Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ripped off by local bike shop???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 06:32 PM
pluto123
pluto123

Bikes: trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello all------ bought a new trek 7300 and have a question for those more knowlegeable about these bikes than myself. paid good money for this bike and got the spec sheet out to familiarize myself with the components. the spec sheet by the way was printed off of the trek website.it states that this bike comes with "promax forged v w/alloy levers,kraton inserts,bell ". well i got no bell and the brakes my local bso put on this bike were " tectro ". did i get ripped off??? everything else seems to match the spec sheet. i have dealt with this dealer many times as i have bought five low end bikes for my kids. sure would hate for him to have done this to me or anyone else. please tell me i have nothing to worry about. thanks to all who reply.
Old 07-26-05, 06:41 PM
pluto123
pluto123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
come-on guys! anybody???
Old 07-26-05, 06:46 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Manufacturers sometimes substitute parts at the factory that are different from what the spec sheet says. I once bought a bike that had Shimano cranks from the factory even though the literature and the web site said it had Bontrager cranks.
Old 07-26-05, 06:48 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pluto123
come-on guys! anybody???

patience...
Old 07-26-05, 06:57 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying five bikes from the dealer means that you have a relationship with him. Call him and talk to him. The bike should definately have a bell included as this is state law in many places. A friend of mine bought a new 7200 two weeks ago, a was bell included. As for the other component differences don't jump to conclusions. Call trek and ask them. There should be a number to call in the owners manual you got with the bike. You did get an owners manual, right? That said it is, unfortunately, possible that the dealer swapped out parts. There is a local bike shop near me that is notorious for doing this. On the search for my friend's 7200 one bike shop told us the difference between the 7200 and the 7300 was that the 7200 did not include a suspension fork. The 7200 they had did not have a suspension fork. The 7200 she bought, from another shop, had a suspension fork. It had it because that's the way it's suppose to come. Again, outside of the bell, don't jump to conclusions. Bike companies change component packages all the time. They don't reprint their brocheres every time they make a change.
Old 07-26-05, 06:59 PM
pluto123
pluto123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for replying- are the " tectro" brakes at least as good as the" promax"?
Old 07-26-05, 07:03 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You should go back and ask for a bell. If it's a reputable store, they'll honor that request. Regarding the brakes, I think Berg was on the mark - just a substitution. And one of my bikes has Tektro brake calipers - they're just fine. I don't know which Tektro brakes you have, but they're probably fine too.

Short answer: No. Just go back and get a bell.
Old 07-26-05, 07:59 PM
pluto123
pluto123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for putting my mind at ease Sproketman. will call trek to confirm and will get the bell next trip in to lbs.
Old 07-26-05, 09:59 PM
CRUM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bike was spec'd with ProMax brakes and it came with Tektro, I'd be thanking the dealer if he did indeed swap them. More than likely TREK made a running change in their spec based on availability or a problem with the ProMax. Having had to deal with many ProMax linear pull (V Brakes), I would guess the problem was with the brakes, not availability. The bell, well, my experience is the OEM ones come out of the box broken half the time or will break soon after they are used. But you could bring it up to him.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 07-26-05, 11:16 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree, Tektro brakes could be considered an upgrade in this case. My experience with promax was less than stellar.
Old 07-27-05, 06:11 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
come-on guys! anybody???
Nine minutes elapse and you're already whining about no responses?
Old 07-27-05, 06:15 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The spec sheet for my bike said "Truvativ square drive cranks". The bike had Truvative Isis drive cranks (better cranks). The chainrings were supposed to be 42/52/62, The bike had one smaller than 42 (a 38 I think), a 52 and 62 tooth ring. I love the lower granny! It was a case where the manufacturer changed parts, and the changing of those parts were an upgrade and resulted in better performance for me.
Old 07-27-05, 06:19 AM
milank
Folksinger

Bikes: Flite 200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet those are the Tektro's that came on my bike (v-brake style). They are very good brakes in my experience.
Old 07-27-05, 06:28 AM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
On the search for my friend's 7200 one bike shop told us the difference between the 7200 and the 7300 was that the 7200 did not include a suspension fork. The 7200 they had did not have a suspension fork. The 7200 she bought, from another shop, had a suspension fork. It had it because that's the way it's suppose to come. Again, outside of the bell, don't jump to conclusions.
As you stated, people need to realize there is a line in every bicycle manufacturer's catalog that clearly states specifications are subject to change.

It's funny that you would suggest that the OP shouldn't jump to conclusions after accusing a shop of swapping out forks.
Aside from the fact that it makes absolutely no sense for a shop to do so (labor costs/shop time, plus the fact that there is zero demand for such a fork, among other reasons), there are two different versions of the 7200; one features a suspension fork while the other does not. Although the salesperson's statement was in error, you should heed your own advice and do a bit more research before accusing someone of wrongdoing.
Old 07-27-05, 07:20 AM
* jack *

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by catatonic
I agree, Tektro brakes could be considered an upgrade in this case. My experience with promax was less than stellar.
seconded
Old 07-27-05, 07:51 AM
harlemgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tektro is an upgrade...why is it not as spec'd? any number of reasons... perhaps a swap to replace levers damaged in shipping. Perhaps the spec'd bell was one that fit onto the Promax lever? In any case, just mention it, the LBS ought to throw one in for you as Trek will reimburse them for it. Enjoy the ride.
Old 07-27-05, 08:31 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
The chainrings were supposed to be 42/52/62, The bike had one smaller than 42 (a 38 I think), a 52 and 62 tooth ring.
62 tooth chainring?? What kind of a bike is this?

