is ridiculously low.
Old 06-05-05, 06:31 PM
phinney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks pseudobrit, that's interesting.
Old 06-05-05, 06:31 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that if one of the big three US auto makers could come up with a diesel/electric hybrid, they would sell every one they could build - especially for small truck fleets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.