Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My review of removing my clipless road bike pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 09:10 AM
capman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Took the bike out a few times this last weekend Chicago lakefront big test. Now this trail path is mostly smooth and level for the most part but the traffic on it had to stop numerous times quickly and not having the pedals engaged worked out great for me personally. My average ride speed was about 15-17MPH so noting crazy.
I retrofitted with a flatter mountain bike composite pedal with raised spikes it worked great with my regular gym shoes no slippage. I did a road test as well about same speed still no problems. My true test will be some elevation climbs will let you know how that goes. I noticed the pedals I have got space for add on straps? going over the shoe left to right might try to add them. Any recommendations for those straps?
Old 09-04-18, 09:21 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Between all my bikes, I go between clipless and spiked pedals all the time.

Biggest advantage of clipless I've found is when out of the saddle or when spinning at higher RPMs.

As for the straps thingy, you probably don't want to do that. The spikes impede you getting in and out of the straps. If anything, get a plastic cage WITHOUT the straps so you can wiggle your foot in.
Old 09-04-18, 09:30 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Straps should only be used for B&D.

Old 09-04-18, 09:31 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
Between all my bikes, I go between clipless and spiked pedals all the time.

Biggest advantage of clipless I've found is when out of the saddle or when spinning at higher RPMs.

As for the straps thingy, you probably don't want to do that. The spikes impede you getting in and out of the straps. If anything, get a plastic cage WITHOUT the straps so you can wiggle your foot in.
Obviously written by someone who's never used, or it's been a VERY long time since he used toe cages and straps. I'm 63 yo. Still using cages and straps. Have used them exclusively since the very early 70's ('71 or 2) when I got my first 10 speed. I'm still wearing Detto's with a cleat. I have no problem getting my feet out in a hurry. You just leave enough slack in the straps so you can quickly disengage if/when necessary. The cage and strap will still properly locate your feet on the pedals.
Jon
Old 09-04-18, 09:32 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Clipless is a good system if keeping your foot attached to the pedal is your number 1 priority, especially while sprinting crazily in a pack of riders.
Flats are a good system for everything else, they're a lot less work and a lot more natural to ride in.

My opinion is that straps are the worst of both worlds. Much harder to get out of in an emergency compared to clipless (and clipless is slightly harder than flats). And without the advantages of clipless in direct attachment to the pedal. I personally found I greatly prefer flats to clipless, but I can see uses for either system. But I wouldn't personally straps as being worse than either flats or clipless and don't recommend them to anyone I know.

If you already have pedals with pins, you can also get Five Ten flat bike shoes. They use a special sticky type of rubber that really grabs onto flat pedals with pins:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT07.html

That's what I use, it feels like my foot is physically attached to the pedal for pushing down, forward, or back, but without actually being attached for pulling your foot up off the pedal.
Old 09-04-18, 09:41 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Obviously written by someone who's never used, or it's been a VERY long time since he used toe cages and straps. I'm 63 yo. Still using cages and straps. Have used them exclusively since the very early 70's ('71 or 2) when I got my first 10 speed. I'm still wearing Detto's with a cleat. I have no problem getting my feet out in a hurry. You just leave enough slack in the straps so you can quickly disengage if/when necessary. The cage and strap will still properly locate your feet on the pedals.
Jon
Admittedly, it's been a while. Straps with like MKS Sylvan type pedals sure. Straps with studded MTB pedals? Sounds like you got bigger balls and slimmer foot than me, lol.
Old 09-04-18, 11:28 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm currently running clipless, cages and straps, and velcro straps on various bikes. The velcro straps are not this exact model, but very similar: https://www.fyxation.com/products/gates-pedal-straps

