Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Bikes Come Damaged

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bikes Come Damaged

Old 09-11-18, 06:19 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bikes Come Damaged

The title says it all. How many of you went to buy a new bike (not last years model, not used) and discovered scratches and/or chips?

Why am I asking? Glad you asked, it's because of a discussion I had with the lady yesterday about how she wants to go Surly not only because she prefers the look of a Surly but also the last two Trek bikes we got turned her off to Trek.

Examples:
1. She bought a new mountain bike from Trek a few years back. After we got it home (and didn't even ride it yet) she found in one particular spot a lot of scratches. Clearly she was upset and we got it replaced and all was well.
2. This year I get a Gravel bike and also not ridden yet and also new. Yet after we removed it from the store my fiance find a chip of the paint missing. We went in and got a $100 knocked off.

So is it just Trek or is this not so uncommon with other manufacturers? We are questioning the quality of Treks or are we just having bad luck?
Old 09-11-18, 06:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
The title says it all...So is it just Trek or is this not so uncommon with other manufacturers? We are questioning the quality of Treks or are we just having bad luck?
tl:dr: Getting a few bucks knocked off is the right answer. Don't worry about chips or scrapes.

I think that getting the seller to give a discount is the way to handle this. Typically, there can be vibration and rubbing during transport, and chips can happen anytime during assembly or display at a retailer. I've had a dozen of bikes drop shipped to me and I've seen a few small spots of wear.

I personally don't care about chips or scratches, as my bikes will get beat up pretty quickly because they get used. Especially a mountain or gravel bike, where there will be mud, grit, stones, sticks, falls, crashes and leaning the bikes on all kinds of odd objects like boulders, fences, briars and such.

But you should be satisfied with the condition of a new bike when purchased.
Old 09-11-18, 06:36 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the thing, I expect and don't mind wear and tear caused by me. But when it comes new from the store I expect it to be in perfect condition unless it's used. While they compensated me for the issue my question is why this is even happening before use. To me it's either bad luck or lack of quality or not being properly handled before it gets to the customer.

That in short bothers me.
Old 09-11-18, 06:43 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
The title says it all. How many of you went to buy a new bike (not last years model, not used) and discovered scratches and/or chips?

Why am I asking? Glad you asked, it's because of a discussion I had with the lady yesterday about how she wants to go Surly not only because she prefers the look of a Surly but also the last two Trek bikes we got turned her off to Trek.

Examples:
1. She bought a new mountain bike from Trek a few years back. After we got it home (and didn't even ride it yet) she found in one particular spot a lot of scratches. Clearly she was upset and we got it replaced and all was well.
2. This year I get a Gravel bike and also not ridden yet and also new. Yet after we removed it from the store my fiance find a chip of the paint missing. We went in and got a $100 knocked off.

So is it just Trek or is this not so uncommon with other manufacturers? We are questioning the quality of Treks or are we just having bad luck?
Did both bikes come from the same shop? I can't imagine Treks are handled more roughly during building or ship than any other brand, but the issue might be the shop. That said, however, I would say it's a incredible run of bad luck.
Old 09-11-18, 06:53 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Did both bikes come from the same shop? I can't imagine Treks are handled more roughly during building or ship than any other brand, but the issue might be the shop. That said, however, I would say it's a incredible run of bad luck.
Two different shops. One was Zanes and the other was a Trek store.
Old 09-11-18, 06:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
But when it comes new from the store I expect it to be in perfect condition unless it's used.
So, what do you expect them to do with the line of bikes a kid knocked over while dad was buying his new bike, which all picked up minor nicks and scrapes? Sell them all at used for a substantial discount?

Maybe I'm not OCD enough to care about such things, but if the shop knocked off a few bucks because there was a small scratch, I'd be more than happy. There was a bit of a nick in one of the decal of the only bike I've ever bought new, I didn't even bother to ask for more money off when I noticed it unboxing it.
Old 09-11-18, 06:57 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh call it what you want new anything coming damaged isn't right.
Old 09-11-18, 07:24 AM
jefnvk

Then carefully inspect it before purchasing and taking it home, and demand a perfect one if it isn't to your satisfaction?
Old 09-11-18, 07:31 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still waiting for the answer to my initial question than what is acceptable or not. The question is how many of you have bought new bikes finding some sort of damage on it?
Old 09-11-18, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Still waiting for the answer to my initial question than what is acceptable or not. The question is how many of you have bought new bikes finding some sort of damage on it?
Not me, but I'm probably going to scratch it myself within 48 hours of purchase. I have to lock my bike up from time to time, and scratches are just an expected consequence of use.