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-27-05, 09:22 AM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo
As you stated, people need to realize there is a line in every bicycle manufacturer's catalog that clearly states specifications are subject to change.

It's funny that you would suggest that the OP shouldn't jump to conclusions after accusing a shop of swapping out forks.
Aside from the fact that it makes absolutely no sense for a shop to do so (labor costs/shop time, plus the fact that there is zero demand for such a fork, among other reasons), there are two different versions of the 7200; one features a suspension fork while the other does not. Although the salesperson's statement was in error, you should heed your own advice and do a bit more research before accusing someone of wrongdoing.

Waldo, thanks for the slap down. The version of the bike my friend bought is THE ONE THAT COMES WITH THE SUSPENSION FORK! The shop did swap out the fork. I know it doesn't make any sense that they did it and told my friend so. But they did it and they tried to sell the bike that way. To make it worse their lowest price on the bike was $40 higher than what my friend paid at another shop for a properly equipped bike. And We weren't talking to an uninformed part time bike salesman. We were dealing with the shop's manager. Is that clear enough for you? That the shop did try to rip off my friend, OK with you that I call a thief a thief?
Old 07-27-05, 09:25 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Promax is complete and utter garbage. Go thank your bike shop.
Old 07-27-05, 09:50 AM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
The bike had Truvative Isis drive cranks (better cranks). The chainrings were supposed to be 42/52/62,
No such combination (at least in regular retail channels). You either misread the specs or there was a typo.

It *wasn't* a case where the manufacturer changed parts.
Old 07-27-05, 01:59 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
My Trek Navigator 300 was supposed to come with a bell too. When I asked the LBS about it, he said that he noticed that too and called Trek. There was not a bell included because with the type of shifters and indicators I got (SRAM 4.0 pro) there simply was no room for a bell. I wasn't going to let it bother me because me screaming in an emergency is louder than any darn bell available.

On another note, I noticed that the saddle on my GF Cake looked different from the picture in the sales catalog (same LBS). So I definitely squawked about that one. He looked at the catalog, looked at my bike, smiled and pointed out that during the mid year change, they had included this saddle with my bike (as he points to a bike 3 steps higher than mine) but if I want, he could put on one of those off-the-rack saddles that he was selling, no charge! Nahhh, I'll just keep my stock one (as I realize that the one's he was selling were lower grade).
Old 07-27-05, 05:32 PM
pluto123
pluto123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update------- OK- Now I feel realy bad about jumping to conclusions before getting all the facts. I took your advise and contacted Trek and spoke with a tech and he told me that the Tectro brakes were used on this bike and were an upgrade over the Promax. No bell comes with this setup. Its just that Iwas so pumped over my new bike and I did-not realize that it was common practice to swap out components at the plant.For '' The Fixer and Va Cyclist'' sorry I riled your feathers wanting a quick response.Folks,Im new here and dont claim to know everything but I am willing to share my experiences with you as best I can. NOW- this having been said i think i will go see the fella that sold me my bike and buy some accessories. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE--- Ill TRY TO HAVE MORE! THANKS.
Old 07-27-05, 05:59 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About bells, most laws state a bell or other sounding device, and your loud mouth can be a sounding device. Get over it, nobody pays attention to bells.
Old 07-27-05, 06:08 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANKS ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE--- Ill TRY TO HAVE MORE! THANKS.
- don't feel bad... this wouldn't be a problem if the process of buying a bike were simple, components were clearly listed, etc...

- i found, through a simple test, whether or not an LBS was aiming to take advantage... walked in and asked for cushioned bar tape... i was then steered to the most expensive bar tape in the store, $29.95 IIRC (can't remember the brand)... i passed, but continued browsing and found what i was looking for at $9.95...

- the point is that good research and comparative shopping can reap benefits... for example, cinelli cork tape can be found locally with prices ranging from $19.95 to $9.99 at different stores!

- enjoy your ride!
Old 07-27-05, 08:03 PM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
Waldo, thanks for the slap down. The version of the bike my friend bought is THE ONE THAT COMES WITH THE SUSPENSION FORK! The shop did swap out the fork. I know it doesn't make any sense that they did it and told my friend so. But they did it and they tried to sell the bike that way. To make it worse their lowest price on the bike was $40 higher than what my friend paid at another shop for a properly equipped bike. And We weren't talking to an uninformed part time bike salesman. We were dealing with the shop's manager. Is that clear enough for you? That the shop did try to rip off my friend, OK with you that I call a thief a thief?
Wow, you need to try decaf. It's funny that people get so worked up over stuff on the internet. I'm still not buying your story. Have a nice day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.