Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Transporting Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 12:05 PM
ag702

Bikes: Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transporting Bike

Hi, I'm new to cycling and I just purchase a new bike (Domane SL5 Disc), and I'm looking to purchase a roof rack for my car. Was looking online to save a few $$ and was wonder if a fork system would work ok with my bike for now until I can get a carrier style rack?
Old 09-11-18, 12:25 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Why wouldn't it work?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "fork system"... remove the front wheel and attach it that way? What's a carrier style rack, you mean for the back of the car?

DOn't do what this guy did, at any rate:
Old 09-11-18, 04:12 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Two issues - (1) you have to check if the clamping system on the carrier is OK for carbon bikes.

(2) Since you have disc brakes, you need to make sure the carrier works with through-axles, vs. quick release skewers and standard dropout forks. You might need an a adapter.

I think the good news is that the major rooftop carrier vendors (like Thule/Yakima) have fork mount for disc brake bikes now - dunno if the cheap guys do, so make sure you check.

If you park in a garage, worth Googling "car top reminders" - none are perfect, but if you park in a garage there are actually phone apps that you warn you when you are approaching your house! My wife drove under an ATM machine overhang once with bikes on top - the app wouldn't have helped there, tho...

Last edited by jpescatore; 09-11-18 at 04:13 AM. Reason: fixing error
Old 09-11-18, 04:24 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I bought both my roof top carriers (Thule and Rocky Mounts) from Craigslist to save money. Sometimes you just need to purchase the rubber feet for your specific car from a dealer but you will be able to find everything second hand and save a lot of money.

Congratulations on your new bike.
Old 09-11-18, 05:06 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Having a shipping shim (or some other item) to prevent the front caliper from overextension should someone smash the brake handle with the wheel/disc out is not a bad idea. Lots of ideas out there if you can't get the shipping shim (I couldn't)...I use a composite door shim and a piece of painters tape.

I use a Rocky Mount Hot Rod (12mm) mounted on a 2x4 when carrying my bike upright in our minivan.

You're gonna love your Domane.
Old 09-11-18, 07:01 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Why wouldn't it work?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "fork system"... remove the front wheel and attach it that way? What's a carrier style rack, you mean for the back of the car?

DOn't do what this guy did, at any rate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvhgQCijvQ
And that my friends is why I will never use roof storage for the bike!

Here in CT we have what is known as the Merritt Parkway among other low clearance bridges. I am tow-hitch all the way or put it in the car.
Old 09-11-18, 07:46 AM
noimagination

Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy

Here in CT we have what is known as the Merritt Parkway among other low clearance bridges. I am tow-hitch all the way or put it in the car.
I've driven the Merritt many, many (many, many, many...) times with bikes on the roof, including on top of our minivan. There was one bridge we went around, twice, when it was under construction several years ago, and we had the bikes on the minivan. Otherwise, never an issue.

It is true that there are risks using a roof rack, including the risk of driving under a low overhang. There are also risks using a tow hitch, however, including backing into things or other cars backing into (or fronting into) the bikes. No solution is perfect. You pays your money and you takes your chances, just like everything else in life.
Old 09-11-18, 02:47 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy

Seems to me you have a far greater chance of being rear ended with the bikes on a rear mount than you do of having them damaged from low clearance. (Known in Boston as getting Storrowed from people trying to take oversized trucks on Storrow drive with its low bridges).

If you aren't stupid or forgetful, the roof rack won't be a problem. You have no control over getting hit from behind. Yet I have a hitch rack because the roof rack isn't an option on my Beetle Convertible.
Old 09-11-18, 03:36 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I just about lost a bike at 70mph on the highway on a trunk mount. Our bikes now ride in a van.
Old 09-12-18, 06:10 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I switched from roof rack to hitch mount rear rack years ago. Had three incidents* with bikes on roof over 5 years, zero incidents with bike on rear in 10 years. You can see the bike(s) on the back when you are driving, you can't see them on the roof. If I had to leave bikes on car outside overnight (very rare, but occasionally on vacation) I would just back into a spot.

I still occasionally use the roof rack to carry 5 bikes on my Subaru Outback (3 on back, 2 on top) but the bikes on the rear are a constant reminder of the bikes on top!