I find the velcro straps helpful for bikes on which I want to wear normal shoes (dress shoes, tennis shoes, etc). They're not as good as clipless or cages and straps IMO, but provide enough foot retention for comfortably riding around in the hills.
Old 09-04-18, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by capman
Took the bike out a few times this last weekend Chicago lakefront big test. Now this trail path is mostly smooth and level for the most part but the traffic on it had to stop numerous times quickly and not having the pedals engaged worked out great for me personally. My average ride speed was about 15-17MPH so noting crazy.
I retrofitted with a flatter mountain bike composite pedal with raised spikes it worked great with my regular gym shoes no slippage. I did a road test as well about same speed still no problems. My true test will be some elevation climbs will let you know how that goes. I noticed the pedals I have got space for add on straps? going over the shoe left to right might try to add them. Any recommendations for those straps?
Averaging 17mph on that path during a weekend when its busy and all that stopping means you were riding 23mph for a lot of it too.
Find a different trail to ride at that speed. Dont be one of those guys who tries to set a PR while weaving in and around battery rickshaws, walkers, etc
Old 09-04-18, 02:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
rode a bike without cleats for the 1st time in some while. was kinda fun & comfortable ...
Old 09-04-18, 11:03 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Straps should only be used for B&D.
I was thinking they should only be used for S&M.
Old 09-05-18, 06:54 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I will soon be removing my pedal's cages and straps too, and will go with the spiked platforms on all my bikes, instead of just the one.

Old 09-05-18, 08:00 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clip-less on my Gravel
Spiked/flat pedals on my mountain bike
Old 09-05-18, 08:42 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've just adapted dual sided pedals for most of my riding. Clip in when I want, ride flats when I want. Or, as I probably too often do, clip in the left and ride platform on the right,
Old 09-05-18, 08:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
But why do they call them clipless pedals when you clip into them? Maybe someone should start a thread asking that very question.
Old 09-05-18, 10:21 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have spiked platform pedals on most of my bikes and prefer them.
Old 09-05-18, 11:42 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Pinned pedals with 5.10 shoes (as noted above) is a terrific option. I've been riding clipless on MTB, cross and road since the late 80s so that's what I'm used to, but that's just a personal preference.

One other option: lots of fixed gear riders like straps like this:
https://www.citygrounds.com/collecti...frs-toe-straps
They seem like another good idea.
Old 09-05-18, 01:39 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Glad you found a solution that you like. Whatever works for you, go for it.

Personally, clipless pedals are the best purchase I've made in the last 25 years or so (road cycling). I've never had trouble getting out of them (well, I did fall once early on when the cleat screws loosened and I couldn't rotate the cleat). They make my pedal stroke much more efficient, because I don't spend energy keeping my foot on the pedal. I can balance much more confidently out of the saddle because my foot is much less likely to slip off of the pedal. Etc.

If platforms work well for you, that is great. I'll keep my clipless pedals, however, I love them.
Old 09-06-18, 07:21 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Pinned platforms in the winter, clip-less otherwise.
Old 09-08-18, 01:46 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave up clipless pedals for city riding. If there is some mechanical advantage to begin with, you certainly give that up with all the constant stops required when riding in a city. I am back to riding flats and happy with my decision.
Old 09-08-18, 08:46 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've just adapted dual sided pedals for most of my riding. Clip in when I want, ride flats when I want. Or, as I probably too often do, clip in the left and ride platform on the right,
+1
works well for me too
Though, never mix right one way, left the other
Old 09-09-18, 08:41 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But why do they call them clipless pedals when you clip into them? Maybe someone should start a thread asking that very question.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-09-18, 06:42 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
If the Looks were so great, why did you give your Campys to your GF? Doesn't sound very friendly to me. Or is it that clips/straps actually can work well for some people?
Old 09-10-18, 04:29 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Most of my road mileage is on SPD SL pedals, but I have a hybrid bike with dual sided SPD/platform pedals. That used to be my commuter bike, don't commute any more.
Mostly use that bike on trails or riding with my wife.

One thing I notice on flats is how hard it is to get the bike started after a stop, can't pull up on either pedal! If there is going to be a lot of walking as part of the day, will just wear sneakers or sneaker-like low hiking boots.

I'm definitely faster when clicked in, or lower heart rate for same speed, and not doing real hills on that bike. Long miles in sneakers or trail shoes makes me miss stiff soles of my biking shoes, too. But, for short rides not all that much difference.