Are you sure you didn't scratch them while carrying them on the car? That's a bit of a coincidence that you discovered both on the way home after taking them out of the store.
Old 09-11-18, 08:02 AM
jefnvk

I fail to see were you are really going with this. If there was a good one sitting next to it, I would probably pick the good one, price being the same. If not, I'd probably just buy the blemished one, assuming the blemish is small and does not affect functionality. If there was any sort of discount, I'd lose all care as to any blemishes, and buy the cheaper one. As I stated before, my new purchase (which was mail ordered) came with a slight blemish in a decal, unbeknownst to me. No biggie.

To me this is like worrying about the new car on the dealers lot that has a bit of rust on the rotors after a thunderstorm. Some handling scuffs are unavoidable in the bike world. In both cases, it seems like you were well taken care of when the issue was raised, if you will only accept perfect bikes to the point $100 off for a bit of a chip is unacceptable, make sure to scrutinize your purchase before making it.
Old 09-11-18, 08:03 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
is it acceptable, I don't know, did you accept it? The stores tried to satisfy you as a buyer. You can always not buy the thing (whatever thing)
Old 09-11-18, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Not to completely hijack this utterly pointless thread, but has anyone gotten a scratch on a bike that actually improved the appearance of the bike?

I haven't, but I could see how it might theoretically be possible.

Also, anyone seen any good biking movies lately?
Old 09-11-18, 08:38 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
slow day at work huh
Old 09-11-18, 08:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I thought that The Bicycle Thief was a terrific movie, although I haven't seen it in a while. I've also enjoyed Breaking Away very much. I even thought about buying a reproduction Cinzano jersey recently, but decided against it. Fellow riders might cringe, expecting me to plunge my pump into their wheel without provocation.
Old 09-11-18, 08:47 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh just forget it. I'm out!
Old 09-11-18, 08:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Remember a bike mechanic in a small retail shop takes home less money than a bartender..
Old 09-11-18, 08:49 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Remember a bike mechanic in a small retail shop takes home less money than a bartender..
So? You want me to feel sorry for them? You want to make more money then find jobs that allow that. Sometimes doing something you love for a living isn't practical.
Old 09-11-18, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So? You want me to feel sorry for them? You want to make more money then find jobs that allow that. Sometimes doing something you love for a living isn't practical.
Just when you thought you were out, they drag you back in!!!!!
Old 09-11-18, 09:18 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It's a tradeoff you get for being able to test ride the bike before/without purchasing it. I apply the "grandma test" to most things - would my grandmother notice the damage? If yes, it's to much, if no, don't worry about it.

If you really want a pristine bike you can ask them to order you a new bike from the warehouse/manufacturer that no one has test ridden before.
Old 09-11-18, 09:18 AM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sooooo............

You bought a gravel bike.
You took the gravel bike home.
You came back to the bike shop and complained about a paint chip on your gravel bike.
The bike shop gave you $100.

Sounds like the bike shop went the extra mile for you. Not sure how you blew past that and got to "does Trek have a quality problem".
Old 09-11-18, 09:24 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
worse than selling damaged goods, are people that intentionally derail/hijack threads.

IMO we live in an age of very little respect. (as can be seen here with intentional thread hijacking).

All bike shops will have employees that will not respect the Items that a future customer will purchase. This isn't just Trek, but Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, etc... or any of those shops that also sell Surly/Salsa/Soma/AllCity etc...

As for Trek, I think their quality is low. Trek also owns Electra and I have seen serious quality issues with Electra.

As for the following 'quote' whatever happened to the era of you damage it, you buy it? Respect isn't the only thing that is going to hell, Morals are too it seems.
So, what do you expect them to do with the line of bikes a kid knocked over while dad was buying his new bike, which all picked up minor nicks and scrapes? Sell them all at used for a substantial discount?
Old 09-11-18, 09:31 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Ultimately we all get to decide for ourselves whether or not it is acceptable. I tend to be a little anal, so I inspect them closely before I buy.
Old 09-11-18, 09:31 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
On my purchase from an LBS, I had to take a bicycle that was on the floor and already built. I ask if they would build me one and the answer was no. I was spending $1200. I tried to pick the best one on the floor. When I got it home I found out that the saddle stem had been scratched up pretty badly(it was hidden in the tube). Seems when a customer tried out the bicycle they adjusted the saddle for that person and scratched things up. I am a perfectionist, so figured this was just a message to live with it, and I did. I have purchased new automobiles also thinking it would be perfect, but usually they are not.
Old 09-11-18, 09:36 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
In the guitar world a pre-scratched guitar is called a relic and it costs more than one that is in pristine condition. I don't get it at all, but there seems to be a demand for such nonsense as people are willing to part with their money for a NEW guitar with FAKE wear.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...e-stratocaster

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...by-dale-wilson

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.