I very often still use roof carrier for kayaking but you can see the front of the kayak(s) when you look out the windshield.

* Incidents: (1) - wife smashes bikes on ATM overhang, minor damage; (2) I drive into garage, break seat and one mount tray; (3) Friends aluminum Cannondale with beer can sized down tube comes out of clamp, flops over and scratches car and that bike - looked like animals clawing at them...
Old 09-12-18, 01:20 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I drive a full-size Ford F series pick up with an 8' bed. No worries about low over heads or getting rear-ended. And no, the bike is not free to slide all over Hell's Half Acre while in the truck bed. It is secured in a Top Line UG-2500 inside-the-bed rack.
Jon
Old 09-12-18, 03:32 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1upusa
Old 09-12-18, 04:37 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
1upusa
Definitely my choice.

I even got rear ended once with that rack (lightly). No damage to my rack or bike because he hit that thick aluminum bar in the center dead on.

If you get rear ended, it's somebody else's insurance paying for your bike. If you hit your roof mounted bike on a low overhang... you're up. That's my thought process anyway.
Old 09-13-18, 11:32 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I've driven the Merritt many, many (many, many, many...) times with bikes on the roof, including on top of our minivan. There was one bridge we went around, twice, when it was under construction several years ago, and we had the bikes on the minivan. Otherwise, never an issue.
The problem is, it's not like "it's only a problem after the 3rd time". You forget just one time when it matters and your bike is destroyed.

Originally Posted by noimagination
It is true that there are risks using a roof rack, including the risk of driving under a low overhang. There are also risks using a tow hitch, however, including backing into things or other cars backing into (or fronting into) the bikes. No solution is perfect. You pays your money and you takes your chances, just like everything else in life.
That is true, but at least for some (many) people like myself, if I can't see it in front of me my brain will sometimes forget that it's there.
When I had a canoe that you could see hanging out over the windshield I never had an issue of forgetting it was there.
When my dad (I'm in my 30's btw) got kayaks that went on the top of the car and you couldn't see from the drivers seat, I put the garage door opener in the glovebox to avoid accidentally pulling into the garage with the kayaks on top. More than once I was like "where's the dang remote, I need to open the gara....oh right I don't want to do that".

I've known one person to have their bikes destroyed on their rear rack (they didn't put them on right) and several people to screw up their bikes/boats on their roof rack. Maybe some peoples brains are better at remembering this stuff than mine is.

I just wouldn't put a $2,600 bike on a roof rack because I know at some point I would forget it was up there.
Old 09-14-18, 04:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If the rear seat folds down, put it inside where its the safest.

Old 09-14-18, 06:04 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Inside or a hitch mount. Forget the roof rack. One slip and you have a nice scratch on your car. One senior moment and you lose the bike off os the top of the roof as in the video. Not worth it.
Old 09-14-18, 07:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by spinnaker
or a hitch mount.
Or have someone texting at a red light and roll into you when their foot comes off the brake pedal.
Old 09-14-18, 08:12 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Or have someone texting at a red light and roll into you when their foot comes off the brake pedal.
Then the person that hits you buys a new bike.

Maybe you should just stay at home and not ride your bike because the same thing can happen to you are out on a ride.
Old 09-14-18, 08:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Then the person that hits you buys a new bike.

Maybe you should just stay at home and not ride your bike because the same thing can happen to you are out on a ride.
Ever hear of depreciation?

He files an insurance claim and his insurance company values your 3 year old $10,000 bike at $2500. Sure you can sue but what will that cost you in cash and time?

New bike... sure, just not the one you lost.

Inside is the safest.

And i rather crash and crack my frame on a ride than have it cracked when rear ended. I bet a 3000lb. car rolling at 3mph will crack a carbon frame.

A 2017 Trek Emonda SLR 10 has a MSRP of $11,000, resale value is $5250 in excellent condition and $3250 in fair. And that's a one year old bike with no upgrades or additions.

Last edited by GlennR; 09-14-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 08:25 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Ever hear of depreciation?

He files an insurance claim and his insurance company values your 3 year old $10,000 bike at $2500. Sure you can sue but what will that cost you in cash and time?

New bike... sure, just not the one you lost.

Inside is the safest.

And i rather crash and crack my frame on a ride than have it cracked when rear ended. I bet a 3000lb. car rolling at 3mph will crack a carbon frame.

A 2017 Trek Emonda SLR 10 has a MSRP of $11,000, resale value is $5250 in excellent condition and $3250 in fair. And that's a one year old bike with no upgrades or additions.

The texter slams into the back of your $30K car and you walk away with $20K. What is the difference?

If you can't afford to lose a $10K bike then don't ride a $10K bike. It can be stolen, you can crash lots of things can happen to it. I don't ride a $10K bike because my $1K cannondale suits me fine and if I were to lose it somehow it really would not be that painful financially to replace .

Yes it is safer inside but it might not be an option and certainly it can be inconvenient.
Old 09-15-18, 10:50 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Definitely my choice.

I even got rear ended once with that rack (lightly). No damage to my rack or bike because he hit that thick aluminum bar in the center dead on.

If you get rear ended, it's somebody else's insurance paying for your bike. If you hit your roof mounted bike on a low overhang... you're up. That's my thought process anyway.
Hey now, that's a good point! I've only been rear ended a couple of times (all minor). The main reason I went hitch over roof mount (I'm embarrassed to admit) was the drag I perceived would be imparted to my vehicle while driving...

Other reasons were: price, ease of installation and ease of use.

Finally, having a hitch can be super useful!
Old 09-15-18, 12:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

The texter slams into the back of your $30K car and you walk away with $20K. What is the difference?

If you can't afford to lose a $10K bike then don't ride a $10K bike. It can be stolen, you can crash lots of things can happen to it. I don't ride a $10K bike because my $1K cannondale suits me fine and if I were to lose it somehow it really would not be that painful financially to replace .

Yes it is safer inside but it might not be an option and certainly it can be inconvenient.
A year ago I was driving in stop and go traffic with damp roads. I stopped and the young lady behind slid and 'tapped" my rear bumper. The only damage was 2 marks from the screw heads that held her front license plate on. since the car was only a few months old I wanted to get it repaired. She offered to pay cash and not go through insurance.I was able to get a factory replacement bumper cover, have it painted to match and a guarantee that it will looks as good as the rest of the car for $600. The car was as good as new.

Three weeks later the car in front of me stopped short, I slammed on the brakes and stopped. Unfortunately the 60,000lbs garbage truck behind could not and hit me pushing me into the F150 that was in front. Yes, if my bike was in the car it would of been destroyed, but I was just glad to walk away. Two days later I received a check for $3000 less than the purchase price since the car was a year old and had 27,000 miles. I asked my broker what would of happened if the bike was in the car and he said it would be depreciated and i'd get a check.

Now if the bike is stolen, it's covered by my home owners insurance. And like i said, i rather crash riding it than have it destroyed by a minor "tap" from the car behind.

Yes, you have to be prepared for the bike to be damaged or stolen, but you can lessen the chances by not leaving your garage door open all the time with the bike in plain sight. And by transporting it inside where it is the safest. Nothing is bullet proof.

As to your $1000 Cannondale, i'm glad you're happy with it. I have 2 bikes and every time I ride either of them, I fully enjoy it.
Old 09-15-18, 06:31 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I used to use roof racks because they hold the bikes securely and away from each other, and they lock.. I avoided driving into the garage with the bike on top by moving the garage door opener. I have also seen people put a garbage can just inside the door.
My daughter got my car when she went to grad school.
My new car has aerobars, so my roof racks won't fit. For the number of times I carry bikes I was not going to to spend $300+ for roof racks, or put on a hitch receiver and buy a hitch rack.
I bought a strap on rack (Thule) for $40 from Craigslist, and it works well. A cable lock through the wheels and frame and the lock in the trunk with the lid locked works for stops. For overnight, I bring the bikes inside.
Old 09-15-18, 07:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I switched from roof rack to hitch mount rear rack years ago.
Be aware that hitch rack aren’t perfect. Found just about 20 miles from Devil’s Tower in Wyoming.

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr
image by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I’ll bet it was a hitch rack on an RV or on a vehicle towed by an RV and on a uphill. It looks like the threaded pin worked loose and the bikes were just gone. 4 of them all locked together. I put it at about $6000 of twisted bike parts sitting on the side of the road.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!